ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Women's Basketball Recruiting Offer/Commitment List

I disagree that McKenna doesn't have ball handling skills. At the end of her freshman year she was showing that she could drive to the basket and score and/or get fouled. I was looking forward to that part of her game as a sophomore , but it seemed to disappear, same this year. Whatever she is, I'll take half a dozen of those on my team.

“Stuelke will likely play more guard at Iowa than she does for the Warriors, but the versatility she’s shown over the years offers plenty of promise for that transition.”
Dargan Southard
I assumed that was typed wrong and the article meant forward, not guard, for Iowa vs playing center for high school team??

I don't think it's in this thread, but Monika has said she will be coming back next year. Hopefully that doesn't hurt anyone on the roster as I think Goodman and O'Grady could be good centers. As someone else mentioned, I really think it would be great if O'Grady could or would redshirt next year, work on her game and have a year between Goodman and O'Grady. I was really impressed with Goodman last year, hopefully she's able to work on some things and come back better than she was.
Goodman got injured in early Oct, has there been any updates on her?

“Stuelke will likely play more guard at Iowa than she does for the Warriors, but the versatility she’s shown over the years offers plenty of promise for that transition.”

I assumed that was typed wrong and the article meant forward, not guard, for Iowa vs playing center for high school team??

I don't think it's in this thread, but Monika has said she will be coming back next year. Hopefully that doesn't hurt anyone on the roster as I think Goodman and O'Grady could be good centers. As someone else mentioned, I really think it would be great if O'Grady could or would redshirt next year, work on her game and have a year between Goodman and O'Grady. I was really impressed with Goodman last year, hopefully she's able to work on some things and come back better than she was.
Goodman got injured in early Oct, has there been any updates on her?
In the transfer portal era hoping a player like O'Grady will redshirt is wishful thinking at best. She's shown already that she can contribute on a Top-25 team and that she has plenty of potential. I'd be stunned if she redshirted unless it was for a medical reason.

I don't necessarily think it's a foregone conclusion that one of O'Grady or Goodman transfers this offseason. Both can rightly think they have a chance to be the primary backup next year, then the starter for their junior and senior seasons.

That said, whoever loses the backup 5 competition might look to transfer unless the coaches get creative in getting both minutes. Both have the potential to be starters on good-great P5 teams. If either entered the portal, they would have plenty of suitors.

If everyone comes back plus the 2 new players that would be 7 players for the 4/5 spot. Now Hannah could play the 3 spot and Jada probably as well, but then the 3 spot gets crowded. So you could move a couple players to the 2 spot then that position gets crowded, and still only one true point guard. I think there are going to be players riding the bench, which usually means transfer. Which would happen in the 23-24 season.

Why offer Greenway now? She has already said Iowa is her dream school. You get the benefit of waiting/watching to see if she grows. I've been skewered for this here in the past but there are a 8-10 girls in the state of Iowa that are in the 8th grade/freshman class that I think are better players currently. It's easy to get caught up in the points scored but I've seen head to head match ups with other similar aged kids who I would put ahead of her. Just my opinion.
Just curious, who are the 8th graders in the state of Iowa you have above Greenway?

Depends on injuries as well, this season was pretty bad in terms of injuries. All positions were crowded coming in then got thinned down. Some of them could redshirt as well? The problem is that next years class may not have great redshirt candidates.
Mccabe could probably use a year to get stronger, but her 3 point capability is likely to be needed.
Hannah seems like a probable backup to Warnock, unless Lisa decides to try OGrady at the 4, which she seemed unwilling to do even when rebounding and defense at the for were huge issues against taller teams. ASlso depends on Wetering, who we haven't really had a chance to see in a game.
Gamfly might be an option as she will be competing with Affolter and Fuerback for backing up Marin at the 3?

Just curious, who are the 8th graders in the state of Iowa you have above Greenway?
I know more about the freshman class as that is the age of my daughter, but Jenica Lewis is an 8th grader and the top rated kid in her class from Johnston. Freshman I like a lot are Ava Zediker, Divine Bourrage, Regan Pagniano, Journey Houston, Mya Crawford, Savannah Gage.

I know more about the freshman class as that is the age of my daughter, but Jenica Lewis is an 8th grader and the top rated kid in her class from Johnston. Freshman I like a lot are Ava Zediker, Divine Bourrage, Regan Pagniano, Journey Houston, Mya Crawford, Savannah Gage.
Ok so for her actual recruiting class the only name you can come up with is the top rated girl in her class? Got it.

Reactions: BraydonRoberts5
Depends on injuries as well, this season was pretty bad in terms of injuries. All positions were crowded coming in then got thinned down. Some of them could redshirt as well? The problem is that next years class may not have great redshirt candidates.
Mccabe could probably use a year to get stronger, but her 3 point capability is likely to be needed.
Hannah seems like a probable backup to Warnock, unless Lisa decides to try OGrady at the 4, which she seemed unwilling to do even when rebounding and defense at the for were huge issues against taller teams. ASlso depends on Wetering, who we haven't really had a chance to see in a game.
Gamfly might be an option as she will be competing with Affolter and Fuerback for backing up Marin at the 3?
I think Jada Gyamfi is more of a power forward type while Hannah Stuelke leans toward small forward in comparison?

I'm more and more convinced that Iowa needs a player like Audi Crooks - a solid rebounder and lane enforcer who can also score. A player who won't get pushed around and can defend the bigger Centers. Any word on how Crooks recruiting is going?

Ok so for her actual recruiting class the only name you can come up with is the top rated girl in her class? Got it.
I told you I’m more familiar with the freshman class. I’ve seen Greenway 25+ times. Don’t love her game or her size. I’m sure she is a great kid. Not sure why that offends you.

Reactions: BDinIC and BGHAWK
I told you I’m more familiar with the freshman class. I’ve seen Greenway 25+ times. Don’t love her game or her size. I’m sure she is a great kid. Not sure why that offends you.
She's a great facilitator and excellent three-point shooter. She could still grow a few inches. She really wants to go to Iowa. We'll see if she earns a schollie or not. Curious if she would consider walking on if she doesn't.

Reactions: HIWILLE
I'm more and more convinced that Iowa needs a player like Audi Crooks - a solid rebounder and lane enforcer who can also score. A player who won't get pushed around and can defend the bigger Centers. Any word on how Crooks recruiting is going?
I have a VERY hard time envisioning Crooks playing Bluders pace without some serious physical changes and just don’t get the love for her but people who get paid a lot of money to judge that sort of thing want her, so I’ll try and shut up.

I have a VERY hard time envisioning Crooks playing Bluders pace without some serious physical changes and just don’t get the love for her but people who get paid a lot of money to judge that sort of thing want her, so I’ll try and shut up.
From what I've seen reported, she is pretty athletic and moves very well for her size. Consensus Top100 recruits obviously have talent. She will never be the first player down the court but her conditioning doesn't seem to be an issue. What she adds is a low post physical presence which Iowa sorely needs IMO. Teams like Maryland (BTW, also offered Crooks) absolutely eat Iowa's lunch and typically run up the score on the Hawks with ORBs and second chance points. These large opponent matchups are an obvious - almost comical - mismatch. It's painful to watch. She can rebound, defend and score if needed and I bet she shoots a ton of FTs in college.

From what I've seen reported, she is pretty athletic and moves very well for her size. Consensus Top100 recruits obviously have talent. She will never be the first player down the court but her conditioning doesn't seem to be an issue. What she adds is a low post physical presence which Iowa sorely needs IMO. Teams like Maryland (BTW, also offered Crooks) absolutely eat Iowa's lunch and typically run up the score on the Hawks with ORBs and second chance points. These large opponent matchups are an obvious - almost comical - mismatch. It's painful to watch. She can rebound, defend and score if needed and I bet she shoots a ton of FTs in college.
Understood and she certainly is talented, but IMO she's not the answer to the problem we always seem to face--and that you point out--the athletic and physical low posts. The "Maryland-type" girls will likely continue to own her, as she makes most of her hay from her size. I haven't seen her for a year, and will admit that there are folks who have seen way more than I have of her, and like I said, people who get paid a lot of money to judge such a thing want her, so I may very well be proven wrong. I just see her as a large physical presence, with decently soft hands, decent foot movement, but the speed and athleticism of the college game--especially the ones that always give the Hawks problems--will give her problems as well. If Lisa wants her, I hope she gets her, and I hope she lights up the scoreboard....I just don't think she will.

Reactions: AMAYS
This! I don't see it either, maybe the coaches think that they can get her weight down to where she can run the court. I would rather be wrong and see her come to Iowa than to another school and become a star. At least Iowa seems to be okay at center for the next few years either way, and they do have scholarship.

Understood and she certainly is talented, but IMO she's not the answer to the problem we always seem to face--and that you point out--the athletic and physical low posts. The "Maryland-type" girls will likely continue to own her, as she makes most of her hay from her size. I haven't seen her for a year, and will admit that there are folks who have seen way more than I have of her, and like I said, people who get paid a lot of money to judge such a thing want her, so I may very well be proven wrong. I just see her as a large physical presence, with decently soft hands, decent foot movement, but the speed and athleticism of the college game--especially the ones that always give the Hawks problems--will give her problems as well. If Lisa wants her, I hope she gets her, and I hope she lights up the scoreboard....I just don't think she will.
Fair enough. She is an interesting prospect and we'll find out soon enough, I guess.

I dunno... Katie Benzan prolific 3 point shooter and Carmon-Hillary are 5'6 and damn good players
I don't disagree and Greenway could very well end up at Iowa. Someone asked and I gave an OPINION. A ton can change in a couple years. She could very well end up 5'10" and a top 20 kid in her class. My opinion is based on what I've seen in club basketball games. That isn't the same a school game and I completely recognize that. I'll be glad to be wrong. Anyone that Bluder/Jensen deem worthy of an offer that can help the team is good by me.

Fair enough. She is an interesting prospect and we'll find out soon enough, I guess.
I hate to even jump in on the Crooks conversation or I'll get skewered again....but what the hell. Her hands and feet are so damn good for a girl with her height/frame. The ONLY thing that will hold her back from being a damn good college player is the weight. I know we aren't supposed to talk about girls and weight but she has everything else you could want in a post player. Catches everything thrown her way, soft touch around the basket, really good shooting mechanics, and I think is a really good kid/teammate. She is a unique player for sure and I think she has kept the recruiting stuff fairly quiet on her end. Her playing 1A high school basketball would have been like Shaq playing at Coe back in the day.

I hate to even jump in on the Crooks conversation or I'll get skewered again....but what the hell. Her hands and feet are so damn good for a girl with her height/frame. The ONLY thing that will hold her back from being a damn good college player is the weight. I know we aren't supposed to talk about girls and weight but she has everything else you could want in a post player. Catches everything thrown her way, soft touch around the basket, really good shooting mechanics, and I think is a really good kid/teammate. She is a unique player for sure and I think she has kept the recruiting stuff fairly quiet on her end. Her playing 1A high school basketball would have been like Shaq playing at Coe back in the day.
That's a good summary. I will say this, from what I have seen she uses her bulk to her advantage and she seems to have surprisingly good stamina. She may be one of those people who can carry extra weight without a problem. I hope she is a Hawkeye.

That's a good summary. I will say this, from what I have seen she uses her bulk to her advantage and she seems to have surprisingly good stamina. She may be one of those people who can carry extra weight without a problem. I hope she is a Hawkeye.
I don't think the concern with Crooks is stamina so much as speed. If she could only play 20 minutes per game, but could do everything else well, the coaches can work with that.

Iowa's current system requires players that can run the floor well. In one of the biggest sequences of the game last night, O'Grady got a block, ran the floor well, and got a layup to put Iowa up 4 in the 4th. It was a huge swing in momentum. If O'Grady wasn't able to run the floor quickly, we might not have scored that possession.

If Crooks can't run the floor fast enough to be a fast break option (which I'm offering no opinion on. I haven't seen her recently) that could hurt the offense overall, even if she might be slightly better in the half court than other post options.

Iowa's current system requires players that can run the floor well.........If Crooks can't run the floor fast enough to be a fast break option (which I'm offering no opinion on. I haven't seen her recently) that could hurt the offense overall, even if she might be slightly better in the half court than other post options.
She is not going to get much faster, if at all, and Bluder and staff have offered. IMO that means the staff have evaluated her and believe she will fit in Iowa's system.

Also, what "hurts Iowa's offense overall" (more so than Crook's speed ever could) is watching bigger opponent post players pull down 15-20 offensive rebounds every game then convert most of those ORBs into easy baskets.

With her skills and size, Crooks will present a matchup problem for many different teams. The same goes the other way -- there will be games where her lack of speed might be a limitation on defense, transition offense, etc. But, considering all the pros and cons, it's undeniable IMO that she has a high developmental ceiling and will be a great asset for whichever program she ends up committing to. If we are lucky enough for her to choose us, I trust that our coaching staff will maximize her potential and will know how/when to use her to put the team on the court that will give us the best chance of winning any given game.

Last edited:
Reactions: HIWILLE and nu2u
I don't think the concern with Crooks is stamina so much as speed. If she could only play 20 minutes per game, but could do everything else well, the coaches can work with that.

Iowa's current system requires players that can run the floor well. In one of the biggest sequences of the game last night, O'Grady got a block, ran the floor well, and got a layup to put Iowa up 4 in the 4th. It was a huge swing in momentum. If O'Grady wasn't able to run the floor quickly, we might not have scored that possession.

If Crooks can't run the floor fast enough to be a fast break option (which I'm offering no opinion on. I haven't seen her recently) that could hurt the offense overall, even if she might be slightly better in the half court than other post options.
I get what you are saying, but on the other hand, Crooks highlights show her throwing multiple full court passes to other players for layups. So if she gets the rebound you may have clark open down the court rather than having to be the one making the long pass.

I get what you are saying, but on the other hand, Crooks highlights show her throwing multiple full court passes to other players for layups. So if she gets the rebound you may have clark open down the court rather than having to be the one making the long pass.
Against really low talent.

She's a solid prospect but if she played 5a she might not have an Iowa offer.

Reactions: LarryMullenJr.
Against really low talent.

She's a solid prospect but if she played 5a she might not have an Iowa offer.
To me where she has missed an opportunity has been during the summer. I have been told, by reliable sources, that she had been offered a chance to play with All Iowa Attack. The key there would have been a chance to compete in the same gym with the likes of Hannah Stuelke, Jada Gyamfi and others. Not to mention compete against high level opposition around the country. I hear she declined the invite out of loyalty to her current club coach, which I can appreciate. But, I just think even being in the same gym with a lot of high end talent would have have accelerated her growth as a player. She certainly has high end interest without playing for Attack, but it’s about pushing yourself and competing against the best to get better.

To me where she has missed an opportunity has been during the summer. I have been told, by reliable sources, that she had been offered a chance to play with All Iowa Attack. The key there would have been a chance to compete in the same gym with the likes of Hannah Stuelke, Jada Gyamfi and others. Not to mention compete against high level opposition around the country. I hear she declined the invite out of loyalty to her current club coach, which I can appreciate. But, I just think even being in the same gym with a lot of high end talent would have have accelerated her growth as a player. She certainly has high end interest without playing for Attack, but it’s about pushing yourself and competing against the best to get better.
Lots of truth here.

I've posted this before, she reminds me of current WNBA player Brionna Jones (Connecticut Sun) who played at Maryland but arrived very overweight. She changed her diet & worked out extra outside the team to drop 40 pounds. She became an All-BIG Center & also plays in Europe in addition to the WNBA. If Audi sets her mind to improving physically & puts in the work it can happen as she is a talented ball player. I don't know where she stands with Iowa, but she was in Iowa City at least 3 times last year. I believe her AAU team has connections with the ISU staff so they are probably high on her list.

https://www.testudotimes.com/maryla...ones-stats-aberdeen-fairfax-wnba-pediatrician

Reactions: undersized_post
Loyalty to her current club coach at Cy Select is one thing. Surviving the 4+ hour practices at Attack is a completely different animal. Attack attracts a TON of high level talent but they work their absolute asses off to compete at that level. They find out really quickly how dedicated you are to becoming a better player and athlete by putting you through the ringer. It certainly isn't for everyone. But I completely agree, she would have benefitted massively by playing with and against Stuelke and Gyamfi in a competitive practice situation.

Reactions: crstuff
ADVERTISEMENT