ADVERTISEMENT

IowaLaw's Unpopular (but True) Predictions for 2022

We played Michigan both years and their pass rush was far better last year and we still gave up 3 less sacks.

And again, have played two less games so far, and will play one less overall. This OL is really green. Fortunately, if history is any indicator, the 2007 group ended up being very good down the road, especially the very next year.
I hope it's a lot better, but as we've seen, hope is not a strategy for success. They need a few good tackles from the portal or the oline is going to struggle again. Even then substantial improvements from the rest, particularly at center are critical to oline success next year.

No. I'm not inclined to read all of your comments to others.
You quoted the post in question, so I assumed you read it ... don't blame me for your poor reading comprehension.

You also said: " I don't think that anyone who watched Spencer this year could argue with a straight face that he improved ..."

The thing is, Law said SP would regress ... You said SP didn't improve ... again, back to reading comprehension, the bar is that SP had to regress which he didn't (his OL was worse, maybe not by much, but it was, and his WRs were basically worse (since most were injured for a spell (Ragaini, Brecht, Vines), quite playing (Johnson) or transferred (Jones)).

Enjoy the rest of the year and Happy new year. Don't let Law put silly thoughts in your head ;-), Go Hawks!

You quoted the post in question, so I assumed you read it ... don't blame me for your poor reading comprehension.

You also said: " I don't think that anyone who watched Spencer this year could argue with a straight face that he improved ..."

The thing is, Law said SP would regress ... You said SP didn't improve ... again, back to reading comprehension, the bar is that SP had to regress which he didn't (his OL was worse, maybe not by much, but it was, and his WRs were basically worse (since most were injured for a spell (Ragaini, Brecht, Vines), quite playing (Johnson) or transferred (Jones)).

Enjoy the rest of the year and Happy new year. Don't let Law put silly thoughts in your head ;-), Go Hawks!
Every metric says he regressed and I was a supporter of him. I'll trust the numbers over anyone's feelings. Happy Holidays to you as well.

Reactions: j0nnyhb_Prime
No. I'm not inclined to read all of your comments to others. It's painful enough to read your comments directed towards me which failed to mention it. Completion percentage, YPA, TD/INT ratio, passer rating, QBR, all worse than the previous year. All of that would support the regression argument. Oline play certainly factored in, along with below average receivers. Oline was also bad the previous season so I'm not sure that's an argument that flies. Let's pretend for a moment that none of this statistical evidence exists. I don't think that anyone who watched Spencer this year could argue with a straight face that he improved which is unfortunate because I really did have higher hopes until he started airmailing open receivers in the first 20 minutes of the season. He is what he is. A good guy that never improved in his Iowa career.
The OP predicted regression, but then based it strictly on stats. As we all know, stats don't tell the whole story. In this particular case, the OL and WR core decreased in quality over Petras's three seasons as starter and the rushing offense also became less productive. Because of these variables, a decrease in stats by itself can't tell us whether Petras regressed, improved, or stayed about the same. If I had to choose among the three options, I'd be inclined to choose the latter, although his footwork on roll outs actually looked better.

By way of comparison, consider Josh Allen. His production dropped off considerably in 2017 after a stellar 2016 season. Did he regress as a QB? Or was it due to losing his primary offensive weapons?

Never said it was a hot take. Try not to project yourself on to others....it's a horrible look.
NaturalDiscreteGnatcatcher-max-1mb.gif

Btw, don't pander to or support Iowaslaw's posts.......it's a horrible look.

Hope that helps in the future! :D

Women's basketball is far from boring. Maybe you go to a game before you make stupid predictions. moron.

Womens ncaa champions ship game got 4.8 milion viewers, so around 300 million americans found the women's game boring or at least not worth watching. Certainly 4.8 million is a sizeable audience, but far from a majority.

Womens ncaa champions ship game got 4.8 milion viewers, so around 300 million americans found the women's game boring or at least not worth watching. Certainly 4.8 million is a sizeable audience, but far from a majority.
If some of these 300 million people would actually sit down and watch a game, they would find it not boring. It's a stereotype that's spread by people like Iowalaw.

People don't like watching UConn win all the time. Boredom has nothing to do with that.....

Audience size and boredom are different things. Super Bowls will get 10-20 times the audience of the NCAA women's championship game, and yet most of those games are considered boring. People watch for different reasons than the game itself. I know people who go to the Super Bowl site every year but never attend the game. They find the social events enjoyable but not the game.

Plus, no sporting event draws the majority of Americans. By that standard, all sports would be considered boring.

Whether something is boring or interesting is subjective. Slaw's prediction is no doubt accurate for him, but the Iowa women get a lot of interest from others. Caitlin Clark has a large national following.

Literally no one takes interest in your stuff. You getting mad and leaving HN was the best thing that ever happened to that board.
@WxNWHawk - congrats for perhaps the dumbest take ever on this board. What kind of buffoon responds to a post with 15,000 views and 4 pages of replies, including your own, to say..."no one takes interest in your stuff." lol That's like filling your face with an entire large pizza in a crowded restaurant, then when you're done, loudly yelling to the store owner yuck, no one likes your your food (as you belch).

Do yourself a favor and go back to stocking shelves. No one asked you to read anything on this board, you contribute nothing of substance, so buh bye.

Last edited:
@WxNWHawk - congrats for perhaps the dumbest take ever on this board. What kind of buffoon responds to a post with 15,000 views and 4 pages of replies, including your own, to say..."no one takes interest in your stuff." lol That's like filling your face with an entire large pizza in a crowded restaurant, then when you're done, loudly yelling to the store owner yuck, no one likes your your food.

Do yourself a favor and go back to stocking shelves. No one asked you to read anything on this board, you contribute nothing of substance, so buh bye.
See what I mean? You get all bunched up in the panties and defensive, kinda like you know it’s true. You want an award for “15,000 views?” LOL. It’s not our fault you waste three hours on really dumb, two thousand word posts.

2021 is in the books. By all accounts, it was a highly successful year for Hawkeye sports. As of this summer, Iowa climbed as high as 13th in the Director's Cup, which rates athletics programs across the board, thanks in part to conference championships in soccer, gymnastics, wrestling, field hockey and track, and above average football and basketball teams.

So as we turn the page to 2022, Iowa's most objective sports prognosticator, IowaLaw, has a few predictions for the year ahead:

QB Play Will Regress - Having a 3rd year starter returning at QB is a huge advantage, right? Usually. At Iowa, the well known "QB Regression" theory has already been argued ad nauseum. Whether you subscribe to it or not, statistically Petras regressed pretty badly. Kirk anointed him permanent starter in 2020. Spencer struggled and ranked 89th nationally in QB efficiency. He threw 9 tds and 5 ints and couldn't make plays with his feet. Pro football focus tabbed Petras the lowest rated returning starter in college football in 2021. Ferentz decided to stick with him rather than going to the portal. As a result, Spencer finished his second year as starter ranking 98th in QB efficiency. He threw 10 tds and 9 interceptions and again couldn't make plays with his feet. A non-Iowa fan would naturally assume 2022 will require an "open QB competition," right? That would require two things: (i) genuinely taking a look at one of the dozens of QBs in the portal; and (ii) giving real reps to underclassmen. Neither will happen. Barring injury, Petras is Iowa's starter in 2022.

The McCaffery Boys Will Continue Playing Over More Talented Teammates - There's nothing more frustrating to Hawk fans than watching Fran sit guys like Joe Toussaint (52% from the field and 40% from 3, and can defend) late in close games while playing Connor McCaffery (23% from the field and 21% from 3, and the slowest guy on the team) in clutch minutes. What's worse is that his brother Patrick leads the nation in 3 categories: (i) out of control, off-balanced layups attempted; (ii) out of control, off-balanced layups missed; and (iii) points given up on defense after attempting an out of control, off-balanced layup. He still plays ahead of Kris Murray each night, including following Murray's 29 point performance. Murray, Perkins, & Ulis will continue to have limited minutes regardless of their play.

Penn State Will Take Back Wrestling Crown - Hawkeye wrestling has seen a renaissance over the past two years, reclaiming wrestling's #1 ranking and winning national titles. They've done so by recruiting studs from Pennsylvania and transfers and by taking advantage of lax redshirt rules to have an entire roster filled with 5th and 6th year guys. Out-of-state recruiting has stalled and once the 6th year superstars exit, look for Penn State, with its wealth of in-state talent, to reclaim the top of the wrestling world for years to come.

Joey Labas Will Not Throw a Pass at Iowa - Despite the media's recent push to prop up Labas as cause for optimism & to deflect from criticism of Iowa's offense, the fact remains that the guy was 4th string behind one of the worst QBs in the Ferentz era, and Ferentz openly mocked the 3rd string guy at the end of the season. It would be impossible for Labas to somehow pass up two "experienced starters" in 2022, regardless of his skill level. That's a given at Iowa. But looking ahead to 2023, assuming Alex Padilla waits around for a 5th year (apparently his preferred transfer destinations recommended that he stay put), Joey will still be left holding a clip board until 2024. In this day and age, no one sticks around that long if they think they can play elsewhere. Bring on the next scout team legend.

Iowa Women's Basketball Will Remain Boring - It's politically correct to express fake interest in women's basketball now that Iowa has a nationally ranked program with a women's superstar. It's expected to nod your head when the adoring local media (and even some NBA player tweets) say "Caitlin Clark is a top NIL draw, and a transcendental player, regardless of gender." While I'm a firm believer that Clark can score a ton of points (she leads the nation at 26 points per game), I have to ask how many "fans" actually watch her play? I've seen parts of 2 or 3 recent games, and each time I was blown away by the number of bricks the best player in women's basketball puts up (Clark has taken 119 3s and made just 27 of them, which is a Connor McCaffery-esque 22%). Most of her points are scored from the free throw line, which doesn't make for exciting bball. In terms of attendance, 6,000 fans are attending Iowa women's games. I suppose that's good for women's basketball, but when you are talking NIL, isn't it all about advertising? Typically the more visibility leads to higher marketability and people aren't watching these games.

Brian Ferentz Will Receive a Substantial Raise - It's no secret that Iowa ranked 123rd this year in total offense and that teams with far better offenses fired their offensive coordinators after the season. I'm not going to pile on by saying the guy should be fired. But what most won't hear about is that Kirk will give him an automatic pay raise in the offseason exceeding the average household income in the state of Iowa...for his performance. Those who say life's not fair don't coach for their dad.
Sadly, your first prediction incontrovertibly came true.

@WxNWHawk - congrats for perhaps the dumbest take ever on this board. What kind of buffoon responds to a post with 15,000 views and 4 pages of replies, including your own, to say..."no one takes interest in your stuff." lol That's like filling your face with an entire large pizza in a crowded restaurant, then when you're done, loudly yelling to the store owner yuck, no one likes your your food.

Beginning his post with "literally" was a bit of a tell.

Reactions: DJ_Kool_Herk
Ok Ok, hold your horses. To those in IowaLaw's DMs seeking this year's Nostradamus-like predictions, with a 99% accuracy rate, they are forthcoming.
Since you're so accurate, maybe you should predict Iowa to win a championship so they can finally win a f***ing championship...................amirite? ;)

Reactions: artradley
Many are asking, "when will IowaLaw, also known as Lawstradomis, put together his predictions for 2023?" After all, it was uncanny how spot on he was in his 2022 prognostication and has been known to pick up on the subtle rifts in the Hawkeye universe.
I rarely resort to name-calling ... but I cannot help it on this one.

It's more like ... Lawstra-dumbass. That is all ...

Your 15,000 views are only because we all enjoy watching a train wreck.

He was mostly correct about Labas. He ONLY threw passes because all other options were gone and that was post season only. The girls BB is improved in appeal this year; however, not overly exciting. I watch them half the time when nothing else is on. PSU won, Baffled Brian got his raise, and Patrick started until his leave. Conner has been worthy even though he was horrible last night. SP definitely regressed.

He was mostly correct about Labas. He ONLY threw passes because all other options were gone and that was post season only. The girls BB is improved in appeal this year; however, not overly exciting. I watch them half the time when nothing else is on. PSU won, Baffled Brian got his raise, and Patrick started until his leave. Conner has been worthy even though he was horrible last night. SP definitely regressed.
If only game day visiting and schools seeing big bumps in attendance when they go on the road qualified as ‘not overly exciting’
😳

He was mostly correct about Labas. (Nah...he said never. Thats pretty clear cut right there) e ONLY threw passes because all other options were gone and that was post season only. (Excuses are unnecessary at this point...... ;)) The girls BB is improved in appeal this year; however, not overly exciting. (Again, you have to take your personal attitude towards women's sports and set that aside......also most people don't care if women's CBB excites any one person individually or not........that's a nice way of saying just because you don't like something or don't find it exciting.........doesn't mean it's not exciting or appealing. But yes let Iowaslaw push his subjectivity lol......) I watch them half the time when nothing else is on. (Would you watch them at all if they weren't good?) PSU won (F*** Penn State.......and Wisconsin), Baffled Brian got his raise (And now he doesn't.......:)), and Patrick started until his leave. (And nobody wants to see him play....however, in all honesty, this has more to do with Fran for the fact that he has NOBODY reliable to come off the bench for Patrick. Great, play Bowen more and he can do the same thing Patrick and Connor do, except flashier because he can handle the ball......fart noises. Great, play Dix more and maybe he decides not to poop his pants being an undersized guard playing in the B10 and make a 3 here or there......which he isn't doing right now. On the plus side, Dix isn't the worst defender on the team, so hes got that going for him.) Conner has been worthy even though he was horrible last night. SP definitely regressed. (And everyone saw that coming)

Subconscious biases, everyone has them and they are okay. It is how we deal with them and the behaviors that they elicit that matters. ;)

I forget who it was awhile back that tried to argue he didn’t have any subconscious biases…that was a fascinating thread.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT