ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Post Game Analysis: Iowa State

@ghostOfHomer777 - I think it's less a matter of short memory and more an expectation that the guy who posts daily workout videos of himself all spring (Goodson) and the guy who spent a highly publicized week working on his mechanics with a "qb guru" (Petras) to show substantial improvement over the previous year. Instead, both appear to have regressed since the end of their sophomore years.

Sure, the competition at the end of last season was pretty bad. But who's to say Indiana and ISU are any good this year? ISU nearly lost to Northern Iowa last week and got drubbed by the Hawks. Indiana plays Cincinnati next week and the oddsmakers say they are going to be 1-2 by the time the game's over.

At this stage, we know what we've got in Petras. I'm more interested in figuring out what's going on with Goodson. The guy doesn't seem right.

I think what you Petras-apologists don’t realize is that we (Petras-critics) obviously understand that we’re 2-0 against top20 teams and are on a winning streak. This is 95% because of our insane defense.
Petras made a few good plays but made countless high school-level errors that you wouldn’t expect a quarterback in his 4th year to make. If he shored up all of the little things, then yeah we’d stop complaining

No, it is not obvious that you realize that Iowa is 2-0. Name one quarterback who makes every play during a game. I have said that Petras needs to be better. He did make a couple of great throws, particularly in the second quarter. The touchdown pass to Jones was a beautifully thrown ball. The third and long pass to LaPorta was huge as it helped Iowa flip the field. The sacks were a problem, as I have said.

Iowa is not winning because of Petras, but they are not losing because of Petras either. That is more than both Indiana or Iowa State can say at this time. This is a low bar, but Iowa is up to number 5 in the country so it is working. I expect the offense will look better with Shooter coming back and they will not be playing top 25 defenses.

Reactions: desihawk
We can win with Petras if we have a good running game. Thus far the O line is making very few good lanes to get TyGood into the LBs and secondary.

Not that Spencer is good he's just safe. A lot of people overlook how downfield looks on the ground, vs. in the air. There are defenders in Spencer's face that probably effects what he sees. Having said all that Spencer's mental game appears to be more slowly developing.

Reactions: Pete in LA
Yeah, I know. It's discouraging to have a QB that can't do more than what Petras is managing to do.

Note - Stanley threw for 333 yards 5 TD's against ISU in his second game as a starter.

That is correct, but Iowa had to go into overtime to win that game so Iowa needed all of those points. Yesterday’s game was over before the fourth quarter even started. Iowa did not need to throw the ball to win yesterday.

Reactions: Hawk_4shur
@ghostOfHomer777 - I think it's less a matter of short memory and more an expectation that the guy who posts daily workout videos of himself all spring (Goodson) and the guy who spent a highly publicized week working on his mechanics with a "qb guru" (Petras) to show substantial improvement over the previous year. Instead, both appear to have regressed since the end of their sophomore years.

Sure, the competition at the end of last season was pretty bad. But who's to say Indiana and ISU are any good this year? ISU nearly lost to Northern Iowa last week and got drubbed by the Hawks. Indiana plays Cincinnati next week and the oddsmakers say they are going to be 1-2 by the time the game's over.

At this stage, we know what we've got in Petras. I'm more interested in figuring out what's going on with Goodson. The guy doesn't seem right.
But why focus so much on the skill guys when we know that their performance hinges so much upon the execution of those who are blocking in front of them?

Furthermore, how about a little acknowledgement that with Shooter out ... that leaves us with one multi-year starter (Linderbaum) and a guy with something like 8 career starts (Ince). The Hawks have a RS FR starting at LT in Richman ... a RS SO starting at RT in DeJong ... neither of whom saw much of any positional reps last season. Ince was also out for the spring ... so who knows how much rust he needs to knock off. Lastly, Britt had been battling plenty of prior injuries ... and this is really his first go seeing an extended number of reps. For goodness sakes ... one of our top backups on the interior line is a true freshman in Connor Colby. That's heartening ... because he clearly must be quite talented to jump ahead of a number of other folks ... but that will obviously not be without some hiccups as he ascends the learning curve.

Anyhow, given Iowa's pro-style O ... it's a pretty unforgiving style of ball if the blocking isn't getting the job done. We've been seeing the painful truth in that observation.

However, on the flip side ... it's fascinating to also realize that our style of ball is also accomplishing EXACTLY what it's intended to do too. Despite racking up a measly 173 yards on O ... we still managed to possess the ball for over 31 minutes! Also, despite such poor production in terms of yardage ... the offense still managed to put 20 points on the board. An even more inept offense wouldn't have even managed that!

It seems rather foolish to be painting a negative portrait of Goodson (or even Petras) ... when some of those mitigating circumstances are well outside their control.

I'm willing to tolerate Petras as long as he doesn't turn the ball over, can make a few great plays a game, and the defense remains elite. I can guarantee you that the Ferentz's aren't keeping a Heisman Trophy winning QB riding the bench because they like Petras better. He needs to get better. The entire offense needs to get better, but he's who we've got.

Oh, and it's called a screen play. I'm no expert but I've seen them be pretty effective when the defense is crashing the line to stop the run.
Screen passes are good but Iowa tends to telegraph what they are doing somehow because so many teams, elite or not seem to almost never be caught off guard on virtually any play Iowa runs.
Maybe this is why KF constantly preaches the need to execute.

IKM was definitely running with more confidence than Goodson. I too would like to see a Williams with a carry. And an Arland Bruce.

Sorry but the troll isn't getting a pass on his BS. Said TG and his family said the only reason he came back this year was to audition for the NFL. Where was he going if he didn't come back, Captain Asshat?
This clown is an ISU troll slinging shit. Nothing more.

I think people are focusing a bit too much on Petras for those sacks.

About the only thing he could've done was step "into" the pocket and air mail a ball in the hopes that it was close enough to a receiver, but also not in any danger of getting tipped and/or picked.

Otherwise, he did not have the time on those 3rd and long plays to wait for the routes to develop.

That is partly (or mostly) on the play calling/scheme. And the other part would be the protection.

I'd have to go back and watch both plays to be certain, but here's what I remember from both plays:

- Only one receiver was even looking back at Spencer based on the replay view we were given, which is basically what Spencer is seeing while getting pressured in the pocket, on both occasions....and on both occasions that receiver was blanketed and not an option.

- None of the other receivers were either open or looking back for the ball because they were still running their route past the line to gain on those 3rd and longs

- You can credit ISU getting pressure and forcing Petras both out of the pocket on the first play and into the pocket on the second play, but again, he was not given time to settle in to make a good throw to whoever the play was designed to go to

- Worse yet, Iowa started in max protect on the second sack and they still allowed Petras to get pressured up into the pocket and eventually sacked and we're talking less than 4 seconds.

When you don't have a quick option, even if it's short of the first down line, you're gonna need to provide the QB time to let the slow-developing routes develop............and they didn't.

So yeah you can criticize Petras for being slow and not doing more to get himself into a position to throw the ball away, but he's not the sole source of blame......and maybe not even the main source..........Brian.
I thought the play calling was excellent in the 2nd quarter when the offense put the two TD's on the board. After we got the big lead in the 2nd half we were going to be conservative. Seems to be working pretty good. Go Hawks !

I think what you Petras-apologists don’t realize is that we (Petras-critics) obviously understand that we’re 2-0 against top20 teams and are on a winning streak. This is 95% because of our insane defense.
Petras made a few good plays but made countless high school-level errors that you wouldn’t expect a quarterback in his 4th year to make. If he shored up all of the little things, then yeah we’d stop complaining
I think what Petras-critics don’t understand and that we so-called Petras-apologists do is that we know Petras hasn’t played great but his improvement overall compared to last year has been obvious. He still has work to do but he hasn’t turned the ball over, his accuracy has been way better compared to last year, and he seems more in control of the offense. You guys keep wanting to make this a Petras only issue ... it’s not. The offense across the board hasn’t played above average. The OL, Goodson, and the Receivers have been just as subpar as Petras has been.

Reactions: mooresville hawk
I thought the play calling was excellent in the 2nd quarter when the offense put the two TD's on the board. After we got the big lead in the 2nd half we were going to be conservative. Seems to be working pretty good. Go Hawks !
Well let's hope it keeps working good against Maryland, Penn State, Northwestern, Wisconsin and possibly Ohio State........

IKM was definitely running with more confidence than Goodson. I too would like to see a Williams with a carry. And an Arland Bruce.
I think that IKM is more of a slasher ... and runs with a bit more power. That's more advantageous when your OL is having issues. It's then more on the RB to get past initial contact. That is admittedly not Goodson's forte.

Our offensive line has to shoulder a big part of the blame for our offensive performances. We don’t see backs getting to second level untouched. The tackles are sieves at times in pass pro. Our offense is predicated on strong o line play. We’re okay, but far from great. We’re not seeing the line move the line of scrimmage and our assumed line advantage has not been there the first two games.

I think what Petras-critics don’t understand and that we so-called Petras-apologists do is that we know Petras hasn’t played great but his improvement overall compared to last year has been obvious. He still has work to do but he hasn’t turned the ball over, his accuracy has been way better compared to last year, and he seems more in control of the offense. You guys keep wanting to make this a Petras only issue ... it’s not. The offense across the board hasn’t played above average. The OL, Goodson, and the Receivers have been just as subpar as Petras has been.
This is an excellent point. And I think it’s reasonable to believe that as the season goes on, they will continue to improve until they’re playing their best ball when it counts the most.

Iowa has beaten two top twenty teams by double digit points and yet we have fans complaining. Some people just have to have something to gripe about I guess. I have read about all of the yards and touchdown’s OSU’s quarterback threw for yesterday, but you know what? They lost, which is the most important thing. I bet you can go to the OSU board and there will be fans that want a new quarterback, but they at least have more reason after losing at home yesterday.

Some of our fans do not seem to realize how Iowa plays football. Kirk does not play a game with a wide open style to try and just outscore the opponent. The offense, defense and special teams work together. Yesterday was a perfect example. Iowa State had poor field position for most of the game as Iowa’s offense did not turn the ball over and special teams repeatedly pinned Iowa State inside the ten yard line to win the field position battle. This allowed Iowa’s defense to play aggressively and get some turnovers, which lead to 20 points for Iowa.

Spencer did not have a perfect game, but it is rare to see a player have a perfect game. The sacks on third down were a problem and need to be fixed. We do need to give the two defenses Iowa has faced some credit as well as both teams have multiple All Americans on their defensive units and are both expected to be top 25 defenses in the country. Spencer has outplayed two senior, highly decorated quarterbacks by playing within the offense and not forcing anything.

Spencer and the offense made enough plays in conjunction with the defense and special teams to win the game. This game was over before the fourth quarter even started. When was the last time this happened during a Cy-Hawk game? At some point, I expect Iowa is going to need Spencer and the offense to make more plays to win the game. I hope this happens. In the meantime, I am going to try and enjoy this season as it looks like Iowa has the potential to do something special.
Have to agree just a wee bit with you. Spencer has done nothing for two weeks and doesn't appear he could led them back if the game was close. But truthfully their offensive line has done him no favors either. Hopefully they get two guys back within two weeks and things will change. I'm sure the coaching staff won"t let any of the other two QB have any playing time. Would hate to see either of them have a good game and then have a QB controversy. The only way we get to see a different QB is by covig or injury and we do not need that...JMO

Reactions: mooresville hawk
Iowa has beaten two top twenty teams by double digit points and yet we have fans complaining. Some people just have to have something to gripe about I guess. I have read about all of the yards and touchdown’s OSU’s quarterback threw for yesterday, but you know what? They lost, which is the most important thing. I bet you can go to the OSU board and there will be fans that want a new quarterback, but they at least have more reason after losing at home yesterday.

Some of our fans do not seem to realize how Iowa plays football. Kirk does not play a game with a wide open style to try and just outscore the opponent. The offense, defense and special teams work together. Yesterday was a perfect example. Iowa State had poor field position for most of the game as Iowa’s offense did not turn the ball over and special teams repeatedly pinned Iowa State inside the ten yard line to win the field position battle. This allowed Iowa’s defense to play aggressively and get some turnovers, which lead to 20 points for Iowa.

Spencer did not have a perfect game, but it is rare to see a player have a perfect game. The sacks on third down were a problem and need to be fixed. We do need to give the two defenses Iowa has faced some credit as well as both teams have multiple All Americans on their defensive units and are both expected to be top 25 defenses in the country. Spencer has outplayed two senior, highly decorated quarterbacks by playing within the offense and not forcing anything.

Spencer and the offense made enough plays in conjunction with the defense and special teams to win the game. This game was over before the fourth quarter even started. When was the last time this happened during a Cy-Hawk game? At some point, I expect Iowa is going to need Spencer and the offense to make more plays to win the game. I hope this happens. In the meantime, I am going to try and enjoy this season as it looks like Iowa has the potential to do something special.
@mooresville hawk - Uhhh NOPE. Ohio State fans are not "demanding a new QB" after CJ Stroud (who's just a freshmen) was named Big 10 Freshmen of the Week for the second week in a row this week. The guy ranks 4th in all of college football in both yards and touchdowns, and actually makes plays with his legs.

Yes, special teams pinned ISU back...because Iowa's offense struggled to move the ball into ISU territory. Taylor doesn't average 51 yards per punt if he's got a good offense because he's not going to have 51 yards of field in front of him to kick to.

The play of Petras did not "allow Iowa's defense to play aggressively." To the contrary, the play of Iowa's defense allowed Petras to play hyper conservatively.

Stroud is a good quarterback, especially for being a freshman, but, he has all the time in the world to throw, he has weapons all over the field, and the two defenses he has played so far have not been that good. OSU's weakness will be that their defensive front 7 are pretty average, not just for OSU standards. For comparison sake, ISU's defensive front 7 is monumentally better than OSU's and I would take Indiana's as well. It will be interesting when OSU plays a team that can pressure the quarterback, while conversely a team that can run the ball and see how they handle a lower scoring game.

SP has been the QB for eight straight wins so I give him some credit because if he played like the Heisman candidate Purdy we wouldn't have all those wins. He did miss seeing Goodson on the goal line, who was open, and instead overthrew LaPorta.
It is very easy for us as fans to say he missed this guy or that guy. It is an entirely different view from field level when you have 6'6 lineman on both sides of the ball in front of you, others who are trying their best to take your head off, all while you have to make a split second decision. Seeing the field from the quarterback's perspective isn't as simple as it seems. Just watch any pick up football game. One One thousand isn't allowed and the QB can't just stand there until the receiver gets open.

Reactions: aurorabimmer
@mooresville hawk - Uhhh NOPE. Ohio State fans are not "demanding a new QB" after CJ Stroud (who's just a freshmen) was named Big 10 Freshmen of the Week for the second week in a row this week. The guy ranks 4th in all of college football in both yards and touchdowns, and actually makes plays with his legs.

Yes, special teams pinned ISU back...because Iowa's offense struggled to move the ball into ISU territory. Taylor doesn't average 51 yards per punt if he's got a good offense because he's not going to have 51 yards of field in front of him to kick to.

The play of Petras did not "allow Iowa's defense to play aggressively." To the contrary, the play of Iowa's defense allowed Petras to play hyper conservatively.

You are not as dialed in as you thought to the Ohio State fanbase as they have called for other quarterbacks to play this year over Stroud. I grew up on the north side of Columbus and know how quickly that fanbase turns on a player or coach.

Also, I did not say Iowa’s offense or Petras allowed the defense to play aggressively. I said that special teams pinning Iowa State deep in their territory allowed the defense to play more aggressively. Petras contributed by not turning the ball over. I do agree and have said that the play of the defense allowed Petras and the offense to play conservatively. Kirk also mentioned this on the postgame show. This is part of the reason why I am less concerned about Petras’ play so far than some on this board.

https://fansided.com/2021/09/02/ohio-state-football-fans-want-quinn-ewers-replace-cj-stroud/amp/

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT