ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's status in the New Big Ten

In some ways, going to 20/24 teams with USC/UCLA helps Iowa.
From a logistics side, the have to go 4 pods to reduce WC travel.
That means Iowas pod with MN, WI, IL,NE, NW solidifying.
Then you get crossover games. USC or UCLA in Kinnick in Oct is a lot easier than OSU/PSU/Purdue.
Then, you probably get 4 team conference playoff. Win 2 and it’s big time.
Not easy, but logistics help vs absorbing most of ACC

Due to this expansion i believe Iowa just became more of a destination school to most head coaches, which bodes well for us as we look to replace our legend in a few years.

I had not thought of it that way before. sure hope so. I am getting worried about his eventual successor too.

so, as of right now isn't he under contract for about four more years, to age 70?

A few years back there was a debate about reducing alloted # of scholarships because a handful of schools dominated the recruiting game and it was aimed at helping even out the talent pools at schools. Now let's consider the schools who may be left out of the super conferences and the combined total of 4* talent they had. Will those players find the super conferences more attractive? If so that in itself may help even out the talent pools within schools.

The bigger concern to me is that the conference will just get too big and won't feel like a conference anymore. I want to play to teams I have long-worn grudges with most Saturdays, not just anyone.

But, the variety will also be nice. I guess for me it just depends on how they balance things.
It’s like a once monogamous marriage moving into swinger mode

It’s like a once monogamous marriage moving into swinger mode
College football, like many once-cherished institutions in American society today, has been vitiated, prostituted, and bastardized so as to effect the pecuniary self-aggrandizement of its powers that be.

do not anybody even bother to look up the author of the above quote, as I am its author and am a very, very obscure unknown person.

The more teams get added, the harder it is for any one team to win the league. To answer your question, Iowa's chances went from difficult to more difficult. My hope is the playoff is expanded to 16 or 24 teams that is where teams are really judged.
This. I think without a doubt it will be time to expand the playoff system then as well......

So we're going to end up with 2 mega conferences and then a 16 team playoff of mostly teams from those to 2 conferences. Sounds great
Is that any different the what they have now, other then only 4 teams get in? Ok is in the SEC soon as well, so other then a couple of years with Clemson (who will probably end up in the next SEC expansion), who else is getting in? At least if it went to 16 teams you could see a window for an Iowa or a MSU or Wisconsin....

I think we will care less and less about conference championships as the true power leagues get stronger and larger. My guess is that the CFP will expand to 8 teams and amount to a mini ncaa tournament. The goal will be to get into the CFP, which will be dominated by B1G and SEC, along with a few outliers (e.g. Clemson, FSU, ND, Oklahoma St., etc.). I realize the champ games are now big money but see them being redundant with the playoff. There are going to be too many quality teams left out of conference championships. (think about the SEC with teams like Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Oklahoma, TAMU, etc.)

I'm sorry...but screw Wisconsin. The West goes through the defending champion...Iowa. What's wrong with you people. I know our offense couldn't fight it's way out of a wet paper bag in the game in Madison, but we won the damn West last year.

With the fact that I believe this Iowa team will be significantly better than last year's team...I don't see how anyone in their right mind wouldn't say..."The damn West Division Winner has to go through Iowa City to get it."

I think we will care less and less about conference championships as the true power leagues get stronger and larger. My guess is that the CFP will expand to 8 teams and amount to a mini ncaa tournament. The goal will be to get into the CFP, which will be dominated by B1G and SEC, along with a few outliers (e.g. Clemson, FSU, ND, Oklahoma St., etc.). I realize the champ games are now big money but see them being redundant with the playoff. There are going to be too many quality teams left out of conference championships. (think about the SEC with teams like Alabama, LSU, Florida, Auburn, Oklahoma, TAMU, etc.)
Maybe, possibly in the short term, but if this superconference thing actually happens with the B1G and SEC both at 20 programs, it could easily set up similar to the NFC (B1G) and AFC (SEC) in terms of playoffs. Each conference has four divisions made up of five teams, the division winners take part in a four-team conference playoff, then the winners of the B1G and SEC meeting in a championship game. If this thing goes where many think it's going, the NCAA and CFP are essentially going to be neutered by the B1G, SEC, and TV/streaming networks.

Is that any different the what they have now, other then only 4 teams get in? Ok is in the SEC soon as well, so other then a couple of years with Clemson (who will probably end up in the next SEC expansion), who else is getting in? At least if it went to 16 teams you could see a window for an Iowa or a MSU or Wisconsin....
No one complains about the NFL with 32 teams and a sub-set of those teams getting in the playoffs. Big 10 and SEC expand, 16 or 24-team playoff with no auto bids, you can include good teams from other conferences that can get in too. But no auto-bids for Big 12 with no Texas and Oklahoma, and no auto-bids for a Pac-12 without USC and UCLA, or Oregon if they are no longer in the league.

ADVERTISEMENT