ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Johnson County Democrats calls for replacing caucuses with a presidential primary

cigaretteman

HR King
May 29, 2001
I'm with them:

The largest Democratic caucus site in Iowa's Johnson County in 2020 held nearly 900 people, said local activist John Deeth — a far cry from the glorified image of Iowans debating presidential politics in a neighbor's living room.

"People who defend the caucuses say it's a good organizing opportunity," Deeth said. "But you can't organize when you're dealing with crowd control and anger management."

That's among the reasons Deeth introduced a resolution at the local party's off-year caucus recently to support ending presidential preference caucuses in Iowa and instead hold a primary election. The caucus group adopted the resolution on a vote of 39 to 11.

The resolution has few practical implications for the future of caucuses but it highlights a growing divide within the Iowa Democratic Party. Some Iowa Democrats, like Deeth, have grown more vocal in their push to abandon caucuses — and Iowa's coveted first-in-the-nation status if necessary — in order to adopt a more inclusive nominating process.

Caucuses are, by design, more exclusive than standard primaries because they require participants to be physically present at a specific time for a process that can take hours. Though Iowa Democrats have sought ways to make the process more accessible, caucuses do not allow for true absentee participation and can exclude people with disabilities, shift workers and those without reliable transportation, among others.

"Iowa Democrats keep saying, 'Voting should be convenient. Voting should be easy, except at the caucuses. And then you have to go and stand in the corner for three hours to vote,'" Deeth said. "That's unacceptable, and that is more important than whose turn it is to go first."

More:Iowa Poll: Iowans show increased willingness to adopt presidential primary after 2020 debacle

But it would not be as easy as adopting a primary and maintaining Iowa's place at the front of the nominating calendar. New Hampshire has a law that is strictly enforced by its secretary of state, Bill Gardner, requiring it to hold the nation's first primary.

Abandoning caucuses — or even adopting rules that look too similar to a primary — could trigger Gardner to move up his primary so that it remains first.

The Iowa Democratic Party did not immediately return a request for comment, though Chairman Ross Wilburn has said repeatedly that maintaining Iowa's first-in-the-nation status is a top priority.

Republicans, who use a much simpler process to caucus, have also emphatically promised to defend Iowa's status quo.

Reactions: Pinehawk
It's undemocratic, and the Dem caucuses are worse than the GOP ones. The GOP one I attended, they at least had a secret ballot for the actual vote after the other caucus business including supporters pitching the candidates. If the parties each want to maintain a caucus, maybe make a caucus for people who want to dress up and go out to caucus and still call it a caucus and then everyone else who has the internet can drop off their ranked choice secret ballot for POTUS nominee and let the full time folks conduct the local party biz. Be the first caucus and also get better participation in it

Reactions: cigaretteman
A Presidential Primary in Iowa would give more Iowans an
opportunity to vote. This is an important consideration.
The caucus may have outlived its usefulness. The prestige
of being first is not that great. Let New Hampshire have
its thrill.

FWIW, I agree with the momentum here to change the current caucus format. I think the arguments presented by Mr. Deeth are very sound.

Although there are a number of things that concern me about the state of politics in this nation, one of my primary concerns is a winnowing process that lends itself to what I would see as fringe type people. The format of the Iowa caucuses are a part of the problem IMO.

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT