ADVERTISEMENT

Iowans are sharply divided on banning transgender girls from female sports, Iowa Poll finds

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001

Iowans are sharply divided on banning transgender girls from female sports, Iowa Poll finds​

Ian Richardson
Des Moines Register

© Copyright 2022, Des Moines Register and Tribune Co.
Iowans’ opinions are split nearly evenly on a new state law that bans transgender girls and women from competing in female sports offered by Iowa’s schools, colleges and universities.
Forty-six percent of Iowans favor the law, while 45% oppose it, according to the Des Moines Register/Mediacom Iowa Poll. Another 9% say they are not sure.
The new survey illustrates the polarizing nature of the legislation, which Gov. Kim Reynolds, a Republican, signed into law Thursday. Poll respondents are sharply divided along party lines. The poll also shows splits by gender, age and parental status.
Politics in your inbox:Get our free, daily politics newsletter by signing up here
But four in five likely voters who plan to support Reynolds in the fall support the new law, the poll found — showing the issue has strong appeal among Reynolds’ base as she prepares to launch a reelection campaign.
Iowa’s new law would require school-sponsored athletic events to be designated as a men's, women's or coeducational sport. Athletes competing in women's sports need to have female listed as the sex on their birth certificate. There is not a similar prohibition for men's sports in the bill.
The law took effect immediately, making Iowa the 11th state, all Republican-led, to enact some form of restriction on the ability of transgender women and girls to participate in sports. Legal experts expect Iowa’s law to face a court challenge, just as laws have in some other states.
Selzer and Co. conducted the poll of 813 Iowans Feb. 28 through March 2. Polling ended the day the Iowa Senate passed the legislation, and Reynolds signed it into law the following afternoon. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 3.4 percentage points; it’s plus or minus 4 percentage points for questions asked of 612 likely voters in the 2022 general election.

More:Kim Reynolds has signed a transgender athlete law. Will it end up in court?
Republicans widely favor new law; most Democrats disapprove
Votes on the law in the Iowa Legislature split along party lines, with only one Republican — Rep. Michael Bergan, R-Dorchester — joining Democrats in opposition.
Republicans have said the law addresses a fairness issue because they believe transgender girls could hold athletic advantages. But Democrats and LGBTQ advocacy groups have condemned the new law, saying it discriminates against transgender girls and violates civil rights laws.
The poll found a stark split between Republicans and Democrats statewide. Nearly three-quarters of Republicans favor the law, at 72%, while more than three-fourths of Democrats oppose it, at 77%. Independents are more closely divided but slightly more favor the law by a 48% to 45% margin.
Poll respondent Scott Link, a 44-year-old pest control worker from Des Moines, said he supports the new law because he agrees with other Republicans that transgender girls and women could hold biological athletic advantages.
“You have to look at the fairness of the sports, especially if you’re looking at high school, junior high or anything like that,” said Link, who is a registered Republican.

But Mary Jane Woodman, a 72-year-old retired sales worker from Urbandale, said she sees the law as exclusionary against transgender kids.
“You're eliminating children that are a little bit different from being involved in things that are good for them," said Woodman, a Democrat. "Everybody needs physical activity, so why should those children be excluded from that?"
More:Kim Reynolds bans transgender girls from female sports, signing Republican-backed law

Most women oppose the new law, while most men support it​

The poll shows 52% of women oppose the new law, versus 38% who favor it. But most men — 55% — favor the legislation, versus 39% who oppose it.
The majority of parents with children under 18 approve of the law, by a margin of 54% to 39%.
Poll respondent Jessica Plummer, a 35-year-old community college student from Coralville, said athletic participation rules present a tough decision. But she said she ultimately believes Iowa should allow children to compete as the gender they identify as, “because that’s who they are.”
“Especially when they're that young, they need to be accepted and included — and reinforcing that this is who I am, and this is who you are, and we all accept that,” said Plummer, a Democrat. “I think they're doing the wrong thing by telling those little kids that they can't be who they are and do what they want to do.”
Tisha Junge, a 49-year-old Cedar Rapids resident who works in software development, agrees that the issue is complicated. But she believes the ban helps with fairness.

Iowans were asked: "Here are some specific issues that have been debated in the Iowa Legislature. For each, please tell me if you favor or oppose the initiative."

Ban transgender girls and women from competing in female sports offered by Iowa's schools, colleges and universities​

Among Iowans who have a child under the age of 18 currently in Iowa​

Junge said she agrees with Reynolds’ perspectives on a variety of policies.

“I think she's got a pretty good handle on what we need to kind of pump the brakes on," Junge said.

Middle-age Iowans like Junge are more likely to support the legislation than those in other age groups. The poll found a majority of those under 35 oppose the measure, at 59%. Meanwhile, 59% of Iowans ages 35-54 favor the proposal. Those over age 55 are more closely split, with 45% favoring and 43% opposing.

The issue is particularly popular among likely voters who support reelecting Reynolds. Reynolds has not officially announced her plan to run for a second full term as governor, but she is widely expected to run this year.

Likely voters who support Reynolds favor the legislation 80% to 17%.

The polling supports that the law is a “play to her base,” said pollster J. Ann Selzer, president of Selzer & Co. “If her goal is to get out her base, then this is the kind of thing that they like to see.”

The difficulty on the issue could come if it turns off people Reynolds is trying to attract to the state, Selzer said.

Reynolds signed the law in the midst of a high-profile week that put Iowa and her governorship in the spotlight. On March 1, she signed a major tax cut law and later gave the nationally televised Republican response to President Joe Biden’s State of the Union address. She signed the transgender athletes law two days later.

The March poll also found that Reynolds leads Democratic candidate Deidre DeJear by a 51% to 43% among likely 2022 voters.

My 13 year old daughter(no pics) thinks this whole issue is weird, but says she wouldn't have an issue competing against a trans girl if the situation came up.

We didn't talk about potential locker room scenarios where a teammate of hers has a penis though.

I'm not really sure where I stand on this issue myself and most likely won't ever be in a situation where me and mine are directly involved, tbh.

Last edited:
[1] The poll shows 52% of women oppose the new law, versus 38% who favor it. But most men — 55% — favor the legislation, versus 39% who oppose it.

[2] The majority of parents with children under 18 approve of the law, by a margin of 54% to 39%.
[1] Why the disparity? I would have thought that women - who could imagine themselves competing against a man and thinking that puts them at a disadvantage - would be more likely to favor the law.

[2] I wonder what the children think about it? Again, I can see parents of girls not wanting their kids competing against people with the advantages that guys usually have. But what do the kids themselves think about it?

Here's the thing.... You can be entirely sympathetic and supportive when it comes to whether people get to self-identify as male, female or other options. That's up to them.

But at the same time, you can think that people with the hormonal and muscular advantages of testosterone would be getting an unfair advantage if allowed to cross over into traditional women's sports.

"Everybody needs physical activity, so why should those children be excluded from that?"

This is great and highlights how non-sports people don't understand competitive sports. Nobody is keeping them from PE class or going for a run or playing a pickup game at the Y. Its about competitive sports and the perceived competitive advantage.

[1] Why the disparity? I would have thought that women - who could imagine themselves competing against a man and thinking that puts them at a disadvantage - would be more likely to favor the law.

[2] I wonder what the children think about it? Again, I can see parents of girls not wanting their kids competing against people with the advantages that guys usually have. But what do the kids themselves think about it?

Here's the thing.... You can be entirely sympathetic and supportive when it comes to whether people get to self-identify as male, female or other options. That's up to them.

But at the same time, you can think that people with the hormonal and muscular advantages of testosterone would be getting an unfair advantage if allowed to cross over into traditional women's sports.
Women are generally less intimidated than men by LBGT issues, and are more sympathetic to all people than men are.

I share that stereotype. But they are also often more sensitive to fairness issues.

That's why I tried to draw the distinction between supporting people's identity choices vs fairness in sports.
Women are also much more likely to recognize that youth sports really don't need to be hyper-competitive like they are. Europeans and most others around the globe think it's INSANE that Americans take high school and younger sports as seriously as they do.

We all know dudes that are still way into how their old high school sports teams perform well into their 40s and 50s -- many of them post on this very forum. When you think about it rationally, it is sort of ridiculous that middle aged men give two shits about which teenage teams beat which teenage teams.

I'm hopeful this type of legislation will motivate a younger crowd to vote in larger numbers, and push Iowa politics back to what it once was not too long ago, more progressive, more inclusive.

I took pride in being an early state to legalize gay marriage. Now we're a state that legislates with less inclusion and more slanted toward the slight majority with little sense other than political points.

I'm hopeful this type of legislation will motivate a younger crowd to vote in larger numbers, and push Iowa politics back to what it once was not too long ago, more progressive, more inclusive.

I took pride in being an early state to legalize gay marriage. Now we're a state that legislates with less inclusion and more slanted toward the slight majority with little sense other than political points.
It's got some of them agitated anyway:

Women are also much more likely to recognize that youth sports really don't need to be hyper-competitive like they are. Europeans and most others around the globe think it's INSANE that Americans take high school and younger sports as seriously as they do.

We all know dudes that are still way into how their old high school sports teams perform well into their 40s and 50s -- many of them post on this very forum. When you think about it rationally, it is sort of ridiculous that middle aged men give two shits about which teenage teams beat which teenage teams.

100% - I'll pick inclusion over amateur competition every day of the week. There is a life lesson in this for our kids, about letting people be who they define themselves to be, but apparently half of Iowa would rather chalk up the "w" in a scenario that will very rarely occur.

Reactions: cigaretteman

The year after I graduated, my high school team won the state tournament in basketball (4A Iowa). I went to those games and supported the players as best I could. Those boys were my teammates and I still thought of them that way and had a personal interest in their success due to having competed alongside them just the year prior.

I haven't attended a high school game that didn't involve a friend or family member since then and, while I could see where a sense of school/town pride makes sense at a small town level, I agree with your sentiment in general.

16 year olds will rally around just about anything if it means getting out of school for a few periods
Todays teenagers are very socially conscious and politically active. A small percentage may just be liking to get out of class, but you'd be surprised how engaged they are politically/socially these days. Social media having a great impact on that.

Yes - there's an emotional euphoria when the team you associate with wins, and a real pain when they lose. Men let their emotions dictate their behavior, they want the high of winning.

What about middle aged guys and being way too into college teams? Nobody on here would be like that would they?

What about middle aged guys and being way too into college teams? Nobody on here would be like that would they?
Yeah, most of the world thinks that's insane too.

Look, I'm not saying I'm immune -- my kid played travel and high school sports and I attended most of the games and got into it. It is, however, a very uniquely American cultural phenomenon and it isn't hard to see why many think it's weird and perhaps unhealthy.

But, they don't bat much of an eye about a 12 year old living on-site at a club and getting some very light tutoring that only teaches very basic reading and math skills to get by in everyday life. When these kids at the club academies don't pan out and don't get a pro contract, they pretty much always end up washing dishes or hammering in nails for the rest of their lives. For all the faults of our system, there's literally thousands of guys who've played for the Hawks who've wound up pretty successful professionally despite never getting a sniff of being a pro.

Uhhhhh bro, I can only speak to soccer for this but you get into an academy when you are 8 or 10 if identified in Brazil. School sports maybe but they send their kids to academies to live before puberty in some countries. I could have stayed in Brazil on a shitty contract when I was a kid but I would have had to 1. Live in Brazil. 2. Never be eligible for the NCAA if I wanted because I would have no longer been an amateur.

Uhhhhh bro, I can only speak to soccer for this but you get into an academy when you are 8 or 10 if identified in Brazil. School sports maybe but they send their kids to academies to live before puberty in some countries. I could have stayed in Brazil on a shitty contract when I was a kid but I would have had to 1. Live in Brazil. 2. Never be eligible for the NCAA if I wanted because I would have no longer been an amateur.
Correct. Which is why folks in those countries think it is bizarre that competitive sports are part of regular junior high and high school in the U.S.

But, they don't bat much of an eye about a 12 year old living on-site at a club and getting some very light tutoring that only teaches very basic reading and math skills to get by in everyday life. When these kids at the club academies don't pan out and don't get a pro contract, they pretty much always end up washing dishes or hammering in nails for the rest of their lives. For all the faults of our system, there's literally thousands of guys who've played for the Hawks who've wound up pretty successful professionally despite never getting a sniff of being a pro.
This guy gets it. Sports through schools might be what torbee is discussing but there isn't the bullshit "pay 2k for little dickbag Johnny to be on the traveling team" in foreign countries. If you are an athlete you are an athlete.

Reactions: General Tso
High school soccer is rec soccer. Club is where you make a name.
Can't speak for your experience, but at Pleasant Valley, the varsity team was basically an All-Star team made up of players from several excellent travel teams. But yes, to get noticed by college recruiters, you need to be on a top-level travel club. This is why schools in wealthy suburban areas dominate -- that's where most of the good travel club players live because their parents can afford it.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT