ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's May 21 RPI is 66 (WAS 34 ON APR 1); Overall Strength of Schedule is 124 (WAS 54 ON MAY 7)

Franisdaman

HR King
Nov 3, 2012
Heaven, Iowa
Iowa slipped 2 SPOTS in the RPI (from 64 to 66) after winning all 3 at home vs Penn State.

Iowa's RPI was 34 on April 1.

Iowa's Overall Strength of Schedule TWO WEEKS AGO (on May 7) was 54 after losing a heart breaker to then #32 (RPI) Missouri and taking 2 of 3 from then #22 (RPI) Oklahoma State. Iowa then played RPI Bottom Feeders N'western, Western Illinois and Penn State to get to its current SOS number.

RPI's (and Overall Strength of Schedule) after completion of May 20 games:

16 (55) Minnesota
23 (77) Indiana
40 (82) Purdue
41 (40) Ohio State
50 (61) Illinois
55 (123) Michigan
66 (124) Iowa
97 (33) Maryland
100 (32) Nebraska
167 (201) Rutgers
188 (111) Michigan State
231 (164) Northwestern
235 (128) Penn State

Iowa slipped 14 SPOTS in the RPI (from 50 to 64) after losing 2 of 3 to Northwestern.

Iowa's RPI was 34 on April 1.

RPI's (and Overall Strength of Schedule) after completion of May 13 games:

24 (63) Minnesota
27 (75) Indiana
33 (44) Ohio State
44 (59) Illinois
54 (149) Michigan
56 (100) Purdue
64 (81) Iowa
99 (54) Maryland
108 (49) Nebraska
167 (221) Rutgers
195 (126) Michigan State
215 (169) Northwestern
239 (120) Penn State

Iowa slipped FOUR SPOTS after losing a heart breaker to #32 (RPI) Missouri and taking 2 of 3 from #22 (RPI) Oklahoma State.

RPI's (and Overall Strength of Schedule) after completion of May 6 games:

14 (42) Minnesota
24 (80) Indiana
30 (62) Ohio State
47 (149) Michigan
50 (54) Iowa
57 (68) Illinois
59 (116) Purdue
113 (47) Maryland
114 (73) Nebraska
153 (219) Rutgers
216 (182) Michigan State
232 (184) Northwestern
238 (84) Penn State

Iowa slipped one spot after taking 2 of 3 from 1ST PLACE Michigan..

RPI's (and Overall Strength of Schedule) after completion of Apr 29 games:

20 (106) IU
28 (78) Minnesota
38 (80) OSU
46 (65) Iowa
48 (70) Illinois
57 (161) Michigan
58 (87) Purdue
102 (31) Maryland
109 (63) Nebraska
153 (242) Rutgers
204 (135) Michigan State
224 (180) Northwestern
235 (74) Penn State

Iowa slipped a bit after losing 2 of 3 to Minny.

RPI's after completion of Apr 22 games:

26 IU
39 OSU
40 Minnesota
45 Iowa
54 Michigan
58 Illinois
76 Purdue
117 Nebraska
123 Maryland
140 Rutgers
203 Mich State
209 Penn State
241 Northwestern

Iowa slipped a bit after splitting 2 games with Nebby.

RPI's after completion of Apr 15 games:

26 IU
27 Illinois
39 Iowa
40 Minnesota
42 Ohio State
51 Michigan
80 Maryland
82 Purdue
92 Nebraska
143 Rutgers
181 Northwestern
228 Mich State
232 Penn State

RPI's After completion of Apr 8 games:

20 IU
35 Illinois
36 Iowa
51 OSU
52 Minny
67 Purdue
68 Michigan
103 Maryland
114 Nebraska
143 Rutgers
212 Michigan St
221 Penn St
222 N'western

ORIGINAL POST:

Iowa Baseball up to 34 in the RPI per @d1baseball and @UIBaseball

SOURCE:

Iowa Baseball Retweeted
Zach Mackey‏@zach_w_mackey 16h16 hours ago
Zach Mackey Retweeted D1Baseball.com

Hawkeyes RPI coming in at #34 in the country and second in the Big Ten @UIBaseball

D1Baseball.com‏Verified account@d1baseball

RPI UPDATE: With the weekend in the books, the @D1Baseball RPI Nitty Gritty is updated.

Who leads the way?

How's your team look vs. RPI Top 25/50 and more?

Find out here: https://d1baseball.com/nitty-gritty/

Last edited:
Exciting but it gets tougher to stay up there the higher you go. OSU is in the high 50’s so unless we sweep them next weekend we’ll probably drop a few spots.

I know Indiana and IL are helping but who else? UNLV looks to have slipped out of the top 25 but is still probably helping our RPI. The rest of the teams, I am not sure about.

Unfortunately, Nebraska dropped over 40 spots and is now at 116, which makes them a Group 3 team.

Reactions: WestIAHawk
Nebraska has had a rough 3 weeks going 2-7. Really bad weekend going 0-2 at a terrible MSU team. Hopefully Iowa can add to their misery this weekend!

Question: Does RPI give you credit for where a team is ranked when you play them or their current RPI?

Nebraska has had a rough 3 weeks going 2-7. Really bad weekend going 0-2 at a terrible MSU team. Hopefully Iowa can add to their misery this weekend!

Question: Does RPI give you credit for where a team is ranked when you play them or their current RPI?

When you played. You see Iowa is 7-2 vs RPI 200+. That is because SLU and UAB were 200+ then during our L's.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
Nebraska had an RPI of 65 prior to the MSU games. That is a good road RPI to face. Now if we lose, it hurts us a lot.

Luckily, Okie State has an RPI of 40 and climbing. Minnesota is 55 and that's on the road. Bradley is up to 66 and it's on the road Tuesday.

Nebraska had an RPI of 65 prior to the MSU games. That is a good road RPI to face. Now if we lose, it hurts us a lot.

Luckily, Okie State has an RPI of 40 and climbing. Minnesota is 55 and that's on the road. Bradley is up to 66 and it's on the road Tuesday.
Really bad timing for Iowa to have Nebby crap the bed. As much as I love seeing it, could end up hurting in the long run. No upside really...

AND avoid home L's to 200+ RPI teams.

At this point I am more concerned about playing our way into an at-large bid than a B1G title or high B1G finish.

Agree. The schedule imbalance means Iowa has a huge uphill climb for the regular season title. Win series against the good competition (last 3 weekends were really good) and the at-large berth becomes more likely.

RPI with Conf. standings:
DaXu9LLXcAA55oz.jpg:large

Reactions: Franisdaman
I would be very surprised if Iowa was not in the B1G Tournament.
Tied for 4th with some of the toughest games out of the way. Only 1 game back of second, but 1 back of 8th. Having that last game vs Indiana cancelled stinks because if we won that, then we have the tiebreaker over Illinois for 3rd. I agree with you, though. It's tight right now, but I think we make it.

Tied for 4th with some of the toughest games out of the way. Only 1 game back of second, but 1 back of 8th. Having that last game vs Indiana cancelled stinks because if we won that, then we have the tiebreaker over Illinois for 3rd. I agree with you, though. It's tight right now, but I think we make it.
Ending with jNW and PSU should give Iowa a little cushion.

Iowa slipped a bit after splitting 2 games with Nebby.

RPI's after completion of Apr 15 games:

26 IU
27 Illinois
39 Iowa
40 Minnesota
42 Ohio State
51 Michigan
80 Maryland
82 Purdue
92 Nebraska
143 Rutgers
181 Northwestern
228 Mich State
232 Penn State

i am glad we schedule teams like Ok State; it helps our RPI and it should bring out some decent crowds

I look at it as an opportunity. Iowa definitely needs to get some wins against Minny/Michigan. It really could make or break our season and BTT qualification.

Minnesota's Fri/Sat pitchers are high quality arms.

Okie State is two years removed from a CWS. I am very surprised to see them coming to Iowa City.

I look at it as an opportunity. Iowa definitely needs to get some wins against Minny/Michigan. It really could make or break our season and BTT qualification.

Minnesota's Fri/Sat pitchers are high quality arms.

Okie State is two years removed from a CWS. I am very surprised to see them coming to Iowa City.
i wonder if they will play in US Bank Stadium 4 days from now; we got 15 inches snow over the weekend and they are talking up to 4 more inches Tues night into Wed morning

i am glad we schedule teams like Ok State; it helps our RPI and it should bring out some decent crowds

I was shocked to see Oklahoma State on the schedule, too. Having them come up to IC speaks volumes about where Heller has the Iowa program right now.

I was shocked to see Oklahoma State on the schedule, too. Having them come up to IC speaks volumes about where Heller has the Iowa program right now.
anybody know off the top of their head how many total scholarships D1 baseball gets?

How does Heller then distribute the money? Does he hand out a lot of partial scholarships?

Google told me this:

There are approximately 299 NCAA Division I baseball programs with each team being allowed to offer a maximum of (11.7) scholarships. Under NCAA rules, these 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25% scholarship.

anybody know off the top of their head how many total scholarships D1 baseball gets?

How does Heller then distribute the money? Does he hand out a lot of partial scholarships?

Google told me this:

There are approximately 299 NCAA Division I baseball programs with each team being allowed to offer a maximum of (11.7) scholarships. Under NCAA rules, these 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25% scholarship.

They can oversign by two players, pushing the scholarships to 12.5-ish. I doubt there's more than a dozen guys across college baseball receiving a full ride...too few dollars to make it happen.

I feel like if we can go 5-4 in those next three series, that would be pretty good. I’m banking on at least 4-2 the last two series.

Reactions: whatsup13579er
Iowa is "First Four Out" in both Baseball America's latest projections and "College Sports Madness" latest projections:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/projected-field-of-64-april-11-2018/

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16055

Winning a series on the road against Minnesota would likely be a huge shot in the arm. Taking 2 of 3 at home against "currently undefeated in the B1G" Michigan would be helpful (check out UM's woeful schedule) as would taking 2 of 3 from likely NCAA at-large Okie State. That and sweeping PSU and Northwestern at the end of the season (both of whom are 1-11 in B1G play).

I'd like to see Iowa in upper 20s or low 30s RPI at close of season to feel better about an at-large berth.

I feel like if we can go 5-4 in those next three series, that would be pretty good. I’m banking on at least 4-2 the last two series.

If Iowa goes 4-2 against two teams that are both 1-11 in B1G play, they won't enhance their at-large chances. I'm thinking 5-1 is a "must."

If Iowa goes 4-2 against two teams that are both 1-11 in B1G play, they won't enhance their at-large chances. I'm thinking 5-1 is a "must."

5-1 is a must and I'd follow that up by saying a home loss to a 200ish RPI team that late would kill our RPI.

5-1 is also a must when it comes to making the B1G tournament. I am very weary right now given our next two weeekend and the fact our offense/bullpen has seemed lifeless at times.

2-4 vs Minn/Mich would put Iowa at 8-8 in the B1G. 4-2 in the last two puts Iowa at 12-10 and I am not convinced that gets you in the B1G tournament.

As far as NCAA at-large goes. My gut tells me 3-3 vs Minn/Mich. 1-2 or better vs Okie State and 5-1/6-0 in the last two series.

Of course we also have some mid-week games against bad RPI teams as well.

Iowa is "First Four Out" in both Baseball America's latest projections and "College Sports Madness" latest projections:

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/projected-field-of-64-april-11-2018/

http://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/16055

Winning a series on the road against Minnesota would likely be a huge shot in the arm. Taking 2 of 3 at home against "currently undefeated in the B1G" Michigan would be helpful (check out UM's woeful schedule) as would taking 2 of 3 from likely NCAA at-large Okie State. That and sweeping PSU and Northwestern at the end of the season (both of whom are 1-11 in B1G play).

I'd like to see Iowa in upper 20s or low 30s RPI at close of season to feel better about an at-large berth.

I agree with all. Iowa CANNOT let their RPI slip to the 40's. Could it happen? Absolutely.

If it is in the 40's we could potentially play ourselves in during the B1G tournament if we got to face Illinois or Indiana.

Also how fun is this? When you look back 10 years ago even. We are legitimately worried that our RPI is 39.

5-1 is a must and I'd follow that up by saying a home loss to a 200ish RPI team that late would kill our RPI.

5-1 is also a must when it comes to making the B1G tournament. I am very weary right now given our next two weeekend and the fact our offense/bullpen has seemed lifeless at times.

2-4 vs Minn/Mich would put Iowa at 8-8 in the B1G. 4-2 in the last two puts Iowa at 12-10 and I am not convinced that gets you in the B1G tournament.

As far as NCAA at-large goes. My gut tells me 3-3 vs Minn/Mich. 1-2 or better vs Okie State and 5-1/6-0 in the last two series.

Of course we also have some mid-week games against bad RPI teams as well.

12-10 could leave Iowa out of the BTT, but I would say better than 50% chance they get in with that record. The teams below them are not great. MSU, Nebraska, Northwestern and Penn State don't appear to have what it takes to get hot. Really gets down to Purdue, Maryland and Rutgers all getting to better than 12-10. Maryland could. They play Purdue, Nebraska, MSU, Rutgers and Indiana. But if they get hot they are putting losses on Purdue, Nebraska, Rutgers and MSU. All teams chasing Iowa. Nebraska is on life support to make the tournament. Finish with series against Illinois and Indiana. Good luck. Purdue has Maryland, Rutgers, Northwestern all coming up but then finish with Michigan and Ohio State. Rutgers still has Minnesota and Michigan, in addition to Maryland and Purdue.

The downside of the tough Big 10 slate is it makes winning the league regular season next to impossible. The upside is the opportunity to play teams that help the RPI for at-large NCAA berth. If Iowa manages to go 5-4 or better vs Minnesota, Michigan and Okie State they would be in great shape for the NCAA tournament and then in a position to move up in the Big 10 standings over the last 2 weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT