ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Transfer Portal Recruiting Strategy More "Complex" Than the Offense?

One thing that might (or might not) be an issue, for you guys, is some schools won't issue a degree to a student unless they take e at least half their credits at that school - and don't give exceptions to student athletes. That essentially limits those schools to only take players after their first year or grad transfers (unless they just don't care if kids graduate). I don't know if Iowa is one of those schools but it is a possibility.

We don’t get 4-5 stars often. It has improved over the last 2 cycles. IowasLaw complained that Phil can’t identify quality talent, that’s what I meant.
No one, not IowaLaw or anyone else, has ever complained about Phil can't identify talent. It's one thing to be a moron, another to be a homer, but quite another to be a liar who lacks integrity. Which category do you fall under, CentralIowa?

Reactions: Dr.PhilSuess
No one, not IowaLaw or anyone else, has ever complained about Phil can't identify talent. It's one thing to be a moron, another to be a homer, but quite another to be a liar who lacks integrity. Which category do you fall under, CentralIowa?
"@Mohawk37 ; @HawkeyeInCentralIowa - You don't see a problem with a Big 10 program relying upon sophomore walk ons at a position of strength? With 85 available scholarships for just 22 positions, it shows a serious flaw both in recruiting and development."

You went on to then complain about "would be seniors" who left the program and complained about the the recruiting strategy Phil takes. So I'm not a liar by any means, dumbass.

Just blatantly false.

4. Safety Recruiting Whiffs. Walk-on Jack Koerner has been a tremendous feel good story for the Hawks. He grew up wanting to be a Hawk, Phil Parker didn't offer him a scholarship, so he paid his own way to come to Iowa. 29 starts later, he's made himself a durable all-Big 10 caliber safety. After 3 years, he finally misses a game due to injury. Surely there's a stable of recruits on the bench ready to come in and replace him, right? Welp...sophomore walk-on Quinn Schulte was the next man in?? C'mon. When a team has 85 scholarship players and is known for putting defensive backs in the league, there's no excuse for the team relying on walk-on safeties at such an important position year in and year out.

The guy wants to call me a liar, and then denies the fact he said that. He's an idiot.
LOL!! By definition, walk-ons were not "identified by Phil or anyone on staff." They were not offered scholarships and who came to Iowa because they wanted to be Hawks and their parents were willing to pay their way.

There is nothing remotely debatable about the IowaLaw paragraph quoted. The Hawks have had great success with walkons, as Law noted. Yet when you have 85 scholarships to give out, offer scholarships to dozens of safeties over the years, and still end up relying on walkons year after year at the same position, you have failed to recruit and develop scholarship safeties and instead relied upon developing guys that no one, not even Iowa, wanted coming out of hs.

To conflate the obvious lack of success recruiting safeties and forced reliance on walkon safeties with "Phil (Iowa's best coach) doesn't know how to identify talent" is disingenuous. It's below even the marginal intellect of HawkeyeinCentralIowa. For that reason, my guess is it's an integrity issue and a lack of common sense.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
LOL!! By definition, walk-ons were not "identified by Phil or anyone on staff." They were not offered scholarships and who came to Iowa because they wanted to be Hawks and their parents were willing to pay their way.

There is nothing remotely debatable about the IowaLaw paragraph quoted. The Hawks have had great success with walkons, as Law noted. Yet when you have 85 scholarships to give out, offer scholarships to dozens of safeties over the years, and still end up relying on walkons year after year at the same position, you have failed to recruit and develop scholarship safeties and instead relied upon developing guys that no one, not even Iowa, wanted coming out of hs.

To conflate the obvious lack of success recruiting safeties and forced reliance on walkon safeties with "Phil (Iowa's best coach) doesn't know how to identify talent" is disingenuous. It's below even the marginal intellect of HawkeyeinCentralIowa. For that reason, my guess is it's an integrity issue and a lack of common sense.
Oh my god how do you keep saying something even more dumb is a miracle. Do you really think they just give out PWO’s to anyone. Phil absolutely identifies walkons and by your logic Phil wasted time identifying and recruiting Koerner. If the walkon safeties are better than the scholarship DBs the moment they get on campus did they really fail to develop them?

Explain how a walk on developing better than scholarship players is a developmental issue? You continue to double down on stupidity. Very few on this board take you seriously, because we all recognize you for what you are. When Kenyon Murray loses his temper on you, you should know that you’re an idiot.

And there you have it. The first depth chart of the summer has been released. The gaping holes that were evident after last season were never filled.

Iowa reloaded at WR by...losing Tracey & Charlie Jones to the transfer portal and replacing them with NO ONE from the portal. As a result, freshmen walk-on from a Class A Iowa high school, Alec Wick, is listed in the two deeps. lol He had zero scholarship offers coming out of high school a year ago. Probably a nice kid, but am I wrong in saying this is the least formidable WR out of any Big 10 school's media day two deeps? Why would Kirk go out and bring in a mid-major WR from the portal when he could instead recruit a 3rd string TE to come in and block when LaPorta needs a breather?

How about at kicker? After graduating back to back studs, no transfer portal is necessary, right? The Hawks reload with Aaron Blom out of Oskaloosa to come in and win those tight 13-10 games this year. He went 12-23 on field goals his soph through senior years in high school, so why not hand him the job at a contender for a Big 10 title?

Many on this board firmly agree with anything Kirk does and blindly have no problem with his inept transfer portal strategy. The proof will be in the pudding when the pass game sputters and the Hawks miss some gimme field goals in close games. Both issues could have been easily improved upon by picking up some decent kids from the portal.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
And there you have it. The first depth chart of the summer has been released. The gaping holes that were evident after last season were never filled.

Iowa reloaded at WR by...losing Tracey & Charlie Jones to the transfer portal and replacing them with NO ONE from the portal. As a result, freshmen walk-on from a Class A Iowa high school, Alec Wick, is listed in the two deeps. lol He had zero scholarship offers coming out of high school a year ago. Probably a nice kid, but am I wrong in saying this is the least formidable WR out of any Big 10 school's media day two deeps? Why would Kirk go out and bring in a mid-major WR from the portal when he could instead recruit a 3rd string TE to come in and block when LaPorta needs a breather?

How about at kicker? After graduating back to back studs, no transfer portal is necessary, right? The Hawks reload with Aaron Blom out of Oskaloosa to come in and win those tight 13-10 games this year. He went 12-23 on field goals his soph through senior years in high school, so why not hand him the job at a contender for a Big 10 title?

Many on this board firmly agree with anything Kirk does and blindly have no problem with his inept transfer portal strategy. The proof will be in the pudding when the pass game sputters and the Hawks miss some gimme field goals in close games. Both issues could have been easily improved upon by picking up some decent kids from the portal.
now you put yourself in a position to root against the Hawkeyes.

1. This isn’t even the gameday depth chart, so pretty early and honesty dumb to act like this is what you’ll see come the first day

2. Why do you consistently hold a grudge against walk ons? Many of the best players to rep the black and gold originally didn’t come here on scholarship.

3. You’re gonna complain about us not picking up a transfer kicker? Sorry, but there’s no way you know better than quite literally the best ST coach in the country. That alone makes this message by you worthless.

Reactions: Ree4 and F5n5
Acting as if it's an insight to criticize Kirk and his intern son for lack of creativity is pretty cute.

I'm sure you're already making plans on bumping this thread with a lawyerly "told you so" if they lose a game by a field goal.

Whatever gets you off, I guess.

Everyone loves lawyers though. For the most part, nothing but a huge drag on the economy.

At one point about 15 years ago there were more students in law school in the US than there were practicing attorneys in all of the Group of 30 (developed) countries combined. Lawyers in this country are mostly neoliberal tools, feeding off of people who actually create and build things, who actually go out and solve problems. And mostly they act like tools too. Some attorneys who don't chase money and status do great good though: human rights, women's rights, child advocacy, a tiny minority of legislators who have integrity, etc.

1. This isn’t even the gameday depth chart, so pretty early and honesty dumb to act like this is what you’ll see come the first day

2. Why do you consistently hold a grudge against walk ons? Many of the best players to rep the black and gold originally didn’t come here on scholarship.

3. You’re gonna complain about us not picking up a transfer kicker? Sorry, but there’s no way you know better than quite literally the best ST coach in the country. That alone makes this message by you worthless.
I like to lol at law, BUT

2. many? I'd disagree... Maybe we have different definitions of "best" or "many"

3. It is his choice if we get a kicker? I have no idea if our next kicker is good but I'm pretty sure lw doesn't get to decide if we replace them.

Either way, one thing is certain...kf certainly did his son dirty this off season lol

2. many? I'd disagree... Maybe we have different definitions of "best" or "many"

3. It is his choice if we get a kicker? I have no idea if our next kicker is good but I'm pretty sure lw doesn't get to decide if we replace them.

Either way, one thing is certain...kf certainly did his son dirty this off season lol
Woods might not get to make the final decision, but he most definitely has a say in whether or not they should pursue one. After all, he is the coach that will work with that position the majority of the time.

I should probably rephrase, we’ve had multiple walk ons turn into very solid players.

Kirk's portal strategy is puzzling if you want to be generous.

All coaches want to win and KF is no exception. But some coaches actually have consequences if they don't make improvements. Kirk is the very rare coach for whom there are really no significant negative career outcomes no matter how the season goes. How great a position is that to be in; win or lose entirely on the terms that you dictate?
that is certainly true being that the entire offensive staff returns after last season

I mean recruiting is a 2 way street. Kids have to actually want to come here. Iowa pursued several transfers at several different positions and not many were interested. Recruiting at Iowa is always going to be tough and transfer especially so due to demand and supply. Just the way it is.

I mean recruiting is a 2 way street. Kids have to actually want to come here. Iowa pursued several transfers at several different positions and not many were interested. Recruiting at Iowa is always going to be tough and transfer especially so due to demand and supply. Just the way it is.
money replaced supply and demand this offseason

Ferentz is supportive of players earning money on their name, image and likeness once they get to campus, but said the idea of schools bidding for players coming out of high school combined with proposed legislation to ensure that players can transfer as many times as they want isn't good for anybody.

"So you go into the portal, you come back in my office and say, 'I got a deal for, let's say, $250,000,'" Ferentz said. "How do I know that's right? We have no way of knowing. Is that what his adviser is telling him? There's a lot of that going on already, and I don't know where it ends."

There have been a lot of really strong walk-ons over the years. Just off the top of my head:

Dallas Clark (arguably the best Iowa TE, certainly top 3-5)
Sean Considine
Derek Pagel
Brett Greenwood
Kevin Kasper (left as Iowa’s all-time leading receiver)
Jake Gervase
Bruce Nelson

I guess it depends on “many”. If you look at just walk-ons that became starters, there would be a lot more, but there are some Super Bowl rings in that group, some all-time Iowa position leaders and a lot of years in the NFL. I’m sure I’m missing some other obvious ones.

There have been a lot of really strong walk-ons over the years. Just off the top of my head:

Dallas Clark (arguably the best Iowa TE, certainly top 3-5)
Sean Considine
Derek Pagel
Brett Greenwood
Kevin Kasper (left as Iowa’s all-time leading receiver)
Jake Gervase
Bruce Nelson

I guess it depends on “many”. If you look at just walk-ons that became starters, there would be a lot more, but there are some Super Bowl rings in that group, some all-time Iowa position leaders and a lot of years in the NFL. I’m sure I’m missing some other obvious ones.
Some great hawks have been walk ons...no doubt. I wouldn't say many of our greats were walk ons.

What qb and wr did we pursue hard?

Some great hawks have been walk ons...no doubt. I wouldn't say many of our greats were walk ons.
Again, it comes down to “many”. Clark was an all-timer at TE, especially if you factor in his NFL career. Kasper is still among the all-time leaders in receptions and while it’s harder to measure, Considine is someone I consider to be an all-time special teams player plus he was good enough at safety to spend 8 years in the NFL.

Again, it comes down to “many”. Clark was an all-timer at TE, especially if you factor in his NFL career. Kasper is still among the all-time leaders in receptions and while it’s harder to measure, Considine is someone I consider to be an all-time special teams player plus he was good enough at safety to spend 8 years in the NFL.
Indeed. Apparently a small percentage is "many" to some ;)

Indeed. Apparently a small percentage is "many" to some ;)
I think it stands out because it’s fairly uncommon and it’s really easy to remember the outliers. I would be interested to see how many walk-ons eventually become starters (I’ll exclude kickers)….but when “grayshirting” is a thing, it can skew the numbers since those guys come in as recruits with an agreement in pencil that they’ll be up for a scholly when one opens up.

Each year, the roster contains 25+ walk-ons. Most will never see the field. The fact that Dallas Clark walked on in 1998 and turned out great does not absolve the staff from failing to identify holes in the 2022 Iowa football roster and make a concerted effort to find at least 1 WR out of the hundreds in the portal who can beat out a freshmen walk-on for a spot on the two deeps. Same goes for kicker. There wasn't one capable guy out there who could beat out the kid listed as starter (who wasn't even that great in high school)?

The issue is effort by the coaching staff and a lack of foresight. The issue is not that walk-ons are bad kids, don't work hard, and don't sometimes produce.

that is certainly true being that the entire offensive staff returns after last season
I don't know that Kirk really cares, but by hiring Brian he's put himself in a no-win possession with respect to personnel management. He's not going to fire his son regardless of how poorly the offense performs. If they let another offensive assistant go it will appear to the outside world as though they're protecting Brian by sacrificing someone else.

In short, Iowa football is not a family business and the scrutiny and stakes are high. It would have been a good idea to bring in some fresh offensive ideas from an experienced OC outside the family. I'm a Kirk fan, but hiring Brian and then promoting him into this position was really a risky/bad personnel move in my opinion. I say this even if it works out in the end and knowing fully well that it happens in other places as well as Iowa.

Are you suggesting you know more than the staff? If we offer a TE, it means they have a world of potential. A seasoned OL? Do you not realize we’re pursuing a replacement for Linderbaum? And I wouldn’t worry about the defense period. Phil knows what he’s doing.
Long before signing day, it was obvious to most (other than Kirk, Brian, and @HawkeyeInCentralIowa ) that Iowa was absolutely blowing a golden opportunity to fill gaping holes in the offensive lineup by bringing in grad transfers at OL, WR, and QB. You didn't have to be a fortune teller to see it...you just needed basic football knowledge and a touch of common sense.

The staff (and centraliowa) thought it best instead to keep their heads in the sand. Who needs WRs when you've you can play Wick. Who needs QBs when you've got Petras. Who needs OL when you've got a team of matadors who grade out as last in the Big 10? Instead, let's just bring in a grad transfer tight end (who has played 6 snaps this season on special teams).

You reap what you sow. In the meantime, every team Iowa has played this year has had success with grad transfers in their starting lineups. Up next, Ohio State. They're starting 2 grad transfers on defense and their kicker is a grad transfer. Clearly grad transfer recruiting is just a flash in the pan and will never last...

Long before signing day, it was obvious to most (other than Kirk, Brian, and @HawkeyeInCentralIowa ) that Iowa was absolutely blowing a golden opportunity to fill gaping holes in the offensive lineup by bringing in grad transfers at OL, WR, and QB. You didn't have to be a fortune teller to see it...you just needed basic football knowledge and a touch of common sense.

The staff (and centraliowa) thought it best instead to keep their heads in the sand. Who needs WRs when you've you can play Wick. Who needs QBs when you've got Petras. Who needs OL when you've got a team of matadors who grade out as last in the Big 10? Instead, let's just bring in a grad transfer tight end (who has played 6 snaps this season on special teams).

You reap what you sow. In the meantime, every team Iowa has played this year has had success with grad transfers in their starting lineups. Up next, Ohio State. They're starting 2 grad transfers on defense and their kicker is a grad transfer. Clearly grad transfer recruiting is just a flash in the pan and will never last...
You’re an idiot. The staff was trying to replace the holes on the OL. And I don’t believe the coaches predicted the amount of WR injuries we would have, or the Jones transfer.

Once again, you don’t know what you’re talking about.

A lot of you guys owe @IowasLaw an apology.
fart GIF

Spot on article in nebraska about the laziness and hubris of Kirk skipping out on the portal while the rest of the big 10 west loaded up.

When the rules relaxed and transfer portal recruiting burst onto the scene last year, Iowa knew it had some holes to fill on the offensive line, at QB, and at WR. The defense was already stacked, in particular, at DB, and just needed some key offensive players to support them.

So while the average Big 10 team brought in 4-6 portal kids to immediately plug holes in the starting lineup, Kirk's brain trust sat on their hands and brought in just 1 transfer...a cornerback (by far Iowa's deepest position) from IAA UNI, to play behind the Big 10 defensive back of the year and 3 others. As expected, the nonsensical recruiting strategy failed. Iowa still struggled at QB, OL, and WR...relying on a mishmash of true freshmen and guys who just weren't ready, and the 1 grad transfer used his scholarship to fill a gap on the bench. Well played, staff.

Next year, the staff has an opportunity to learn from their mistakes. There are obvious holes in the lineup at kicker (where Kirk appears content putting all our eggs in the basket of a walkon high school kid), OL (we lose our top 2 OL), QB (have the worst returning QB in the Big 10), WR, DL (top DL going pro), and safety (lose both Koerner and Belton). As strengths, the Hawks return one of the nation's top tight ends. They also return their top Bowl game performers, the two Williams running backs who appeared just as good as Goodson, and have two 4 star RBs coming in next year.

So who has the staff offered in the portal over the past month? A D-3 tight end and a RB from Stanford? What holes, exactly, would either be filling? Aren't there 15+ positions where there's greater need?

So what is Kirk's transfer portal strategy, exactly? Maybe that's the problem with hiring your son-in-law as recruiting coordinator. He has no discernable transfer portal strategy other than...wait until a transfer calls us, then listen (i.e. Charlie Jones had to beg to walk-on).

Let's be clear, the staff's current strategy is not intended to be "loyal to current players" as some have theorized. If that were the intent, they wouldn't recruit elite high school kids like Xavier who can beat out upper classmen. A transfer portal kid is no different than an incoming freshmen who is good enough to play.

Let's dispel another another myth used to justify the poor transfer portal recruiting, the portal is "only used to fill needs" at a developmental program. The guys they are offering not needs guys. A QB who can complete 65% of his passes is a need guy. A seasoned OL is a need guy. A TE? C'mon man.

This week alone, Michigan State picked up a stud from Georgia. Wisconsin picked up an all-Pac 12 corner from UCLA. Ohio State picked up a safety from Oklahoma State. Is our staff on vacation?

Well done @IowasLaw …Prophetic. Everyone who laugh emoji’s your post has a heap of crow to eat and should be embarassed they don’t remove the laugh emoji in retrospect. This is an area of weakness our heavily overcompensated staff need to address stat.

I appreciate your contributions to this board. They are refreshing in a sea of homer nonsense.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT