ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Post Game Analysis: Michigan

IowasLaw

All-Conference
Nov 19, 2019
Yuck. Ol' Kirk honored the 2002 Big Ten champs with an underwhelming dud that made us long for the olden days. 20 years ago Brad Banks and crew played electric, innovative, inspired football. They put up 40+ points in most games (62 points against Northwestern). The offense handed to Brian Ferentz, on the other hand, mustered just 7 points this week (until Michigan allowed a mercy TD with a few seconds left on the clock) in a 27-14 lackluster performance.

Has Kirk FINALLY Seen Enough of Petras? After 25 underwhelming starts, we've seen exactly what Petras can do. Like him or not, he's a national laughing stock. Sure, his inaccuracy, happy feet, and lack of mobility are well known. But what about that lack of toughness? I can't remember a QB in my lifetime crumple down and take a sack every time a defender even brushes a pinky across his shoelace. You don't have to be mobile to break a tackle (i.e. Nate Stanley). If Padilla had played today, how many of the sacks would he have taken? Might he have even run for a few first downs? Most QBs do. Meanwhile, Iowa native Max Duggan went 23-33 for 302 yards, 3 tds, and ran for 120 yards (more yards than any Iowa RB all year) against Oklahoma today. Iowa's top in-state QB prospect of the future has already committed to Penn State after Iowa's expert QB coach opted not to offer. These are program changing misses are killers when you're fortunate enough to have an elite defense.

More Lachey. As IowaLaw has said for weeks, Lachey is the best weapon Iowa has on offense. It's time to game plan around utilizing the guy. He caught all 4 of his targets for 84 yards and a TD after finally getting some targets last week. The guy has all-Big 10 potential if he would just get the reps. There's no reason to play guys like Wick or Brecht when you can line up Lachey & LaPorta at the same time.

Colby Would Make a Fine Matador. Assuming Colby doesn't marry a Ferentz, it's safe to say that he has no career in football ahead of him. One skill set he seems to possess is the ability to gracefully dodge charging bulls. Perhaps a move to Spain is in his future? In the meantime, a trip to the transfer portal is a must for the coaching staff.

Kaleb Johnson Can't Catch a Break. How many times have we seen Johnson make a huge play only to see it called back by an unnecessary penalty? The guy's stat line was garbage against Michigan, 12 rushes for 32 yards (2.7 yards) and a TD. But he must have had another 32 yards taken away by foolish penalties. On the bright side, he's now getting more carries than anyone else, as IowaLaw suggested would happen weeks ago. Let's see how he plays as the feature back the rest of the season. I'd like to see him catch some screen passes in space.

DLine Absolutely Man Handled. Michigan RB Corum is having a great year, but he owes a debt of gratitude to his OL. They were men among boys when matched up to what I previously thought was an elite DLine. Van Ness finished with a grand total of 1 tackle (no sacks). Same with Graves. Lee and Waggoner did nothing, picking up 2 tackles.

Jay Higgins Steps Up. Seldom used Higgins stepped in at LB in a major way, racking up 7 tackles and a tackle for loss. He's a junior this year and has just scratched the surface of his potential. With Jacobs out for the rest of the season, it'll be interesting to see how Higgins progresses over the next year and a half.

Last edited:
A 5th year senior airmailed three throws in a row in Michigan territory to kill a drive. Let me repeat that, a 5th year senior. And yes, kf is crazy.
Not to worry, he’ll be a 6th year senior next year when he takes the COVID extra eligibility.

The Refs deserve honorable bad mention, particularly the female one. That call 20 yards behind the play was the worst.
Women are great at telling men they are wrong. This one took it a step further and made something up. She's next level womaning!!!

The Refs deserve honorable bad mention, particularly the female one. That call 20 yards behind the play was the worst.

The refs weren't great, but if the refs see an offensive lineman body slam a DB, it doesn't matter if it occurs behind the play; a flag is going to be thrown.

Reactions: thetruth82
3 TD's and 9 INT's in last 12 games..... it's not all on him, but how can anyone justify this?
My opinion is that the #1 problem is the OL. Petras could easily have that stat line flipped if he had the 2002 OL - Petras isn't *the* problem, he's the limiting factor.

That being said, if the reason his stat-line is so bad (according to my argument) is because of poor blocking, then the *complementary football* side of me says that you sacrifice some arm skills with leg skills. Explain to Petras "it's not you it's them", then put in a mobile QB.

First, to start the year...really, the first three games...this was easily the worst offensive line I've seen in 24 years of KF's tenure. I've just never seen whiffs in the running and the passing game that I have seen this year. The poor fundamentals on the OL was shocking to me.

That being said, these guys have made tremendous progress in five games. Until Colby's meltdown, they weren't getting dominated by the #4 team in the country and we were down 20-7 with a chance inside their 10 to make it a 20-14 game with 6 minutes left. Then the poor calls inside the 5 yard line. You scored on an outside zone earlier...maybe make that 3rd and 2 a two down running territory? We can debate the calls all you want...we were in this game late.

The team is making progress on the OL...whether the fans recognize it or not. Is it going to happen fast enough for us to win at Illinois? Maybe not because I think Illinois defense is really good in the front seven. Probably better than Michigan's to be honest.

We are seriously looking at being 3-4 going into the final 5 games. Here's where I think that goes though...I think we could run the table and be 8-4. I think enough pieces are in place...and if we improve over the next three weeks...although OSU isn't going to be pretty...the bye week is going to help this team and allow them to process the first 6 games. I honestly think this will set up like a 2008 type of year...where we are a salty, salty team by the end of this year.

First, to start the year...really, the first three games...this was easily the worst offensive line I've seen in 24 years of KF's tenure. I've just never seen whiffs in the running and the passing game that I have seen this year. The poor fundamentals on the OL was shocking to me.

That being said, these guys have made tremendous progress in five games. Until Colby's meltdown, they weren't getting dominated by the #4 team in the country and we were down 20-7 with a chance inside their 10 to make it a 20-14 game with 6 minutes left. Then the poor calls inside the 5 yard line. You scored on an outside zone earlier...maybe make that 3rd and 2 a two down running territory? We can debate the calls all you want...we were in this game late.

The team is making progress on the OL...whether the fans recognize it or not. Is it going to happen fast enough for us to win at Illinois? Maybe not because I think Illinois defense is really good in the front seven. Probably better than Michigan's to be honest.

We are seriously looking at being 3-4 going into the final 5 games. Here's where I think that goes though...I think we could run the table and be 8-4. I think enough pieces are in place...and if we improve over the next three weeks...although OSU isn't going to be pretty...the bye week is going to help this team and allow them to process the first 6 games. I honestly think this will set up like a 2008 type of year...where we are a salty, salty team by the end of this year.
Honestly, the way the B10 West looks currently, you could easily sell me from finishing anywhere from 3-3 to 6-0 in division play.

Petras has the least ability to escape or avoid pass rushers of just about any Iowa qb that I can recall. He does the opposite of extend plays; there are at least a few times every game that any decent qb would buy himself critical fractions of seconds with a side step or timely move up in the pocket rather than go down in a heap.

Petras, JC Christiansen, and James Vandenberg.... best QBs at taking sacks at Iowa in past 20 years.

Reactions: Rambler Hawk
Nebbie and Wiscy have tv $ too…. That’s why Gar is just as complacent. Empty seats isn’t about $ it’s about recruiting. Lose the fans then lose recruits and players to portal.

And if the fans keep buying tickets and donating, nothing will change. Ticket sales dropped precipitously after the 2014 season. They preached the "we get it-we are gonna change" sermon, then parlayed a 12-2 season where they beat no one with a pulse into two massive raises, extensions, and the entrenchment of Junior as the heir-apparent.

Reactions: DewHawk
My opinion is that the #1 problem is the OL. Petras could easily have that stat line flipped if he had the 2002 OL - Petras isn't *the* problem, he's the limiting factor.

That being said, if the reason his stat-line is so bad (according to my argument) is because of poor blocking, then the *complementary football* side of me says that you sacrifice some arm skills with leg skills. Explain to Petras "it's not you it's them", then put in a mobile QB.
The OL is a problem, yes, but Petras doesn't hit open receivers when he has time. He also has zero pocket awareness and doesn't have the mobility to avoid tackles if he did. Petras is risk mitigation only and is an extremely substandard QB by virtually every metric. There is absolutely no evidence that Petras "could easily have that stat line flipped", even if the 1995 Dallas Cowboy OL was blocking for him. A well thrown pass should be the rule for any starting D1 QB in a P5 conference, but it is the exception for Petras.

Petras is Jake Christiansen 2.0
The minute either one of them roll out- or drops back there going down whether a defender touches them or just looks at them.

Reactions: Beattheohiostate
I agree it was a call that really didn't need to be made. That said....no reason AT ALL that he should have been in that position to get that flag. The "body slam" did absolutely nothing toward the success of the play. The kid needs to use his head and not risk the flag....especially on a play like that.

I get being negative right now, but there is zero chance of that happening.
I wasn't posting that to be negative purposely. I posted it because I think there is a really high probability he will come back for another year. Why wouldn't he? The guy thinks he has the arm talent and other skills to be an NFL QB. He has to come back and try to earn a draft spot next year. You think he's just going to fold up his tent and call it quits after this year? Doubt it.

I wasn't posting that to be negative purposely. I posted it because I think there is a really high probability he will come back for another year. Why wouldn't he? The guy thinks he has the arm talent and other skills to be an NFL QB. He has to come back and try to earn a draft spot next year. You think he's just going to fold up his tent and call it quits after this year? Doubt it.
There is not a thing he could do that would garner him a position even as a scout member on an NFL team. All you need to do is look at NFL rosters and tell me how many QBs match the profile of Petras.

There is not a thing he could do that would garner him a position even as a scout member on an NFL team. All you need to do is look at NFL rosters and tell me how many QBs match the profile of Petras.
I'm not looking to debate with you. I stand by my opinion that there is a high probability that he will use his 6th year and return next year. You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that.

I'm not looking to debate with you. I stand by my opinion that there is a high probability that he will use his 6th year and return next year. You are entitled to your opinion, and I respect that.
it's been pointed out that in during spring/fall he said this was it for him. He will not be back and I'd be willing to bet large sums of money on it.

I prefer a good pregame bowel movement over waiting and doing so post game. Pro tip for Iowaslaw.

it's been pointed out that in during spring/fall he said this was it for him. He will not be back and I'd be willing to bet large sums of money on it.
I don't bet money....cuz I work too hard for it. It's just a principle thing and it doesn't reflect my lack of confidence in my stated opinion. I'll be happy to track this with you, for fun....and we'll see what happens. Will gladly admit I was wrong and you were right, if that's the case. Have a good day.

And if he does, season ticket sales will absolutely crater. That’s not hyperbole either. They might suffer even if BF stays at OC but they will absolutely crater if SP comes back.

Reactions: Capital1Hawk
We used to call them pancakes….

A pancake isn't a pancake if you are holding your opponent. Or, more precisely, if you get caught.

HomemadePancakeMix_RECIPE_v1_032521_11975_VOG_final.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT