ADVERTISEMENT

Is girls HS wrestling getting big

I don't know if I can watch girls wrestle. Hell men's is a lot of grabbing and crap, but I just don't think it's a healthy thing to do. Esp with men coaching them and what seems to be hundreds of pedos in ever town. This isn't going to end well.

Reactions: Bonerfarts
I don't know if I can watch girls wrestle. Hell men's is a lot of grabbing and crap, but I just don't think it's a healthy thing to do. Esp with men coaching them and what seems to be hundreds of pedos in ever town. This isn't going to end well.

If it's girl on girl action... what's the issue? Agree there's always a threat of coaches misbehaving, but I think those that do are in a very small minority, still.

If it's girl on girl action... what's the issue? Agree there's always a threat of coaches misbehaving, but I think those that do are in a very small minority, still.
It's underage girl on girl action my friend. Would you allow your daughter, of that age, to participate? I don't care about the Olympics. They are grown ass women and they should be free to beat on each other.

Reactions: Tenacious E
Keep a woman coach/assistant on the team for eyes on practices and to stop locker room shenanigans. I think the most problematic thing is how wrestlers like to celebrate after a big victory, it’s a bit problematic.

5a9352bcc8ced.image.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: blhawk and GOHOX69
I'm no prude but it just has the wrong vibe. Some dude is coaching girls wrestling at Prairie and they had it on tv. Seemed so weird to see them practicing with him as the coach. Ugh.

It's underage girl on girl action my friend. Would you allow your daughter, of that age, to participate? I don't care about the Olympics. They are grown ass women and they should be free to beat on each other.
If she wanted to? I guess I'm not seeing your point. Unless it's all wrapped up in having a male coach.

Reactions: artradley
I just think some sports are designed for boys and some girls and some both.
I understand your qualms but it’s really good exercise and self defense. Knowing how to use your body to get out of somebody grabbing or holding you is one of the big benefits of wrestling. It’s also great for feeling self growth and individual accomplishment. I think it’s good for everybody but I’d understand folks wanting to keep their girls out of it. I wouldn’t want a daughter wearing those volleyball spanks I know how creepy some dudes are.

Reactions: GOHOX69
I understand your qualms but it’s really good exercise and self defense. Knowing how to use your body to get out of somebody grabbing or holding you is one of the big benefits of wrestling. It’s also great for feeling self growth and individual accomplishment. I think it’s good for everybody but I’d understand folks wanting to keep their girls out of it. I know how creepy some dudes are.
I also agree with you re: volleyball and happy to see more people allowing girls and even collegiate to wear sweat pant like outfits that cover up to their ankle. I ain't no sharia law dude but some of those outfits, especially in the 80's, left nothing to the imagination.

I just think some sports are designed for boys and some girls and some both.
On what criteria? I suppose your best argument would be that given the physiology of a sex that certain movements in certain sports might be more likely to result in injury. But I can't think of any sport where this is such an overwhelming threat that they should cease participation.

Any sex can play any sport, it would seem. (not talking about intersexed competition)

They do freestyle...so they are on their feet most of the time. Volleyball shorts are more revealing than a singlet.

Last edited:
Reactions: gohawks50
A couple of points here.

First, girls wrestling is growing because from the top to the bottom, people in charge of wrestling are aggressively pushing for girls programs and doing everything they can to persuade girls to get involved. The reason is because Title IX has endangered wrestling at the HS and college level, because it has always been a men's only sport. Wrestling's leaders are pushing girls wrestling in order to save the sport.

Second, I believe just as many kids are involved in HS sports today as every, but participation numbers in individual sports are down because kids are specializing in a single sport. So where in the 80's a kid like my son would have probably participated in three sports, but as a 2014 HS graduate he specialized in wrestling, thus eliminating participant in football and baseball. I don't believe this is going to change any time soon; it is the new normal.

Second, I believe just as many kids are involved in HS sports today as every, but participation numbers in individual sports are down because kids are specializing in a single sport. So where in the 80's a kid like my son would have probably participated in three sports, but as a 2014 HS graduate he specialized in wrestling, thus eliminating participant in football and baseball. I don't believe this is going to change any time soon; it is the new normal.

Kids also switch to complimentary sports. Had alot of basketball players and wrestlers join the cross county team in High School just to force themselves to build more endurance.

There are also more opportunities to participate in competing sports/activities. Soccer in the fall, lacrosse in the spring and the explosion of the winter arts activities (at least in Indiana). When I was in school we had a number of kids who were in marching band and football, and then played a winter sport. My kids are now just band year round.

They did when I was in HS. There were a couple schools that participated in duals at my HS over the three years I was there that had a girl on their team.
Sure. Big difference between allowing the few girls really into wrestling the opportunity to do so because there were no girls teams vs having a whole bunch of both sex interested and having them wrestle amongst themselves. (at least once puberty starts to hit)

If you want to try to capture the weirdo / creep state title away from Florida, having underage girls wrestling each other catch fire as an emerging popular high school sport is definitely a step in the right direction. Well done Iowa. But you still have a lot of work to do. It’s going to take more than that.

Should be good for the jello industry. Oh wait, not that kind of girls wrestling?

• Haha
Some of the intangibles of the mat, being competitive, overcoming adversity, quickly moving on after a loss, dedication to a craft, are all things that young people will be better for having experienced that in wrestling, goes for both males and females.

Some suburban high schools offer girls the opportunity
to play volleyball, swimming, basketball, softball, track and
field, golf, bowling, tennis, soccer. Wrestling is not available
in our school district. Girls have enough choices in sports
and can make an impact.

Last edited:
If you want to try to capture the weirdo / creep state title away from Florida, having underage girls wrestling each other catch fire as an emerging popular high school sport is definitely a step in the right direction. Well done Iowa. But you still have a lot of work to do. It’s going to take more than that.

Florida sanctioned girls wrestling before Iowa.

Always been curious about what makes wrestling popular in rural areas and not as much in urban. Lack of human contact that they long for out there maybe? I dunno...

Let Dim Kim know about the male coaches and girl wrestlers.

She can then "join 20 other Republican Governors" and get this straightened out.

Always been curious about what makes wrestling popular in rural areas and not as much in urban. Lack of human contact that they long for out there maybe? I dunno...

Because urban kids cannot keep up with rural kids that have been throwing hay bales around since they were 3 😁

Reactions: cigaretteman
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT