ADVERTISEMENT

iPhone 8 will likely cost $1000

Wasn't the previous ones like $950? $50 more doesn't seem like a big deal

This is a Want that has unfortunately become a Need. People buying new phones for their families with unlimited data makes me scratch my head.

I've found my recent phones have lasted significantly longer than they did 5-10 years ago. I'm very comfortable paying that if the phone is going to last me a long time as I've experienced with my IPhone 6

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
I have a free phone that work pays for. Suckers.

I was planning on upgrading to this in the fall as my iPhone 6 will be three years old. But at that price I'd have to reconsider. As we'd upgrade my wife's too The only thing wrong with my current one is the battery drains a lot faster now. I could probably swap that out with a new battery from ifixit for $20 and be happy. I splurged and bought the 128GB version which has definitely extended the usable life compared to the previous models I owned.

I have to say that starting the pricing at 1000 will be a mistake. Going over that threshold is something a lot of people won't be willing to do. There's talk about them keeping a cheaper version around but we'll see how well that does. Most people look at phones as a 2-3 year purchase. 1000 pushes into laptop territory where people keep those for 5 years or more. Heck my MacBook is 8.5 years old and still doing well after putting a SSD in it.

I was planning on upgrading to this in the fall as my iPhone 6 will be three years old. But at that price I'd have to reconsider. As we'd upgrade my wife's too The only thing wrong with my current one is the battery drains a lot faster now. I could probably swap that out with a new battery from ifixit for $20 and be happy. I splurged and bought the 128GB version which has definitely extended the usable life compared to the previous models I owned.

I have to say that starting the pricing at 1000 will be a mistake. Going over that threshold is something a lot of people won't be willing to do. There's talk about them keeping a cheaper version around but we'll see how well that does. Most people look at phones as a 2-3 year purchase. 1000 pushes into laptop territory where people keep those for 5 years or more. Heck my MacBook is 8.5 years old and still doing well after putting a SSD in it.

WTF!!??? Those are THAT cheap!?

Hell, I'll hang onto my 6s for another few years now.....
That's a good link/resource:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPhone

Looks like you also need to buy several tools as well, so may be another $20-30 in special tools needed. Might be cheaper/easier to have one of the 3rd party local places do it, but really really good info here....

FYI....it's $60 out here for Batteries Plus to replace a 6s battery w/ warranty.
The additional $20-30 in supplies/parts you need makes it almost cheaper to have them do that instead of wasting the time and money on the tools that you're only going to use a couple times. If you have lots of gadgets you want to maintain yourself, that may make sense to DIY. But I'll probably just go to one of the local 3rd party places and have folks that have done it 50-100 times instead of fumbling around myself....

That ifixit site is really good for a few things, though - much more than just phones.

WTF!!??? Those are THAT cheap!?

Hell, I'll hang onto my 6s for another few years now.....
That's a good link/resource:
https://www.ifixit.com/Device/iPhone

Looks like you also need to buy several tools as well, so may be another $20-30 in special tools needed. Might be cheaper/easier to have one of the 3rd party local places do it, but really really good info here....
The 20 dollar kit has everything you need to replace the battery for an iPhone 6. Tools included.

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-6-Replacement-Battery/IF268-002-4

Looks like the 6s kit is 27.
https://www.ifixit.com/Store/iPhone/iPhone-6s-Replacement-Battery/IF314-011-3

I've found my recent phones have lasted significantly longer than they did 5-10 years ago. I'm very comfortable paying that if the phone is going to last me a long time as I've experienced with my IPhone 6

My 6 will be 3 when the next gen is released. I'll preorder if it checks the boxes of what I expect.

I've had 3 iPhones and never an issue. Love the interoperability and quality of Apples ecosystem, even at the extra $$$.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT