ADVERTISEMENT

Iowalaw's Objective Post-Season Awards

1. Beathard: perhaps the fan expectations overestimated his ability or expected to see him improve rather than level off. His numbers were pretty well in line with prior seasons:

Completion %
Junior: 61.6
Senior: 58.6

TD
Junior: 17
Senior: 17

INT
Junior: 5
Senior: 7

Passer Rating
Junior: 139.5
Senior: 130.4

Iowa didn't throw the ball nearly as much taking away from volume stats like yards

Attempts
Junior: 362
Senior: 278

I think losing the top two receivers, leaving only a slot receiver as a viable option, is the main reason for the scaled back passing.

2. King: he was targeted fewer times but he was equally consistent as he was in the prior two season. According to PFF, in each of the past three seasons he held QBs to less than a 60 passer rating throwing into his coverage.

Some of these responses crack me up, especially the hillbilly tough guys who get on their computer and say "you're wrong" but don't have the intellect to even attempt to justify their opinion.:

I think most of us hillbillies have realized by now that it's a waste of time to respond with any substance to your posts. Probably best to just ignore you and your incessant trolling. There's definitely nothing wrong with differences of opinion but your posts are so far out there at times and so off the mark that it's become quite obvious you're just doing this for kicks and therefore not worth responding to.

1. Beathard: perhaps the fan expectations overestimated his ability or expected to see him improve rather than level off. His numbers were pretty well in line with prior seasons:

Completion %
Junior: 61.6
Senior: 58.6

TD
Junior: 17
Senior: 17

INT
Junior: 5
Senior: 7

Passer Rating
Junior: 139.5
Senior: 130.4

Iowa didn't throw the ball nearly as much taking away from volume stats like yards

Attempts
Junior: 362
Senior: 278

I think losing the top two receivers, leaving only a slot receiver as a viable option, is the main reason for the scaled back passing.

2. King: he was targeted fewer times but he was equally consistent as he was in the prior two season. According to PFF, in each of the past three seasons he held QBs to less than a 60 passer rating throwing into his coverage.

His concrete shoes this year were the biggest disappointment. His feet being a threat, like last year, sure would have helped everyone this year!

Some of these responses crack me up, especially the hillbilly tough guys who get on their computer and say "you're wrong" but don't have the intellect to even attempt to justify their opinion. To those who actually have opinions, I'll address a few:

1. Some actually believe King overachieved expectations this year with his 2 ints? King came out and said he was disappointed in how he performed this year, but that he does not regret coming back for his senior year. Interceptions aside, King DID have more tackles as an 18 year old true freshmen than he did as a 4th year senior all-American. King fumbled more punts this year than last, and had more personal fouls (including a back breaker against Michigan). King did get burned and whiffed more this year than last year. I'm sorry, but the guy did not meet his own expectations, and even though he played great this year, he did not play up to his abilities or expectations. Thus, he underachieved from his potential. Like I said, it's a travesty that King did not cover the opponents' best receivers this year and allowed Mabin to be a punching bag. Much of King's lack of production is due to poor coaching, which I've established.

2. CJ didn't suck this year? Well, he ranked 119th in the NCAA in passing, even behind quite a few true freshmen at other schools. Not since 1982 have the Hawkeyes totaled fewer than 2,000 passing yards in a season, and Iowa’s at 1,936, which means this was the worst passing attack in the Ferentz era. Iowa’s 11.5 yards per completion rank 96th in FBS, showing he refused to even try to throw the ball down the field. Finally, he was sacked 29 times (once per 9.6 attempts). You can blindly blame the OL, but they graded out pretty well, and the announcers stated game after game that CJ holds the ball too long. Maybe it's a conspiracy? CJ and Ferentz said each week that he's not hurt. Do tell what his mysterious "injury" is that caused these horrible stats, rather than ignorantly claiming "he's hurt," without justification...and explain why our backup threw just 8 balls all year. Another conspiracy against CJ?

3. No one agrees that Mitchell deserved playing time, just like no one thought Wadley deserved playing time last year? Ignorance in believing the "best players always play...just because they play." Well, if you want to argue with his 6.5 yard per carry average (which is the same insane amount as Wadley averaged this year), feel free to embarrass yourself. Explain why that isn't good enough. He had 15 receptions last year, despite being just our 4th team RB...that is more catches than Fant, Scheel, or Daniels had this year. With that production a year ago, Mitchell couldn't line up at the slot? If you want to argue that Kirk doesn't favor kids or have a dog house, or that Mitchell was happy sitting on the bench all season, ask yourself if you would transfer when you only get 4 years of eligibility. How many other backs in the country averaged 6.5 yards per carry last year, and were cast off in limbo. He will be senior next year, and is not going to want to risk being in Kirk's dog house again. I wonder if he qualifies as a grad transfer.

What a dolt. To compound the initial stupidity with something such as this is pure idiocy. Congrats on once again outdoing yourself.

1. King played in more games as a frosh than Iowa has this season. With one game remaining, let's wait and see how the numbers add up. No doubt you will be back to rant here again. King fielded more punts this season than last and still has that one game remaining to be played. Leave it to you to jump to conclusions.

You act as if you have ESP... when, in reality, all you are doing is spouting and spewing, pretending to be some sort of guru. Fact is you do not know what his expectations where so it is entirely possible that you are incorrect.

But, hey it is good to note how well the coaching staff did during King's frosh, soph and junior years!

2 C J Beathard helped lead Iowa to eight wins thus far in 2016. Combine that with last season and it results in twenty wins in nearly two seasons. How many of your touted 'true freshmen' QBs have that to their record? Playing at less than 100% healthy the entire year can impact a players ability to do certain things. C J sacrificed some mobility from last season and paid the price for it this year. Still, he was far and away the best option and showed superb leadership. He is and will continue to be a great Hawkeye.

Iowa's 11.5 yards per completion is all of just over 1 yard off from that team statistic one year ago... you recall, when Iowa was 12-0 at this same time last season. So much for pulling stats out of your anus to try to prove a point.

The OL has been a case study in how to make ends meet when injury after injury after injury come up. Tell us how many different combinations of the starting five came up during the 2016 season. In the game last Friday, Iowa started three juniors and two sophs totally forty-one career starts collectively. The fact that they are receiving accolades and recognition for their efforts is a testament to the Hawkeye program.

Have you ever truly seen or watched a Hawkeye game. It was widely reported prior to the season that C J had suffered a knee injury in practice and he wore a very noticeable brace on that knee this season. It does not take even a casual observer to notice such. There was/is no mystery and certainly no conspiracy except in your own feeble and warped mind.

3. It has also been rumored that Mitchell was not completely healthy this year. But, of course, that was not divulged to you so it cannot possibly be close to accurate. The running back position was manned by two very capable players - one who has surpassed 1,000 yards on the year! You have to be ecstatic about that! If Mitchell was dinged up, it made no sense to further risk his playing status by inserting him unnecessarily into games. He will be vital to the Hawks in 2017.

What other completely lacking of any wisdom can you contrive to troll this site?

Reactions: DarkThunder#61
What a dolt. To compound the initial stupidity with something such as this is pure idiocy. Congrats on once again outdoing yourself.

1. King played in more games as a frosh than Iowa has this season. With one game remaining, let's wait and see how the numbers add up. No doubt you will be back to rant here again. King fielded more punts this season than last and still has that one game remaining to be played. Leave it to you to jump to conclusions.

You act as if you have ESP... when, in reality, all you are doing is spouting and spewing, pretending to be some sort of guru. Fact is you do not know what his expectations where so it is entirely possible that you are incorrect.

But, hey it is good to note how well the coaching staff did during King's frosh, soph and junior years!

2 C J Beathard helped lead Iowa to eight wins thus far in 2016. Combine that with last season and it results in twenty wins in nearly two seasons. How many of your touted 'true freshmen' QBs have that to their record? Playing at less than 100% healthy the entire year can impact a players ability to do certain things. C J sacrificed some mobility from last season and paid the price for it this year. Still, he was far and away the best option and showed superb leadership. He is and will continue to be a great Hawkeye.

Iowa's 11.5 yards per completion is all of just over 1 yard off from that team statistic one year ago... you recall, when Iowa was 12-0 at this same time last season. So much for pulling stats out of your anus to try to prove a point.

The OL has been a case study in how to make ends meet when injury after injury after injury come up. Tell us how many different combinations of the starting five came up during the 2016 season. In the game last Friday, Iowa started three juniors and two sophs totally forty-one career starts collectively. The fact that they are receiving accolades and recognition for their efforts is a testament to the Hawkeye program.

Have you ever truly seen or watched a Hawkeye game. It was widely reported prior to the season that C J had suffered a knee injury in practice and he wore a very noticeable brace on that knee this season. It does not take even a casual observer to notice such. There was/is no mystery and certainly no conspiracy except in your own feeble and warped mind.

3. It has also been rumored that Mitchell was not completely healthy this year. But, of course, that was not divulged to you so it cannot possibly be close to accurate. The running back position was manned by two very capable players - one who has surpassed 1,000 yards on the year! You have to be ecstatic about that! If Mitchell was dinged up, it made no sense to further risk his playing status by inserting him unnecessarily into games. He will be vital to the Hawks in 2017.

What other completely lacking of any wisdom can you contrive to troll this site?

1. If Mitchell was truly injured this year they would have been more transparent about it, just like they are with everyone else. I'm not buying it.

2. CJ's mobility was a liability in the pocket this year. I think he gained weight. That combined with holding on to the ball too long resulted in a lot of drive killing sacks.

3. I'm not sure King "underperformed" and King is a very good corner. But Iowalaw is right that he did get burned a few times this year that really hurt us

Reactions: iowalaw
1. If Mitchell was truly injured this year they would have been more transparent about it, just like they are with everyone else. I'm not buying it.

2. CJ's mobility was a liability in the pocket this year. I think he gained weight. That combined with holding on to the ball too long resulted in a lot of drive killing sacks.

3. I'm not sure King "underperformed" and King is a very good corner. But Iowalaw is right that he did get burned a few times this year that really hurt us

1, 2, and 3. Wrong.

Some of these responses crack me up, especially the hillbilly tough guys who get on their computer and say "you're wrong" but don't have the intellect to even attempt to justify their opinion. To those who actually have opinions, I'll address a few:

1. Some actually believe King overachieved expectations this year with his 2 ints? King came out and said he was disappointed in how he performed this year, but that he does not regret coming back for his senior year. Interceptions aside, King DID have more tackles as an 18 year old true freshmen than he did as a 4th year senior all-American. King fumbled more punts this year than last, and had more personal fouls (including a back breaker against Michigan). King did get burned and whiffed more this year than last year. I'm sorry, but the guy did not meet his own expectations, and even though he played great this year, he did not play up to his abilities or expectations. Thus, he underachieved from his potential. Like I said, it's a travesty that King did not cover the opponents' best receivers this year and allowed Mabin to be a punching bag. Much of King's lack of production is due to poor coaching, which I've established.

2. CJ didn't suck this year? Well, he ranked 119th in the NCAA in passing, even behind quite a few true freshmen at other schools. Not since 1982 have the Hawkeyes totaled fewer than 2,000 passing yards in a season, and Iowa’s at 1,936, which means this was the worst passing attack in the Ferentz era. Iowa’s 11.5 yards per completion rank 96th in FBS, showing he refused to even try to throw the ball down the field. Finally, he was sacked 29 times (once per 9.6 attempts). You can blindly blame the OL, but they graded out pretty well, and the announcers stated game after game that CJ holds the ball too long. Maybe it's a conspiracy? CJ and Ferentz said each week that he's not hurt. Do tell what his mysterious "injury" is that caused these horrible stats, rather than ignorantly claiming "he's hurt," without justification...and explain why our backup threw just 8 balls all year. Another conspiracy against CJ?

3. No one agrees that Mitchell deserved playing time, just like no one thought Wadley deserved playing time last year? Ignorance in believing the "best players always play...just because they play." Well, if you want to argue with his 6.5 yard per carry average (which is the same insane amount as Wadley averaged this year), feel free to embarrass yourself. Explain why that isn't good enough. He had 15 receptions last year, despite being just our 4th team RB...that is more catches than Fant, Scheel, or Daniels had this year. With that production a year ago, Mitchell couldn't line up at the slot? If you want to argue that Kirk doesn't favor kids or have a dog house, or that Mitchell was happy sitting on the bench all season, ask yourself if you would transfer when you only get 4 years of eligibility. How many other backs in the country averaged 6.5 yards per carry last year, and were cast off in limbo. He will be senior next year, and is not going to want to risk being in Kirk's dog house again. I wonder if he qualifies as a grad transfer.

I like most of your conclusions however,

1. King is a good player and could have been great! Yes He made some mistakes, the Michigan game mistake wasn't a back breaker, if it were Iowa would have lost. That being said King more than made up for his mistakes by continually making great plays. Kings special teams instincts play is pretty good based on his stats and will be missed next year. Could the coaches have used him like Michigan's Peppers sure but they didn't so time to move on.

2. CJ didn't suck this year, his poise and leadership led to Iowa's memorable ending to an average season. CJ played with what he was given considering the injuries to key players throughout the year. Several times receivers dropped balls that could have kept drives alive and were unable to do so. Did he have a great year stat wise no, however, I can only think of a few quarterbacks in Iowa's history who could have possibly done better. This is a team game and the team achieved as best it could this year. Backup QB Stanley has been made that because his skills are worthy there is no reason to question the coaches on this. Yes Stanley used a year of elgibility but he also got some valuable experience whether he played 8 snaps or 40.

3. I agree I would have liked Mitchell to get more playing time, however, I think Iowa's progression from the Penn St. loss to Nebraska victory was a great achievement for this team who could have laid down the rest of the way. Daniels and Wadley are a great combination, that being big said Mitchell could do wonders next year when given the chance...it's his turn now. Suggesting Mitchell transfer is not a solid approach considering his potental next year. The coaches make decisions sometimes maybe they regret but we should let them make those decisions in the best interest of the team.

Go Hawks!

1. Some actually believe King overachieved expectations this year with his 2 ints?

You do realize how horrible this stat can be at evaluating top corners, right? INT's are a function of how often QB's throw at you. Most teams stayed away from him and for a good reason. Our secondary struggled at times in coverage mainly due to poor angles and coverage by the safeties.

Hi, iowalaw. How are you?

Btw............I read your OPs. And I must say:

guardians-of-the-galaxy-fake-laugh-rocket-raccoon-laughing-14078001160.gif

Not riding nuts here, but I think iowalaw's posts are spot on. He's like a doctor that tells you that you're fat and need to exercise and lose weight. You initially get mad, but in the end you know it's true. He may be a little harsh sometimes, but his passion for Iowa football is evident.

Not riding nuts here, but I think iowalaw's posts are spot on. He's like a doctor that tells you that you're fat and need to exercise and lose weight. You initially get mad, but in the end you know it's true. He may be a little harsh sometimes, but his passion for Iowa football is evident.
A doctor that isn't licensed to practice maybe......

He's not diagnosing Iowa's problems. He's just telling us what he doesn't like and then calling it objective for shock value to get people to comment on his threads.

Or to use your analogy, he's not telling us, in his professional opinion, that we're fat and need to exercise and lose weight......he's telling us that he doesn't like that we're fat and that we need to lose weight because it bothers him, and perhaps even offends him. THAT is what iowalaw is doing.

Agree with a lot of your awards, Iowalaw, but disagree with King. It was going to be tough for him to replicate last year's performance. He tried to hard to make things happen some games, but he never cost Iowa a game the way that my Most Disappointing Defensive Starter (Miles Taylor) did. Last year safety was a strength and this year, well, until Gair stepped in it was a weakness. I had thought Snyder was the big problem earlier in the year, but that was mostly bias because it SEEMED like Taylor had a good year at safety in 2015. Maybe he did. But he got burned a multitude of times, missed open field tackles, was run over whenever he got near the line of scrimmage, and was too easily blocked downfield. Big disappointment at critical position, one I thought would be very solid this year.

My Team MVP would be shared by Daniels and Wadley. They provided a great 1-2 punch which looks even more impressive given that there was no passing game to take pressure off of them. The line was excellent at run blocking in all of the wins, freakishly bad in losses to NDSU, Penn State, and Northwestern (I'll be forgiving with WI since their D was strong), and the pass protection was never really there -- but I have a hard time blaming the OL since there were almost always 5-plus guys rushing the passer, Beatherd held the ball too long because he couldn't read the defense fast enough, and/or WRs got open too infrequently.

However, I don't put Beatherd as the most disappointing. He was close, but I have to say the WRs were atrocious. MVB getting hurt didn't help, but we've seen other positions take a hit on past Iowa teams and there is usually a couple of decent/reliable backups. Hell, Gair and Rugamba were upgrades on D! McCarron was a blessing, but he should have been WR#4 (WR#3 after MVB went down). Smith looks like a bust and Scheel was invisible. Fant came on as a Pass-Catching TE when Kittle went down (Kittle was another target Beatherd failed to utilize when he was healthy--until the last game of the year). Falconer? Young? Parker? Mitchell? Boyle? I have no idea if any of them are any good because they saw so little playing time. I would say they must be horrible if they couldn't displace Smith or Scheel, but I just have to remember how Gair, in particular, played once he got a shot at safety. Who knows who else on the bench should have been starting?

Reactions: iowalaw
A doctor that isn't licensed to practice maybe......

He's not diagnosing Iowa's problems. He's just telling us what he doesn't like and then calling it objective for shock value to get people to comment on his threads.

Or to use your analogy, he's not telling us, in his professional opinion, that we're fat and need to exercise and lose weight......he's telling us that he doesn't like that we're fat and that we need to lose weight because it bothers him, and perhaps even offends him. THAT is what iowalaw is doing.

I was quite pleased with Dr. Iowalaw's diagnosis and you've provided nothing but opinions about the doctor rather than the players and coaches. If you dislike his analysis then write your own--I'd be interested in reading it even if it was wrong. Oh, and by the way, he never called it objective. In fact, he asked posters to add whatever awards they wanted to add. Look at my response to his original post--I disagreed with a couple of his choices, but instead of saying "You're a sensationalist shock jock" I provided reasons why I made other choices for certain awards. But even where I disagreed they were close calls--for example, I chose the entire WR corps as the most disappointing offensive player, but I had Beatherd a close second.

I was quite pleased with Dr. Iowalaw's diagnosis and you've provided nothing but opinions about the doctor rather than the players and coaches. If you dislike his analysis then write your own--I'd be interested in reading it even if it was wrong. Oh, and by the way, he never called it objective. In fact, he asked posters to add whatever awards they wanted to add. Look at my response to his original post--I disagreed with a couple of his choices, but instead of saying "You're a sensationalist shock jock" I provided reasons why I made other choices for certain awards. But even where I disagreed they were close calls--for example, I chose the entire WR corps as the most disappointing offensive player, but I had Beatherd a close second.

The regular season has already come to an end. An 8-4 season is nothing to hang our heads about, especially with a huge win against #3 Michigan. However, regardless of how the bowl game plays out, we will always wonder "what if" when looking back at 2016. The media will soon publish all conference/all american/etc. warm and fuzzy awards, Iowalaw's awards are the only place to get a non-white washed version of the best AND worst performers of Iowa's season:

Team MVP - Wadley. Arguments can be made for several Hawks, but this year's MVP goes to...a 2nd teamer! That's right, despite getting 52 less carries than the starter, and leading the entire Big 10 conference in yards per carry (2 more yards each carry than Daniels), Akrum was hands down the most valuable player on this year's team. We may never again see an Iowa player who received more praise from opposing players and coaches than his own head coach. Wadley single handedly carried Iowa on his shoulders to defeat Michigan (115 yrds rushing and 52 receiving)...and the staff's unexplainable benching of him for the NDSU game lost a game for us (Daniels had 14 carries for just 29 yrds, while Wadley got just 4 carries for 20 yards. Embarrassing coaching mistake). Wadley was a 2 game swing by himself.

Team Underachiever of the Year - Beathard. A lot was expected out of the Big Ten's 2015 2nd team all Big 10 QB. CJ returned for his senior year with a stacked RB tandem and 5 OL with starting experience on a 12-0 team. I was his biggest fan, and even speculated that he could be a Heisman candidate if the Hawks had another great season. How did CJ respond? By growing a scraggly goatee and putting up some of the worst QB numbers in the 18 year Ferentz era. The Hawks ranked 13th in the Big 10 in passing offense under CJ, and 113th in the country in scoring offense. CJ, who had been known for his cannon of an arm, scrambling ability, and gutsy leadership, was the king of the 2 yard pass on 3rd and 7, had no ability to avoid sacks while holding the ball way too long in the pocket, and was a shell of a leader this year. Last year he was gutsy and cocky, and this year, he showed no fire, no awareness, and was tagged delay of game penalties/time outs with 1 second on the clock virtually every game. Some say he was "hurt," yet his coaches called designed QB draws every game, and CJ did not show signs of any limp, nor did he discuss any injuries at all at press conferences (he discussed injuries every week last year). Since he wasn't hurt, others blame his production on the WRs sucking...they did. But a good QB finds a way to thread the needle and make his WRs seem better than they are. Pre-season, CJ was the top senior QB going into the draft. Now, he's a 3rd day draft pick at best. Time will tell whether it was the coaches that killed CJ or he was just the beneficiary of a great team and a soft schedule last year.

Defensive MVP - Jewell. Another tough one, with Johnson coming on big time late in the season, but Jewell finished the season with 114 tackles, just 2 away from leading the Big 10 in tackles. This is despite missing a full game after being ejected. Jewell was the team leader on defense and never seemed to take plays off. He played well against the run and pass, and although he did get a few dumb penalties, that was more a sign of being aggressive than mental mistakes. Honorable Mention - Davis and King will probably be drafted higher than Jewell, but Jewell was more valuable to this team.

Defensive Underachiever of the Year - King. The nation's returning 1st team All American CB came back to school for his senior year to rewrite the record books. He had 69 tackles as a true freshmen. 64 tackles and 3 ints as a true sophomore. 72 tackles and 8 ints as a junior. And what was his encore? 53 tackles and 2 ints. Fans like myself were screaming at the coaches since the ISU game to stop being stubborn and have King shadow the opponent's top receiver, regardless of what side of the field he was on. They refused, and opponents picked Mabin apart while King watched from the opposite side of the field. We wanted to see Kind play some WR. They refused, and we watched WRs drop 5 yard slant passes. In the end, the underutilization of King will go down in history as the worst waste of talent since Willie Guy. However, part of King's lack of production was on him. He took plays off this year, he tried to strip balls (and missed) rather than making tackles, and he talked so much trash that NFL analysts have noted that he "randys around too much and needs to just play football." We were lucky to have King, and he will be missed, but he could have been a guy everyeone in the nation was talking about, and he was a non factor this year.

Newcomer of the Year - Coluzzi. What a god send Coluzzi was. We have seen what it's like to have a shaking punter kill us in the field possession game. And we know what it's like to get torched by speedy kick returners. Despite not even being offered a scholarship to Iowa, Coluzzi wanted to play Big 10 ball and knew he was good enough, so he walked on at Iowa. He was as dominant as a punter/kicker as we've had since Ryan Donahue. Had a 41 yard punting avg, but more importantly, virtually no one could return punts against him due to all of the hang time. He had 40 kickoffs that went through the end zone, which is the majority of his kicks.

Wasted Redshirt of the Year - Stanley. It caused a lot of excitement when true freshmen Stanley was named 2nd team QB ahead of a more experienced backup, Wiegers. I openly wondered what the point was, unless CJ got hurt and Stanley was that much better than Wiegers. CJ stayed healthy all season long and played almost every snap, including in blowouts like Neb. So rather than keeping Wiegers happy at Iowa and keeping Stanley on the shelf to save his eligibility, Kirk burned a full 12 games of Stanley's 2020 eligibility so that he could throw a grand total of 8 passes, completing 5 of them. Did Stanley get invaluable experience as the #2 that would make such a dumb move worth while? Probably not, as Wiegers was still the guy who held the clip board, sent in all signals this year and met with CJ during timeouts while Stanley stayed on the bench. Honorable Mention - Jones (LB), Young got zero targets (WR)

Coach of the Year - Chris White. Statistically, the Hawks were pretty mediocre in virtually all categories. However, we were 1st in kick returns, 2nd in punt returns, 3rd in punting, and solid on kick and punt coverage. This is in spite of using walkons in several key positions, including our clutch place kicker...which tells me they were coached up. Kudos to the coach that probably gets the least credit, yet is one of our best recruiters. Honorable Mention - Morgan.

Worst Coach of the Year - Davis. Win or lose, this team was one of the most boring offenses in all of college football. Statistically, the scoring offense was nearly last in D1. Was that because the team lacked play makers? NOPE! We boasted the best RB tandem in the Ferentz era, one of its best pro prospect QBs, and a solid OL. No one will ever know what the offensive staff was thinking, hiding Derrick Mitchell and Jonathan Parker, two PROVEN offensive spark plugs who never got to sniff the field, while Jereminic Smith whiffed on pass after pass and Scheel was a ghost out there. Davis was a square peg in Kirk's scheme, and he simply doesn't belong. QBs regressed under him, and our offense needs a change. Time for new blood, and I am NOT talking about hiring the Coach's inept son.
Iowalaw, You do realize Brian Ferentz knows exponentially more about football than you, correct?

Asides like 'his inept son' make every statement you make so deeply suspect. Such inherent bias and venomous Ferentz-hatred render all of your opinions invalid on their face.

You have passion and insight. Could you possibly offer it without so much vitriol?

Then more of us could play.

Iowalaw, You do realize Brian Ferentz knows exponentially more about football than you, correct?

Yeah, but Brian Ferentz doesn't post his opinions about the team here. Just reminding you this is a message board, you know, a place where people share ideas and opinions. In fact, if there were no ideas or opinions shared there would be nothing to read. Just saying.

Reactions: BigDan21
Yeah, but Brian Ferentz doesn't post his opinions about the team here. Just reminding you this is a message board, you know, a place where people share ideas and opinions. In fact, if there were no ideas or opinions shared there would be nothing to read. Just saying.
Ok, and I'm "just saying", if you use the word "inept" in to describe a person who is significantly more accomplished and knowledgeable on the subject your discussing, I will use this message board to let you know your ridiculous.

Not a fan of negative awards, like most underachieving ....

MVP - Josey Jewell

Offensive POY - Wadley

Defensive POY - Johnson

Coach of the Year - Parker

Special teams POY - Colluzzi

Newcomer of the Year - Rugamba

Sr of the Year - Beathard/Daniels

Ok, and I'm "just saying", if you use the word "inept" in to describe a person who is significantly more accomplished and knowledgeable on the subject your discussing, I will use this message board to let you know your ridiculous.

I see. I didn't catch that in his post so, yeah, fair criticism on your part.

How do you know the coaches "failed" Mends? Were you at every practice, game, team meeting, film study, etc. to ensure us that Mends was holding up his end of the bargain?

I don't know either way, it just seems that you believe you have some objective insider knowledge. You must be awfully tight to the team to know better than the coaches who should be playing.

My sources said Mends was given the job coming into fall camp, but had a very rough camp physically and mentally as well. Bower was more consistent and mistakes were smaller and less impactful. He was also dealing with some injuries. Don't kill the messenger. Mends is a hard worker and good kid. I would never count him out. He's got two years and likely a starter as a senior- see Cole Fisher.

Post season MVPs - Wadley and King. Both played like pros today and will be badly missed. Who knows what could have been if Wadley started and King got to take snaps on offense.

Post season under performer - Beathard. All I can say is, wow. There are kids playing in the CIML who I know for a fact would have put up better numbers than CJ did today. Awful QB play.

Post season coaching MVP - Parker. Phil put together a really good game plan against a tough SEC opponent. We owned them in the first half, and if the offense wouldn't have gone 3 and out every other possession, and if defenders would have wrapped up, our D (lead by King), played lights out.

Post season coaching fail - Davis. Bye Davis. One month to prepare for Florida only to call runs up the middle and get no new players involved the entire game? You gone.

Hope for the future player - Mends. Low and behold, we had a Mends sighting. Probably only because Bower had an equipment problem, and Mends was quickly replaced. But when he did get out there, he looked great. I hope my prediction that he transfers doesn't come true.

Reactions: hawkeye_power
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT