ADVERTISEMENT

Is Garza the best center in Iowa history?

Aleksei

Team MVP
Dec 26, 2019
I’m almost 80 years old, and have been watching the Hawks for over 50 years. I don’t think I’ve ever been as impressed with any of our centers as I am with him. He’s great inside, he’s great outside, he works hard, he brings players together in a huddle and talks to them. Tonight I saw him consoling Joe T when he was messing up... Lohaus, Horton, Stokes, AC, Jepsen were all great, but this kid is awesome.

I was 9-10 years old when Acie Earl gave me an autograph. Loved that dude. Shot block master.

Garza is the new age version. Has jump shots for days. Hits 3’s to spread it out. Post moves are so sick. And his HUSTLE makes him a Hawkeyes legend. I don’t think anyone is more HAWKEYES than Garza. He defines everything this basketball program wants to be.

Do wanna say, if Olaseni had 4 years of consistent development, he may have been something amazing.

I’m almost 80 years old, and have been watching the Hawks for over 50 years. I don’t think I’ve ever been as impressed with any of our centers as I am with him. He’s great inside, he’s great outside, he works hard, he brings players together in a huddle and talks to them. Tonight I saw him consoling Joe T when he was messing up... Lohaus, Horton, Stokes, AC, Jepsen were all great, but this kid is awesome.

Great post. I think he is probably the best. Nobody has a motor like Garza.

Yes.

I like Luka a whole lot.

Greg Stokes was a really good player for the Hawks.
Greg was my first thought, he was so smooth on offense and a all big type player . But I don't think he was as physical or as good in contact as Garza. Comparing players is so difficult and as a gray hair with fond memories of Greg I would still say Garza.

Aleksie,

That is as awesome a compliment as I’ve seen here. Almost 80 years young, still following these young-uns!!
I don’t know if Garza is the best or not, but he really has put the time and effort in to qualify. BTW, I’m 59 and was a student at Iowa for the 1980 Final Four bunch.

When Iowa beat Georgetown that Sunday late afternoon, March 16,1980, 81-80 , all the dorms, frats and sororities emptied, toward the Pentacrest. Unfortunately, all the bars were closed on Sundays. back then.
We still won. What a game!! That was.

Right behind Gorney
giphy.gif

Luka is the best Hawkeye center since I have followed them about 45 years ago. He is definitely the best offensive center, and he has also improved on defense. Hawkeyes could be the best Iowa team in a really long time next year, if everyone comes back and stays healthy.

Luka is the best Hawkeye center since I have followed them about 45 years ago. He is definitely the best offensive center, and he has also improved on defense. Hawkeyes could be the best Iowa team in a really long time next year, if everyone comes back and stays healthy.
Agree 100%, Weezy and Garza need to come back and then wowsers.

Aleksie,

That is as awesome a compliment as I’ve seen here. Almost 80 years young, still following these young-uns!!
I don’t know if Garza is the best or not, but he really has put the time and effort in to qualify. BTW, I’m 59 and was a student at Iowa for the 1980 Final Four bunch.

When Iowa beat Georgetown that Sunday late afternoon, March 16,1980, 81-80 , all the dorms, frats and sororities emptied, toward the Pentacrest. Unfortunately, all the bars were closed on Sundays. back then.
We still won. What a game!! That was.
Kranepool: thank you! my grandson put me on this site recently. I
remember that game so vividly. One of the best memories as a Hawk fan. Just as significant (except painful) as the loss against UNLV was. I honestly think that game could have been a destiny changing one for the program.
And yes, I’ve watched these guys forever. Btw, Sir Jamalot was also a great player.

It's apropos that Garza should be on John Wooden award list as he is very similar to one of Wooden's best players Bill Walton in my opinion.

He's a throwback to an era when big men were the most influential players on the court....and he proves that they still can have that kind of influence in today's game...which mostly is players moving horizontally around the arc looking for 3 point set shots...and most players are unable to create shots with guys guarding or drive their guys to the basket.

It was kind of nice to see 2 big guys going at it tonight, as Maryland's center is also a very good inside player.

Now next time Nebraska visits Iowa, if Iowa's other guys can make their open shots, then Garza will just kill Nebraska's pathetic inside guys...they had problems with Garza unless they had 4 guys on him.

Unequivocally!

Reactions: GRT2B1 and Aleksei
Omg, with Downtown Freddie Brown and John Johnson, winning an outright Big Ten title - I think they lost one game in their last 18 or 19 games

My college roommate got me to buy season tickets that year. I didn’t know anything about basketball, so when we went undefeated in conference averaging over 100 points a game, I assumed that was the norm.

i think before you call anyone the "best ever," you have to let their career end and then take a look.

Garza is just 2 1/2 years in; he's not even in the top 25 on the Iowa career scoring list yet.

Look at the Top 4 Iowa scorers of all time. Two great Iowa centers are at #3 and #4. And Acie Earl was a helluva defender and shot blocker.

1 Roy Marble...2,116 (4 yrs: 1986-1989, 134 GP, .539 FG%,, 15.8 ppg; 26 three pt goals)

2 Aaron White...1,859 (4 yrs: 2012-2015, 140 GP, .517 FG%,, 13.3 ppg; 61 three pt goals)

3 Acie Earl...1,779 (4 yrs: 1990-1993, 116 GP, .508 FG%,, 15.3 ppg; 2 three pt goals)

4 Greg Stokes...1,768 (4 yrs: 1982-1985, 120 GP, .545 FG%,, 14.7 ppg)

I was 9-10 years old when Acie Earl gave me an autograph. Loved that dude. Shot block master.

Garza is the new age version. Has jump shots for days. Hits 3’s to spread it out. Post moves are so sick. And his HUSTLE makes him a Hawkeyes legend. I don’t think anyone is more HAWKEYES than Garza. He defines everything this basketball program wants to be.

Do wanna say, if Olaseni had 4 years of consistent development, he may have been something amazing.
Biggest mistake Fran ever made was not redshirting Olaseni so he could play a few minutes in a meaningless game.

You are 80 and don't mention Chuck Darling?

i think before you call anyone the "best ever," you have to let their career end and then take a look.

Garza is just 2 1/2 years in; he's not even in the top 25 on the Iowa career scoring list yet.

Look at the Top 4 Iowa scorers of all time. Two great Iowa centers are at #3 and #4. And Acie Earl was a helluva defender and shot blocker.

1 Roy Marble...2,116 (4 yrs: 1986-1989, 134 GP, .539 FG%,, 15.8 ppg; 26 three pt goals)

2 Aaron White...1,859 (4 yrs: 2012-2015, 140 GP, .517 FG%,, 13.3 ppg; 61 three pt goals)

3 Acie Earl...1,779 (4 yrs: 1990-1993, 116 GP, .508 FG%,, 15.3 ppg; 2 three pt goals)

4 Greg Stokes...1,768 (4 yrs: 1982-1985, 120 GP, .545 FG%,, 14.7 ppg)

Garza at this point. 80 games played 1150. .555% 15.7ppg

Great question. Any discussion of the best Iowa centers must include Don Nelson. He was a force inside and he went on to great things. If Luka comes back next year and has a similar year to this year then I think yes he will be the best ever. He is a bit of a throwback but he does everything so well. Let's talk after next year but yes he may be the best ever.

My favorite memory about the 1970 undefeated BIG team was coach Ralph Miller's comment on Rick Mount. (remember no 3 pt shots then) Mount went off for 50 or 60 points against us and we squecked out a win. Miller said I don't care how many he scores as long as he shoots under 50% (or words to that effect). Any other geezers out there can correct me if I didn't get it just right!

Before my time, but wasn't Chuck Darling and Sam Williams centers, both averaged 25.4 in 51-52 and 21.0 in 67-68 respectively. I don't know what Kevin Kunnert average offensively, but he had 334 rebounds in 72-73. Reggie Evans was only 6-8 but he played center for Stevie and was a rebound machine but Luka is diffidently the best all around center I've ever seen at Iowa bar none and maybe the hardest working player I've ever seen at the college level...

Reactions: BGHAWK
Even after the debacle vs Nebraska, I made sure to tune in tonight because Garza especially is worth watching. He plays so hard and is so effective, it is a real joy to watch. You know is ability to hit so many shots, especially in the post, is due to the tremendous amount of work he has put into his game.

Reactions: Mitjacks
Kranepool: thank you! my grandson put me on this site recently. I
remember that game so vividly. One of the best memories as a Hawk fan. Just as significant (except painful) as the loss against UNLV was. I honestly think that game could have been a destiny changing one for the program.
And yes, I’ve watched these guys forever. Btw, Sir Jamalot was also a great player.

Just had to bring up UNLV....

Don Nelson was an All-American and played center at 6-6. He was relentless on the boards, often against much bigger players, and had a lot of offensive moves for his era, not unlike Luka.

Many good Iowa centers have been mentioned, but Nelson may be No. 1 with Luka ready to take over that spot. But regardless of rankings, anyone who loves talented athletes who never give up has to love Luka Garza. He takes a back seat to no one. What a great kid. What a great Hawkeye. What a joy to see play.

He’s got a good chance to be the GOAT career scorer before he finishes here. Have had a major man crush on him since year 1.

I didn’t see Nelson play, but if he was better than Luka, he must have been really, really good.

Before my time, but wasn't Chuck Darling and Sam Williams centers, both averaged 25.4 in 51-52 and 21.0 in 67-68 respectively. I don't know what Kevin Kunnert average offensively, but he had 334 rebounds in 72-73. Reggie Evans was only 6-8 but he played center for Stevie and was a rebound machine but Luka is diffidently the best all around center I've ever seen at Iowa bar none and maybe the hardest working player I've ever seen at the college level...
First, Sam Williams was 6'3'' and was a forward. He was a Burlington J.C. transfer. He was a great scorer and rebounder. He averaged just over 10 rebounds a game at 6'3''. I remember him going against Cazzie Russell and the Wolverines-great games. Second, Chuck darling averaged 17.6 rebounds and 16.3 points his junior year. His senior year he averaged 25.5 points and , I believe that he averaged over 20 rebounds a game. In those days , they only played 3 years. Kunnert scored 1,145 career points, and was the Hawkeyes' all-time leading rebounder at the time of his graduation. Kunnert led the Big Ten in rebounding and field goal percentage his senior year, averaging 19.2 points and 13.9 rebounds on 54.5% shooting. He averaged 18.2 points and 14.7 rebounds as a junior in 1971-1972. For his career he averaged 15.9 points and 12.7 rebounds. Don Nelson averaged 21.1 points (1,522) and 10.9 rebounds (784) in his 72 game Iowa career. He left Iowa as the program's all-time leading scorer. Players today play 32 games and more regularly each season as a minimum and many play in excess of 140 games in their college careers.. Nelson, Kunnert and Darling played 3 years and Williams played 2 years like Fred Brown and John Johnson.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT