Iowa's Transfer Portal Recruiting Strategy More "Complex" Than the Offense?

ellobo

Scout Team
Jul 30, 2002
One thing that might (or might not) be an issue, for you guys, is some schools won't issue a degree to a student unless they take e at least half their credits at that school - and don't give exceptions to student athletes. That essentially limits those schools to only take players after their first year or grad transfers (unless they just don't care if kids graduate). I don't know if Iowa is one of those schools but it is a possibility.

IowasLaw

Team MVP
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2019
We don’t get 4-5 stars often. It has improved over the last 2 cycles. IowasLaw complained that Phil can’t identify quality talent, that’s what I meant.
No one, not IowaLaw or anyone else, has ever complained about Phil can't identify talent. It's one thing to be a moron, another to be a homer, but quite another to be a liar who lacks integrity. Which category do you fall under, CentralIowa?

HawkeyeInCentralIowa

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2019
I-O-W-A
No one, not IowaLaw or anyone else, has ever complained about Phil can't identify talent. It's one thing to be a moron, another to be a homer, but quite another to be a liar who lacks integrity. Which category do you fall under, CentralIowa?
"@Mohawk37 ; @HawkeyeInCentralIowa - You don't see a problem with a Big 10 program relying upon sophomore walk ons at a position of strength? With 85 available scholarships for just 22 positions, it shows a serious flaw both in recruiting and development."

You went on to then complain about "would be seniors" who left the program and complained about the the recruiting strategy Phil takes. So I'm not a liar by any means, dumbass.

HawkOn15

HR MVP
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2015

Just blatantly false.

4. Safety Recruiting Whiffs. Walk-on Jack Koerner has been a tremendous feel good story for the Hawks. He grew up wanting to be a Hawk, Phil Parker didn't offer him a scholarship, so he paid his own way to come to Iowa. 29 starts later, he's made himself a durable all-Big 10 caliber safety. After 3 years, he finally misses a game due to injury. Surely there's a stable of recruits on the bench ready to come in and replace him, right? Welp...sophomore walk-on Quinn Schulte was the next man in?? C'mon. When a team has 85 scholarship players and is known for putting defensive backs in the league, there's no excuse for the team relying on walk-on safeties at such an important position year in and year out.

IowasLaw

Team MVP
Gold Member
Nov 19, 2019
The guy wants to call me a liar, and then denies the fact he said that. He's an idiot.
LOL!! By definition, walk-ons were not "identified by Phil or anyone on staff." They were not offered scholarships and who came to Iowa because they wanted to be Hawks and their parents were willing to pay their way.

There is nothing remotely debatable about the IowaLaw paragraph quoted. The Hawks have had great success with walkons, as Law noted. Yet when you have 85 scholarships to give out, offer scholarships to dozens of safeties over the years, and still end up relying on walkons year after year at the same position, you have failed to recruit and develop scholarship safeties and instead relied upon developing guys that no one, not even Iowa, wanted coming out of hs.

To conflate the obvious lack of success recruiting safeties and forced reliance on walkon safeties with "Phil (Iowa's best coach) doesn't know how to identify talent" is disingenuous. It's below even the marginal intellect of HawkeyeinCentralIowa. For that reason, my guess is it's an integrity issue and a lack of common sense.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15

HawkOn15

HR MVP
Gold Member
Oct 19, 2015
LOL!! By definition, walk-ons were not "identified by Phil or anyone on staff." They were not offered scholarships and who came to Iowa because they wanted to be Hawks and their parents were willing to pay their way.

There is nothing remotely debatable about the IowaLaw paragraph quoted. The Hawks have had great success with walkons, as Law noted. Yet when you have 85 scholarships to give out, offer scholarships to dozens of safeties over the years, and still end up relying on walkons year after year at the same position, you have failed to recruit and develop scholarship safeties and instead relied upon developing guys that no one, not even Iowa, wanted coming out of hs.

To conflate the obvious lack of success recruiting safeties and forced reliance on walkon safeties with "Phil (Iowa's best coach) doesn't know how to identify talent" is disingenuous. It's below even the marginal intellect of HawkeyeinCentralIowa. For that reason, my guess is it's an integrity issue and a lack of common sense.
Oh my god how do you keep saying something even more dumb is a miracle. Do you really think they just give out PWO’s to anyone. Phil absolutely identifies walkons and by your logic Phil wasted time identifying and recruiting Koerner. If the walkon safeties are better than the scholarship DBs the moment they get on campus did they really fail to develop them?

HawkeyeInCentralIowa

HR Heisman
Gold Member
Sep 14, 2019
I-O-W-A

Explain how a walk on developing better than scholarship players is a developmental issue? You continue to double down on stupidity. Very few on this board take you seriously, because we all recognize you for what you are. When Kenyon Murray loses his temper on you, you should know that you’re an idiot.