ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Women's Basketball Star Ranking

GunnerHawk

HR All-American
Mar 16, 2014
Decided to look at this tear's team and what the future might hold for the Hawk women.

Our current team as a lot of star power in addition to Caitlin. I'll break it down.

Starters:
Clark - 5 star - ranked 4 - 5 in the class
Martin - 3 star - no top 100 rank
Marshall - 3 star - no top 100 rank
Stuelke - 4 star - ranked #45 in 2022 class (may have been higher if she hadn't committed so early)
Affolter - 4 star - ranked # 48 in 2021 class

Certainly talent there but also shows Iowa's coaches ability to develop players.

Next five in:
Feurbach - 4 star - # 71
O'Grady - 4 star - # 92 in 2021 class
McCabe - 4star - #89 in 2021 class
Ediger - 4 star - #47 in 2021 class
Gyamfi - 4 star - #76 in 2022 class

The 2021 and 2022 classes had a top 20 rank
Unfortunately the 2023 class was small and with Jone's injuries and now Johnson Etienne's knee they haven't contributed on the court. You certainly can't measure the motivation the players get from watching Ava's work ethic though.

The incoming 2024 class is ranked # 9 nationally. Unfortunately - USC, UCLA, Oregon and Michigan are ranked higher. I like this class alot.

Heiden - 4 star - #40 ranked center at 6' 5"
Guyton - 4 star - #58 ranked PG
Mallegni - 4 star - #64 ranked PF at 6' 1"
Stremlow - 4 star - #91 ranked PG
Levin - not ranked but Iowa player of the year. Reminds me alot of Affolter

Add in our current 2025 commits:

Deal - 5 star - 6' guard - #12
Houston - 4 star 5' 11" wing - #36

Targets:
Skinner - 5 star PG - #10 rank
McGaughy - 5 star PF - #15 rank
Speiser - 5 star SG - #20 rank
Jernigan - 4 star SG/WF - #45 rank
Hays - 3 star center - unranked

If 2025 can fill out with Hays and one more 5 star, the stars will align for many more years of the Hawks flying high.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
No doubt next year will be much tougher. Caitlin's points and assists will be hard to replace, the on-court coach (which is Kate Martin) and Gabby's tenacious defense. Next year we will be rebuilding a bit but the future will be bright.

Decided to look at this tear's team and what the future might hold for the Hawk women.

Our current team as a lot of star power in addition to Caitlin. I'll break it down.

Starters:
Stuelke - 4 star - ranked #45 in 2022 class (may have been higher if she hadn't committed so early)

Certainly talent there but also shows Iowa's coaches ability to develop players.

Next five in:
Feurbach - 4 star - # 71

Unfortunately the 2023 class was small and with Jone's injuries and now Johnson Etienne's knee they haven't contributed on the court. You certainly can't measure the motivation the players get from watching Ava's work ethic though.

The incoming 2024 class is ranked # 9 nationally. Unfortunately - USC, UCLA, Oregon and Michigan are ranked higher. I like this class alot.

Heiden - #40 ranked center at 6' 5"
Guyton - #58 ranked PG
Mallegni - #64 ranked PF at 6' 1"
Stremlow - #91 ranked PG

Targets:

If 2025 can fill out with Hays and one more 5 star, the stars will align for many more years of the Hawks flying high.

Go Hawks!
holy sh** that's a lot of 4* and 5* players.

Starters:

Next five in:
Feurbach - 4 star - # 71

Targets:

Go Hawks!
Thank you. Nicely done.

This team has some talent coming back and coming in, but it's going to be shock to the system playing (and watching) without CC, Kate & Gabby.
Yep. Need for a damn good point guard in the portal.🤞

This kind of recruiting would shut up a lot of Fran’s detractors(I’ve turned into one this season). He’d also have to do something with that talent, but his biggest problem has been amassing enough highly sought talent on one team. He had a stretch of getting a 4-star player per class(some like Moss and CMac were 4-stars by one recruiting service), but never able to pull on multiples in the same class.

No doubt next year will be much tougher. Caitlin's points and assists will be hard to replace, the on-court coach (which is Kate Martin) and Gabby's tenacious defense. Next year we will be rebuilding a bit but the future will be bright.
If you have season tickets this year - keep them. It will be rough next year, but With Deal and Houston coming the next year it will be tough getting tickets again

Good post! I’d like to point out that ESPN isn’t necessarily the authority of rankings. Prospects nation is in some ways more accurate. They have Affolter around #60 whereas ESPN didn’t have her at all. ESPN also was much higher on Edigar than PN, and the latter seems to be more accurate three years later. ASGR is an other service and they rank kids to like 200 so you can see those who aren’t close to the Top 100 (for example KJE — who is #103 I think).

Interestingly P/N has Hays as #21 in the class. A prevalent theory is that since she’s from AK, she hasn’t been able to get the attention she would otherwise and so ESPN hasn’t caught up. ESPN will expand its top 60 to 100 by June and I’d be shocked if Hays isn’t closer to #20 than #100.

I agree with your takeaway tho, if Bluder can land 2 more 5 stars (in 2025 or 2026) this program will absolutely continue to compete for Final Fours.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hawksbyamillion
I had no idea how much more talent Iowa WBB has than FB or MBB.

Certainly Caitlin is helping Iowa amass quality talent in the years to come, but without her, this team is probably a 6 seed and already done for the season.

Starters:

Next five in:
Feurbach - 4 star - # 71

Targets:

Go Hawks!
If they don't change their minds. Nothing is certain in college athletics these days.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT