ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's chief justice warns state's indigent defense system could collapse

Jimmy McGill

HR Legend
Sep 9, 2018
Earth
https://www.amestrib.com/story/news...isis-supreme-court-chief-justice/69792316007/

Trust me, I did my share. The State made money off my indentured servitude (and I say that because they would still cut claims at the reduced fee amount)

F'em. It was basically public service for free loading Iowans

And when I say that, I don't mean the clients, I mean the people that vote to incarcerate but don't want to pay for a decent defense attorney

If you want a good lawyer you shouldn’t be a poor or an abused minor. Kimmie is just telling Iowans they need to make better choices in life.

A great way for Kimmie and legislature to create a shit load of appeals and Post Conviction relief actions. They are cutting off their nose to spite the face

Would offering to some student loans entice some?

Maybe an IPERS special exception? Not a state employee but the lawyer is given some money into IPERS to offset the low pay?

In the past there have been threads on here about low starting pay for new lawyers. Not that you want a greenhorn defending you.

Reactions: Jimmy McGill
Would offering to some student loans entice some?

Maybe an IPERS special exception? Not a state employee but the lawyer is given some money into IPERS to offset the low pay?

In the past there have been threads on here about low starting pay for new lawyers. Not that you want a greenhorn defending you.

There are some programs for full time public defenders (which are pretty much in urban areas). Nothing for the contract defense attorneys or guardian ad litems in rural areas

There are counties in Iowa without a single attorney willing to do contract work. You would be surprised at the population of these counties. Some are larger than you would think.

Mr. Wright at the State PD Office has tried his best. But the folks on the hill simply dont get it

Reactions: hawkbirch
And I encourage all GIORT attorneys to continue to bump this to the top . I firmly believe in equal justice for all

And I encourage all GIORT attorneys to continue to bump this to the top . I firmly believe in equal justice for all
Word. GAL’s are what crosses into my world and it’s hard enough to get good ones in Des Moines. It has to be a disaster out in rural areas.

When my dad was a small town lawyer, he used to say the state/county was the first one to call and last one to pay. The pay scale for contracted indigent work is trash compared to other states.

https://www.amestrib.com/story/news...isis-supreme-court-chief-justice/69792316007/

Trust me, I did my share. The State made money off my indentured servitude (and I say that because they would still cut claims at the reduced fee amount)

F'em. It was basically public service for free loading Iowans

And when I say that, I don't mean the clients, I mean the people that vote to incarcerate but don't want to pay for a decent defense attorney

Sounds like a real problem our majority Republican leadership should find solutio….lol, I’m sorry, I just couldn’t finish that sentence without snickering.

Back to all the gay stuff!!!

Word. GAL’s are what crosses into my world and it’s hard enough to get good ones in Des Moines. It has to be a disaster out in rural areas.

When my dad was a small town lawyer, he used to say the state/county was the first one to call and last one to pay. The pay scale for contracted indigent work is trash compared to other states.

I loved doing GAL work. Sure, you see some bad stuff, but you get to try to make the world a better place. It just isn't financially feasible if the State is not going to pay.

An estimated 70%–80% of Iowa criminal defendants are indigent,1 which means that when they are facing what may be one of the most difficult circumstances of their lives, they get a court-appointed attorney selected by a judge unless their family, friends, or others are able to hire a private attorney of the defendant’s choosing. Once hired, that attorney may need to hire investigators and experts to help with the defense, but those cost even more money.

Nothing will bring the justice system to a screeching halt faster than not enough defense attorneys. Like others have said, the public defender and contract attorneys are absolutely critical to our system working at even the most basic level. Kudos to the Chief Justice for shining a light on this one.

If you thought COVID brought the court system to a slow, guess what happens when you can't get defense counsel and timelines are missed for prosecution and the Court. I've always been one to waive speedy trial, but in this day in age it should always be requested.

This is a very real issue.

Reactions: lucas80
Money isn't an issue, Kimmie has told us we are in great shape financially. It's simply a lack of concern.

If you thought COVID brought the court system to a slow, guess what happens when you can't get defense counsel and timelines are missed for prosecution and the Court. I've always been one to waive speedy trial, but in this day in age it should always be requested.

This is a very real issue.
Google the issues Louisiana has had. Maybe still are. They rely on collected fines for the public defenders. Defendants can wait a year in jail without charges.

• Wow
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT