ADVERTISEMENT

Is Brian really a bad OC?

As a former college coach in a different sport, here's what I haven't seen: Adjustments based on personnel. I would think that with a thin WR room and a pretty solid TE room, we would see more multiple TE formations. Maybe even go with an extra OL from time to time. Add in a FB, and try pounding it on the ground with some play action mixed in to keep the D honest. Try some wildcat with Bruce who I believe is a former QB. Maybe I've missed it, but I don't think we've see much of these kinds of adjustments.

This! OMG this!
The opposing defenses are crashing the LOS every play regardless of where they line up. Go 22 personnel and gap block. Give the linemen a chance to get a hat on somebody. Defenses adapted to Iowa's zone blocking schemes years ago. The d linemen do not worry about gap responsibility- they penetrate because there is no threat of the QB pulling the ball and exploiting the vacated gap. They also know they won't get hurt off PA.
Man up and pound. Tomorrow will be a perfect opportunity to do this.

It really is crazy when you think about some of this. Being Kirk's son he has gotten an incredibly long leash. But, with the way the Offensive Line has played and how the injury bug has hit us, I am not sure how much better we would be with someone else noteworthy. As has been said here, the biggest thing is do either he or Kirk know what to do when faced with these obstacles (Remember NEW Kirk?) or, do they just keep repeating the same thing expecting better results? It was indeed very telling (in hindsight) that Jones transferred when he did. It sure seems he saw the writing on the wall.

Does anyone remember what he was listed on the Depth chart before he left?

I don't think where he was listed had anything to do with him transfering. He knew after spring ball Petras was the annointed one. He wasn't going to stay and get destroyed catching 3-yard outs or having the ball sail over his head. He absolutely made the right choice.

"The word is .....

Evidence of this?

Brian’s interview last week strongly suggest he’s far from satisfied from Petras as the very least. Kirks comments this week indicate there’s less than full agreement amongst the coaches as to who should start. Reading between the lines, I think it’s fair to suggest that if the decision were Brian’s, Padilla would be starting tomorrow.

Reactions: Lisbon Hawk
I'm far from an expert analyst, but it seems to me that the OL is in total disarray for two years now. Anyone else think it might not be just a coincidence that our OL coach has been here for the same two years. Granted, it is Brian and Kirk's job to manage him, but does anyone else think the primary blame may lie with the OL coach?

Reactions: Pawkhawk1 and F5n5
Brian’s interview last week strongly suggest he’s far from satisfied from Petras as the very least. Kirks comments this week indicate there’s less than full agreement amongst the coaches as to who should start. Reading between the lines, I think it’s fair to suggest that if the decision were Brian’s, Padilla would be starting tomorrow.
Yes, it is fair. But it's not a fact.

As I have stated before, if KF is overruling his OC on personnel, then he simply needs to retire. It is not a formula for success and it's frankly .... dumb. To have highly-paid experienced coaches make recommendations and have the HC, who is not watching all the time, overrule the OC is inexcusable.

That is not how a HC in today's CF should operate.

I think Brian is most likely a great position coach, when he is coaching the OL or the TE's. Is he an OC, we may never know, especially if Kirk has his hands in the offensive decisions. If this is the case NO OC is ever going to be successful at Iowa as long as Kirk is in charge. However, I think (this will never happen) that Kirk should put Brian back to the OL coach and bring in a proven OC and let the proven OC implement his offense. Brian is worth keeping in my estimation, just not as the OC.

Was Ken O'Keefe a bad OC?
Was Greg Davis a bad OC?
When have we had a good OC under Ferentz? If anyone had a chance to be a great OC during the KF era I would think it would be Brian.

Reactions: Floyd_Of_Rosedale

As I have stated before, if KF is overruling his OC on personnel, then he simply needs to retire. It is not a formula for success and it's frankly .... dumb. To have highly-paid experienced coaches make recommendations and have the HC, who is not watching all the time, overrule the OC is inexcusable.

The strong evidence is that KF has always considered himself to be the smartest guy in the room and not accepted staff input. Years ago, he talked about HIS decision on starting RBs. He fought with KOK about Stanzi. Do you think his staff is as clueless about clock management. The list of examples is very very long. He puts on the "humble act", but acts with arrogance.

It’s been said that Kirk really controls the offense, especially when word is Brian wanted to bench Petras last week but Kirk quashed it. If that’s the case, it’s hard to blame Brian for our offensive woes. At the same time, I do blame Brian for not having the guts to stand up to his dad. He needs to say “Look Dad…..I’m the OC. Let me do my job. Let me run the offense. Let me prove myself. Otherwise, after the season is over I will leave.”

If that’s *not* the case….then Brian does indeed suck as an OC.
Kirk is the problem. Doesn't matter who they bring in.

The strong evidence is that KF has always considered himself to be the smartest guy in the room and not accepted staff input. Years ago, he talked about HIS decision on starting RBs. He fought with KOK about Stanzi. Do you think his staff is as clueless about clock management. The list of examples is very very long. He puts on the "humble act", but acts with arrogance.
Spot on.

It’s been said that Kirk really controls the offense, especially when word is Brian wanted to bench Petras last week but Kirk quashed it. If that’s the case, it’s hard to blame Brian for our offensive woes. At the same time, I do blame Brian for not having the guts to stand up to his dad. He needs to say “Look Dad…..I’m the OC. Let me do my job. Let me run the offense. Let me prove myself. Otherwise, after the season is over I will leave.”

Do buttholes really smell like roses?

As a former college coach in a different sport, here's what I haven't seen: Adjustments based on personnel. I would think that with a thin WR room and a pretty solid TE room, we would see more multiple TE formations. Maybe even go with an extra OL from time to time. Add in a FB, and try pounding it on the ground with some play action mixed in to keep the D honest. Try some wildcat with Bruce who I believe is a former QB. Maybe I've missed it, but I don't think we've see much of these kinds of adjustments.
They are playing two TE's nearly every play. And a lot with the FB Pottebaum on the field. So as a result the opponent has 11 guys within 7 yards of the LOS as no one is scared of Iowa running by them. The OL is a crapshow right now. Even on plays where Iowa has numbers at the point of attack, 1-2 OL will just not block anyone and the play gets blown up.

I have seen more formation mix, counters and mixing and matching by BF than in any previous seasons. But they can't run a 3 WR formation right now as they have 1 scholarship WR playing. It's hard to play football in 2022 when you literally can't line up in a 3 WR wet. All of it is on the coaches ultimately. They recruit the players, develop them and coach them. But there literally is nothing to adjust to right now. The only improvement is if the OL gets its act together and the QB can just be accurate on the occasions when he has time and someone is open.

Reactions: BDJHawk

Rumors are he tried to leave in the offseason...

Ok, probably true. But I would still like to see that list.

There is no logic in KF having total control over the offense, but no control over the defense and special teams. Why would he do that? Why would he continue to limit the one part of the team that is traditionally underperformed.

IMO, the Stanzi thing was a nothing burger - it was 4 games until sophomore Stanzi was given the keys over a senior returning starter in JC, all the while getting lots of PT in those 4 games.

And in the last decade, what are some examples of clueless clock management? One example I remember was against a non-con opponent at the end of the half and BF owned it.

"HIS decision" on RB's" years ago? He takes ownership of staff decisions because it's his team. HC's have to be arrogant (another word for that is confident).

Fans are tired of KF and the problems on offense. I get that. But, they have also developed a personal dislike for KF, and just about every bad character trait has been applied to him. Greedy, selfish, arrogant, beyond-stubborn - do players and assistant coaches rave about a coach like that? Can a HC really survive 24 years on the sidelines with all those flaws?

Most of this vitriol is directed at the QB position. I am far from convinced that the offense would be any better with AP. Is everything that is bad about the offense KF's fault?

One final thought - WHY would BF stay here if he is really a good coach? The stain of this experience is not going to wash off.

Brian is not a good OC. KF is bad at picking OC's.

You do realize Kirk stated Petras is starting today, and that it was HIS decision as head coach, don’t you?

Brian is a firey competitor with a hot temper. It's hard to believe he's putting Petras out there by his choice.

Reactions: TheRealHerky
You do realize Kirk stated Petras is starting today, and that it was HIS decision as head coach, don’t you?
Of course. Do we have any good evidence that BF doesn't agree with him? All we know is BF threw a little shade at Petras earlier in the week.

HC's either make or approve decisions and then owns them.

UM did it last year, complete adjustment to what they had for athletes. It worked.

Our style of offense is predictable, but if you have a good O line and a decent QB, it can still work. Would like to see some variations in the offensive set that would make us less predictable

Of course. Do we have any good evidence that BF doesn't agree with him? All we know is BF threw a little shade at Petras earlier in the week.

HC's either make or approve decisions and then owns them.
Do you have evidence he does?

One of the Iowa beat writers (can’t remember which) also stated after the game that he had heard Brian wanted to put Padilla in last week but Kirk vetoed it. He would know more about it than you or I.

It’s not worth arguing about.

Reactions: sober_teacher
Do you have evidence he does?

One of the Iowa beat writers (can’t remember which) also stated after the game that he had heard Brian wanted to put Padilla in last week but Kirk vetoed it. He would know more about it than you or I.

It’s not worth arguing about.
Not arguing really. Just challenging the assumption that most have. Maybe that's the same as arguing!

If a beat writer heard it first hand, that's good evidence. If he "heard", as in a rumor, less convincing but probably grounded in truth.

“But, with the way the Offensive Line has played and how the injury bug has hit us, I am not sure how much better we would be with someone else noteworthy.”

OMG, lol. You can’t be serious here?
Good Lord....finish your thought....what are you disagreeing with? LOL!

I don't think where he was listed had anything to do with him transfering. He knew after spring ball Petras was the annointed one. He wasn't going to stay and get destroyed catching 3-yard outs or having the ball sail over his head. He absolutely made the right choice.
I ABSOLUTLY agree with this. I was just curious if he was also being screwed on the DC. That young man made the best decision he could have ever made. He is playing GREAT!!!

Ok, probably true. But I would still like to see that list.

There is no logic in KF having total control over the offense, but no control over the defense and special teams. Why would he do that? Why would he continue to limit the one part of the team that is traditionally underperformed.

IMO, the Stanzi thing was a nothing burger - it was 4 games until sophomore Stanzi was given the keys over a senior returning starter in JC, all the while getting lots of PT in those 4 games.

And in the last decade, what are some examples of clueless clock management? One example I remember was against a non-con opponent at the end of the half and BF owned it.

"HIS decision" on RB's" years ago? He takes ownership of staff decisions because it's his team. HC's have to be arrogant (another word for that is confident).

Fans are tired of KF and the problems on offense. I get that. But, they have also developed a personal dislike for KF, and just about every bad character trait has been applied to him. Greedy, selfish, arrogant, beyond-stubborn - do players and assistant coaches rave about a coach like that? Can a HC really survive 24 years on the sidelines with all those flaws?

Most of this vitriol is directed at the QB position. I am far from convinced that the offense would be any better with AP. Is everything that is bad about the offense KF's fault?

One final thought - WHY would BF stay here if he is really a good coach? The stain of this experience is not going to wash off.

Brian is not a good OC. KF is bad at picking OC's.
Regarding the bolded, that's an interesting and valid question. There are a number of possibilities. One is that both Parkers may have told him that they would only accept the job if they had control of the key aspects of the job (as any worthwhile coordinator would do). Another is that offense offers more frequent (play to play) and impactful decisions and thus more control which is very appealing to a control freak. A third possibility is "if it isn't broken
( defense and S), don't fix it. With the exception of a couple of years with exceptional talent, the offense has been broken since his first year. That year, with little talent, he offered no creativity, or innovation (remember Fry's first year?) to compensate for the lack of talent. That created immediate concern about his offensive mentality that continues to this day.

Stanzi thing was not a nothing burger. He didn't get a single snap the year before during one of the most inept QB years in Iowa history.

He didn't just take ownership of staff decisions in player use. He publically admitted that HE was making the decisions on player participation.

The personal dislike is understandable and justified. He threw the Pitt game as to supposedly punish Stanzi but was really punishing the rest of the team and the fans. Vengeful. He filled the OC job twice with guys he knew were not in the best interests of Iowa football success. And there have been several other outrageous acts. He has survived by being a much better politician then football coach. He has fooled a lot of people for a long time.

Last edited:
Reactions: DewHawk
Is Brian really a bad OC?
Does a bear crap in the woods? And does the pope crap on the broken lives and dreams of 200 deaf boys?

Yes, I realize that. But, you could also sit down in a film room and talk offense with Brian Ferentz and be completely lost. That's the point I'm making.
Pay me $900,000 per year, make it my full time job 365 days a year and give me a fraction of the time and exposure he's had in football. I'll gladly take my chances in that conversation.

Better yet, put him in a room with me and we'll talk about Supply Chain Management and Manufacturing Operations. I'll bet Brian would be completely lost in less than 5 minutes.

The point is that he's paid very well to do a job in a capacity he's supposed to knowledgeable about and he sucks at it.

Last edited:
They are playing two TE's nearly every play. And a lot with the FB Pottebaum on the field. So as a result the opponent has 11 guys within 7 yards of the LOS as no one is scared of Iowa running by them. The OL is a crapshow right now. Even on plays where Iowa has numbers at the point of attack, 1-2 OL will just not block anyone and the play gets blown up.

I have seen more formation mix, counters and mixing and matching by BF than in any previous seasons. But they can't run a 3 WR formation right now as they have 1 scholarship WR playing. It's hard to play football in 2022 when you literally can't line up in a 3 WR wet. All of it is on the coaches ultimately. They recruit the players, develop them and coach them. But there literally is nothing to adjust to right now. The only improvement is if the OL gets its act together and the QB can just be accurate on the occasions when he has time and someone is open.
You said there's "nothing to adjust to right now." I disagree. 150 yards of O per game will not win us many games. Gotta make adjustments.

Reactions: BrunoMars420
Stanzi thing was not a nothing burger. He didn't get a single snap the year before during one of the most inept QB years in Iowa history.

He didn't just take ownership of staff decisions in player use. He publically admitted that HE was making the decisions on player participation.

The personal dislike is understandable and justified. He threw the Pitt game as to supposedly punish Stanzi but was really punishing the rest of the team and the fans. Vengeful. He filled the OC job twice with guys he knew were not in the best interests of Iowa football success. And there have been several other outrageous acts. He has survived by being a much better politician then football coach. He has fooled a lot of people for a long time.
Stanzi admitted he wasn't serious about football as a freshman. That would have been obvious to KF and carried over to his Soph year. KF doesn't like players that aren't serious about football.

I'm not aware of the punishment aspect of the Pitt game. What was he punished for?

Yes, HE MAKES THE DECISION, No question. I have never disputed that.

The issue is - does he take advice and recommendations from his coordinators/staff? The assumption here is "no", and I am looking for evidence of that.

What would you think of a HC that talks after a game in which the QB looks bad and says, "Yeah, Brian made the decision to play him". Or even, "Brian made the call and I agreed with him".

The HC is responsible for everything, even the good things.

Stanzi admitted he wasn't serious about football as a freshman. That would have been obvious to KF and carried over to his Soph year. KF doesn't like players that aren't serious about football.

I'm not aware of the punishment aspect of the Pitt game. What was he punished for?

Yes, HE MAKES THE DECISION, No question. I have never disputed that.

The issue is - does he take advice and recommendations from his coordinators/staff? The assumption here is "no", and I am looking for evidence of that.

What would you think of a HC that talks after a game in which the QB looks bad and says, "Yeah, Brian made the decision to play him". Or even, "Brian made the call and I agreed with him".

The HC is responsible for everything, even the good things.
I really don’t know if BF is bad or not. He’s forced to use the ultra conservative out of date scheme that KF dictates. He is a highly inconsistent play caller; he’s had some great games and some real stinkers, and he tends to get too cute at times -ie, the fullback plunge at the goal line and the end around on 2nd and short last week.

You said there's "nothing to adjust to right now." I disagree. 150 yards of O per game will not win us many games. Gotta make adjustments.
Hey i'm not really arguing with you. The offense has stunk. What I'm saying is they literally don't have 3 WR's to put in the game and they have played most of the first 2 games with two TE's on teh field almost every snap, as well as playing a lot with FB. It doesn't matter. When your TE's and FB are your best players, you don't have a good offense.

I really don’t know if BF is bad or not. He’s forced to use the ultra conservative out of date scheme that KF dictates. He is a highly inconsistent play caller; he’s had some great games and some real stinkers, and he tends to get too cute at times -ie, the fullback plunge at the goal line and the end around on 2nd and short last week.
I'm not sure if BF has many strengths as an OC. Play calling seems to be ok IMO, except that nothing works.

The two plays you mention seemed ok to me. Second and short is a good time to "try something" - maybe a long pass, etc. He did and it didn't work. It didn't work ... badly.

Fullback dive near the goal line? I was shocked that he fumbled. I thought it was a good call. It took the Hawks to the 1 inch line or better.

Bad plays look like bad calls.

I'm not sure if BF has many strengths as an OC. Play calling seems to be ok IMO, except that nothing works.

The two plays you mention seemed ok to me. Second and short is a good time to "try something" - maybe a long pass, etc. He did and it didn't work. It didn't work ... badly.

Fullback dive near the goal line? I was shocked that he fumbled. I thought it was a good call. It took the Hawks to the 1 inch line or better.

Bad plays look like bad calls.
I would argue the Pottebaum is a ramrod blocker, but he is not a RB, and sadly I don’t think there is anyone on offense that is fast enough to run an effective end around

ADVERTISEMENT