ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa wrestle-offs schedule of matches

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004
https://iowawrestlingblog.com/2018/10/iowa-wrestle-offs-schedule-of-matches/

Iowa Wrestling will have their wrestle-offs in the Iowa Wrestling room on Thursday and Friday, November 1- 2.
The action will begin at 3:30 PM both days.
All fans are welcomed to attend and admission is free.
There will be two mats in the Iowa Wrestling room for wrestle-offs.

*****Schedule is subject to change.

Thursday, November 1

Match 1 - 141 lbs. Justin Stickley vs. Cam Shaver

Match 2 - 157 lbs. Danny Murphy vs Keegan Shaw

Match 3 - 157 lbs. Jeremiah Moody vs Joe Kelly

Match 4 - 157 lbs. Kaleb Young vs Preston Stephenson

Match 5 - 125 lbs. Perez Perez vs Aaron Cashman

Match 6 - 133 lbs. Paul Glynn vs Austin DeSanto

Match 7 - 141 lbs. Carter Happel vs Max Murin

Match 8 - 149 lbs. Patricio Lugo vs Zach Axmear

Match 9 - 165 lbs. Nelson Brands vs Tristan McDonald

Match 10 - 184 lbs. Myles Wilson vs To be determined

Match 11 - 184 lbs. Mitch Bowman vs Cash Wilcke

Match 12 - 197 lbs. Connor Corbin vs Cade Brownlee

Match 13 - Hwt Anthony Cassioppi vs Aaron Costello

Match 14 - 141 lbs. Vince Turk vs Winner of Stickley/Shaver

Match 15 - 157 lbs. Jeren Glosser vs Winner of Murphy/Shaw

Match 16 - 157 lbs. Winner of Moody/Kelly vs Winner of Young/Stephenson

Friday, November 2

Match 1 - 125 lbs. Spencer Lee vs Winner of Perez/Cashman

Match 2 - 133 lbs. Paul Glynn vs Austin DeSanto

Match 3 - 141 lbs. Winner of Happel/Murin vs Winner of Turk vs Stickley/Shaver

Match 4 - 149 lbs. Patricio Lugo vs Zach Axmear

Match 5 - 157 lbs. Winner of Match 15 vs Winner of Match 16

Match 6 - 165 lbs. Winner of Brands/McDonald vs Alex Marinelli

Match 7 - 184 lbs. Myles Wilson vs To be determined

Match 8 - 184 lbs. Mitch Bowman vs Cash Wilcke

Match 9 - 197 lbs. Winner of Corbin/Brownlee vs Jacob Warner

Match 10 - To be determined

I am now up on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/IowaWrestlingFan/
and on Twitter at https://twitter.com/iawrestlingfan

Last edited:
That schedule shows some guys wrestling each other twice...first on Thurs and then again on Friday.... is that really true? e.g Glynn/DeSanto, Wilcke/Bowman, Lugo/Axmear.

Renteria-redshirt.. Is he also dinged up? Or just a rumor?

Redshirt.

That schedule shows some guys wrestling each other twice...first on Thurs and then again on Friday.... is that really true? e.g Glynn/DeSanto, Wilcke/Bowman, Lugo/Axmear.

Though I'm not saying I can make complete sense of it, given that at at least one of the weights there are other combatants, but it could be 2 parts of a potential best of 3 with the third match, if necessary, not being public.

Reactions: HIWILLE
My observations. Interesting to see Brands wrestle off at 165 and not 157. No Jrent as mentioned above. Finally it appears that Glosser is the “1 seed” in the “bracket”. I’m sure many people here thought that the winner of Glosser/Moody would wrestle Young.

My observations. Interesting to see Brands wrestle off at 165 and not 157. No Jrent as mentioned above. Finally it appears that Glosser is the “1 seed” in the “bracket”. I’m sure many people here thought that the winner of Glosser/Moody would wrestle Young.
A lot of first year guys wrestle up a weight. There are a few guys not wrestling due to an injury.

A lot of first year guys wrestle up a weight. There are a few guys not wrestling due to an injury.
I understand that for Brands but since he’s redshirting either way I thought maybe he’d wrestle off at 157 to see exactly where he is for next year and then wrestle opens at 165. I don’t see any way he beats Marinelli and maybe there’s a small chance he would win the 157 bracket and be the best guy.

Who would be available to wrestle Wilson at 184? Could Holloway or Cook cut that much?

I can't imagine either of them making that cut, but definitely not Holloway. He wrestled Hwt like 2 years ago and he looked to be a pretty big 197lber. Then again, I'm pretty amazed to see Moody competing at 157. He looked to be a pretty full sized 165lber.

Reactions: funnyfletcher
125- Lee- Not much to say. World Champion talent!

133- Glynn could frustrate DeSanto certainly, but Austin has a relentless motor that should take over. Austin is a bull in a china shop. Terry and Tom are the best suited to teach and control him. Renteria to redshirt.

141- 3 quality guys at this weight. Winner of Happel vs Murin will have a likely tough battle with Turk. Many are penciling in Murin. I'm not folding on Turk yet. Should be some good scraps!

149- Lugo- waiting for his turn! Short and strong.

157- Glosser, Moody and Young.. Moody loves the freestyle, Glosser the solid grinder and Young the never give up, high motor winner imo. Weight management seems key with him.

165-Marinelli will big brother bull-rush a quickly developing Brands who is wrestling up a weight.

174- Kemerer- certainly filled out, relentless attacks, leader.

184- Bowman vs Wilke. Bowman showed fight & funk last year but I think Wilke is too much of a brute to lose this. Love to see some more offense from Cash this year. He should be more comfortable down at 184.

197- Warner- lots of talent! Keep that head focused.. Channel that emotion. Time is now!

285- Stoll. Not sure if Brands will have Cassioppi and Stoll faceoff just yet. Stoll's knee seems fine from what I've heard but no reason to test it early against a would be quality Heavyweight right off the bat.

Looking forward to this year! Hawkeyes are on the move!

Last edited:
There should be closer parking than that. I’m guessing there won’t be as many people attending than make it the regular season duals. There is a lot across the street and another across the RR tracks to the SW.

During business hours so they might get a ticket if they use the Dental or commuter lots.

Reactions: el dub
I'll be there Thursday but not Friday. Looking forward to tomorrow. Lots of intriguing matchups for sure. I am pulling for Bowman. Honestly I would not put money on either one being a AA I just like Bowman's offense better. 184 is my biggest concern by far this year. 157 is the only other weight that I have questions about as far as AAs are concerned. 133 and 165 are crazy deep weight classes but I believe they still AA. 141 while Murin, Turk & Happel will have close matches with each other Murin is the one we need in the lineup. He has the highest ceiling. Cant wait for tomorrow!!

Reactions: SDHN2013 and el dub
I'll be there Thursday but not Friday. Looking forward to tomorrow. Lots of intriguing matchups for sure. I am pulling for Bowman. Honestly I would not put money on either one being a AA I just like Bowman's offense better. 184 is my biggest concern by far this year. 157 is the only other weight that I have questions about as far as AAs are concerned. 133 and 165 are crazy deep weight classes but I believe they still AA. 141 while Murin, Turk & Happel will have close matches with each other Murin is the one we need in the lineup. He has the highest ceiling. Cant wait for tomorrow!!
Bowman definitely showed grit last year but I really think that cash wasn undersized at 197 last year. Will be interesting to see if he’s more offensive at 184

Ranking the matches today I'm most intrigued for:
1. Match 11 – 184 lbs. Mitch Bowman vs Cash Wilcke
2. Match 16 – 157 lbs. Winner of Moody/Kelly vs Winner of Young/Stephenson
3. Match 7 – 141 lbs. Carter Happel vs Max Murin
4. Match 13 – Hwt Anthony Cassioppi vs Aaron Costello
5. Match 6 – 133 lbs. Paul Glynn vs Austin DeSanto (because he is finally a Hawk)
6. Match 14 – 141 lbs. Vince Turk vs Winner of Stickley/Shaver
7. Match 8 – 149 lbs. Patricio Lugo vs Zach Axmear (first time as the starter)
8. Match 9 – 165 lbs. Nelson Brands vs Tristan McDonald (lets see what hes got)

Anyone have any insight as to why $ and Bowman go today and Myles Wilson gets the winner tomorrow? Has Myles improved to the point where we should start to consider him as a real contender for the 184lb starting spot? If Myles does get the spot there would likely be 0 starters wrestling for the Hawkeyes that are from the state of Iowa. Has that happened before?

Anyone have any insight as to why $ and Bowman go today and Myles Wilson gets the winner tomorrow? Has Myles improved to the point where we should start to consider him as a real contender for the 184lb starting spot? If Myles does get the spot there would likely be 0 starters wrestling for the Hawkeyes that are from the state of Iowa. Has that happened before?

You misread- its Cash v Bowman both days, and Wilson vs TBD both days.

You could say the same about Glosser at 157

ADVERTISEMENT