ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Post Game Analysis: Indiana

Incorrect.

#1. Penix is overrated. Tuttle is the best QB on Indianas roster.

#2. Indiana has a terrible OL coach and OC. I suspect that Tom Allen will fire those guys after they inevitably lose more games than they should.

You guys have a really good team. But Indiana played like Dog crap. And a lot of that is on them.
Indiana definitely suffered from the game 1 "lay an egg" thing that happens to so many teams. I certainly wouldn't take this game alone as an evaluation to how good they are. We'll see how they bounce back after this.

Reactions: F5n5
Petras is what he is, game manager AT best, he isn't going to carry the team or bring your team back from behind he just doesn't have IT.....below average Qb is his best bet and that doesn't bold well for Iowa winning many big game where the D doesn't get you 20points

Reactions: Richie Modano
Petras is what he is, game manager AT best, he isn't going to carry the team or bring your team back from behind he just doesn't have IT.....below average Qb is his best bet and that doesn't bold well for Iowa winning many big game where the D doesn't get you 20points
I want to see Padilla, and now.

Blown away he didn’t get more opportunity in the 4th quarter.

Last edited:
Incorrect.

#1. Penix is overrated. Tuttle is the best QB on Indianas roster.

#2. Indiana has a terrible OL coach and OC. I suspect that Tom Allen will fire those guys after they inevitably lose more games than they should.

You guys have a really good team. But Indiana played like Dog crap. And a lot of that is on them.
you played like dog crap because iowa's defense made you play like dog crap.

I want to see Padilla, and now.

Blown away he didn’t get more opportunity in the 4th quarter.
He should have played the whole 4th. No reason not to. Defense had everything in hand. Gotta keep guys invested and ready to go.

With all these negative posts on Petras, I have to question whether we all watched the same game. He missed on two balls: the one where he booted left and threw it short, and the would be touchdown to Tracy. Otherwise, we had the dropsies, he threw a couple away because of coverage, he threw one bad pass on an out because a bad snap threw off the timing, and missed on a deep ball as he was getting hit on an untouched blitzer. Petras really didn’t do much wrong

@unoHawkeye - Petras completed less than 50% of his passes. That's abysmal for a D1 returning starter, not "he missed on 2 balls and threw a couple away." Many of the balls he threw away were not a result of coverage, they were a result of him locking on 1 receiver, seeing that he was covered, and throwing the ball away because he failed to go through his progressions and see the 2 other guys wide open. That poor quarterbacking.

@BioHawk - let's hope out of sync blocking can explain Goodson's lackluster running. Unfortunately, there's nothing overly complex about the running scheme. I also didn't see the box loaded up too much where Indiana would sell out to stop the run. If that had happened, the 2.3 yards per carry would have been even less.

@sober_teacher - Petras was "clearly more comfortable than any time last year?" Even in Iowa's last game of the season last year, Petras completed 56% of his passes for 211 yards and 2 touchdowns. The game before that, he completed 64% of his passes for 220 yards and 3 touchdowns. You're saying he "clearly" looked better against Indiana? c'mon man. I'm not seeing it.

@georgia hawk - Pennix has 31 pass attempts. Iowa's D line was credited with 1 sack and 4 QB hurries. Maybe to you that's lights out DLine play. To me, it's the lone weak spot in an otherwise stellar defense.

The fact that we are still debating about Petras says a lot and should be a little worrisome. If we can’t run the ball and they double cover Laporta Iowa would be in trouble.

@unoHawkeye @BioHawk - let's hope out of sync blocking can explain Goodson's lackluster running. Unfortunately, there's nothing overly complex about the running scheme. I also didn't see the box loaded up too much where Indiana would sell out to stop the run. If that had happened, the 2.3 yards per carry would have been even less.
Fair enough. I'm not a knowledgeable enough observer to know for sure if that's what it was. I was just basing that on just about every other first game I've watched where the OL blocking (and often the DL as well) just isn't up to where it needs to be and we usually see a huge improvement from game 1 to game 2. I guess we'll find out Saturday.

We probably also can't forget that Iowa was trying to protect a lead and may not have been doing many of things they normally would do to create some space for Goodson to run. No need to tip off ISU if they didn't have to.

Even if you are right, hopefully the coaching can help address some of the issues he was having some week. I know they saw the same things you did (probably more since it is their job). Let's hope they can address for Saturday!

Reactions: IowasLaw
@unoHawkeye - Petras completed less than 50% of his passes. That's abysmal for a D1 returning starter, not "he missed on 2 balls and threw a couple away." Many of the balls he threw away were not a result of coverage, they were a result of him locking on 1 receiver, seeing that he was covered, and throwing the ball away because he failed to go through his progressions and see the 2 other guys wide open. That poor quarterbacking.

@BioHawk - let's hope out of sync blocking can explain Goodson's lackluster running. Unfortunately, there's nothing overly complex about the running scheme. I also didn't see the box loaded up too much where Indiana would sell out to stop the run. If that had happened, the 2.3 yards per carry would have been even less.

@sober_teacher - Petras was "clearly more comfortable than any time last year?" Even in Iowa's last game of the season last year, Petras completed 56% of his passes for 211 yards and 2 touchdowns. The game before that, he completed 64% of his passes for 220 yards and 3 touchdowns. You're saying he "clearly" looked better against Indiana? c'mon man. I'm not seeing it.

@georgia hawk - Pennix has 31 pass attempts. Iowa's D line was credited with 1 sack and 4 QB hurries. Maybe to you that's lights out DLine play. To me, it's the lone weak spot in an otherwise stellar defense.
Perhaps, it was just that to me, Petras looked more comfortable standing in the pocket, whereas last year he always looked like he was in a hurry to get the ball out quickly.

I feel like he had two “bad” throws where he missed or under threw open receiver, was smart on his throwaways, and was on target most of the time. His stat line (against a good Indiana defense), would have looked a lot better with receivers catching even two of the four drops.

ADVERTISEMENT