ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Unpopular (but True) Predictions for 2022

IowasLaw

HR All-State
Nov 19, 2019
2021 is in the books. By all accounts, it was a highly successful year for Hawkeye sports. As of this summer, Iowa climbed as high as 13th in the Director's Cup, which rates athletics programs across the board, thanks in part to conference championships in soccer, gymnastics, wrestling, field hockey and track, and above average football and basketball teams.

So as we turn the page to 2022, Iowa's most objective sports prognosticator, IowaLaw, has a few predictions for the year ahead:

QB Play Will Regress - Having a 3rd year starter returning at QB is a huge advantage, right? Usually. At Iowa, the well known "QB Regression" theory has already been argued ad nauseum. Whether you subscribe to it or not, statistically Petras regressed pretty badly. Kirk anointed him permanent starter in 2020. Spencer struggled and ranked 89th nationally in QB efficiency. He threw 9 tds and 5 ints and couldn't make plays with his feet. Pro football focus tabbed Petras the lowest rated returning starter in college football in 2021. Ferentz decided to stick with him rather than going to the portal. As a result, Spencer finished his second year as starter ranking 98th in QB efficiency. He threw 10 tds and 9 interceptions and again couldn't make plays with his feet. A non-Iowa fan would naturally assume 2022 will require an "open QB competition," right? That would require two things: (i) genuinely taking a look at one of the dozens of QBs in the portal; and (ii) giving real reps to underclassmen. Neither will happen. Barring injury, Petras is Iowa's starter in 2022.

The McCaffery Boys Will Continue Playing Over More Talented Teammates - There's nothing more frustrating to Hawk fans than watching Fran sit guys like Joe Toussaint (52% from the field and 40% from 3, and can defend) late in close games while playing Connor McCaffery (23% from the field and 21% from 3, and the slowest guy on the team) in clutch minutes. What's worse is that his brother Patrick leads the nation in 3 categories: (i) out of control, off-balanced layups attempted; (ii) out of control, off-balanced layups missed; and (iii) points given up on defense after attempting an out of control, off-balanced layup. He still plays ahead of Kris Murray each night, including following Murray's 29 point performance. Murray, Perkins, & Ulis will continue to have limited minutes regardless of their play.

Penn State Will Take Back Wrestling Crown - Hawkeye wrestling has seen a renaissance over the past two years, reclaiming wrestling's #1 ranking and winning national titles. They've done so by recruiting studs from Pennsylvania and transfers and by taking advantage of lax redshirt rules to have an entire roster filled with 5th and 6th year guys. Out-of-state recruiting has stalled and once the 6th year superstars exit, look for Penn State, with its wealth of in-state talent, to reclaim the top of the wrestling world for years to come.

Joey Labas Will Not Throw a Pass at Iowa - Despite the media's recent push to prop up Labas as cause for optimism & to deflect from criticism of Iowa's offense, the fact remains that the guy was 4th string behind one of the worst QBs in the Ferentz era, and Ferentz openly mocked the 3rd string guy at the end of the season. It would be impossible for Labas to somehow pass up two "experienced starters" in 2022, regardless of his skill level. That's a given at Iowa. But looking ahead to 2023, assuming Alex Padilla waits around for a 5th year (apparently his preferred transfer destinations recommended that he stay put), Joey will still be left holding a clip board until 2024. In this day and age, no one sticks around that long if they think they can play elsewhere. Bring on the next scout team legend.

Iowa Women's Basketball Will Remain Boring - It's politically correct to express fake interest in women's basketball now that Iowa has a nationally ranked program with a women's superstar. It's expected to nod your head when the adoring local media (and even some NBA player tweets) say "Caitlin Clark is a top NIL draw, and a transcendental player, regardless of gender." While I'm a firm believer that Clark can score a ton of points (she leads the nation at 26 points per game), I have to ask how many "fans" actually watch her play? I've seen parts of 2 or 3 recent games, and each time I was blown away by the number of bricks the best player in women's basketball puts up (Clark has taken 119 3s and made just 27 of them, which is a Connor McCaffery-esque 22%). Most of her points are scored from the free throw line, which doesn't make for exciting bball. In terms of attendance, 6,000 fans are attending Iowa women's games. I suppose that's good for women's basketball, but when you are talking NIL, isn't it all about advertising? Typically the more visibility leads to higher marketability and people aren't watching these games.

Brian Ferentz Will Receive a Substantial Raise - It's no secret that Iowa ranked 123rd this year in total offense and that teams with far better offenses fired their offensive coordinators after the season. I'm not going to pile on by saying the guy should be fired. But what most won't hear about is that Kirk will give him an automatic pay raise in the offseason exceeding the average household income in the state of Iowa...for his performance. Those who say life's not fair don't coach for their dad.

That is one spot on commentary from IowaLaw. I've written virtually the same things multiple times. Those who wish to laugh at us, go right ahead. Just remember folks like you laughed at those who said the world was round, who said the sun was the center of the solar system, who said doctors know more about viruses than politicians do. You may not like the truth, but your dislike doesn't make the truth any less true, and IowaLaw--like me and some others--has told the truth.

st,small,507x507-pad,600x600,f8f8f8.jpg

2021 is in the books. By all accounts, it was a highly successful year for Hawkeye sports. As of this summer, Iowa climbed as high as 13th in the Director's Cup, which rates athletics programs across the board, thanks in part to conference championships in soccer, gymnastics, wrestling, field hockey and track, and above average football and basketball teams.

So as we turn the page to 2022, Iowa's most objective sports prognosticator, IowaLaw, has a few predictions for the year ahead:

QB Play Will Regress - Having a 3rd year starter returning at QB is a huge advantage, right? Usually. At Iowa, the well known "QB Regression" theory has already been argued ad nauseum. Whether you subscribe to it or not, statistically Petras regressed pretty badly. Kirk anointed him permanent starter in 2020. Spencer struggled and ranked 89th nationally in QB efficiency. He threw 9 tds and 5 ints and couldn't make plays with his feet. Pro football focus tabbed Petras the lowest rated returning starter in college football in 2021. Ferentz decided to stick with him rather than going to the portal. As a result, Spencer finished his second year as starter ranking 98th in QB efficiency. He threw 10 tds and 9 interceptions and again couldn't make plays with his feet. A non-Iowa fan would naturally assume 2022 will require an "open QB competition," right? That would require two things: (i) genuinely taking a look at one of the dozens of QBs in the portal; and (ii) giving real reps to underclassmen. Neither will happen. Barring injury, Petras is Iowa's starter in 2022.

The McCaffery Boys Will Continue Playing Over More Talented Teammates - There's nothing more frustrating to Hawk fans than watching Fran sit guys like Joe Toussaint (52% from the field and 40% from 3, and can defend) late in close games while playing Connor McCaffery (23% from the field and 21% from 3, and the slowest guy on the team) in clutch minutes. What's worse is that his brother Patrick leads the nation in 3 categories: (i) out of control, off-balanced layups attempted; (ii) out of control, off-balanced layups missed; and (iii) points given up on defense after attempting an out of control, off-balanced layup. He still plays ahead of Kris Murray each night, including following Murray's 29 point performance. Murray, Perkins, & Ulis will continue to have limited minutes regardless of their play.

Penn State Will Take Back Wrestling Crown - Hawkeye wrestling has seen a renaissance over the past two years, reclaiming wrestling's #1 ranking and winning national titles. They've done so by recruiting studs from Pennsylvania and transfers and by taking advantage of lax redshirt rules to have an entire roster filled with 5th and 6th year guys. Out-of-state recruiting has stalled and once the 6th year superstars exit, look for Penn State, with its wealth of in-state talent, to reclaim the top of the wrestling world for years to come.

Joey Labas Will Not Throw a Pass at Iowa - Despite the media's recent push to prop up Labas as cause for optimism & to deflect from criticism of Iowa's offense, the fact remains that the guy was 4th string behind one of the worst QBs in the Ferentz era, and Ferentz openly mocked the 3rd string guy at the end of the season. It would be impossible for Labas to somehow pass up two "experienced starters" in 2022, regardless of his skill level. That's a given at Iowa. But looking ahead to 2023, assuming Alex Padilla waits around for a 5th year (apparently his preferred transfer destinations recommended that he stay put), Joey will still be left holding a clip board until 2024. In this day and age, no one sticks around that long if they think they can play elsewhere. Bring on the next scout team legend.

Iowa Women's Basketball Will Remain Boring - It's politically correct to express fake interest in women's basketball now that Iowa has a nationally ranked program with a women's superstar. It's expected to nod your head when the adoring local media (and even some NBA player tweets) say "Caitlin Clark is a top NIL draw, and a transcendental player, regardless of gender." While I'm a firm believer that Clark can score a ton of points (she leads the nation at 26 points per game), I have to ask how many "fans" actually watch her play? I've seen parts of 2 or 3 recent games, and each time I was blown away by the number of bricks the best player in women's basketball puts up (Clark has taken 119 3s and made just 27 of them, which is a Connor McCaffery-esque 22%). Most of her points are scored from the free throw line, which doesn't make for exciting bball. In terms of attendance, 6,000 fans are attending Iowa women's games. I suppose that's good for women's basketball, but when you are talking NIL, isn't it all about advertising? Typically the more visibility leads to higher marketability and people aren't watching these games.

Brian Ferentz Will Receive a Substantial Raise - It's no secret that Iowa ranked 123rd this year in total offense and that teams with far better offenses fired their offensive coordinators after the season. I'm not going to pile on by saying the guy should be fired. But what most won't hear about is that Kirk will give him an automatic pay raise in the offseason exceeding the average household income in the state of Iowa...for his performance. Those who say life's not fair don't coach for their dad.
Have you considered talking to your doctor about Prozac?

That is one spot on commentary from IowaLaw. I've written virtually the same things multiple times. Those who wish to laugh at us, go right ahead. Just remember folks like you laughed at those who said the world was round, who said the sun was the center of the solar system, who said doctors know more about viruses than politicians do. You may not like the truth, but your dislike doesn't make the truth any less true, and IowaLaw--like me and some others--has told the truth.
10 wins and a big 10 west division championship. Take a long walk off a short pier clone fan.

Women's BB doesn't have the following that the men's game has but viewership has been growing steadily since 2019. Iowa's Sweet 16 game last year vs UCONN was widely watched with viewership more than double sweet sixteen games from the previous tournament (up 129%). With the addition of Clark, Iowa has gotten more TV coverage than in past years. 8 of Iowa's upcoming games will be televised and 2 others (IL and Michigan) are still TBD. (Michigan will be televised for sure probably FS1. IL is beyond bad so I would assume BTN plus only).

Clark also has a huge social media following and she does nationally televised interviews several times a year. She has several NIL deals, including a pretty large one with Hy-Vee. She also turned down several others because to her it's about the product and the message and not about the $$$.

Her shot might not be falling at the moment, but she has three triple doubles this season already leading college BB and has averaged 30 points a game over the winning streak despite not shooting well from long range.

And Iowa as a team, despite not shooting well, has improved in almost every other statistical category. Maybe you don't like WBB but yesterday's game against Nebraska was electrifying and Clark was dynamic despite not shooting well from distance. Iowa clawed their way back from a 16 point deficit and won by 10 against a team that was lighting it up from 3 in the first quarter.

We’ll see. Kirk has shown a willingness to change quarterbacks in the past. Look, it’s easy from our vantage point to say Joey Labas needs to start, and I sincerely hope he separates himself from Padilla and Petras enough this spring and summer. If he does, yeah, I think Kirk will go with Labas.

The other thing I’ll say about the quarterback situation is I really believe the majority of Petras’s problem is mental. I don’t know that he will or won’t overcome it, but I don’t think the ability is lacking. And, with better OL play and a hopefully improved running game, whoever does start at quarterback next fall should be in better position to be more successful.

My prediction- he will be married and divorced several times. Pray his kids are nerds not athletic

Galileo. Copernicus. FWIW4922463.

Truly, titans of our civilization.

Lmfao, I can't even type that with a straight face

Good god man. I do wish to laugh at you, and I started to, but then realized you might be serious. So I think I will just go back to work trying to make the truth less true.

Reactions: Bishop1971

He's right, mostly.

I think KF will make the QB change, but it won't happen until Fall camp.

BF will defnintely get a raise---inflation + college football coaching salaries are out of control at the expense of the young men like Tyler Sash and Greenwood.

Women's basketball discussions---belong on a women's sport forum. IF they don't exist, then what does that mean?

Reactions: BBHawk
QB Play -It's Iowa - What do you expect?

McCaffery Boys Minutes - Agreed. Take a look at Pat's stat line after any game. He'll occasionally get a few boards - may score 10 pts once in a while, but overall PM puts out a lot of 0's. Connor's game is well documented here on HR, but for as many minutes as PM gets he doesn't produce much.

Penn State - Possibly - Iowa is loaded w/ 5th-6th year guys.....Of course, they may get Spencer Lee back for his 7th?(lol) year...

Labas - True and can't blame him.

WBB - Clark had 30 points Sunday. Why is that? Oh, she took 22 shots. Disagree here that the games are not exciting. There is an audience for it. Mostly families and retirees who make some noise. Carver isn't dead because of the layout, the placement of the students, or the tip off time and t he women (and wrestling) prove that.

BF Raise - It's Iowa - What do you expect? Tacking on to this prediction KF/Gary Barta jointly accept the "Champions of Diversity and Inclusion Award" given by the Staff and voted on by the players.

Solid post overall - did i miss the post-season Football summary/grading post?

Caitlin Clark is fantastic. I've watched every single game she has played at Iowa and I love watching her play. Agree we have a problem at QB. Would like to see Kris Murray play more minutes.

Reactions: icsedge1
How much does everyone want to bet that he’s wrong on all these takes?
Name it. I'm in. The McCafferys playing over more talented teammates and Brian getting a raise are just reality and would win that bet easily. I hope he's wrong about the QB's but with a shit offensive "brain trust" of KF, Brian and KOK I expect nothing. Wrestling is gonna be really close and I don't care about wbb.

A grand?

The above referenced fart noises.

We’ll see. Kirk has shown a willingness to change quarterbacks in the past. Look, it’s easy from our vantage point to say Joey Labas needs to start, and I sincerely hope he separates himself from Padilla and Petras enough this spring and summer. If he does, yeah, I think Kirk will go with Labas.

The other thing I’ll say about the quarterback situation is I really believe the majority of Petras’s problem is mental. I don’t know that he will or won’t overcome it, but I don’t think the ability is lacking. And, with better OL play and a hopefully improved running game, whoever does start at quarterback next fall should be in better position to be more successful.
Agreed. To me, the biggest problem Spencer has is his lack of pocket presence. Relative immobility doesn’t have to be a killer, but you have to have pocket presence to compensate. Unfortunately, he hasnt shown much sign of that to date and idk if that’s something that can be developed.

I think the quarterback will be either Padilla or Labas next year. at the very least, I just can’t imagine Padilla comes back for at least the spring if Kirk hasn’t told him and Spencer there’s a wide-open quarterback competition. I fully expect to lose one after spring ball.

as for hoops, you can sell me on more Kris minutes over Connor, but I’m mostly fine with what Patrick gets. And then the women? Caitlyn just had a triple-double, I believe she’s already been the b10 player of the week five times this season…but sure, she is overrated. It has been an odd season for the ladies, they’ve twice had extended breaks due to Covid cancellations by other programs, so they’ve had some struggles stringing things together.

You missed one, Iowa will beat isu once again and clown fans will reply that due to the refs or some other wild set of excuses it doesn’t really count. Meanwhile they will claim Iowa Football is boring just as isu is winning basketball games in the 1940’s style to the tune of 51-47.

I will also go so far as to predict we will continually see clown fans prove that they have an adversarial relationship with reality through their posts here, on the clown report and cryclown fanatic.

Last edited:
Hey look...IowaSlaw has two user names! What a load of horsecrap.

I was almost able to read each of the headlines in your post. That's progress for me. Usually I stop reading after your first take.

You're either lovers or the same person. So...which is it?

I really hope Labas gets a fair shot at PT. A mobile QB is a great asset.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT