ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's chance at First B1G Championship in 42 years just got better; Tillman staying in NBA Draft

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Tom Izzo was already losing senior All-American Cassius Winston, so Tillman's departure leaves Izzo without his two best players from last season's team.

Tillman's decision comes shortly after rising junior Aaron Henry announced he was withdrawing his name from the NBA draft and returning to Michigan State.

Iowa has won 8 B1G Championships: 1923, 1926, 1945, 1955, 1956, 1968, 1970, 1979.

The full story, from ESPN:

Michigan State's Xavier Tillman keeping name in NBA draft

Jeff Borzello
ESPN Staff Writer

August 2, 2020, 3:13 PM CT

Michigan State forward Xavier Tillman is keeping his name in the NBA draft, ending his college career after three seasons with the Spartans.

Tillman was one of the most improved players in the country over the course of his three seasons in East Lansing, going from 2.8 points and 2.6 rebounds as a freshman to second-team All-Big Ten honors during his final campaign. As a junior, he averaged 13.7 points, 10.3 rebounds, 3.0 assists and 2.1 blocks, while shooting 55.0% from the field.

He was dominant at times -- at both ends of the floor. Tillman tallied 14 double-doubles last season, including a 23-point, 15-rebound performance against Penn State and 19 points, 16 rebounds, four assists and five blocks against Minnesota. He won Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year and also helped slow down Duke's Zion Williamson late in Michigan State's Elite Eight win in the 2019 NCAA tournament.

A 6-foot-8 frontcourt player from Grand Rapids, Michigan, Tillman is ranked No. 40 overall in ESPN's NBA draft rankings. He slots in as the No. 7 center.

Tillman's decision comes shortly after rising junior Aaron Henry announced he was withdrawing his name from the NBA draft and returning to Michigan State. Tom Izzo was already losing senior All-American Cassius Winston, so Tillman's departure leaves Izzo without his two best players from last season's team.

The Spartans earned a share of the 2020 Big Ten regular-season title after winning five in a row to end the season.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29584560/michigan-state-xavier-tillman-keeping-name-nba-draft

uwgHSUr.gif

I know football is a long shot to finish 1, but b-ball we will be right there and same for wrestling. And I am talking Big 10. However, thinking a little nationally, in b-ball we will be preseason top 10, wrestling 1, and football 20ish. That doesn’t mean squat, but I will take that. I mean last year wrestling was a guarantee pretty much, football was 15 and would have loved to see Iowa in the tourney. Give me another 3 schools with that coming into 2020.

I'll give it a go.... Top tier teams: Wisconsin, Iowa, Illinois, Rutgers... next tier: Michigan State, Michigan, Ohio St, Indiana... next tier: Maryland, Purdue... last tier: Penn St, Minnesota, Nebraska, Northwestern.
There's always 1 or 2 teams that surprise the picks....I'll go with Nebraska and Purdue.

Reactions: Franisdaman
MSU not in the top 4 is simply a wish. Somehow they will figure out how to contend.

Rutgers is real - experienced, talented, complete, awesome home court advantage.

The Hawks will live and die by defense and rebounding. Be statistically in the top half of the B1G and they should be there at the end.

Doubt any team will have a home court advantage this season. Doubt many fans, if any will be allowed to attend.

Reactions: kceasthawk
Cannot rely on a vaccine to save us this soon in the game, takes a lot of people pulling head from ass and doing the right things in the meantime.
Exactly, everyone get out there and start licking shopping cart handles so that we can get to herd immunity by basketball season!

Exactly, everyone get out there and start licking shopping cart handles so that we can get to herd immunity by basketball season!
With studies showing heart damage in some who had it and recovered months later, Red Sox pitcher just shut down season with the condition.. I'll pass.

ADVERTISEMENT