ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Ride Changes Direction and Dates

Hawki97

HR Legend
Dec 16, 2001
Iowa City, IA
Wanted to beat @torbee to the punch. ;)

Just announced they're going East to West and going to happen the week before RAGBRAI. I'd say it's a good call. Here's their announcement.

-------------------

We have been meeting with and listening to many cycling teams and cyclists throughout the state. We have received some great feedback to help shape IOWA’S RIDE. The most overwhelming concern that keeps coming up is the date of the event and how it is dividing long standing cycling teams. We have even heard from teams trying to decide who gets the team bus for the week. This was never our intent, and this is not good for anyone who just wants to ride their bike.
We want to do the right thing for riders in Iowa, so we will change the dates of Iowa’s Ride to begin riding on Sunday, July 12th and end on Saturday, July 18th. IOWA’S RIDE will also start on the eastern edge of Iowa in a Mississippi River town and travel west, ending seven days later in Western Iowa.

We apologize to those who have scheduled around this week and will be disappointed by this decision. We will refund 100% of those entry fees if they request since they no longer wish to do the ride. Again, we apologize to these folks who registered for IOWA’S RIDE and would not be able to ride on our new dates.

We are excited to get the route out in November. We are excited to get back to the roots that started the bike movement by visiting the welcoming towns of Iowa.
We have plenty of club visits lined up soon and we look forward to talking to more teams that want to learn about IOWA’S RIDE. If you want to schedule a visit for us to meet with your club/team, please send an email to fun@iowasride.com

We have also pledged to extend the early-bird deadline until February 1st. This $150 entry fee will save $25 for each riding member.

In the end, we will give back all proceeds after expenses to Iowa charities. Thank you for the support and we look forward to putting on a great inaugural IOWA’S RIDE!

Wanted to beat @torbee to the punch. ;)

Just announced they're going East to West and going to happen the week before RAGBRAI. I'd say it's a good call. Here's their announcement.

-------------------

We have been meeting with and listening to many cycling teams and cyclists throughout the state. We have received some great feedback to help shape IOWA’S RIDE. The most overwhelming concern that keeps coming up is the date of the event and how it is dividing long standing cycling teams. We have even heard from teams trying to decide who gets the team bus for the week. This was never our intent, and this is not good for anyone who just wants to ride their bike.
We want to do the right thing for riders in Iowa, so we will change the dates of Iowa’s Ride to begin riding on Sunday, July 12th and end on Saturday, July 18th. IOWA’S RIDE will also start on the eastern edge of Iowa in a Mississippi River town and travel west, ending seven days later in Western Iowa.

We apologize to those who have scheduled around this week and will be disappointed by this decision. We will refund 100% of those entry fees if they request since they no longer wish to do the ride. Again, we apologize to these folks who registered for IOWA’S RIDE and would not be able to ride on our new dates.

We are excited to get the route out in November. We are excited to get back to the roots that started the bike movement by visiting the welcoming towns of Iowa.
We have plenty of club visits lined up soon and we look forward to talking to more teams that want to learn about IOWA’S RIDE. If you want to schedule a visit for us to meet with your club/team, please send an email to fun@iowasride.com

We have also pledged to extend the early-bird deadline until February 1st. This $150 entry fee will save $25 for each riding member.

In the end, we will give back all proceeds after expenses to Iowa charities. Thank you for the support and we look forward to putting on a great inaugural IOWA’S RIDE!
Standing by my prediction this ride happens maybe once and then fades into obscurity.

This decision won't help. The vast preponderance of cyclists will only want to take vacation for one ride and they will go with the one on the usual dates going the usual direction.

I am actually beginning to almost feel sorry for TJ. Clearly, he is pretty awful at contemplating unintended consequences.

Reactions: MitchLL
Standing by my prediction this ride happens maybe once and then fades into obscurity.

This decision won't help. The vast preponderance of cyclists will only want to take vacation for one ride and they will go with the one on the usual dates going the usual direction.

I am actually beginning to almost feel sorry for TJ. Clearly, he is pretty awful at contemplating unintended consequences.

I'm thinking about going on it because the jersey may become a collector's item!

That said, I think the only way this ride will live is if it becomes a small ride for a very specific community. There are a surprising number of hardcore cyclists that ride to the start of RAGBRAI each year and I could see them getting behind it. A few more that for whatever reason they can't make it the actual week of RAGBRAI. Or those that are just done with how over the top RAGBRAI has become.

Regardless, it if makes it, it won't be the event he hopes it will be IMHO.

That means riding into a predominate summer headwind...
W2__46407.1505908932.jpg

Reactions: torbee
Interesting but not a lot of people are willing to take two weeks off.

riding west will be more challenging with prevailing winds.

this thing isn’t going to survive long term. My guess is the big groups that actually pay registration stuck with Register and thus these people are screwed.

baggers that have summers off will love it. Of course those people don’t spend the kind of money needed to support a lot of overhead.

Last edited:
I have an event with my job that always takes place the last week in July so I'm kind of stoked. I'm also a glutton for punishment so bring on the headwinds!

Idk, seems like all it ever does is f*#king rain in Iowa anymore.

Wind might be blowing out of the east that whole week. :rolleyes:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT