Eternal Return

HR Heisman
Oct 15, 2009
After 8 games, here are Iowa's NCAA rankings:

Scoring defense: 3rd
Total defense: 6th
Rushing defense: 7th
Passing defense: 12th

And there's one offensive stat that has also helped Iowa's D (perhaps the result of Iowa's D even):

Time of possession: 7th

Pretty damn impressive. I'll also give a shout out to Michael Ojemudia. After some up and down years, he's really turned into an exceptional corner for Iowa.

DE and safety play have been exceptional. Koerner has been a great surprise. I don’t know if he has missed a tackle all year outside of the death blow against PSU.

Impressive how sound they are stuffing the run. Playmakers are having a hard time getting to the corner against this d.

Reactions: ichawk24
After 8 games, here are Iowa's NCAA rankings:

Scoring defense: 3rd
Total defense: 6th
Rushing defense: 7th
Passing defense: 12th

And there's one offensive stat that has also helped Iowa's D (perhaps the result of Iowa's D even):

Pretty damn impressive. I'll also give a shout out to Michael Ojemudia. After some up and down years, he's really turned into an exceptional corner for Iowa.
Agreed. He did miss a tackle that would have stopped a drive Sat. and PP lit him up on the sideline.

But yes, pretty steady performer.

Reactions: Eternal Return
Need to add a Pick6 to that resume - at Wisconsin sounds good to me. Interceptions are down dramatically compared to last season. Its tough to get the Badgers out of their ball control run game but an early score and a couple stops by the D might be the prescription.

Amazing, that's a very telling stat re: opponent's points. Usually, we have a standout LB when we have this kind of D (e.g. Jewell/Hodge/Greenway/Angerer). This time, it's a complete and total TEAM effort...Eppy gets doubled, which opens up Lattimore and Chauncey and the back 4 or 5 is very technically sound (with OJ serving as the lockdown corner) and a physical SS in Stone and a solid FS in newcomer Koerner.

I’m probably gonna catch flak for this but I think this is the best defense we’ve had since 2009

The stat I saw shows in ppg allowed, this years defense is better than 2009. That said, I think Stanzi threw 5 pick-6's vs Stanley zero so far, so that alone counted for close to 3ppg given up by 2009 defense.

I posted this in another thread but it is worth repeating. This defense has these amazing number without TFLs and sacks. In both those categories, Iowa is ranked in the eighties. This D is built differently than the past great Iowa defenses. It truly is team D without any standout stars.

It boggles my mind more people don't understand this. Iowa has a system. It's a very basic system. It's a system that we've been pretty successful with. It's also a system that gets fans frustrated with running a "boring" offense.

It is based off of limiting possessions for the opponent. It's based off milking the clock by being a run first offense (if we can). It's not supposed to get us in the top 20-30 in total offense/PPG. It will lead to top 20 defensive rankings and lackluster offensive ratings. Offensive efficiency is a better measure for our style of play. It typically looks better for us, as it should.

That doesn't mean we can't do better on offense and that our coaches/players are satisfied with what they're doing. There sure as hell is something to be said about finishing drives with TDs. But overall, out offense has done a relatively decent job at moving the ball between the 30's with long, sustained drives for most of our games. We just need to punch it in more.

I posted this in another thread but it is worth repeating. This defense has these amazing number without TFLs and sacks. In both those categories, Iowa is ranked in the eighties. This D is built differently than the past great Iowa defenses. It truly is team D without any standout stars.
Very much like the 2008 defense. IMO, the best defense of the Ferentz era. Excellent against both pass AND run, without gaudy sack or TFL numbers.

This unit is so much fun to watch.

Last edited:
It boggles my mind more people don't understand this. Iowa has a system. It's a very basic system. It's a system that we've been pretty successful with. It's also a system that gets fans frustrated with running a "boring" offense.

It is based off of limiting possessions for the opponent. It's based off milking the clock by being a run first offense (if we can). It's not supposed to get us in the top 20-30 in total offense/PPG. It will lead to top 20 defensive rankings and lackluster offensive ratings. Offensive efficiency is a better measure for our style of play. It typically looks better for us, as it should.

That doesn't mean we can't do better on offense and that our coaches/players are satisfied with what they're doing. There sure as hell is something to be said about finishing drives with TDs. But overall, out offense has done a relatively decent job at moving the ball between the 30's with long, sustained drives for most of our games. We just need to punch it in more.
There are way too many worthless stats people look at. (not saying I'm not guilty of that-I just take most with a grain of salt)
Points per possession are a lot more important, imo, than ppg ypg blah blah blah. Even then it only means so much when everyone is playing different teams.

As for your last statement. Reminds me of myself telling people Stanley TD count was a way overrated stat. Oh how they flamed me :D. Bet most realize he can thank fant and hock a little more than they realized!

Reactions: HawkeyeHoltkamp
Iowa has held all 8 opponents under their season scoring average.

Miami (OH) 22 ppg (scored 14 vs Iowa)
ISU 36 ppg (17)
MTSU 25 ppg (3)
Rutgers 15 ppg (zip)
Michigan 31 ppg (10)
Penn State 39 ppg (17)
Purdue 23 ppg (20)
N'Western 11 ppg (zip)

I still think Michigan out Iowa’d Iowa. They beat the Hawks at their own game.

Mich got an early two score lead and just went into a basic offense holding the lead. Mich traded aggressive play calling for ball security. I’m not saying Iowa’s defense didn’t have anything to do with keeping Michigan out of the end zone, but it felt like Michigan was just playing to hold on to the lead.

Mich got an early two score lead and just went into a basic offense holding the lead. Mich traded aggressive play calling for ball security. I’m not saying Iowa’s defense didn’t have anything to do with keeping Michigan out of the end zone, but it felt like Michigan was just playing to hold on to the lead.
Iowa's oline was still in flux. Jackson's first game back was not good and he stated such. I am hoping that going forward that the line makes strides as they do in good years in November.

Need to add a Pick6 to that resume - at Wisconsin sounds good to me. Interceptions are down dramatically compared to last season. Its tough to get the Badgers out of their ball control run game but an early score and a couple stops by the D might be the prescription.
Teams aren't throwing downfield as much against Iowa this year.

Part of that could be because of AJ and our DL, but also I think our opponents have recognized that Iowa has been very adept at being ball hawks the last few years, so they're really trying to make safe short throws in their attempt to move the ball downfield.
There are way too many worthless stats people look at. (not saying I'm not guilty of that-I just take most with a grain of salt)
Points per possession are a lot more important, imo, than ppg ypg blah blah blah. Even then it only means so much when everyone is playing different teams.

As for your last statement. Reminds me of myself telling people Stanley TD count was a way overrated stat. Oh how they flamed me :D. Bet most realize he can thank fant and hock a little more than they realized!
Stanley > your version of Stanley

michigan......ball security.....lol :)

Iowa's oline was still in flux. Jackson's first game back was not good and he stated such. I am hoping that going forward that the line makes strides as they do in good years in November.
My hope is the bye week provides an opportunity for this OL to finally get on the same page and put together a complete game, and against one of their best remaining opponents no less.

"great"?

I guess we have different definitions of "great" ;)
Oh, your version of great is "awesome"?

Wow. That's neat! :)

giphy.gif

Well, we have a better defense than Notre Dame and they've had the nation's best recruiting class each season since Big Bill Taft was in the White House.

michigan......ball security.....lol :)

That’s what I mean. They saw what happened vs Wisconsin with four turnovers.

Michigan has four TOs in the last four games total and that’s playing: Iowa, PSU, ND and ILL. Half of those came against ILL.

That’s what I mean. They saw what happened vs Wisconsin with four turnovers.

Michigan has four TOs in the last four games total and that’s playing: Iowa, PSU, ND and ILL. Half of those came against ILL.
They didn't do a much better job vs us.....the fumbles just bounced the right way for them.

I think it's a mix of offensive philosophy/effectiveness and defensive effectiveness. It's an impressive stat, better national ranking in this statistic than Iowa's had in a while, too.

ADVERTISEMENT