ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Post Game Analysis: Michigan

My opinion is that the #1 problem is the OL. Petras could easily have that stat line flipped if he had the 2002 OL - Petras isn't *the* problem, he's the limiting factor.

That being said, if the reason his stat-line is so bad (according to my argument) is because of poor blocking, then the *complementary football* side of me says that you sacrifice some arm skills with leg skills. Explain to Petras "it's not you it's them", then put in a mobile QB.
Petras could easily have his 3 td 9 int stat line flipped if he had more time? What?? Have you not seen Petras throw when he has all day? Those are the throws where he air mails a wide open receiver. A big percentage of Petras' "no time in the pocket" problem is his lack of awareness and his inability to take 1 step over to avoid a rusher and release the ball on time. The OL must hate the guy for making them look bad on the stat sheet. Even Tristan Wirfs would have given up sacks this year the way Petras walks in slow motion into defenders then crumples at the first sign of contact.

Petras could easily have his 3 td 9 int stat line flipped if he had more time? What?? Have you not seen Petras throw when he has all day? Those are the throws where he air mails a wide open receiver. A big percentage of Petras' "no time in the pocket" problem is his lack of awareness and his inability to take 1 step over to avoid a rusher and release the ball on time. The OL must hate the guy for making them look bad on the stat sheet. Even Tristan Wirfs would have given up sacks this year the way Petras walks in slow motion into defenders then crumples at the first sign of contact.
I mean, 9 TD in 12 games isn't what I'd consider a great showing... but yes. If we had the *2002* offensive line that *averaged* 214 rushing yards per game on an *average* of 42.5 runs per game (for 5 yds/rush), then, yes, I could see him having 6 more TDs over 12 games. Point being that a 9/3 split over 12 is not a good statline. We probably win a few more games over that time too - ISU, Kentucky, and maybe Wisc - even if only because of the ability of the 2002 OL to run block. Remember, I'm talking about probably the best OL ever in Iowa history. Three guys drafted that year (Steinbach and Nelson in the 2nd round, Sobieski in the 5th) and then Dr. Lightfoot and Porter... oh yeah, there was also some 6th offensive lineman... Robert Gallery... he was ok too I guess.

I wasn't posting that to be negative purposely. I posted it because I think there is a really high probability he will come back for another year. Why wouldn't he? The guy thinks he has the arm talent and other skills to be an NFL QB. He has to come back and try to earn a draft spot next year. You think he's just going to fold up his tent and call it quits after this year? Doubt it.
It won't be at Iowa.

Why wouldn't it be at Iowa? He seems to be well established with the coaching staff....and wouldn't that help provide some assurance that he will be the guy?
If he really wants to improve his draft stock ( if he even has a chance to sniff the NFL that is )he won’t let the coaching staff continue to ruin his chances. That’s why ?

The guy thinks he has the arm talent and other skills to be an NFL QB. He has to come back and try to earn a draft spot next year.
Spencer Petras might be a bad QB, but he's not an idiot.

There's zero chance he believes he can get to the NFL at this point in his career.

ADVERTISEMENT