ADVERTISEMENT

Iowa's Wide Receivers

Jones is a threat and a half both downfield and on jet sweeps. Guy is a playmaker and you gotta have them on the field, as I expect the Hawks will. It was a pretty minor quote by KF, but he did go out of his way after the great MSU game Jones had last year to say “He’s a pretty good player on offense, too, so you’ll see him keep working forward that way, as well.” Not exactly a guarantee of a future starting role, but definitely an indicator that we have plans of incorporating him into the offense at some point

Include me too as big Jones fan!! He's been very impressive

You can't be serious. There is much, much less correlation between catching a basketball and catching a football, but almost total correlation between catching a spinning vs a tumbling football. The shape does appear to make the difference. The "why" has not been answered, but it's been theorized that the brain
processes differently. But football hands are football hands.

I don't know much about Hester but it's important to note that while hands are an important
factor for a receiver, it's not the only important factor.
Again no correlation between catching punts and passes. Whoever is catching the ball uses completely different techniques. So it is impossible to say Jones has the second best hands in the WR core without seeing him catch a pass.

Reactions: hawkandroll
Again no correlation between catching punts and passes. Whoever is catching the ball uses completely different techniques. So it is impossible to say Jones has the second best hands in the WR core without seeing him catch a pass.

It's not just techniques. It's largely an innate ability. There are many who work very hard on technique but never develop into good receivers.

I said that rating was subjective, but if you can't see, based his punt receptions and based on enough prior success at Buffalo as a pass receiver for both he and Iowa to think he could do the same here, then it seems you are just arguing to be argumentative.

Reactions: KatoHawk
Some good points, but let's get back to the WR position. Your reason for his lack of WR playing time is his being the 5th WR.
Looking at the WR skill sets, his ranking among the 5 seemed to be:
hands #1
speed #2
elusiveness #2
blocking ?
experience #5
That of course is subjective, but it would suggest that if he really was #5 (doubtful), the separation was not sufficient to deny him any opportunity.
Ragaini arguably among Iowa's WRs had the best hands ... at least in terms of consistency. The problem is that since he's the "slot guy" ... he still needs to do a better job of holding onto the ball after absorbing jarring hits.

Obviously Brandon and Ihmir were the "experienced" guys ... being our SRs. However, Ragaini and Tracy were both RS SOs ... who both played some quality snaps as TR FR. Thus, Ragaini and Tracy were guys who had been in our system - LEARNING OUR O through 3 years. Last year, Jones was forced to sit out ... so he was mostly stuck getting scout-team reps. Knowing the O and having the trust of the QB are HUGE.

I agree with you that IF Jones had the benefit of a "normal" spring camp and fall-camp last year ... I believe that he would have been a #5 WR who likely could have earned more positional reps. However, COVID greatly diminished Jones's opportunity to become more "fluent" with our offense. And, if a guy isn't on the same page as the QB ... he's going to be far less likely to contribute in a meaningful way.

My guess is that Jones's blocking was probably decent ... Buffalo likes to run the ball ... so he must have learned it there. Furthermore, on the scout team, you have to block the DBs in that context too.

I would suppose that Jones probably rates pretty high on most other metrics ... but the experience one ... particularly as it relates to KNOWING our offense (fluently) ... was the most important point that you highlighted.

I love Johnson don't get me wrong, but I think the other two are just more complete players right now. To be fair, I am basing that off about 7 minutes of film a piece. I just didn't see Keegan used in a wide range of ways like Bruce. Brecht will be able to stand out with his size and he times his catches so well.
Nah...Brecht will get 4 games in and that's it.

Ragaini arguably among Iowa's WRs had the best hands ... at least in terms of consistency. The problem is that since he's the "slot guy" ... he still needs to do a better job of holding onto the ball after absorbing jarring hits.

Obviously Brandon and Ihmir were the "experienced" guys ... being our SRs. However, Ragaini and Tracy were both RS SOs ... who both played some quality snaps as TR FR. Thus, Ragaini and Tracy were guys who had been in our system - LEARNING OUR O through 3 years. Last year, Jones was forced to sit out ... so he was mostly stuck getting scout-team reps. Knowing the O and having the trust of the QB are HUGE.

I agree with you that IF Jones had the benefit of a "normal" spring camp and fall-camp last year ... I believe that he would have been a #5 WR who likely could have earned more positional reps. However, COVID greatly diminished Jones's opportunity to become more "fluent" with our offense. And, if a guy isn't on the same page as the QB ... he's going to be far less likely to contribute in a meaningful way.

My guess is that Jones's blocking was probably decent ... Buffalo likes to run the ball ... so he must have learned it there. Furthermore, on the scout team, you have to block the DBs in that context too.

I would suppose that Jones probably rates pretty high on most other metrics ... but the experience one ... particularly as it relates to KNOWING our offense (fluently) ... was the most important point that you highlighted.

In 2019 Petros was the backup QB and Jones was the only backup WR among those being discussed.
Therefore the two of them would have been on the same page more so than any other QB/WR combination going into 2020, especially with no 2020 spring practice.

In 2019 Petros was the backup QB and Jones was the only backup WR among those being discussed.
Therefore the two of them would have been on the same page more so than any other QB/WR combination going into 2020, especially with no 2020 spring practice.
Petras was the #2 QB back in '19 ... he would have been working with the 2nd team.
Jones was setting out the year ... would have been working with the scout team (likely exclusively). That's not to say that they didn't work some together ... probably not as much as you would have expected though.

Reactions: HawkOn15
I love Johnson don't get me wrong, but I think the other two are just more complete players right now. To be fair, I am basing that off about 7 minutes of film a piece. I just didn't see Keegan used in a wide range of ways like Bruce. Brecht will be able to stand out with his size and he times his catches so well.
Don't underestimate the importance of getting quality reps with the QB. The fact that Brecht won't be joining the team until late (because of baseball) ... that will likely impact his chances as it relates to seeing the field early.

As another poster alluded ... should he impress and should me learn the O well ... he might yet get to see action in the 4-games. However, Copeland has been doing quite a good job of developing a quality WR room.

Reactions: Hawk94Mn
Don't underestimate the importance of getting quality reps with the QB. The fact that Brecht won't be joining the team until late (because of baseball) ... that will likely impact his chances as it relates to seeing the field early.

As another poster alluded ... should he impress and should me learn the O well ... he might yet get to see action in the 4-games. However, Copeland has been doing quite a good job of developing a quality WR room.

I think you may be overestimating the importance of those reps. It's not like we have an intricately timed passing game and are throwing receivers open. If a receiver can get open (remember Douglas as a true freshman) and the QB has a good enough vision to find him (Tate), we think we are in high clover.

I think you may be overestimating the importance of those reps. It's not like we have an intricately timed passing game and are throwing receivers open. If a receiver can get open (remember Douglas as a true freshman) and the QB has a good enough vision to find him (Tate), we think we are in high clover.
Actually, listen to Ken O'Keefe sometime. A really big part of our passing game really is premised upon timing.

Part of what helped with Douglas's impressive FR campaign was the fact that he had a wily SR QB throwing him the ball. However, even part that was attributable to the fact that Herb Grigsby was a dud ... and Drew had to get the ball to somebody other than Chandler. Brodell at least finished the season strong ...

Reactions: HawkOn15
Coach Copeland (or, whoever recruits AZ for the Hawks) needs to get on this kid:

Salpointe Catholic always contends for AZ state championships, and graduates outstanding young men and women. He has four offers (AZ, HI, TCU, & Purdon't).

Can someone remind me - I think 2 years ago I thought either Tracy or Ragani dropped a lot of passes and didn't have good hands. Which one has 'stickier' hands now?

Can someone remind me - I think 2 years ago I thought either Tracy or Ragani dropped a lot of passes and didn't have good hands. Which one has 'stickier' hands now?
I think Ragaini was considered as the one with somewhat better hands. I don't think either guy necessarily was considered as having "bad hands" ... both guys got the ball dislodged more than was ideal ... but that is going to happen to young guys too (particularly guys trying to make plays over the middle).

With the loss of ISM & Brandon Smith it appeared that we might drop down a bit in 2021, but after reviewing who's still on the roster, I believe that Coach Copeland has done an outstanding job at amassing a wonderful group of replacements for both young men.

Nico, who has done a great job of learning to get separation within 10 yards, will play a big role, as will Tyrone.

Personally, I'm excited to see how the big 6-3 WRs (Wagner, Ritter, and Hudson) pan out; and Senior Charlie Jones will certainly impress B1G fans.

If these guys can (a) get some quick separation; and (b) Spencer can deliver the ball to them quickly, Iowa might become both T.E.U. and W.R.U. in the next five years.

Great post! TY!

Tracy dropped a few passes early on. Seemed to be distracted. Not uncommon for a young player.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT