ADVERTISEMENT

Is being Trans a choice?

Is being Trans a choice?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Have become self-centered and absorbed in how others see them? I don't think that's a new experience within the human animal.
true. It's just way worse now.
Call it seeking glorification for themselves. In other words, perhaps as a biological male a person was indistinguishable. Maybe they thought as a girl they might garner the attention they desire. Maybe just the whole process and the possibility it gets people talking is the motivation?
Look I'm not saying there may not be some people out there who are truly biologically driven toward trans. But to totally dismiss the idea that some people are simply doing it for attention is not practical, especially in the world we live in today.

true. It's just way worse now.
Call it seeking glorification for themselves. In other words, perhaps as a biological male a person was indistinguishable. Maybe they thought as a girl they might garner the attention they desire. Maybe just the whole process and the possibility it gets people talking is the motivation?
Look I'm not saying there may not be some people out there who are truly biologically driven toward trans. But to totally dismiss the idea that some people are simply doing it for attention is not practical, especially in the world we live in today.
Okay, this is beyond absurd. Holy shit.
Is your bold type attention-seeking, or were you born bold?

Wow. I’m stunned that someone, with the whole interweb at their fingertips, would form and hold an opinion so dramatically dumb.

Oh fùck off. This shit’s been covered plenty already.

Here are my insights. First, biology evolves. And there’s more to gender and sex stuff than just the penis/vagina biology. Reducing the complexity of all this stuff to that is lazy and convenient, and conveniently lazy. A little study into how we’ve been fùcking with the human endocrine system might surprise some folks.

Second, the idea that a woman is only a woman based solely on reproductive capability is also lazy and convenient and conveniently lazy. There are social constructs, too. And then, well, some humans born with a vagina are never able to reproduce. Myriad reasons. Same with humans born with a penis.

I have to laugh because it’s not hard for people to understand some of this. Straight men, I ask you. Did you CHOOSE to be a straight man, identifying as society generally identifies men? I suspect not. It just was, and is. You knew nothing else.

My brother is gay. Not by choice. I have a trans friend. It’s not a choice.

Pretty much everything about society reinforces gender identity and sexuality things for straight born-with-a-penis men and born-with-a-vagina women. Try to imagine if it didn’t. We are bombarded all day everyday with environmental information that helps frame our world and how we see ourselves in it, including gender identity and sexuality stuff. It’s a relative privilege to “fit” easily. I enjoy it. Most of us do. It’s complex, but not hard. It’s easy to recognize and respect the complexity, and reserve space for it.
I think you are hilarious, the fact that you claim that what makes a women is NOT hormones and sex organs is pure gold, when that is exactly what makes someone a women.:D

Nature could use a redo on you, that’s for sure. Probably nurture, too.
Nah, I mean, I’d like to be more attractive, taller…. But it is what it is. Why do you embrace the genderqueer odd shit so much but have such disdain for natural order?

Interesting. Are you aware of any animals that change sex outside of reproductive pressures?

Yes. Alligators change sex based entirely on temperature alone when in the egg.

Other reef fish like Damsels and Clownfish change sex exclusively based on societal structures. Unlike wrasses which are all born female and can change at will (except for certain species with the permanent third sex), the Damsels and Clownfish are all born as male. They stay male until they reach the peak of their pack structure (like wolves they have territories and stay together in clans not schools) and when they become the alpha fish in the structure ie the oldest, biggest and/or best fighter they become females and mate with a large Selam (male harem) of boys to watch over her. It’s not based on mating success like wrasses it’s based on dominance and society pressures.

The common reed frog is an example of a purposeful hermaphrodite. Each from is born intersex with both testicular and ovarian tissue and then they choose which one to activate. They usually choose only once changing from hermaphrodite with both but underdeveloped sexes into one or the other sex. But if the frogs determine that there are too many males, a sexually mature female can grow their testes while shrinking the ovaries and after a short period become essentially males that look no different than those who chose males in the first place. Apparently they can not choose to go from male to female.

Green Banded Gobies another species I keep, seem to change sex based solely on age and size. It’s not societal, they just all start as females and all end up as males.

Reactions: gohawks50
I will say this again, one can choose to live their lives in any way they see fit. However, don't you dare tell everyone else they must make accommodations for your personal life choices. Everyone has a right to live their lives as they see fit, not just you. (referencing the transgender community)

If women feels uncomfortable using the restroom with a trans women, then the trans woman needs to go elsewhere. Transwomen post puberty should not be allowed to participate in girls sports because they are not physically equal. A trans person has no right to alter the lives of others due to their personal choices. Everyone has equal rights.
Apply this thinking to guns

My poll answer was "Yes" but it depends on the definition of "being trans."

If someone feels like they are a man trapped in a woman's body, that feeling may not be a choice. It's like some people that believe they're in a paralyzed body but they're perfectly healthy. (That's a real disorder, BTW.)

Attempting to change one's gender/biological sex, however, IS DEFINITELY a choice.

Humans have all sorts of feelings or urges that we don't act on. For example, today, I was driving and a clueless teenager cut me off and didn't react when I honked at them to avoid an accident.

15 seconds later, I was stopped behind them at a red light. My blood pressure was rising and my blood was slightly boiling.

This feeling was real and I could have acted on it, jumped out of my car, confronted them, flipped out but I chose not to.

So humans may have all sorts of feelings that we don't have to act on.

Okay, this is beyond absurd. Holy shit.
Is your bold type attention-seeking, or were you born bold?
Well apparently you’re the expert. You go right ahead believing your viewpoint is the only right one. And if you’ve been paying attention I’ve been typing the same way for the better part of a decade. Not planning on stopping cause you don’t approve .

Reactions: HawkFan1298
Nah, I mean, I’d like to be more attractive, taller…. But it is what it is. Why do you embrace the genderqueer odd shit so much but have such disdain for natural order?
Because I have family and friends and I have gotten to learn from them firsthand about their lives and why they deserve to be embraced just as much as you or I.

And lol at “natural order”.

Well apparently you’re the expert. You go right ahead believing your viewpoint is the only right one. And if you’ve been paying attention I’ve been typing the same way for the better part of a decade. Not planning on stopping cause you don’t approve .
I’ve already expressed “approval”. You’re so bad at this, bud. You can’t keep track of any of this, all flustered and threatened by it all.

We should ask this lady, if she has chosen it after 50 years of being a man and fathering three kids. Or maybe ask those closest to her if she's mentally ill. I best you get a bunch of different answers.

This person is obviously neurotic, delusional, and very clearly mentally ill.

This guise and appropriation of motherhood by this MAN is an insult to all women everywhere!

I’m offended!

Though you have apparently chosen to appear challenged.
You don't have the capacity to comprehend that suffering from gender dysphoria is psychological and not biological yet you call me challenged? Someone is suffering from little man syndrome I believe.

You don't have the capacity to comprehend that suffering from gender dysphoria is psychological and not biological yet you call me challenged? Someone is suffering from little man syndrome I believe.
Lol. Go read about hormones and gender identity and sexuality and all that. Internet. Use it.

I am pretty sure I already know how this will go. It blows my mind so many people think this or that being trans is a mental disorder. How can people have rights, if we as a society don’t even acknowledge their existence?

You know would help with trans athletes, is if they could not go through puberty as the wrong gender. If they could get on hormone therapy early. But how can they do that, when the majority of people just think they are a bunch of loons?
Like anything, this isn’t one-size-fits-all. For one, gender and gender roles are fluid for everyone. Two, gender identity isn’t necessarily rooted in biology. And three, yes, in many cases, mental health is front and center in gender dysphoria, because gender identity and gender roles are mental and societal constructs. With that said, the mental health angle is complicated and ambiguous, and more of a chicken vs. the egg debate, because feeling your biological sex doesn’t match your gender identity (which, again, is more fluid than many would like to think) would certainly generate a myriad of mental health issues compounded by the fact said person would be confronted by a lot of bigotry and hate.

In short, no, I don’t believe being transgender is a choice per se, but there are many factors in play that get conveniently overlooked by people on both sides of this debate.

Reactions: artradley
This is a friggin weird post. You are swapping sex and gender as if they are interchangeable, and making statements that are simply wrong. It is a convoluted mess.

Sex is a biological description, based on reproductive organs. A woman IS a woman based on those reproductive organs, from a biological aspect. Caitlyn Jenner is not going to a gynecologist, after all.

Gender is the social construct that is based on behaviors typically associated with one sex or the other. So it does not have nearly as objective of a definition.

Just because our definition of gender is fluid doesn’t mean biology “evolves.”
100% correct.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT