ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa wrestling champ charged with felony assault

NorthernHawkeye

HR Legend
Dec 23, 2007
Lisbon and Nodaway Valley in recent years. Now these charges.

Looks like the IHSAA needs to mandate some education to all teams, including press clippings and charges and sentencing.

Reactions: lucas80
with-a-pencil-john-wick.gif

• Wow
Reactions: EasyHawk
I've had a handful of wrestlers talk about doing this kind of hazing, and they talked about it like it was completely normal. One instance the story was told in a best man speech.

When I was a sophomore I watched a senior 130lber get lifted against the wall, catch 1 punch in the eye and lose all the color in his face with a forearm across the throat by my 140lb classmate for "checking the oil". Not one person, including coaches made a move to stop it.

That kind of bullsh!t didn't fly in our room.

Seems like something a young Northern would do to prove he isn’t a queer.

This is a more detailed article.

According to a sheriff’s office press release, Blume is accused of stripping off the victim’s clothes and using a pencil to assault him. The crime took place at the victim’s Roland home, according to Lennie.

Blume has been charged with Assault – Penetration of Genitalia or Anus with Object, a class “C” felony.

This is a more detailed article.

According to a sheriff’s office press release, Blume is accused of stripping off the victim’s clothes and using a pencil to assault him. The crime took place at the victim’s Roland home, according to Lennie.

Blume has been charged with Assault – Penetration of Genitalia or Anus with Object, a class “C” felony.

IMO, he should have the book thrown at him, and I'm glad this story is getting attention.

I agree. Something seems to be off in the wrestling community. These incidents keep happening.

Anyone that has spent enough time around wrestling knows there is something different about it, but in my experience this type of thing isn't really a reflection of the community as a whole. More likely the children of a very specific subset from the 80's era have reached high school.

I do know for a fact that there are problem cultures in some programs and that sh!t shouldn't fly.

Reactions: tumorboy
I agree. Something seems to be off in the wrestling community. These incidents keep happening.
Wrestling is all about physical dominating an opponent. In very primal way. It can really mess with males with hormones going nuts. And don't have full cognitive function yet. Honestly it's all about mentorship at this stage. If they have a coach or dad/parental figure that is off this is the result.

ADVERTISEMENT