ADVERTISEMENT

Is Fran building a new regional powerhouse?

HawkNole09

HR MVP
Sep 20, 2009
Looking at Fran's tenure it's hard to deny that the Iowa program has been taking small steps forward each year.

Player development has been very consistent. Good players moving up, assuming leadership roles, and then going to play professionally.

When I look at the talent in the FR and SO classes, I can't see this team underperforming any time soon.
This team is set up to make deep runs, as long as they stay healthy!

Should be fun to watch the next 3-4 years as Fran cements Iowa as a top 5 program in the B1G.

I think it is clear as a road map that Iowa is progressing. The question has always been what ceiling can we reach.

Hard not to look at the players we are bringing in and not see an upper division team and better.

I still see us winning 13 regular season Big Ten games this year.

I love what Fran is doing, but to think we're going to be top 3 in the league this season is a real stretch. We will miss Jok on the offensive end much more then people think at this juncture.
We'll see. It won't be easy, but IMO it's doable

I agree with both of these.....judging Jok's impact isn't as easy as it might seem in my amateur opinion. He was clearly a dominant presence on the offensive end when he was on.....and he was on a lot of the time. When he wasn't hitting his shot he still drew some attention BUT he could also be a detriment.

Sometimes Pete was effective on defense.....a lot of the time he wasn't.

SO, how much better can our team defense be this year? Can our bigs be effective enough offensively inside and at kicking it back out that they create open shots for our outside guys?

Reactions: DanL53
We will miss Jok on the offensive end much more then people think at this juncture.

Fans say that every year. Last year it was Uthoff, the year before, White and the year before, Marble. How are we going to replace these guys? Yet, our offense hasn't taken a step back and I don't expect it to do so this year either. We have plenty of scoring and I don't think we will miss Peter's defense, so I think we'll be fine.

I have no idea where this team finishes this year, as nobody does. It doesn't stop anyone from estimating what they think, but no one knows how a team with at least 2 new integral pieces will mesh. Throw in flu bugs, suspensions, injuries. The usual.

Pete Jok was an amazing shooter/scorer. We may never see someone like him again. Or maybe next year. But, he was good. I do believe, however, that we will kick it up a notch on the defensive end without him. And 5 guys playing as well as they can on defense beats 4. Was he that bad? The team will never say, but enough of us casual observers should agree.

Powerhouse? It's gotta start with at least a Sweet Sixteen run. I would take that over a Conference Championship any day. But then, a CC would also be appreciated. And perennial runs in the tourney while the well is full. And keep filling the well, also.

A powerhouse label will take some doing. I don't think we've ever been as poised to do so, though, in the coming years.

Reactions: unIowa
By the way, I love, love, love Jordan Bohannon to take the Jok mantle as our cold blooded assassin. I don't want to overlook what he could do as our go-to deep threat. He was just as good as Pete last year, which contradicts what i said in a previous post.

Reactions: D-Ram
Like what Fran has done. Love the style of play and pushing the tempo offensively.
Not sure what you mean by regional powerhouse. Or, by what metrics that would be defined. While they certainly have improved, I think there's a good argument that they're still the second best D-1 team in the state to date. Although I think they could close the gap, isu has had the better overall performance in their conference, the NCAA tourney, and head to head over the past 5 years.

Reactions: hawksense
I have no idea where this team finishes this year, as nobody does. It doesn't stop anyone from estimating what they think, but no one knows how a team with at least 2 new integral pieces will mesh. Throw in flu bugs, suspensions, injuries. The usual.

Pete Jok was an amazing shooter/scorer. We may never see someone like him again. Or maybe next year. But, he was good. I do believe, however, that we will kick it up a notch on the defensive end without him. And 5 guys playing as well as they can on defense beats 4. Was he that bad? The team will never say, but enough of us casual observers should agree.

Powerhouse? It's gotta start with at least a Sweet Sixteen run. I would take that over a Conference Championship any day. But then, a CC would also be appreciated. And perennial runs in the tourney while the well is full. And keep filling the well, also.

A powerhouse label will take some doing. I don't think we've ever been as poised to do so, though, in the coming years.
I would take an outright CC over a sweet 16 any day of the week. If we have an outright CC and or an Elite 8 berth by the time Pat Mac graduates, I would be happy :)

Last edited:
Looking at Fran's tenure it's hard to deny that the Iowa program has been taking small steps forward each year.

Player development has been very consistent. Good players moving up, assuming leadership roles, and then going to play professionally.

When I look at the talent in the FR and SO classes, I can't see this team underperforming any time soon.

Should be fun to watch the next 3-4 years as Fran cements Iowa as a top 5 program in the B1G.

We haven't advanced to the B1G finals, sweet 16, etc. until we do that consistently I would offer any discussion of a regional powerhouse is premature and/or unwarranted. I do like what Fran is doing fwiw

So 2 or 3 times in the last year or so, ive checked out Cryclown Fanatic. Reading this thread about becoming a regional powerhouse, makes wonder how many Final-Four showings we would need to get any sort respect from a number of those morons. Every fan is somewhat of a homer or maybe talks some shit. But my god according to those guys Fran's a horrible coach, Garza sucks, Conner Mac sucks, there program is light-years ahead of ours and Fran doesn't value athleticism when recruiting. If an ISU team or player or coach is good, i'll aknowlege that they are. Tim Floyd was a great coach, recruiter and had some really good teams. Iowa could bypass some of the more skilled than athletic types we get from our state and the ones around us, but there can only be one "Last Chance U per state. Yes we did recruit A. Hubbard when Fran first started, prob won't be a second time. Its like using Fox News as the basis for Trump is the best at everything arguement. You can do it but people wont believe or respect you

Reactions: isujoe
We will get foster but carton goes to wisky.
I hope im wrong but I think your right bud. Cant get every Iowa kid but its twice as bad if its Wisky or Last Chance State. I've already whined about this but cant believe Wisky offered first. Fran usually offers these type of guys before they blowup not after. Maybe not even be a factor but who knows

We haven't advanced to the B1G finals, sweet 16, etc. until we do that consistently I would offer any discussion of a regional powerhouse is premature and/or unwarranted. I do like what Fran is doing fwiw
Yup I don't think any team can be called a powerhouse without some consistent results wrt the end of year tournaments. Maybe it starts this year....

Reactions: Kurt Warner
Yup I don't think any team can be called a powerhouse without some consistent results wrt the end of year tournaments. Maybe it starts this year....

Agree. I'm waiting for results. Recruiting top 150 players isn't as big of a deal as people think. Over a 4 year period, there are 600 - top 150 players (150 * 4). That means 60 teams could have 10 players in the top 150 at any one time. Of course lots of talent leaves early and teams like Kentucky recruit like 30 top 150 players in a 4 year timeframe. But still, it's a lot. These recruits need to pan out.

Reactions: HawkNole09
Fran is doing a lot of good things. The D should be way, way better this year. You would always like Joks shooting but not a complete player. Moss and others that can create have a huge opportunity. J-Bo can stroke it as can others. The bigs should give most teams problems. For a really successful year Fran will have to figure out what combo of O and D works best. The depth and ability to run should be there. Also need guys to execute in tight games in the have court to be top teams like UW and MSU. Should be a very entertaining year of hoops.

Easily, by far, the biggest question mark is the defense. If they can play up to what they were during Mike G/Woody's 4 years, they'll be very good to great. If they play to what it was without that class, I'm far more concerned.

That said, I'm less concerned about the defense coming into this season than last. Of course, it doesn't take much to be less concerned than last year.

And, I agree with vbeach that JBo staying healthy might be the single biggest factor. I think CMac could step in and play some good minutes, but with no salty vet with a lot of experience in the back court (like JBo had with Pete), the struggles would be real.

And lastly, to the OP...I don't know. I do think this year's roster will look closer to what Fran's "ideal" looks like than any he's had. It will have length, versatility, athleticism, shooting, etc. The only thing it will be missing is much experience. Give the SO class another year and they should be really good.

Until Fran shows us something different, defense is going to be a deficiency and offense should not be a problem.

Iowa was in the Top 10 during Dev's senior season and #3 in 2015-16 before both teams fell. Point is, it's doable to be that good, but we've found that it's tough to sustain.

We've got good personnel this year. Let's see what happens.

If Iowa wins the Big Ten Championship the chances of getting to the Sweet 16 are extremely good. Just based on the seeding alone it would be favorable. I'd take the conference Championship because that means you have a really really good team and it might be spread out over to three years of a great deal of success

Last edited:
Regional power? Are you being sarcastic?

Fran has done well to load the roster with young talent and it is looking good.

A big immediate concern is the lack of PG depth after Bohannon. The other is that Fran has yet to have a team in the Sweet 16...ever and has only won 2 NCAA tourney games while at Iowa.

In the Region, Minnesota and Wisconsin are ahead of Iowa. We will see if Iowa can move ahead of them.

Reactions: HawkAttackDial911

A big immediate concern is the lack of PG depth after Bohannon. The other is that Fran has yet to have a team in the Sweet 16...ever and has only won 2 NCAA tourney games while at Iowa.

In the Region, Minnesota and Wisconsin are ahead of Iowa. We will see if Iowa can move ahead of them.

I'll give you Wisky but Minne is not ahead of Iowa in my opinion. Region has to include Kansas, Wisconsin, Wichita State, Kentucky and Louisville. To answer the OP's question, I would say we are much better but not a regional power, yet.

Wisky has been good, undeniably. Minnesota? I admit to not having done any research on this, but I don't recall them being any better (not as good either) over the last 5 years or so. Maybe I'm missing something and would be glad to acknowledge a credible assertion that says otherwise.

Reactions: terrehawk
Wisky has been good, undeniably. Minnesota? I admit to not having done any research on this, but I don't recall them being any better (not as good either) over the last 5 years or so. Maybe I'm missing something and would be glad to acknowledge a credible assertion that says otherwise.
Overall, the Goofers have NOT been better than the Hawks. Little Dick's seat was getting a little warm, until last year's strong finish to the regular season. Minny should be good this year, if some off-court shenanigans don't pop up.

Minny was terrible 2 years ago and then made a huge turn around last year....before getting upset by #12 seed on the NCAA tourney. They have had a good recruiting class or two recently that has them looking ahead. Honestly, I hope they do well one more year and so we can see little Ric take the first job elsewhere.

QUOTE="perryhawk, post: 4635089, member: 9706"]Wisky has been good, undeniably. Minnesota? I admit to not having done any research on this, but I don't recall them being any better (not as good either) over the last 5 years or so. Maybe I'm missing something and would be glad to acknowledge a credible assertion that says otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Iowa basketball a regional powerhouse?

Where can I get entertainment as good as I do here?

Iowa basketball a regional powerhouse?

Where can I get entertainment as good as I do here?
Go back to the football board, and check out the cartoon character on your Minny football helmet. NOW THATS ENTERTAINMENT right there!!!!!!!

Reactions: F6n6
Is Fran building a new regional powerhouse?

I think OP meant SUPER power and not regional powerhouse.

Iowa basketball is now relevant thanks to Fran. The question is whether the program can take the next step, and consistently be a ranked team, competing for the B1G championship most years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT