ADVERTISEMENT

Is David Lee Roth gay or just kind of feminine?

ottumwan in tx

HR King
Oct 26, 2002
So I'm watching stuff on youtube. Dave is like on letterman doing an interview in 1985, still totally Dave. By 1996, about a decade later, he's on Jon Stewart show, totally changed into a skinny little woman of a Dave.

Been seeing him on shows lately, still has some dance moves. They are of course touring and I want to go see them next month in Austin. But is this guy out and proud or what? What say you hrot??

Steven Tyler says
I+don+t+see+what+the+big+deal+is+about+her+_57d1f5f1f49aa0cbef9c0116bbfaf8ab.jpg

I couldn't care less who Dave has sex with. I care only about whether or not he can sing. Thirty years ago he was pretty good. Today, not so much.

I couldn't care less who Dave has sex with. I care only about whether or not he can sing. Thirty years ago he was pretty good. Today, not so much.
that was another strange part of his "transition", he lost his voice. he kept his dance moves though. I wonder if it's true about getting a higher voice if something gets cut....I really shouldn't have asked if he's gay, should have asked if he was trans

Reactions: GladHawk
the thing is: these guys are all getting to be medicare age real soon
A lot of them are well past that point already. I recently saw Jorma Kaukonen on The WoodSongs Old-Time Radio Hour. It was a little depressing. It wouldn't surprise me if the next time I see him he's hawking diabetic supplies on basic cable at 2 o'clock in the morning.

Are you thinking of asking him out if he is? Otherwise not sure why you care or need to know
DLR was the ultimate hedonist and scored more tail than he could count back in the 80's and 90's. Substance abuse is a factor in his skinny appearance. He's always been a flamboyant dresser, but that doesn't make him gay. That's his business. Also, the dude is 60 and he burned out his voice long ago.

DLR was the ultimate hedonist and scored more tail than he could count back in the 80's and 90's. Substance abuse is a factor in his skinny appearance. He's always been a flamboyant dresser, but that doesn't make him gay. That's his business. Also, the dude is 60 and he burned out his voice long ago.
well, we shall see about the voice in sept when he comes here. the wild story apparently is: what the heck happened to the bass player? apparently some bad blood there....

well, we shall see about the voice in sept when he comes here. the wild story apparently is: what the heck happened to the bass player? apparently some bad blood there....
Are you referring to Michael Anthony of Van Halen or the bass player for DLR's own band?

Are you referring to Michael Anthony of Van Halen or the bass player for DLR's own band?
no, referring to Michael Anthony, of course. I'm a huge fan of billy Sheehan who used to be in DLR's band, of "sink your teeth into that" fame with talas, out of buffalo. I wondered about the fights with VH and Anthony.

What if it's you, your wife, your mom, your son, your daughter, your grandfather.... you probably could care a little bit.

Reactions: gusto79
Roth once had an insurance policy from Lloyds of London and used to make groupies sign a contract that dismissed him from paternity lawsuits if he knocked any of them up.
It's all because of the green M&M's he insisted on while on tour back in the day.

Reportedly, he threw a TV through the window of the Chairman's Suite at the Five Season's Hotel (or whatever it was called back then) in downtown Cedar Rapids in the middle of the night after a concert there because they had the wrong color M&M's in a big bowl in his room. Decadence at its finest. Reportedly, Van Halen was banned from every returning there.

I have the newspaper article from the October 1981 show. It was the last night of the Fair Warning tour. Crazy awesome show, wildest VH concert (27 times and counting) I ever saw.

$6k in damage, all due to the rider about M&M's along with other issues. They wrote a check for the damage. There's also a passage in his autobio about leaving town and the bus getting pulled over by cops as they left, and about a gal and a hair brush and her proclivity to being slapped on the ass with it during intercourse after the concert.

VH with Hagar The Horrible and DLR solo returned to the 5 more than once after the 1981 show in the 80's.

Dave trained with Benny Urquidez quite often when he was younger (the guy John Cusack gets into a brawl with at the reunion dance in "Grosse Pointe Blank" - an MMA fighter before there was MMA). Substance abuse...yeah, but the guy also kept himself in pretty good shape. He also in the 00's trained and went out on calls as an EMT in NYC if my memory is good.

Gay? He probably gave Wilt Chamberlain a pretty good run for his money on the 10,000 women claim Wilt had. "I'll Wait" supposedly was a song about his relationship with Christie Brinkley in the early 80's.

Dave is unique...a child of TV and his uncle, who ran the Café Wha? in NYC as a kid. He is the pinnacle of the prototype lead singer. I rank him up there with Plant and Jaggar as far as overall talent. Not as good a singer, but the ultimate entertainer. I thought on the album and his 2008 DM show, he sounded better live than he ever did in the 80's. He ain't lost his voice...if anything, it's better cause he's taking better care of himself and given his knee issues doesn't jump around like he used to.

I have the newspaper article from the October 1981 show. It was the last night of the Fair Warning tour. Crazy awesome show, wildest VH concert (27 times and counting) I ever saw.

$6k in damage, all due to the rider about M&M's along with other issues. They wrote a check for the damage. There's also a passage in his autobio about leaving town and the bus getting pulled over by cops as they left, and about a gal and a hair brush and her proclivity to being slapped on the ass with it during intercourse after the concert.

VH with Hagar The Horrible and DLR solo returned to the 5 more than once after the 1981 show in the 80's.

Dave trained with Benny Urquidez quite often when he was younger (the guy John Cusack gets into a brawl with at the reunion dance in "Grosse Pointe Blank" - an MMA fighter before there was MMA). Substance abuse...yeah, but the guy also kept himself in pretty good shape. He also in the 00's trained and went out on calls as an EMT in NYC if my memory is good.

Gay? He probably gave Wilt Chamberlain a pretty good run for his money on the 10,000 women claim Wilt had. "I'll Wait" supposedly was a song about his relationship with Christie Brinkley in the early 80's.

Dave is unique...a child of TV and his uncle, who ran the Café Wha? in NYC as a kid. He is the pinnacle of the prototype lead singer. I rank him up there with Plant and Jaggar as far as overall talent. Not as good a singer, but the ultimate entertainer. I thought on the album and his 2008 DM show, he sounded better live than he ever did in the 80's. He ain't lost his voice...if anything, it's better cause he's taking better care of himself and given his knee issues doesn't jump around like he used to.
Wow! Good stuff. He was an excellent front man. Flamboyant as hell.

Wasn't there always some tension between DLR and Michael Anthony?

I saw a video story about how poor a dancer/actor Alex Van Halen was. He had terrible trouble getting his moves down during the "Hot for Teacher" video shoot.

The green M&M's are just a test to see if concert organizers read all of the paperwork for their show. If they didn't get the M&M's correct, then they knew they had to be much more careful with the proper and intricate setup of the stage, special effects, etc, that could hurt somebody.

Michael Anthony never had an issue with DLR from what I know of. I know MA has a serious weed up his arse with the Van Halens though, which is why he didn't re-unite with them.

Eddie and Alex are well known for being assholes to deal with through the years. They did not age gracefully either with regards to their health. Alex has had spine issues for 20+ years now, and Eddie has had part of his stomach removed from his drinking and had tongue cancer from smoking 5 packs a day.

I remember a Van Hagar show in Moline in the early 90's where Alex spent the night in the hospital after their prior show. He was drumming with a neck brace on. They stunk on a stick that show...my last show I saw until their 2007-8 reunion tour.

Ping is 100% correct...the M&M thing was to make sure they set the stage properly etc...they had several instances where the specs for their stage layout with regards to how many pounds it could hold, along with electrical requirements, etc weren't met, and had a stage collapse on them once.

So, they put in the M&M rider to make sure the promoter/venue read their needs from top to bottom. And CR failed in 1981 apparently.

Also, if you're a DLR era VH fan and don't have A Different Kind of Truth, get it. It's very good. Tattoo is probably the worst song on it, and there's 4 songs that rate up with anything they did prior...my favorites being You and Your Blues, Get Frosty (similar to Ice Crème Man, yet better I think..."you wanna be a monk, you gotta cook a lotta rice"), Blood and Fire, and Outta Space.

Looking back on it...the Van Hagar era is just a bad dream. Van Halen with Dave was the best band in the world when they broke up...really not even close imho. It robbed us all of at least another decade of fantastic music. Hell, "DLR Band" - that CD tided me over for 15 years until ADKOT came out...if you like Roth-era VH, you'll love "DLR Band" (the CD with Slam Dunk! on it). It's a crime that wasn't a Van Halen reunion album. Easily the best DLR solo work, better than any Van Hagar album (yes, even For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge) BY FAR.

Stories have been out there for years. Google the question and see what you find.....

Your basic rock throwers if you ask me. Until I see pics with him and natural doin' the deed, I say horsehockey.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT