ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's status in the New Big Ten

Kinnick4Ever

HR MVP
Nov 2, 2001
Iowa City
I want to celebrate the additions of USC and UCLA, but the questions are nagging:

Did Iowa's chances of winning a conference title just go from extremely difficult to nigh impossible?

Will the competitive advantages already enjoyed by schools in large population areas with grand traditions, rich alumni, and enormous aspirations only grow as the number of relevant competitors diminishes and the cutthroat NIL arms race intensifies?

If the athletic coffers are full but notable success on the playing field is virtually beyond reach, how strong will Iowa's fandom be?

I want to celebrate the additions of USC and UCLA, but the questions are nagging:

Did Iowa's chances of winning a conference title just go from extremely difficult to nigh impossible?

Will the competitive advantages already enjoyed by schools in large population areas with grand traditions, rich alumni, and enormous aspirations only grow as the number of relevant competitors diminishes and the cutthroat NIL arms race intensifies?

If the athletic coffers are full but notable success on the playing field is virtually beyond reach, how strong will Iowa's fandom be?
IMO, continued recruiting classes trending up + player development history + a little luck = BIG Contender in future years to come (with or without LA schools)….

The more teams get added, the harder it is for any one team to win the league. To answer your question, Iowa's chances went from difficult to more difficult. My hope is the playoff is expanded to 16 or 24 teams that is where teams are really judged.

The bigger concern to me is that the conference will just get too big and won't feel like a conference anymore. I want to play to teams I have long-worn grudges with most Saturdays, not just anyone.

But, the variety will also be nice. I guess for me it just depends on how they balance things.

The bigger concern to me is that the conference will just get too big and won't feel like a conference anymore. I want to play to teams I have long-worn grudges with most Saturdays, not just anyone.

But, the variety will also be nice. I guess for me it just depends on how they balance things.
It will no doubt be different but the view of how it looks is better on the inside than from the outside.

The more teams get added, the harder it is for any one team to win the league. To answer your question, Iowa's chances went from difficult to more difficult. My hope is the playoff is expanded to 16 or 24 teams that is where teams are really judged.
So we're going to end up with 2 mega conferences and then a 16 team playoff of mostly teams from those to 2 conferences. Sounds great

Nah. People are stuck in the old paradigm. These realignments are likely happening to facilitate a true playoff. First rounds happen within the 2 super conferences. Champions of B1G and SEC meet in college "super bowl". Probably very similar to NFL model. I could see three 8-team divisions in each setting up a 4 team playoff within the conference (3 division Champs + wildcard). The two conferences would split proceeds from "super bowl". Media rights for the 2 conferences + "college super bowl" would be astronomical, and only split among 48 schools. Competitive balance rules would be easier to implement, control, and monitor. PAC12, ACC, and B12 have the most desirable 12 teams pulled in to B1G/SEC and the rest merge/realign with G5 schools to form a sort of "FCS+" level, or triple A that the 48 schools raid for players as needed.

Iowa will be just fine and have as much chance of competing for division, conference, and national championships as they do now (ie, long shot...but possible). May even give more of a chance really.

I dont know if I like where this is all going - I watch college ball and don't really care about the NFL, so I dont really want to be more like the NFL - but it all seems pretty inevitable at this point with NIL/collectives and the amounts of money up for grabs. B1G and SEC are in pole position and really have no choice but to keep their lead and consolidate.

Unless Iowa makes a commitment to put a legitimate offense on the field, they will always be a fringe team looking from the outside in.

It will certainly be interesting. Call me a traditionalist, I wish they wouldn't do these things and keep the conferences and rivalries the way they have been. But looking forward, first of all, there can only be so many conference games. Right now the SEC is at 8 and the B1G is at 9. I really don't see that changing. I also don't see the total number of games increasing either, and right now I think everyone is at 12. One would have to think that as the players gain more power that it won't be long before some sort of union and some sort of collective bargaining agreement will be put in play keeping those numbers where they are.

For Iowa, not much will change. We will end up seeing a USC or a UCLA on the schedule in place of a Rutgers or Indiana, but one would think that the core group of games and rivalries with border states will remain in place in some way shape or form. That means Iowa vs. Wisky, MN, Neb, Illinois, NW will all remain in play. I could see Purdue being moved around, but that only leaves 4 more games. Take your pick for the other 4 between everybody else.

Recruiting wise I don't know if this will have much affect at all, but could be a positive thing for Iowa. USC is a national recruiting power anyway, its not like they now have access to players they didn't have access to before. If X or Proctor wanted to go to USC they could have. Maybe, just maybe it will give Iowa some access into the talent rich west coast and pluck some skill position players? However, at the end of the day geography defines recruiting more than anything and no matter how much realignment they do with teams and conferences won't change that.

Now for the teams that are moving out of a conference into a new conference, so so much will change. They are now going to commit to 8 or 9 games with new teams that they probably didn't play before. How do they handle the other 3 or 4 games? How do they protect rivalries? Or do they? Just look at USC and UCLA, do they do anything with Oregon, or Stanford, or Washington? They probably do not want to add a team like that on top of a 9 game conference slate right? So do they just pack up and leave, telling their fan base that their closest road game is 1000 miles away and their home games are against a bunch of teams that they have no affiliation with, never followed and don't know anything about? Seems like a really really tough sell and I can't think of a reason how those teams come out better than they did going in? Just look at the teams that have moved in the past, either from another conference or as an independent: are you going to tell me that Miami, Florida State, Penn State, Nebraska, West Virginia, TCU, Missouri are all better for it? I would say they all of them were more successful before their move with respect to wins, championships and relevance, however, all of them ended up with more money. Why would anyone think that USC and UCLA will be any different?

Everyone has to keep in mind that everyone involved in making these decisions are only concerned about money. Its a CEO thing and the conference head, university heads, media heads are all judged on revenue, thats it. And for them right now the pressure is really on because it is do-or-die right now. I don't think any of the decisions that are being made right now with regards to college sports are good for the sport or the fan, and in all honesty these leaders probably know that too. But deep down they could care less because the money is too great and greed conquers all desire to do the right thing.

UCLA has gone 16-18 over the past 4 seasons (in arguably the weakest P5 conference), not exactly Alabama or tOSU. USC has gone 22-21 over the past 4 seasons..same thing.

Sure they're "blue bloods". But as we've seen with Texas, USC, Nebraska, Miami, Florida St, "past performance is no guarantee of future results".

I don't think the new potential additions make it much more difficult.

Ohio St is still the team we need to worry about. USC is on the same tier as Michigan and Penn St.(assuming Lincoln Riley gets their shit together), both of whom we beat frequently. UCLA will be a middle of the pack type team or worse.

The odds of winning a B1G title are slim, but that hasn't happened regularly during the status quo. With an expanded playoff system IA definitely can jump into that every once in a while. I think the talent level as a whole is about to go up across the board in the league. IA has the facilities and resources to try and capitalize on getting as much of that talent as possible.

UCLA has gone 16-18 over the past 4 seasons (in arguably the weakest P5 conference), not exactly Alabama or tOSU. USC has gone 22-21 over the past 4 seasons..same thing.

Sure they're "blue bloods". But as we've seen with Texas, USC, Nebraska, Miami, Florida St, "past performance is no guarantee of future results".
Lincoln Riley is already recruiting way better than his predecessor. They’ll obviously mostly be more of a finesse team and will take a few years to get more physical but they will be competitive quickly. I’m just not sure what is wrong with UCLA anymore. Just seem apathetic.

We're talking usc and UCLA not bama and georgia

Lincoln Riley is already recruiting way better than his predecessor. They’ll obviously mostly be more of a finesse team and will take a few years to get more physical but they will be competitive quickly. I’m just not sure what is wrong with UCLA anymore. Just seem apathetic.
Recruiting hasn't really been the problem, USC had the #10 class in 2016, #4 class in 2017, #4 class in 2018, #20 class in 2019. (Helton's first 4 seasons). When we beat 'em in 2019 they were loaded with talent. Their scheme was suspect and only worked in the PAC

They dropped all the way to #63 in 2020 but bounced back to #7 in 2021 and dropped #70 in 2022.(numbers from 24/7 sports). No doubt Riley will get the talent.

UCLA has been dog poo for years. USC had a good run when they were cheating their asses off but since they got off probation they've been between decent and meh. The division still goes through wisconsin.
Yeah ... the division still goes through Wisconsin. Iowa will remain a significant contender.

I think that, by and large, the Big west has a bunch of pretty "underrated" college football coaches ... Ferentz, Chryst, and even Fleck have really done fine jobs at their programs. Fitz is obviously a talented commodity at Northwestern ... once he gets the D back on track there ... they could return to being their annoying selves.

Lastly, as many have noted ... Brett has a pretty good track-record as a B1G coach. He knows how to win in this league. If he can continue the rebuilding job that Lovie was working at ... Illinois too could be a pretty annoying program (annoying insofar that they'll always give you a good tussle).

As many have said ... I look forward to seeing USC and UCLA play away games in the upper midwest. Under Fleck ... in late fall ... Minnesota is an ugly place to play. Obviously cold ... and the wind can factor BIGTIME in games. Similarly ... the Kinnick wind-tunnel in the late fall can be a passing team's nightmare. Lastly, Camp Randall always seems to be a tough place for opposing teams to win at.

One way to look at this is: does this help a school like Iowa close the talent gap between them and a tOSU?

My answer is that it very well might. If we are indeed going to two mega-conferences it is more than likely that those not in one will be viewed (by recruits) as in a division below....to translate: essentially the pool of schools that are now considered "Power 5" will be reduced from the mid 60s to 40 or less. A significant reduction in viable options for recruits with options.

Now this will probably have little effect on tOSU's of the world because, for the most part, they will be still be fighting over the same guys with each other that they are now. However, the next level of recruit will likely get split between fewer teams.

Thus, the Iowa's of the world (in theory) should be landing more of their "plan A" guys thus closing that gap some. Yeah, you might have one or two more challenging games a year but you now have a better chance of putting together one of those special years if your program is well run.

The B1G will never kick out Iowa. They are now assured to be in a conference that makes $$$$ upon $$$$, and is assured a spot in the upcoming CFP. Iowa won't have to win the B1G to get in. There are many programs that would kill to be in Iowa's position.

ADVERTISEMENT