ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Caitlin Clark makes basketball history with second straight 30-point triple-double

hawkaeg80

HR MVP
Dec 28, 2014
Cedar Rapids
Stat stuffing is a favorite hobby of Iowa Hawkeyes guard Caitlin Clark, who leads Division I women's basketball in scoring at 26.2 PPG. But her history-making past two games were pretty ridiculous even for her.

On Thursday, the sophomore became the first player in Division I basketball history, men's or women's, to record back-to-back triple-doubles while scoring 30 or more points in both games. Clark also became the first player in Big Ten women's hoops history to have back-to-back triple-doubles, and she did it on a night when Iowa got its largest margin of victory ever -- 56 points -- against a Big Ten foe.
Clark and the No. 25 Hawkeyes carved up Minnesota 105-49 in Minneapolis, Iowa's third-largest victory margin ever. As one of the best point guards in women's hoops history, Gophers coach and former WNBA star Lindsay Whalen, looked on, Clark went to town.

"Caitlin showed why she is one of the most special players in America," Iowa coach Lisa Bluder said.

She had 35 points on 14-of-21 shooting, 13 rebounds and 11 assists. Her rebounding total tied her career high and she scored or assisted on 60 of Iowa's points.

Clark's point total Thursday ties for the fourth most in Division I women's history for a triple-double. LSU's Cornelia Gayden had 43 points in her 1995 triple-double. Long Beach State's Cindy Brown had 37 in 1987, as did Alabama's Daisha Simmons in 2013. Rider's Stella Johnson tied Clark with 35 points in 2018.

In Sunday's 93-83 victory over Nebraska, Clark had 31 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists. The 6-footer from West Des Moines, Iowa, now has five career triple-doubles, with four of them coming this season. Clark is the seventh player in Division I women's history to have at least four triple-doubles in a season.

Clark has been struggling with her 3-point shooting this season (24.8 %), but that wasn't the case in Thursday's game, as she went 4-of-6 from long distance, and the Hawkeyes as a team were 9-of-17 (52.9%). They shot 58.8% overall from the field and had a 37-point third quarter.

"We have been telling this team, as soon as we find our 3-point shot, we will be dangerous," Bluder said. "We showed that tonight."

Along with leading the nation in scoring, Clark is also averaging 7.6 assists, second in the nation, and 8.5 rebounds. The Hawkeyes are now 11-4 overall and 5-1 in the Big Ten. And the Iowa native Clark was feeling very good Thursday.

"I couldn't imagine being anyplace else or playing for any other coach," Clark said. "I love her to death, and I hope we can bring her a lot more wins."

good thing we have here 2 more years! time will fly, though.
Don't forget she could opt for a 5th year if she wanted to. I would think Iowa would have to a legit shot at an outright BTT Title and FInal Four for her to return. She will likely be a high first round WNBA pick after her senior. But if we had a team to make a run I could see her choose to come back.

Reactions: Franisdaman
Don't forget she could opt for a 5th year if she wanted to. I would think Iowa would have to a legit shot at an outright BTT Title and FInal Four for her to return. She will likely be a high first round WNBA pick after her senior. But if we had a team to make a run I could see her choose to come back.

Do you think Monica comes back next year? if so, next year could be really special, too.

Do you think Monica comes back next year? if so, next year could be really special, too.
She said she is considering it. I think it depends on if she wants to pursue a graduate degree and if Iowa has the program she's looking for.

She's not likely a WNBA prospect due to her size and lack of deep range. She could likely make a team in Europe and keep playing if she wants to continue playing basketball.

Another year isn't going to help her develop but could benefit the team. Although it might slow the development of O'Grady and Goodman who could use full time minutes.

Iowa will be loaded at the 5 next year with Goodman, O'Grady and Gyamfi (who can play either 4 or 5. I think she backs up Warnock at the 4 and gets spot minutes at the 5). i know Braydon and Kyle seem to think she and Kate will both return. i'm not as convinced until i get something more definitive. I'd say it's probably 50/50 maybe 60/40 that she returns.

i love her offense but I'd really like to see O'Grady and Goodman splitting minutes next year as it's better for the team. Monica is a great offensive player but Goodman and O'Grady are more rounded. The offensive would not be as potent without Monica but we'd have better rebounding and a defensive post presence as both Goodman/O'Grady have shown they can block shots.

Last edited:
He said on his show yesterday he's likely going to bring his daughter to the game @Rutgers to see Clark play. The team should be ready with a signed jersey for Patrick's daughter after the game.
I think she needs to release some jerseys period. They would sell like crazy.

I think she needs to release some jerseys period. They would sell like crazy.
Caitlyn doesn't really care about money. That's why she's been very limited with her NIL. But she really tries to interact with her fans as she always talks about being a role model for young girls. She took off her shoes and signed them for a young fan in Lincoln who had a sign that said rock paper scissors for your shoelaces. They were her own shoes and not the ones paid for by the University.

Most people only see the cocky swagger she shows on the court but those that are close to her say she's a goofball with a heart of gold.

Is that good?

Very, very good. :)

Do you think she has a shot at 3,000 career points?

She's averaging 26.5 ppg for her career.

30 games last year
28 games at least this year
33 games at least her junior year
33 games at least her senior year
----------------------------------------------------
124 estimated total games in her career
x 26.5 ppg, her career average
3,286 total career points
=================================

Last edited:
good thing we have here 2 more years! time will fly, though.
Are you sure about this? Conn. might come in with $100,000 NIL money per year. That might be too much to resist???
I know, shut the f--- up but Geno will be Geno!!

He said on his show yesterday he's likely going to bring his daughter to the game @Rutgers to see Clark play. The team should be ready with a signed jersey for Patrick's daughter after the game.
I thought it was one of Dan's side kicks who said that??

Are you sure about this? Conn. might come in with $100,000 NIL money per year. That might be too much to resist???
I know, shut the f--- up but Geno will be Geno!!

she loves Iowa and wants to take Iowa to a Final Four

and she is picky about NIL deals; she only has the Hy-Vee deal, IIRC

That wasn't Patrick but some other person on his show. He has daughters and a son, but at age 65, he probably doesn't have one that young.

That wasn't Patrick but some other person on his show. He has daughters and a son, but at age 65, he probably doesn't have one that young.
My apologies. It's Paul Pabst who is on the Dan Patrick show and his daughter's name is Payton and she's 13 and she idolizes Clark. Paul has mentioned his daughter being a big fan a couple of times. Paul said he was thinking about taking his daughter to the Iowa/Rutgers game at the RAC and that she really wants a Clark jersey.

I don't think that was Dan. It was one of the other studio guys going to the RAC....Sorry, just saw your post. Yep, it was Paul...

Very, very good. :)

Do you think she has a shot at 3,000 career points?

She's averaging 26.5 ppg for her career.

30 games last year
28 games at least this year
33 games at least her junior year
33 games at least her senior year
124 estimated total games in her career
x 26.5 ppg, her career average
3,286 total career points
=================================
Does Jackie Stiles hold the NCAAW record? I believe its somewhere around there......Edit: No Stiles is fourth. Funny thing is the ACTUAL leader Lynette Woodward with 3649 points, (WOW), is not recognized as such because the NCAA was not the governing body for womens sports until after her career ended in 1981, so her record doesn't stand. Silly rabbits: "tricks are for kids".....

Last edited:
I will say it again. All of this national attention is not only good for Caitlin, but for the future of the program.

And when you are good (or more than good) and play at Iowa, you most definitely can win National Player of the Year.

Reactions: Hawksfor3
ADVERTISEMENT