ADVERTISEMENT

Is girls HS wrestling getting big

Derekd3408

HR Legend
Gold Member
Feb 10, 2011
Everywhere in Iowa? I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday and he told me my old HS (which is 1A) has 19 girls out for wrestling. That seems crazy. They only had 33 kids out for football.

Reactions: ping72 and thewop
Yep. My son is in 8th grade and went out for wrestling for the first time this year. They have about 40 kids on the middle school team (7th and 8th grade). There are probably 16 girls and 24 boys. Other schools that we faced had about the same ratio.

seen a couple really bad injuries so far. Lot's of girls getting into positions and falling with straight arms.

I know at least one school in our area does not have a varsity girls basketball team this year as most girls are wrestling instead. Another middle school only has 11 girls out for basketball and normally they have a, B, and C teams at least.

I know at least one school in our area does not have a varsity girls basketball team this year as most girls are wrestling instead. Another middle school only has 11 girls out for basketball and normally they have a, B, and C teams at least.

What school doesn't have varsity girls basketball?

Very popular in Indiana right now.

A number of schools around me have stand alone girls teams. Very rarely do they wrestle in competition against boys.

Yep. My son is in 8th grade and went out for wrestling for the first time this year. They have about 40 kids on the middle school team (7th and 8th grade). There are probably 16 girls and 24 boys. Other schools that we faced had about the same ratio.
they wrestle intersexed?

I think it’s getting big everywhere. I’ve heard from the local sports radio show that a couple private colleges have started programs in the last 3 years or so and they talk with highschool age girls about joining the highschool program. Grappling is good exercise and good self defense.

Reactions: Theyset.theStage
I think football is declining everywhere... Brain injury threat

I expect it will continue to happen. Varying degrees of moving away, and it will vary based on demographics and region, but slowly, over decades this will be the trend. There will be a portion that always plays, but folks will slowly opt out unless something changes on the risk. It will be a slow change and some people will continue to say it isn't happening until its beyond the tipping point.

Reactions: Colonoscopy
I suppose girl's wrestling is a good way to offer a sport to the ones not good enough to play basketball.
I realize you are being a shitty troll, however...

God forbid we provide opportunities for kids to participate in something and learn the life lessons available from those activities.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I realize you are being a shitty troll, however...

God forbid we provide opportunities for kids to participate in something and learn the life lessons available from those activities.

Oh not trolling.

Iowa winters are cold.

Previously the girls who weren't talented enough to play basketball only had cheerleading as an alternative. Well that and bowling at select schools.

I suppose girl's wrestling is a good way to offer a sport to the ones not good enough to play basketball.
giphy.gif

Quit falling for it boys...his HORT game is as weak as he is.

Everywhere in Iowa? I was talking with a friend of mine yesterday and he told me my old HS (which is 1A) has 19 girls out for wrestling. That seems crazy. They only had 33 kids out for football.

My guess is that a lot of kids are going to see what's happening at the University of Iowa in the coming years with their program, see what's happening with the buzz in their school (and there's definitely a buzz) about being the first to break the barrier, some kids that are just going to have grown up around it with their brothers and parents, and dad's that didn't get the boys they hoped for - add all that together and it will continue to become popular. A lot of states are definitely wrestling states and Iowa is one of them. I honestly can't believe it took this long to see it become more mainstream.

I think football is declining everywhere... Brain injury threat
I won't argue against that, but I know in the school district I grew up in its apathy. They have won maybe 20 games in the last 8 years and kids aren't excited to go out and get their asses kicked every Friday night. They focus on basketball and baseball. The middle school has 15 8th graders and 13 7th graders out, but they have been good since flag football and have a great coach who excites the kids. The HS does not have that.

My guess is that a lot of kids are going to see what's happening at the University of Iowa in the coming years with their program, see what's happening with the buzz in their school (and there's definitely a buzz) about being the first to break the barrier, and some kids that are just going to have grown up around it with their brothers and parents, dad's that didn't get the boys they hoped for - add all that together and it will continue to become popular. A lot of states are definitely wrestling states and Iowa is one of them. I honestly can't believe it took this long to see it become more mainstream.
Yeah, it appears so. I was just blown away that a school with 220 kids in the HS has 19 girls out for wrestling.

Reactions: cigaretteman
I won't argue against that, but I know in the school district I grew up in its apathy. They have won maybe 20 games in the last 8 years and kids aren't excited to go out and get their asses kicked every Friday night. They focus on basketball and baseball. The middle school has 15 8th graders and 13 7th graders out, but they have been good since flag football and have a great coach who excites the kids. The HS does not have that.

It’s not just football… Interest in sports in general falls off a cliff among the people under about 25-30 years old.

Yeah, it appears so. I was just blown away that a school with 220 kids in the HS has 19 girls out for wrestling.

I know at least one dad who has a daughter who would be awesome at wrestling… And he’s glad that she would be able to wrestle other girls… But he was still a little bit nervous about all male coaches.

I think once this new wave of female wrestlers are old enough to also start coaching. You’ll see an even bigger surge in numbers.

There are enough girls now that they don't compete in meets intersexed, but they do in practice.

I wrestled through 8th grade. 1 girl on a all boys team. She practiced with the boys and wrestled other boys from school. This was in the mid 90s. I don't think she ever one a match.

It’s not just football… Interest in sports in general falls off a cliff among the people under about 25-30 years old.
Just shocking, it wasn't that way at all when I was growing up. My freshman year we had 48 kids out for football. That's with classes of 35-40, so 150ish kids. In 20010 we joined with a school that had a slightly higher enrollment and always had 40-50 kidd out for football as well. Those two schools have 33 this year. That's nuts.

Really... why do you say that?
Both in fandom and participation:

Just shocking, it wasn't that way at all when I was growing up. My freshman year we had 48 kids out for football. That's with classes of 35-40, so 150ish kids. In 20010 we joined with a school that had a slightly higher enrollment and always had 40-50 kidd out for football as well. Those two schools have 33 this year. That's nuts.

I graduated in 1998. My high school had a little over 60 kids in each grade… So obviously around half of those (30ish) were boys. We were able to field an entire team from every single grade with backups.

Reactions: Derekd3408
Haha... this reminds me of when I had my 7 year old try wrestling. Goes to his first tournament and his first match was against a girl. Both him and I were confident he would win that first match. Proceeded to get his ass kicked by her. She then continued to kick the crap out of the rest of the boys in the bracket to win first place. She was a little bad ass.

Really... why do you say that?
I think this true. My daughter(no pic) is a freshman in HS in pretty decent sized school. They only have 4 girls out for basketball this year. The year round volleyball really killed the BB numbers. The specialization of an individual sports has really hurt the numbers in the whole.

Not to mention its seems like kids who aren't starters just don't want to go to practice to sit on the bench anymore. When I was in HS we had 100 plus boys out for football. The same school has probably has 40 boys now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT