ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa Wrestling

You touched briefly on something I've been thinking about. Showing progress. Doesn't seem like any Iowa wrestlers get better get better as a season or career progresses.
Under the Brands -

Mark Perry - 3rd, 3rd, 1st, and 1st

Jay Borschel - 3rd, DNP, and 1st

Daniel Dennis - 7th to 2nd

Tony Ramos - DNP, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st

Cory Clark - 5th, 2nd, 2nd, and 1st

ADS - DNP, 7th, 3rd, and 3rd

You cannot be sane and make to the top in college and Olympic wrestling.
Some wrestlers can be a bit "off" but look at men like Lincoln Mcllravy and Brooks Simpson. Those men are as solid a human being as you will ever find.

If you ever get a chance to hear Brooks speak you should jump at the opportunity.

It feels like it but not sure if it’s because we pay more attention to our own or partly because we have so many high profile guys it’s more obvious when they’re hurt. And I hate Penn St. Loathe them.
I've hated PSU wrestling for 20 years. Both times Iowa hosted the NCAAs - back in the 90s ish, their wrestlers caused problems in our bar. One of them smashed our bathroom mirror. The owner looked up the kid in the program and called their AD. "You can either send me a check or I can call the police."

Not to mention their cult fan base after Sandusky and Paterno. I won't root for them in anything unless it benefits Iowa on that day. I hate that school.

I've hated PSU wrestling for 20 years. Both times Iowa hosted the NCAAs - back in the 90s ish, their wrestlers caused problems in our bar. One of them smashed our bathroom mirror. The owner looked up the kid in the program and called their AD. "You can either send me a check or I can call the papers."

Not to mention their cult fan base after Sandusky and Paterno. I won't root for them in anything unless it benefits Iowa on that day. I hate that school.
My hate for PSU is mainly directed towards the amount wrestlers that stall. Seems as if they have way more than any other top program.

Reactions: Tom Paris
Under the Brands -

Mark Perry - 3rd, 3rd, 1st, and 1st

Jay Borschel - 3rd, DNP, and 1st

Daniel Dennis - 7th to 2nd

Tony Ramos - DNP, 3rd, 2nd, and 1st

Cory Clark - 5th, 2nd, 2nd, and 1st

ADS - DNP, 7th, 3rd, and 3rd

Is that a defense of them, or an indictment?

Not surprised you didn't understand my comment. You are a gym teacher that no one pays attention to.
Especially on this board with your comments that you attempt to devolve into political discussions. Go back to HROT and get your old ass off there. Adults here....

Especially on this board with your comments that you attempt to devolve into political discussions. Go back to HROT and get your old ass off there. Adults here....
Guess I'm the dip shit cause mods didn't move this. My bad

My only complaint against TnT is I think they are too old school in their mentality of takedowns being the end all be all of wrestling. I wish they focused more on scrambling. Takedowns are great and all.. but being able to scramble when a takedown attempt gets stuffed is something we've been struggling with for years. There's more to wrestling than takedowns but TnT don't seem to understand that. Just my worthless $.02.

Not surprised you didn't understand my comment. You are a gym teacher that no one pays attention to.
Oh please teach me things about Iowa Wrestling I don't know. Not sure what I ever did to you, but when you lead with gym teacher it says more about you. Sorry you don't like people who work with kids.

Umm, this years team was pretty hampered by injuries. Spencer was a big loss. There were others too.
The wrestling fans had no sympathy for Iowa bball losing Jack Nunge and having a banged up CJ and Jbo down the stretch last year when they were rubbing everyone's face in their title and doing their "excuses are for wusses" BS. And I watch and support Iowa wrestling. Even recently I was told they dominate and don't accept anything but excellence. What changed? Besides Penn St getting back to where they have been in 9 of last 12 seasons.... 5 national champions is domination, not 1

• Haha
Reactions: Hawkeyecurtis81
The wrestling fans had no sympathy for Iowa bball losing Jack Nunge and having a banged up CJ and Jbo down the stretch last year when they were rubbing everyone's face in their title and doing their "excuses are for wusses" BS. And I watch and support Iowa wrestling. Even recently I was told they dominate and don't accept anything but excellence. What changed? Besides Penn St getting back to where they have been in 9 of last 12 seasons.... 5 national champions is domination, not 1
Bs?Do you think that was about bball? That was about Lee commenting on his own injury not bball. 😂 The wrestling fans I know support basketball football and all other Hawkeye sports. I really don’t think you want to compare the 2 programs. Iowa basketball hasn’t been to the Sweet 16 in what 23 years? How many titles has wrestling had. I wish Fran had a better record of excellence.

My only complaint against TnT is I think they are too old school in their mentality of takedowns being the end all be all of wrestling. I wish they focused more on scrambling. Takedowns are great and all.. but being able to scramble when a takedown attempt gets stuffed is something we've been struggling with for years. There's more to wrestling than takedowns but TnT don't seem to understand that. Just my worthless $.02.

Scoring TD’s would be a great point of emphasis if the team actually, you know, scored takedowns. But we don’t get many of those. Which is why we lose almost every OT match.

Reactions: Kozisek
Bs?Do you think that was about bball? That was about Lee commenting on his own injury not bball. 😂 The wrestling fans I know support basketball football and all other Hawkeye sports. I really don’t think you want to compare the 2 programs. Iowa basketball hasn’t been to the Sweet 16 in what 23 years? How many titles has wrestling had. I wish Fran had a better record of excellence.

On the other hand, there are about two hundred schools that pursue basketball aggressively, and about twenty schools that pursue wrestling aggressively. So these are not comparable. And that is before we even get into the severe demographic disadvantage Iowa has for basketball.

On the other hand, there are about two hundred schools that pursue basketball aggressively, and about twenty schools that pursue wrestling aggressively. So these are not comparable.
You are correct they aren’t comparable totally different sports with totally different athletes. You can also make an argument there are many more D-1 basketball players available then there are D-1 wrestlers.

ADVERTISEMENT