ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Wrestling recruits at Greco-Roman Junior Nationals - RESULTS

Todd Conner

HR MVP
Dec 23, 2004
http://iowawrestlingblog.com/2017/0...ts-competing-in-greco-roman-junior-nationals/

Warner and Cassioppi GR National champions, Wilson 4th, Costello DNP.
Cassioppi is OW.

Rd 64: Myles Wilson New Castle, CO VSU Hunter Tessman, MO, 10-0 1:07
Rd 32: Myles Wilson, CO VSU1 Connor Williams, WI, 16-5 3:51
Rd 16: Myles Wilson, CO VPO1 Austin Harris, OR , 12-8
Quarters: Myles Wilson, CO VPO1 Tommy Brackett TN, 8-5
Semifinals: Cameron Caffey, IL VSU1 Myles Wilson, CO, 16-2 2:40
Consi-Semis: Myles Wilson, CO VFA Christian Knop, AL, 6-4 2:33
3rd place: Tommy Brackett TN VPO1 Myles Wilson, CO, 9-1

Rd 64: Jacob Warner Washington, IL VSU Brock Danielski, WI, 11-0 0:59
Rd 32: Jacob Warner, IL VSU Elijah Rodriguez, NY, 10-0 0:36
Rd 16: Jacob Warner Washington, IL VSU Elijah Rodriguez, NY, 10-0 0:36
Quarters: Jacob Warner, IL VSU Jackson Mckinney, WA, 10-0 1:32
Semifinals: Jacob Warner, IL VSU Brandon Whitman, MI, 10-0 3:25
Finals: Jacob Warner, IL VSU Dalton Hahn, WI, 12-0 2:16

Hwt
Rd 64: Anthony Cassioppi Roscoe, IL VSU Ambrose Adams, OH, 10-0 0:27
Rd 32: Anthony Cassioppi Roscoe, IL VFA Troy Monahan, IA, 5-0 0:28
Rd 16: Anthony Cassioppi, IL VFA Troy Monahan, IA, 5-0 0:28
Quarters: Anthony Cassioppi Roscoe, IL VSU Austin Emerson, MI, 10-0 0:49
Semifinals: Anthony Cassioppi Roscoe, IL VSU Montana Phillips, OK 2-2 0:42
Finals: Anthony Cassioppi, IL VPO1 Brandon Metz ND, 5-3

Hwt
Rd 64: Weston Hunt, CO VFA Aaron Costello Dubuque, IA, 9-7 5:41
Cons Rd 32-1: Aaron Costello, IA VSU Sean Dall Greenlawn, NY, 10-0 0:51
Cons Rd 32-2: Aaron Costello, IA VSU1 Alexander Aarsvold, MN, 14-2 0:55
Cons 16-1: Aaron Costello, IA VSU Jake Levengood, CA, 10-0 1:00
Cons 16-2: Aaron Costello, IA VPO1 Lee Herrington, NE, 4-1
Cons 8:1 Aaron Costello, IA VSU1 Arath Rangel, NV, 11-1 0:58
Cons 8:2 Zach Muller Woodridge, IL VFA Aaron Costello, IA, 5-4 1:05

I am now up on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/IowaWrestlingFan/
and on Twiiter at https://twitter.com/iawrestlingfan

It is great to be an Iowa Wrestling Fan.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Another good day for the future Hawks. Warner and Cassioppi are in the finals.

Cassioppi has a rematch with Metz that he defeated in the Freestyle finals,4-1. Metz is the defending GR national champion.

Wilson is wrestling for third and Costello was eliminated.

***The time of the finals and medal matches on Saturday has been changed to 10 AM CST.

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Shout out to my boy, Brady Koontz, who's in the finals at 120. Tough bracket, including studs like Aiden Reeves, who didn't place. Tough but very winnable match tomorrow for Brady.

Reactions: bman546 and el dub
"Semifinals: Anthony Cassioppi Roscoe, IL VSU Montana Phillips, OK 2-2 0:42"

Can anyone translate that? VSU means technical superiority, 2-2 was the score, and 0:42 is when the match was stopped. I'm assuming the score is wrong. Does anyone know the actual score.

They also have him winning a match 14-0. Can anyone explain that score?

"Semifinals: Anthony Cassioppi Roscoe, IL VSU Montana Phillips, OK 2-2 0:42"

Can anyone translate that? VSU means technical superiority, 2-2 was the score, and 0:42 is when the match was stopped. I'm assuming the score is wrong. Does anyone know the actual score.

They also have him winning a match 14-0. Can anyone explain that score?
I suspect they're missing a "1" before the 2 -- he probably won 12-2.

As for the 14-0 score, he probably led 9-0 and had a 5-point throw to end the match.

Reactions: nearfall2
I suspect they're missing a "1" before the 2 -- he probably won 12-2.

As for the 14-0 score, he probably led 9-0 and had a 5-point throw to end the match.
I'm guessing you're right on the first point. A match ends at 8-0 in Greco. So you would have to be at 7-0 and score 7. Some one who has flow pro could probably watch that match and let us know.

I'm guessing you're right on the first point. A match ends at 8-0 in Greco. So you would have to be at 7-0 and score 7. Some one who has flow pro could probably watch that match and let us know.
My bad -- brainfart on the Greco TF point spread. Yeah -- must just be a typo on the 14-0 score.

I believe in Greco a TF is 10, unless two 4 pointers are thrown then it's 8. He was up 9-0 and finished with a 5 pointer.
Also, an extra point can be added at the very end of a match if opposing coaches throws (not girly karl kicking) the brick and loses. So, if they would have thrown the brick arguing the five point move, another point would have been added and he would have won 15-0. I think that is the rules.

Warner is an absolute animal. Whitman is very good and he made him look like a novice. Warner is going to be your 1st upper weight champ under Brands!
I dunno about Warner being the first upper weight champ under Brands...a healthy Stoll might have something to say about that! Looking forward to some Stoll and Gable matches in the future.

I dunno about Warner being the first upper weight champ under Brands...a healthy Stoll might have something to say about that! Looking forward to some Stoll and Gable matches in the future.

Is Stoll going to get a medical? Otherwise, I don't think you are going to see him wrestle Steveson. Stoll only has 2 years left and I would expect Steveson to redshirt so he can adjust to DI heavy. If that happens they wouldn't even see each other.

Plus, winning a championship will be really hard with Snyder still having this year left. I like Stoll a ton, but I will be happy if he just makes it to the Tournament healthy and reaches the podium.

Now, beating Nevills would definitely be a nice cherry on top!

Big Cass tossed Metz for a greco correct throw in the last 10 seconds to win! Boom! Tony is your only junior triple crown winner this year also. Congrats young man!
He better get out of Fargo quick.. I've watched videos on what the locals there are capable of;)

Cassioppi was down 2-3 with 0:06 left when Flo decided that I would much rather see a screen that says "Flo" than watch the end of the match.

I about fell over when I finally got the match score on FloArena.

What happened?

I went to FloWrestliing on Twitter and saw the last move for the Cassioppi win. At the buzzer!

Can somebody post that clip on here?

Cassioppi is GR OW.

The rare Triple Crown for Cassioppi (Folystle, Freestyle, and Greco-Roman national titles).

Warner did not go a full match in Freestyle or Greco Roman (all pins and tech falls).

Go Hawks!

Last edited:
Cassioppi was digging deep for a score. I have only watched it live once but he tossed Metz to his side knocking him clearly off balance. The current Greco rules call that 2 points in favor of Cass. It was reviewed and upheld.

In Tony's post match interview he basically stated that it wasn't a conventional scoring move but it worked, and it won him the title. I'm so happy for him and Warner!

It was 14-0. Little Tony was up 9-0 and then threw the kid to his back for a 5-point move. Scoring is odd to me, but that's how they computed it.
Yeah -- my bad again. Was thinking a TF in Greco was 8 points there for a bit. Is it 8 in Cadets these days? Hard to keep it straight. In any case, that does sound right.

Congrats to Warnerov and Cass! Both looked great!

This is from NBC Olympic coverage 2016 (not the best source but I have been busy all day). Maybe Jr's. are different but they shouldn't be.

• Technical superiority: Amassing a 10-point lead in freestyle or an 8-point lead in Greco-Roman before time runs out.

Reactions: WWDMHawkeye
This is from NBC Olympic coverage 2016 (not the best source but I have been busy all day). Maybe Jr's. are different but they shouldn't be.

• Technical superiority: Amassing a 10-point lead in freestyle or an 8-point lead in Greco-Roman before time runs out.
Weird, because they definitely went to 10 in Warnerov's finals match.

Reactions: Spicolli
I don't know anything about Metz, but he looks like a very good wrestler. Big, strong, but also nimble. He represented himself well in the freestyle and GR finals against Cass. Those were good wins by Cass.
No doubt. Metz was huge, strong, and quick. I was impressed with how Cass stood toe to toe with him and didn't give an inch, despite giving up probably about 20-30 pounds.

Reactions: Gusaford
So in the last two classes we got a triple crown winner, a double fargo champ/world bronze, and a 3 time world champion.

We're a top lightweight destination, and we're ending duals with Warner and Cass. Fill up the middleweights with studs, and this will be F$$$.

Is Stoll going to get a medical? Otherwise, I don't think you are going to see him wrestle Steveson. Stoll only has 2 years left and I would expect Steveson to redshirt so he can adjust to DI heavy. If that happens they wouldn't even see each other.

Plus, winning a championship will be really hard with Snyder still having this year left. I like Stoll a ton, but I will be happy if he just makes it to the Tournament healthy and reaches the podium.

Now, beating Nevills would definitely be a nice cherry on top!
Don't think Steveson is going to redshirt. He's ready to go and make his mark. Heard Stoll is getting healthy and ready to tear it up.

Reactions: wasdt21
Don't think Steveson is going to redshirt. He's ready to go and make his mark. Heard Stoll is getting healthy and ready to tear it up.

I am not a fan of upper weights, especially 285s, not red shirting. The step up in maturation is huge. A year to adapt and hit the weights would be huge for him. There is no doubt he is great, but man strength can be a big equalizer for 5th year seniors wrestling a true freshman.

I am not a fan of upper weights, especially 285s, not red shirting. The step up in maturation is huge. A year to adapt and hit the weights would be huge for him. There is no doubt he is great, but man strength can be a big equalizer for 5th year seniors wrestling a true freshman.

Steveson is a Mocco+. He can most definitely compete as a true frosh.

Reactions: DirkTang1
Cassioppi was down 2-3 with 0:06 left when Flo decided that I would much rather see a screen that says "Flo" than watch the end of the match.

I about fell over when I finally got the match score on FloArena.

What happened?

I went to FloWrestliing on Twitter and saw the last move for the Cassioppi win. At the buzzer!

Can somebody post that clip on here?

Cassioppi is GR OW.

The rare Triple Crown for Cassioppi (Folystle, Freestyle, and Greco-Roman national titles).

Warner did not go a full match in Freestyle or Greco Roman (all pins and tech falls).

Go Hawks!

Steveson is a Mocco+. He can most definitely compete as a true frosh.

Although I agree that he may be as good as Mocco coming in, and could do very well,he still has a ton of room to mature physically. If he takes a year to adjust and work off some of that baby fat he honestly has a chance to be the 1st 4x heavy Champ.

What a way to end a badass week of wrestling for you guys! Cass with the dramatic finish with :06 left?!?! Nutty!

Steveson is obviously a clear cut #1...I want Nevills vs. Cass at WNO because I think that'd be the best matchup. I'm a PSU fan, but I'm rarely a homer, I think this would b a fun one!

Although I agree that he may be as good as Mocco coming in, and could do very well,he still has a ton of room to mature physically. If he takes a year to adjust and work off some of that baby fat he honestly has a chance to be the 1st 4x heavy Champ.
He does either way. I think you see him enter either a college open or senior freestyle event in the next year and we'll see. I think he beats all but Coon and Snyder right now.

ADVERTISEMENT