ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Offer/Commitment List

I think it is more likely that O'Grady would transfer if someone does. I see Goodman sharing the center position with Monika next year, then having it herself the following two years. That is assuming that following rehab she returns to her form at the end of her freshman year. And I am not predicting either will transfer.
IMO, O'Grady has significantly more potential than MC or SG. Hopefully she stays, even if MC does as well.

McCabe is a true sniper in the mold of Melissa Dixon and Lindsey Meder. On tape she has has an extremely quick release and recently set the Nebraska state record for 3 point makes in a career. I would be surprised if she does not receive quality playing time as a freshman.

McCabe is a true sniper in the mold of Melissa Dixon and Lindsey Meder. On tape she has has an extremely quick release and recently set the Nebraska state record for 3 point makes in a career. I would be surprised if she does not receive quality playing time as a freshman.
Hope she's as good as Dixon! Two quick triggers between her and Clark will make the defense spin around like headless chicken.

IMO, O'Grady has significantly more potential than MC or SG. Hopefully she stays, even if MC does as well.
They are different players. Sharon is a traditional big in the mold of Cavey/Doolittle. O'Grady is more of a combo F/C who can stretch the floor to some extent. Still waiting for her to hit from outside 15.

Sharon has good range 15 feet and in. She has the advantage as a defensive presence and was a better shot blocker/rebounder than O'Grady is/has been so far this season.

I would really love if O'Grady is able to redshirt next season. She is a little raw yet not being a starter in HS and having limited minutes this year and could benefit from a year to work on her footwork and S&C. She is a little light and gets bullied a little, particularly on D. We are also really loaded at the 4/5 next year.

Sharon is already very strong and more physically adept to BIG play. A lot will depend on her rehab and where she is at the start of next season. But go back and look at her game VS Michigan last year where she put up 10 points and 3 rebounds in 15 minutes of play. It's easy to look at her numbers and overlook her but she did flash in limited minutes. She had some nice blocks last year too which is what I most remember and she passed well kicking to Mckenna or out to the perimeter for threes.

They're just different players. But I could see good things from either depending on how things shake out.

One concern I have heard is her size as she is 5’6” and uncertainty as whether she will have a growth spurt.

Reactions: BraydonRoberts5
Hannah Stuelke is really good. She can post up and has great moves, she can hit from outside, and can really run the floor. She will get some quality PT in year 1.
I agree Sute, really good.....also, she plays with a take no prisoners attitude....wow. I like that and what this teams needs more of especially to make the ultimate run in the tourny....put that with how Caitlin plays......just play relentless with the talent.....hard to lose games.

I also really like Addison O'Grady, I just think we are at the tip of the iceberg with her play and potential ....she plays with an attitude too and if she plays with more....watch out...

One concern I have heard is her size as she is 5’6” and uncertainty as whether she will have a growth spurt.
My daughter is in 10th grade now and she is 5’9””, 8th grade she was 5’6”. I’m 6’1” and I believe her Dad is around 6’3”. I could see her reaching 5’10”.

Reactions: Suterman

I feel like it’s a matter of when we offer. Jan Jensen, Abby Stamp, Jenni Fitzgerald and Lisa Bluder all liked my tweet about Greenway yesterday.
I'm somewhat surprised we haven't offered yet unless the coaches are just waiting until she's actually in high school. Based on what Maddyn has said, this is a slam dunk. I'd be surprised if she doesn't commit as soon as she's offered.

It's also a fairly low-risk, high-reward move for the program. Even if Maddyn doesn't grow another inch, her floor is probably a backup PG. And she has considerably more upside than that, especially if she grows. She will also likely spend the next few years advocating for the program and trying to get other top players in her class and the classes around her to join her at Iowa.

When people talk about why better players aren't coming to play with Clark at Iowa, I think they forget how early recruiting decisions often happen in women's basketball and how late Clark committed. Hannah Stuelke, for example, actually committed to Iowa more than 6 months before Clark did. If we want top classes, having one of the best players in the class recruiting her peers for years is a huge benefit.

I feel like it’s a matter of when we offer. Jan Jensen, Abby Stamp, Jenni Fitzgerald and Lisa Bluder all liked my tweet about Greenway yesterday.
What do you know about the level of competition Greenway plays against? If she as a middle schooler she is scoring at that rate against decent high school teams and defenders that are 2,3, or 4 years older..... that says something!

What do you know about the level of competition Greenway plays against? If she as a middle schooler she is scoring at that rate against decent high school teams and defenders that are 2,3, or 4 years older..... that says something!
I looked at her school’s schedule, box scores, and the Minnesota high school rankings. There are four classes in Minnesota; 4A is the largest and 1A the smallest. She plays for Providence Academy, which is ranked 5th in 2A with a record of 18-4. Their four losses are to the #1 team in 2A, two schools in the top 3 in 3A, and Dowling which is 5th in 5A in Iowa. Most of their wins are blowouts. She has had more than 20 points and been her team’s leading scorer in each of the last eight games.

Here is a pretty recent vid of Maddyn playing against Olivia Olson's team and I believe Olivia is the #1 talent in the state who Lisa is recruiting. The game starts out slow for Providence and Maddyn but they are a pretty good team what I could see and if Maddyn is only in 8th grade here.....color me impressed with her talent, handles and attitude to play aggressive. She will only get better. Little #3 on her team shoots the ball well.

Her team ends up winning the game too....nicely done.

Iowa had Tania Davis at 5'3 and she was an integral part of the Elite 8 team. Iowa even had Davis and 5'5 Whitney Jennings together for a year. I don't think it's an issue. As I said before, it's harder to steal the ball from shorter guards since they dribble closer to the floor. Having a combination of tall and short guards can be beneficial.

Reactions: natchrlman
Iowa had Tania Davis at 5'3 and she was an integral part of the Elite 8 team. Iowa even had Davis and 5'5 Whitney Jennings together for a year. I don't think it's an issue. As I said before, it's harder to steal the ball from shorter guards since they dribble closer to the floor. Having a combination of tall and short guards can be beneficial.
It's also harder to score in the paint at that height, though. Davis's last two seasons, she shot 32.7% and 45.2% from 2. Jennings never topped 45%. Iowa's starting guards are all above 48% from 2 this year, with Clark and Martin being in the mid-50s.

From the video, driving is a big part of Maddyn's game. If she doesn't grow more, I fear she will struggle to finish in the paint, especially against teams with somewhat athletic rim protectors.

Chad is 6’2” and her mother looks to be very short, like 5’3”range . Taking after her mom it looks like to me. You just never know.

Why offer Greenway now? She has already said Iowa is her dream school. You get the benefit of waiting/watching to see if she grows. I've been skewered for this here in the past but there are a 8-10 girls in the state of Iowa that are in the 8th grade/freshman class that I think are better players currently. It's easy to get caught up in the points scored but I've seen head to head match ups with other similar aged kids who I would put ahead of her. Just my opinion.

Reactions: LinusPF and BGHAWK
I was curious so I went back and looked and the last time all of our recruits were in the top 100 was the 2015 class with Tania Davis, Megan Gustafson, Hannah Stewart, and Tagyn Larson (transferred). This was the class that took us to the Elite 8.

I was curious so I went back and looked and the last time all of our recruits were in the top 100 was the 2015 class with Tania Davis, Megan Gustafson, Hannah Stewart, and Tagyn Larson (transferred). This was the class that took us to the Elite 8.
As relevant to this week, that 2015 class included Ali Patberg, the Jess Settles of Big Ten WBB.

• Haha
Reactions: natchrlman
Depending on how you define Top 100 (ESPN only or including other rankings) this year's freshman class could also qualify. Ediger and O'Grady were both top 100 for ESPN. Affolter was top 100 in another service. Interestingly, Ediger was clearly the highest rated for the three, and she's had the smallest impact so far.

I'm excited that we have back to back classes with highly ranked players. That 2015 class was followed up by Doyle, Meyer, and Ollinger, and together they formed most of the contributors to our Elite 8 team. Hopefully we get similar results from these two classes.

Reactions: crstuff
Warnock is in that spot and if someone called her a guard I wouldn’t say that’s wrong I guess.
Apologies for my tone, but if Warnock is a guard, then words no longer have meaning. Warnock has approaching zero of the ball handling skills that a guard should have. Can she bring the ball up the court under pressure? The answer is no. When she gets the ball on the perimeter and is guarded by an athletic wing, all she usually can do is stand tall and look to pass. When she does try to drive against an athletic wing, it usually ends up in a block or her falling down. Occasionally something good happens when she drives, but it is not a frequent occurrence.

Warnock is a great stationary shooter, a very good position rebounder and a real asset to the team. She has been missed while injured. But a guard she is not.

Warnock is in that spot and if someone called her a guard I wouldn’t say that’s wrong I guess.
McKenna is listed as a G/F on the roster. It seems to me that she plays more on the perimeter (facing the basket) than in the paint (back to the basket). So in that respect she is more of a guard (or wing) than a forward. Although Hannah has skills to play 1 through 5 in HS, I think that she will [eventally] be McKenna’s replacement at the “4”.

Would depend on how good she is, if she wants to do both and if the Iowa soccer team wants her.

I guess that's what I was asking. I thought she had looks for soccer already as well. I didn't know if you heard anything on that front, especially from Dianni and Iowa.

I'm guessing she wants to play basketball.

Listening to the coaches over the years they call their player positions guard, wing, post.

To many people you're a guard if you play on the perimeter and classify positions guard, forward, center/post.

ADVERTISEMENT