ADVERTISEMENT

Ironside on Eierman

Gotta wonder if his former coach may have gotten involved when the possibility became a reality...

Reactions: honkey69
Per Mark Ironside on The Gym Class this afternoon.. Eierman is not eligible to compete this semester, and is planning on going 149 for next season.
I have no idea if he can technically go this year or not and if he will be at 149 or 141 , but I am not sure Ironside is correct on either of these. The 149 take sounded like a guess and what he thought he should do. The transfer take I think is just wrong. He says you have to be enrolled at a school for a whole semester before you can wrestle somewhere. I don't think that is true. He also says that Eierman has ran out of shots at making the Olympic Trails. Well there is a last chance tournament.

The guy runs his own business, and an absolute legend, so I can cut him some slack for not staying up to date on all these things.

Last edited:
So I just listened and I don’t believe that Ironside is correct on why he can’t compete this year.

I don’t think Eierman necessarily has to have been enrolled at Iowa during the fall semester to be eligible since he was on Olympic redshirt. Normally the rule is the athlete has to have been enrolled in a school for at least 6 credit hours the prior semester but this doesn’t apply during Olympic redshirts.

Here’s an article on the NCAA website that discusses how athletes can choose to pull the redshirt at any time:
https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling...ling-2020-olympic-redshirt-factor-broken-down

edit: just to be clear I have no information on what’s going to happen here.

Last edited:
Oh man why you got to go there... the fricken CHA will absolutely be nuts if that happens.....ice cream for everybody wooooooooooooooooo!

Look forward to the merry band of idiots revisiting this thread if Jaydin is our ‘41lber vs PSU.
Gobb, just looking for some clarification here. Are you saying Ironside is wrong and Eierman will start against PSU? Just trying to nail down your point with both of your posts in this thread? Not calling out. Just curious.

Reactions: Gobblin
Gobb, just looking for some clarification here. Are you saying Ironside is wrong and Eierman will start against PSU? Just trying to nail down your point with both of your posts in this thread? Not calling out. Just curious.

Key word is “if”. I have no clue.. I can’t predict the future, but I’m not ruling it out and it’d be fun to read jackasses try to call out Mark is all.

Reactions: UndercoverHawk
Yea...he was not enrolled at anyplace this last semester so if his release is c/w, he would be good to go.

Reactions: Gobblin
Let’s say for a minute Eierman is in fact eligible to wrestle for the Hawks this season, Here are the real questions?
If Jaydin is better How much better is he than Max at this point?
How much better are the odds of him winning the NCAA title over him qualifying at the last chance?
My feeling is Max is ready this year, Eierman while maybe being a slight upgrade and maybe a title contender this year, he would make more of an impact for the team at 149 next season.

Let’s say for a minute Eierman is in fact eligible to wrestle for the Hawks this season, Here are the real questions?
If Jaydin is better How much better is he than Max at this point?
How much better are the odds of him winning the NCAA title over him qualifying at the last chance?
My feeling is Max is ready this year, Eierman while maybe being a slight upgrade and maybe a title contender this year, he would make more of an impact for the team at 149 next season.
IMHO Murin is looking solid - ready to make all American this year - could land between 5-8(but hell- hasn’t been taken down yet so....) his shoulder wrap makes me nervous from an injury standpoint. Who knows where that stands.

Eierman top 3 at worst - proven title threat.

both great options

TNT may not have a choice since the Riddler... may want to wrestle now and theres no guarantee he will stay next year with his dads new position.
Said it before this is not the old Iowa TNT team and it shows......

Last edited:
Not that I have a preference but doesn’t this thread start out quoting Ironside saying that eierman plans on 149 next year? Would think that’s pretty accurate inside scoop....

So I just listened and I don’t believe that Ironside is correct on why he can’t compete this year.

I don’t think Eierman necessarily has to have been enrolled at Iowa during the fall semester to be eligible since he was on Olympic redshirt. Normally the rule is the athlete has to have been enrolled in a school for at least 6 credit hours the prior semester but this doesn’t apply during Olympic redshirts.

Here’s an article on the NCAA website that discusses how athletes can choose to pull the redshirt at any time:
https://www.ncaa.com/news/wrestling...ling-2020-olympic-redshirt-factor-broken-down

edit: just to be clear I have no information on what’s going to happen here.
There is no need for him to compete this yr. Murin is good.

TNT may not have a choice since the Joker may want to wrestle now and theres no guarantee he will stay next year with his dads new position.
Said it before this is not the old Iowa TNT team and it shows......
Listening to the Tom brands podcast. Isn’t not an option this year.

ADVERTISEMENT