ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Wrestling

paednoch23

HR MVP
Oct 23, 2009
Our coaches are 1000 mile stare baffoons. I post this here because it got deleted from the QANON wrestling forum

We’ve dominated the wrestling world the last two years, got back the national championship over that span, and one year later the sky is falling because we finish in third place. It’s the one team I follow whose fanbase has so many fans who are spoiled by success.

We’ve dominated the wrestling world the last two years, got back the national championship over that span, and one year later the sky is falling because we finish in third place. It’s the one team I follow whose fanbase has so many fans who are spoiled by success.
It helps me realize what the 7 rational Nebraska football fans feel like.

I spent 2 years in a D1 room and realized I was there just to keep in shape and a room guy. The successful were just a bit off :)
Well u don't get to eat like a normal person. That and constant movement. Having some form of manic energy has to be a major advantage.

Reactions: Greenway4Prez
Tom and Terry are nuts but they’re our nuts. You look at what they did with ADS and you have to have a ton of respect for them. One year removed from a natty and a current 3rd place finish and people want them fired?
Great point. A lot of people questioned bringing him in, but he was a big part of our back-to-back B1G titles and national first place finishes. His interview today highlighted what the Brands bring to Iowa.

One year removed from a natty and a current 3rd place finish and people want them fired?
And the year before last they were the number one team and it wasn’t even close as they steamrolled through all the others second place on and the B1G.
Iowa didn’t finish great, but like I said they were without Spencer who was the #1 and defending champ. There were a number of other injured players this season as well, hell one had to bow out during the tournament.

And the year before last they were the number one team and it wasn’t even close as they steamrolled through all the others second place on and the B1G.
Iowa didn’t finish great, but like I said they were without Spencer who was the #1 and defending champ. There were a number of other injured players this season as well, hell one had to bow out during the tournament.
Exactly. Kemerer and Eierman were definitely hurt and Bull didn’t look right either. It’s so unfortunate but there’s not a damn thing we can do about it.

Love the brands brothers. The only issue I have is that it seems like we have way more injuries than most teams. Maybe it just seems that way.

Reactions: Menace Sockeyes
Love the brands brothers. The only issue I have is that it seems like we have way more injuries than most teams. Maybe it just seems that way.
It feels like it but not sure if it’s because we pay more attention to our own or partly because we have so many high profile guys it’s more obvious when they’re hurt. And I hate Penn St. Loathe them.

Wrestling practices are crazy and gross and long.

to motivate people to do it with vigor takes some crazy.

Exactly. Kemerer and Eierman were definitely hurt and Bull didn’t look right either. It’s so unfortunate but there’s not a damn thing we can do about it.
Sorry, 3boysmom but the Bull chokes at Nationals. Sucks but true.

Tom and Terry are nuts but they’re our nuts. You look at what they did with ADS and you have to have a ton of respect for them. One year removed from a natty and a current 3rd place finish and people want them fired?

I’ve never been a fan of the “He may be a scoundrel but he’s our scoundrel” mentality. I don’t like TnT, and never have. I think their antics are embarrassing, and could only be forgiven if they were wildly successful, which they are not.

There is a new breed of wrestler these days, and with the exception of Spencer Lee those guys are not drawn to old school maniacs like the Brands. So we are consistently out recruited. Most of the top level guys we do get don’t seem to achieve their expected results, or show progress.

They seem to disdain strategy, preferring a macho approach even if it plays into your opponent’s strengths. In all honesty, while there have been some successes - such as Austin DeSanto - there has been a lot more mediocrity. Princeton had more finalists this year than Iowa, and we were preseason favorites to win it all! And I can’t help but think their macho approach carries into the practice room, and is why we are always injured and look spent come Nationals.

I am not going to call for them to be fired, because that is pointless. But I don’t mind voicing my displeasure with them both as coaches and as representatives of our university.

Last edited:
You cannot be sane and make to the top in college and Olympic wrestling.

Spencer Lee is as sane and grounded as can be. Heck, most of this year’s champions (notable exception is Suriano) are pretty normal guys. I would say the maniacs are still pretty common, and still the stereotype, but the guys making it to the top are generally intelligent and thoughtful.

I’ve never been a fan of the “He may be a scoundrel but he’s our scoundrel” mentality. I don’t like TnT, and never have. I think their antics are embarrassing, and could only be forgiven if they were wildly successful, which they are not.

There is a new breed of wrestler these days, and with the exception of Spencer Lee those guys are not drawn to old school maniacs like the Brands. So we are consistently out recruited. Most of the top level guys we do get don’t seem to achieve their expected results, or show progress.

They seem to disdain strategy, preferring a macho approach even if it plays into your opponent’s strengths. In all honesty, while there have been some successes - such as Austin DeSanto - there has been a lot more mediocrity. Princeton had more finalists this year than Iowa, and we were preseason favorites to win it all! And I can’t help but think their macho approach carries into the practice room, and is why we are always injured and look spent come Nationals.

I am not going to call for them to be fired, because that is pointless. But I don’t mind voicing my displeasure with them both as coaches and as representatives of our university.
We were not clear cut preseason favorites by any stretch. And definitely not once Spencer announced he was officially done for the season. It was always clear we’d have the two year run we did, and that PSU was loading up with blue chip recruits to make it tougher after that (heck that was obvious by last year national finals. We’ve had real success in the transfer portal lately (DeSanto, Eierman, Lugo, etc.) and we’ll need to go back to that well this off-season at a couple weights.

We were not clear cut preseason favorites by any stretch.
Of course we were. We were defending National Champions with the entire lineup back, and Abe Assad joining in - an elite recruit who two years prior was seeded 8th in the cancelled tournament.

It's unfortunate the back story of the Brands brothers is kept in the shadows. Should at least warrant an honest conversation. If it's all rumor then let's put it to bed.

You touched briefly on something I've been thinking about. Showing progress. Doesn't seem like any Iowa wrestlers get better get better as a season or career progresses.

ADVERTISEMENT