ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Offer/Commitment List

I think my two biggest questions with Iowa's recruiting right now are: 1) who are we going to get in the 2023 class, and 2) what's the plan for PG after Clark?

I still don't have much of a feel for the 2023 class at this point. I think the coaches want Crooks, but beyond her, I don't really have much of an idea. Based on roster construction, you would think they should target guards/wings. But the known offer/interest list posted earlier on this page seems relatively small.

As for PG, it doesn't look like we're targeting a ton of them in the 2023 class. Levin probably isn't a player you can just hand the keys to as a true freshman. Are the coaches banking on landing one of Olson or Prince and letting them run the show from day 1 like Clark did? If it works out, that's great for the team's future. If it doesn't, I'm not really seeing a good plan B right now unless we dip into the transfer portal.

Stuelke and Gyamfi were recruited for the 4 but due to their versatility can swing to the 3 or 5 if Iowa wants to go to a small lineup. They are likely to get more looks than say Logan Cook, she's a great Hawkeye but these two are likely to be more ready to go from day 1.

Audi Crooks has good options, she really cannot go wrong but I hope she chooses Iowa. I think Iowa State will remain a big contender due to her AAU team, there is a connection with her program & Iowa State. Like Braydon, I am more concerned about the point guard & even depth at the 2 right now.

Stuelke and Gyamfi were recruited for the 4 but due to their versatility can swing to the 3 or 5 if Iowa wants to go to a small lineup. They are likely to get more looks than say Logan Cook, she's a great Hawkeye but these two are likely to be more ready to go from day 1.

Audi Crooks has good options, she really cannot go wrong but I hope she chooses Iowa. I think Iowa State will remain a big contender due to her AAU team, there is a connection with her program & Iowa State. Like Braydon, I am more concerned about the point guard & even depth at the 2 right now.
I agree that we really need a PG more than we need Crooks. Obviously we would love to get her but a PG is heavily needed. It’ll be the same scenario for Jan that she faced with trying to find someone to recruit after Megan but this time with Caitlin. Going to be hard to find someone that wants to play backup.

I think it would be great if we got Taylor Woodson for ‘23. Not sure how heavily we’re going after her though.

One thing Iowa should consider when recruiting a point guard is suggesting that Caitlin could play off the ball some, this offers some playing time with her instead of behind her. Caitlin can do it, she did it this past summer on team USA as the 2 guard & earned the tournament MVP. With her ability at 6'0 she'd still be a matchup nightmare at the 2 for opponents.

Reactions: undersized_post
Sure would be nice to sit down with Lisa and Jan, and pick their brain about recruiting. What they see in this person vs that person, and what kind of person for that position. I'm sure academics play a big role in who gets offered.

Reactions: mphawk
One thing Iowa should consider when recruiting a point guard is suggesting that Caitlin could play off the ball some, this offers some playing time with her instead of behind her. Caitlin can do it, she did it this past summer on team USA as the 2 guard & earned the tournament MVP. With her ability at 6'0 she'd still be a matchup nightmare at the 2 for opponents.
I think that pitch might work for a transfer portal player this off-season. I'm not sure it would work well for a PG in the 2023 class.

I think there's a decent chance Kate and Gabbie stay for Clark's senior season. If they do, they're going to get a lot of minutes. At that point, Feuerbach, McCabe, and Affolter will also have a lot of experience in the program if they're still here. I don't think a true freshman PG is going to break into the rotation at that point unless they're one of the best PGs in the class. I'm not even sure a PG that would fit that description is even still available.

My ideal scenario is for Iowa to land one of Olson or Prince in the 2024 class and have Levin as a backup opinion. In the interim, either bring in a wing that can play some PG or focus Feuerbach's development as a backup 1. I realize this plan doesn't have a great Plan B, but it also gives us the best chance to continue to be a top Big Ten program post Clark. I think we need an elite PG to be good enough to challenge for Sweet 16s or more.

If Caitlin is going to help Iowa up its recruiting game, one would think it would show up in the class of ‘23, or in the portal this spring.

I don't see Olson playing PG in college at least not at the P5 conferences. Shooting or small forward. I maybe wrong, wouldn't be first time.

I don't see Olson playing PG in college at least not at the P5 conferences. Shooting or small forward. I maybe wrong, wouldn't be first time.
2/3 might be her best position on a team like UConn, but I'm a big proponent of running the offense through your elite guard as much as possible if you have one. If we get Olson, I think she'll be our best bet at PG unless we also get a really good PG in the 2023 or 2024 classes or in the portal.

Watching Feuerbach’s play recently me thinks she is doing a really good job running the point when Clark is s out, but we’ll see how well that continues in the B1G

I’ve heard from reliable sources Iowa is putting the full court press on Sahara Williams the junior wing from Waterloo West.
Can someone describe her game, skill level and athleticism? I see Blue Star has her as the #24 player in the ‘23 class.

If Caitlin is going to help Iowa up its recruiting game, one would think it would show up in the class of ‘23, or in the portal this spring.
I think it depends on what we think of as "help". I don't think we've seen anyone yet commit to Iowa specifically to play with Clark (other that maybe Feuerbach). And frankly we might not see anyone do that.

On the other hand, Iowa's recruiting has gotten significantly better in the last couple classes. We're consistently getting commitments and consideration from Top 100 players now. Before, we were getting maybe 1 per class, at least for a while.

Part of that, I think, is the continued success we've had from Gustafson to Doyle to Clark. If we continue to be ranked and make deep tournament runs the next few years, this recruiting uptick might hold or even improve. If that happens, Clark will have "helped" Iowa's recruiting without that help being as cut and dry as player X committing to play with Clark.

Watching Feuerbach’s play recently me thinks she is doing a really good job running the point when Clark is s out, but we’ll see how well that continues in the B1G
I think she is has the most potential out of the options on this team, but its clear that its not her natural position. They are also asking her to play multiple spots, so it hasn't been the only thing shes working on. I think shes OK against most competition, but has a ways to go before there isnt a huge drop off from Caitlin to Kylie against top 25 type teams. If clark gets in foul trouble against a good defensive team Iowas in trouble. It does seem like shes starting to figure it out though.

Reactions: EduNeerHawk
Prediction on Maddyn Greenway's position in college? She plays point guard now, but of course she's only in the 8th grade.

Sahara is a 5’10 wing with athleticism, a decent handle, and a good 3pt. shot. Is an excellent defender.

Prediction on Maddyn Greenway's position in college? She plays point guard now, but of course she's only in the 8th grade.
Right now, her skillset looks best at PG. She's also really short (5'6') so unless she grows more, she's going to be limited to playing the 1 or 2.

I wouldn't count on transfer portal help. The Feuerbach situation was unique due to her relationships with the coaching staff during her prep recruitment & several players including Caitlin. Lisa doesn't care much for the portal or transfers in general saying it can negatively effect team chemistry, but times are changing. There are a few nice options in '23 yet.

Audi Crooks, does anyone know how the Hawks stand in her recruitment?

Not a ton here but it sounds like she’s planning on taking some more unofficial visits. Both Iowa and Iowa State seem solidly in the mix.

Neither Lisa, Fran, nor Kirk are fans of the portal but IMO are making a huge mistake. The portal has totally changed the dynamics of recruiting. Lisa has probably a once in a lifetime talent in Clark and with portal help could put the Hawks in the hunt for a final 4.

I don't see us going into the transfer portal either even though I wish we would. I can only see Lisa looking in there if there is someone, like Kylie, that we tried to recruit. I'm just happy that 3/3 of our 2022 commits are in the Top 100. We'll see how they adjust though.

A look at the ESPN recruiting rankings of our current roster and the incoming freshmen for next season
*Keep in mind that the person who does the rankings for ESPN changed

Caitlin: 98, 5-star, #4
AJ: 93, 4-star, #39
Kylie: 95, 4-star, #71
McKenna: 94, 4-star, #84
Addison: 91, 4-star, #92
Monika: 90, 3-star, NR
Kate: 90, 3-star, NR
Gabbie: 90, 3-star, NR
Shateah: 90, 3-star, NR
Sharon: 90, 3-star, NR
Tomi: 88, 3-star, NR
Logan: 88, 3-star, NR
Sydney: NR, not on ESPN

INCOMING 2022:
Hannah: 94, 4-star, #45
Jada: 92, 4-star, #76
Taylor: 91, 4-star, #89

Reactions: HIWILLE
. . ..
On the other hand, Iowa's recruiting has gotten significantly better in the last couple classes. We're consistently getting commitments and consideration from Top 100 players now. Before, we were getting maybe 1 per class, at least for a while. . . .
I fear your praise of the current (‘21) class is based too much on rankings, and not enough based on offers. Of course, offer lists are also not a perfect way to judge players. Still, while we’ve only seen snippets of Ediger and Affolter, what we’ve seen so far is way more consistent with their offer lists than their rankings.

Ediger is from the heart of Big Ten country in Michigan, but the better teams and programs in the league all passed on her, except Iowa, with Nebraska being her only other BIG offer. Affolter had a better offer list, but most of the better programs that recruit Chicagoland passed on her, though she was also offered by Michigan State and Northwestern.

Even O’Grady, the Coloradan who has shown she can play in the Big Ten, could not garner interest from the upper half of the PAC 12, with her PAC 12 offers coming from Colorado, Utah and Washington.

In my mind, now that we’ve seen them play, the ‘21 freshman class is more like a typical Bluder class, rather than a class that can lead you to a Sweet 16 or a top 15 ranking finish (something Bluder has achieved only once).

Last edited:
Reactions: ft254
I fear your praise of the current (‘21) class is based too much on rankings, and not enough based on offers. Of course, offer lists are also not a perfect way to judge players. Still, while we’ve only seen snippets of Ediger and Affolter, what we’ve seen so far is way more consistent with their offer lists than their rankings.

Ediger is from the heart of Big Ten country in Michigan, but the better teams and programs in the league all passed on her, except Iowa, with Nebraska being her only other BIG offer. Affolter had a better offer list, but most of the better programs that recruit Chicagoland passed on her, though she was also offered by Michigan State and Northwestern.

Even O’Grady, the Coloradan who has shown she can play in the Big Ten, could not garner interest from the upper half of the PAC 12, with her PAC 12 offers coming from Colorado, Utah and Washington.

In my mind, now that we’ve seen them play, the ‘21 freshman class is more like a typical Bluder class, rather than a class that can lead you to a Sweet 16 or a top 15 ranking finish (something Bluder has achieved only once).
From what you saw in Megan Gustafson and Monica Czinano as freshmen, did you see what they would become? My point is it's too early to judge this year's class.

Even those offers are better than the offers from some of our classes, though. Let's compare with the 2018 class. Here are the notable offers that I wrote down for each player (so I might be missing some):

Logan Cook- Creighton, Drake, Miami Ohio
Kate Martin- DePaul, Wisconsin, Illinois, St. Louis
Tomi Taiwo- Bradley, Ball State, Miami Ohio, Penn, Brown
Monica Czinano- I don't have any information on Monika, but saw recently that she wasn't offered by Minnesota.

That's two starters and two role players on our current team, and their offer lists are all clearly below each of the players in the 2021 class.

Part of our issue with evaluating the 2021 class is that our roster now is better than it has been for a while. O'Grady has been very inconsistent, but has had a couple games where she looked like a future all-conference player. Affolter hasn't gotten to play much, but has flashed big rebounding and defensive potential. Ediger I'm more worried about because I don't know what her best position is, but she also stepped up and did well in the Nebraska game when we needed her to.

Even those offers are better than the offers from some of our classes, though. Let's compare with the 2018 class. Here are the notable offers that I wrote down for each player (so I might be missing some):

Logan Cook- Creighton, Drake, Miami Ohio
Kate Martin- DePaul, Wisconsin, Illinois, St. Louis
Tomi Taiwo- Bradley, Ball State, Miami Ohio, Penn, Brown
Monica Czinano- I don't have any information on Monika, but saw recently that she wasn't offered by Minnesota.

That's two starters and two role players on our current team, and their offer lists are all clearly below each of the players in the 2021 class.

Part of our issue with evaluating the 2021 class is that our roster now is better than it has been for a while. O'Grady has been very inconsistent, but has had a couple games where she looked like a future all-conference player. Affolter hasn't gotten to play much, but has flashed big rebounding and defensive potential. Ediger I'm more worried about because I don't know what her best position is, but she also stepped up and did well in the Nebraska game when we needed her to.
Not sure I agree on Affolter, but some good points.

Not sure I agree on Affolter, but some good points.
I actually like Affolter better than Kate as a prospect out of high school with one caveat. Affolter was a really good rebounder in high school. Like uniquely good for a guard/wing. I also think she's more athletic than Kate, and thus has more defensive potential.

The caveat is that Kate seems to be extremely coachable and I think that's helped her development quite a bit. Kate wasn't very good as a redshirt freshman. Frankly, I thought the coaches played her too much. Early last year, she seemed almost afraid to shoot a 3 at times. Since then, she's learned to trust her shot and shoot when open. She's taken on more ball-handling responsibilities. And she's gotten far better at driving and moving off the ball.

I think a lot of Affolter's mistakes so far have mostly been mental. Trying to do too much in the minutes she's in. Not knowing what to do in a particular situation. Those are all fixable with experience and coaching, but if she's not coachable, they might not get fixed. It remains to be seen how coachable she is.

As freshmen centers many played in the summer leagues, I could see Megan being really good at Iowa, first team AA good no , but her timing, hands, rebounding, effort and shooting form. In comparison Doolittle, Monica and Morgan , all looked awkward with some having poor shooting mechanics. I agree with the Sydney vs Kate comparison. I like her game at this point over Kate and Tomi as freshmen. Sydney is not afraid to play, gives great effort on defense and rebounding. on offense she is differing to starters to score. Yet I can see her becoming as good or better than Kate. Blunder commented how hard she works in practice, she wishes for opportunities to get her more minutes.

I do believe Stanford offered Addie O'Grady according to their site. Give her some time to develop, she has a solid base to start with including size 6'4 & good shooting mechanics. She played alongside #1 upcoming recruit 6'7 Lauren Betts for 3 HS & AAU seasons so she isn't going to be as polished in the post.

I listened to a podcast with Coach Jensen before the season started. The question was 'which of the players could make an impact this season that may be unexpected'. She mentioned O'Grady is the tallest player on the team and can shoot threes and could create tough match-ups at the 4. Going into the season I expected her to be a 4, but with the injury to Goodman they may have needed her to step into the 5. It wouldn't surprise me if she saw time at the 4 next season if Monika returns and Goodman is back.

I listened to a podcast with Coach Jensen before the season started. The question was 'which of the players could make an impact this season that may be unexpected'. She mentioned O'Grady is the tallest player on the team and can shoot threes and could create tough match-ups at the 4. Going into the season I expected her to be a 4, but with the injury to Goodman they may have needed her to step into the 5. It wouldn't surprise me if she saw time at the 4 next season if Monika returns and Goodman is back.
I question whether the coaches are still thinking about O'Grady at the 4 simply because now would be the perfect time to experiment with it. We literally don't have a backup 4 right now. When Warnock is out, we move to a 4 guard lineup. O'Grady at the 4 in backup minutes would help rebounding significantly.

If they aren't using her in that role this year when there's a clear opening, I'm not sure they will in the future when we'll have more natural 4s on the roster.

I actually like Affolter better than Kate as a prospect out of high school with one caveat. Affolter was a really good rebounder in high school. Like uniquely good for a guard/wing. I also think she's more athletic than Kate, and thus has more defensive potential.

The caveat is that Kate seems to be extremely coachable and I think that's helped her development quite a bit. Kate wasn't very good as a redshirt freshman. Frankly, I thought the coaches played her too much. Early last year, she seemed almost afraid to shoot a 3 at times. Since then, she's learned to trust her shot and shoot when open. She's taken on more ball-handling responsibilities. And she's gotten far better at driving and moving off the ball.

I think a lot of Affolter's mistakes so far have mostly been mental. Trying to do too much in the minutes she's in. Not knowing what to do in a particular situation. Those are all fixable with experience and coaching, but if she's not coachable, they might not get fixed. It remains to be seen how coachable she is.
Kate struggled with confidence her RS Freshman season coming off the ACL injury. She had really good HS tape.

Syd needs to work on her handles. She and Kate are kind of opposite in that Kate is a tall guard who developed into a forward. I think Syd is more of a forward having to learn the guard skills for Bluder's offense. But I haven't seen enough of her game to get a feel. She definitely plays with the same intensity as Kate.

I've been really impressed with AJ Ediger and really hope that she can get some more early minutes. Maybe sub in her for a few minutes for McKenna because she has decent range. Not going to light it up outside but some smooth jumpers and obviously can still rebound and get into the paint.

Reactions: natchrlman
ADVERTISEMENT