ADVERTISEMENT

Is a commit from PG Brock Harding.....

There’s something to be said for Iowa being the first high major school to take a chance on a guy who it sounds like has a big chip on his shoulder. Not to mention Freeman transferring to Moline. Brock is Iowa’s to lose imo, and I’m glad that they offered

Brock and Owen have already shown some impressive highlights, if I correctly recall both on the same AAU team. Brock looks a little faster than Jordan Bo at the same age. Otherwise not drawing comparisons because against competition of a quality unknown to me it looks like Brock gets into the lane and past the initial defender.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Appears to be a reach IMO. He looks exceptionally quick and a very good ballhandler but his size will make him a match up nightmare on defense. OTOH maybe he has a another growth spurt in him yet and he shoots up another 3-4 inches and adds 25-30 pounds

In any event. I definitely see a situational spark plug role if he chooses the Hawks.

Reactions: NevadaHawk
Appears to be a reach IMO. He looks exceptionally quick and a very good ballhandler but his size will make him a match up nightmare on defense. OTOH maybe he has a another growth spurt in him yet and he shoots up another 3-4 inches and adds 25-30 pounds

In any event. I definitely see a situational spark plug role if he chooses the Hawks.
Same thing was said about another former recruit that Iowa didn't get. Sometimes quickness, dedication, ability and determination can overcome other aspects.

I feel that if the staff thinks he's worth a scholarship, that's good enough for me.

Same thing was said about another former recruit that Iowa didn't get. Sometimes quickness, dedication, ability and determination can overcome other aspects.

I feel that if the staff thinks he's worth a scholarship, that's good enough for me.
Fran has definitely earned the benefit of the doubt, I agree. Just pointing out what seems obvious, at least on the surface. The Big Ten is loaded with guards just as quick.

I like underdogs as much as the next guy, players who have a chip on their shoulder, all heart.... loved watching Bruner, Bowen, Baer et. al. Harding may fit that mold and work into a niche role.

His brother is on the baseball team.
And his parents are longtime Illini fans.

I think he goes to Iowa. I don’t see Illinois offering. Illinois has been small at guard for several years outside of Ayo. Frazier, Curbelo, Plummer are all 6-1 and it hurt Illinois occasionally. Harding is 5-10. Underwood has made a decision to go with bigger guards.

He’s a heck of a player, though. It will boil down to if he can guard in the Big Ten.

I think he goes to Iowa. I don’t see Illinois offering. Illinois has been small at guard for several years outside of Ayo. Frazier, Curbelo, Plummer are all 6-1 and it hurt Illinois occasionally. Harding is 5-10. Underwood has made a decision to go with bigger guards.

He’s a heck of a player, though. It will boil down to if he can guard in the Big Ten.
One thing I can guarantee, no matter how many minutes Brock plays, if he indeed ends up signing with Iowa, not every opposing player will be going through Mr. Harding. So in realty, he can't be blamed for every score that the opposition makes during a game. 🙄

Fran has definitely earned the benefit of the doubt, I agree. Just pointing out what seems obvious, at least on the surface. The Big Ten is loaded with guards just as quick.

I like underdogs as much as the next guy, players who have a chip on their shoulder, all heart.... loved watching Bruner, Bowen, Baer et. al. Harding may fit that mold and work into a niche role.
Your observation isn't out of line nu. I would bet on Harding being at least a contributor, he's had to play with a chip on his shoulder his whole life so he isn't going to back down. But it is an open question as to whether he can get to where he wants to on the floor/get off his shot against Big 10 guards, and whether he can defend at least at an average level. It doesn't make someone a hater if they have such questions.

I like this offer also,.. We rarely land the player that everybody else wants. We need to chase the undervalued kid with potential with the idea of coaching him up, and occasionally roll the dice on an edgy long shot...

This won't be popular but if Brock looked different I think the tone would be more positive. He is VERY quick, skilled with the ball, can shoot with range, and looks pretty bouncy. I don't know many 5'11" guys who can dunk as easy has he looks to. A lot to like. The way college hoops currently work, if he doesn't play he will transfer out. Very low risk in my opinion.

Ayo is 6'4" I think, but that's a good point, exactly why I'm skeptical about Fran offering Brock. That's a classic Fran move, recruit highly skilled players who are missing something. I thought he was on the right track recruiting taller pgs like Ulis and Bowen. I think Brock would be a great back up PG, but I hope Fran isn't planning on giving him the keys.

• Haha
Reactions: HawkOn15
This won't be popular but if Brock looked different I think the tone would be more positive. He is VERY quick, skilled with the ball, can shoot with range, and looks pretty bouncy. I don't know many 5'11" guys who can dunk as easy has he looks to. A lot to like. The way college hoops currently work, if he doesn't play he will transfer out. Very low risk in my opinion.
I think there’s some truth to that statement.

Ayo is 6'4" I think, but that's a good point, exactly why I'm skeptical about Fran offering Brock. That's a classic Fran move, recruit highly skilled players who are missing something. I thought he was on the right track recruiting taller pgs like Ulis and Bowen. I think Brock would be a great back up PG, but I hope Fran isn't planning on giving him the keys.
The keys are in Dasonte's ride

Undervalued point. Guys that can’t get playing time are going to transfer after a year or two. Low risk and potentially high payoff for Fran, taking a flyer on this kid. He will be a good teammate and potentially add something we don’t have.

It doesn’t really feel like there is a whole lot of negativity here surrounding the offer, but maybe you’re seeing more elsewhere?

Undervalued point. Guys that can’t get playing time are going to transfer after a year or two. Low risk and potentially high payoff for Fran, taking a flyer on this kid. He will be a good teammate and potentially add something we don’t have.

Speaking of something we haven't had in a long time, I said this a few days ago. IMO, whichever school Brock chooses, he's going to lead that team to a Sweet 16. He doesn't just have a chip on his shoulder; he has a bag of chips on each shoulder. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT