ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's passing game

herkyhawk00

HB Legend
Jan 28, 2008
This isn't a gripe session as much as it is wanting to discuss potential issues that appear to prevent us from being more successful in the mid level to deep threat game. Looking at Kakert's diagram of the passing game last week, which was very good btw, and watching our offense the last two weeks, we simply haven't been able to get open downfield which has resulted in sacks, check downs, and broken plays. Not knowing for sure as I can't pick up all of the routes, but it appears that our deep game revolves around primarily running verticals, which I question whether we have the speed to really excel in that. I am a big believer in attacking the middle of the field as the crossing routes are particularly difficult in man coverage, but it appears the middle is relegated only up to 15 yards. I like Beathard's arm but question whether we need to increase the frequency of double moves (ie. post to a corner, hitch and go's, slant and go's etc.) and deeper crossing/middle routes in order to improve our ability to get open for more bigger plays to occur?

Just wanting to discuss what others feel we could do to improve our deep threat and take advantage of Beathard's arm?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News