ADVERTISEMENT

iPhone for Travel Questions...

NoleATL

HB Legend
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2007
We're heading to the pickpocket capital of the world (Spain) for 2 weeks in a few weeks. Looking for a phone solution where we won't worry if it gets stolen with regards to both the value and the phone contents. We wouldn't load all of our banking apps etc and would just use it for gps, maps, texting and emergency calling. Does anyone know if the below linked phone could be used with a local Spain sim/esim? Has anyone ever bought one of these used phones from Amazon? Any other solutions for what we're trying to do?

I am currently in the southern coast of Spain. Have not seen 1 issue with pickpockets or crime. In fact I feel so very safe here.
We've had 2 friends lose phones and 1 a wallet... all to pick pockets. I was with one when the phone was lifted. Barcelona for the phones, Madrid for the wallet. We'll be in Madrid part of the time and busy bars on Costa Blanca where they can be active. Edit to add: Just google Barcelona or Madrid and pickpockets

you gotta out smart the thieves

f6297543-e5ef-4e7c-914c-53b97852e5d7.jpg

Please tell me what precautions they took? Money belt or just put their stuff in their back pocket?
Front pocket for the one we were present for but that wasn't my question. Your question supports the fact that pickpockets are a problem there.

Reactions: desihawk
I have seen no pickpockets here in Marbella. Don't know about Barcelona. Heading to Madrid on Saturday.
Avoid the cheap beer stands on the street. Thats where our friend's wallet got lifted. Missed you by a few weeks. We could have had a cheap beer together and got our wallets stolen lol

Reactions: Torg
Please tell me what precautions they took? Money belt or just put their stuff in their back pocket?
If people are concerned, to avoid issues just carry your wallet/valuables in a front pocket or a money belt.

My DIL was down in Fort Lauderdale last week and she unfortunately had her iPhone stolen/lost at some point. Today, my son found her iPhone is now residing in Hong Kong through the location app. Thanks Florida, you're the best! I've never had any issues in Europe with thieves or pickpockets, that doesn't mean they don't exist, but with a moderate amount of care you should not encounter any problems.

Seems weird to me that someone wants to go to a place with the mindset knowing that they will be robbed.
Sign me up! Sounds like a fantastic time.

If people are concerned, to avoid issues just carry your wallet/valuables in a front pocket or a money belt.

My DIL was down in Fort Lauderdale last week and she unfortunately had her iPhone stolen/lost at some point. Today, my son found her iPhone is now residing in Hong Kong through the location app. Thanks Florida, you're the best! I've never had any issues in Europe with thieves or pickpockets, that doesn't mean they don't exist, but with a moderate amount of care you should not encounter any problems.
Lauderdale and more so Miami are also problem areas. Not your DIL's situation but gay bars are an even bigger target due to being crowded and its common to have people bump/rub against you when they are passing through the crowd.

Reactions: Obviously Oblivious
Takes about 17,000 gallons of jet fuel to cross Atlantic.

MAGA redneck can drive his jacked up 4x4 for multiple years on that.

Remember that the next time you want to bitch about global warming.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: NoleATL
Only half joking as I know cargo shorts aren't cool or whatever, but maybe some type of shorts with a zipper pocket for the phone like this:

11002-SN_FrontTQ_TiburonShort_2022_800x.png

I'd wear those. Heck yes.

Don't care if I don't look cool.

If you spend a lot of time outdoors those little pockets are handy! :)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT