ADVERTISEMENT

Is Hy-Vee a premier grocery chain?

torbee

HR King
Gold Member
I guess, objectively, it is one of the better regional chains. Clean stores, good customer service, relatively wide selection.

But I have complaints. It’s run out so many other stores, it’s prices are kind of ridiculous. It has also cornered the market on liquor, at least here in the Quad Cities, which sucks, because while they have some high end stuff, they still don’t carry anywhere near the selection a solid standalone independent liquor store does.

We need a Binny’s here. That would be a license to print money, especially if they had more rare stuff HyVee won’t carry.

I think we're still a premium chain. There has been some decisions I have disagreed with but all I can do is continue on my goal to win a legendary customer service award.

The biggest mess ups they've done has been their food service. They tried to go upscale and flipped the finger to the guy that loved our meatloaf and cheesy potatoes.

The one here quickly had the nicest people I interacted with from target and local grocers change jobs after they opened due to pay and such. They’ve got a lot of stuff, but their deli here sucks. shits burnt or they change out things like mashed potatoes way to late. Whalburgers is okay, I guess. Hyvee has the best seafood/fish selection in the area and ok fresh cut meat. The place is sized to kill local competition so I’ll have to see if they can keep up ok quality for relatively decent price in 3-5 years. I still usually shop at a grocer that allows you to have an account that you pay once a month. I don’t take advantage but I just can’t believe it when I see them sign the receipts.

Reactions: torbee
Hy-vee ****ing sucks and their prices are outrageous.

I’ll keep shopping at Trader Joe’s and Fareway meat market
I'll pay higher prices to not have to wait more than 3 minutes to checkout, and if there are too many people waiting they actually open another register. Plus, the higher prices keep out most of the poors.;)

I'll pay higher prices to not have to wait more than 3 minutes to checkout, and if there are too many people waiting they actually open another register. Plus, the higher prices keep out most of the poors.;)
Your Hy-Vee is better than ours then. They have like three checkouts where they check you out and all the rest are self check out. It’s not uncommon to have to wait 10 to 15 minutes in line just to get to where they will check you out.

I think we're still a premium chain. There has been some decisions I have disagreed with but all I can do is continue on my goal to win a legendary customer service award.

The biggest mess ups they've done has been their food service. They tried to go upscale and flipped the finger to the guy that loved our meatloaf and cheesy potatoes.

I also think they never should have put out a Mark Wahlberg cardboard cutout in all the Mark Wahlberg supplement aisles. Like, why a dude?

Reactions: Moral
Your Hy-Vee is better than ours then. They have like three checkouts where they check you out and all the rest are self check out. It’s not uncommon to have to wait 10 to 15 minutes in line just to get to where they will check you out.

You can thank the "enhanced" unemployment benefits for that situation.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
I like the older laid back "home town" Hy-Vee better. The day after they dropped the "helpful smile in every isle" slogan, the smiling helpful produce guy I talked with for years said GFY when I greeted him.;)
True story: the guy that came up with the “Helpful smile in every aisle” slogan is the SAME GUY who invented “in the land of sky blue waters…..WAAAAAATERS!” for Hamm’ beer.

Even COOLER!?

He is also a Daily Iowan alum like me. I met him a few years ago at a DI alumni dinner. He was over 90 and sharp as a tack. He came up with both slogans while working as a partner in a Minneapolis advertising firm.

Thanks for the response, seriously.

Like I said, I like Hy-Vee and think they do well. Almost too well, in small and mid-sizes metros, because they kill competition. Even St’ Louis based Schnuck’s couldn’t compete here in the QC. It’s awesome for bigger metros like the twin cities and Milwaukee, that have other competition. But I feel like we in Iowa are all consigned to the “company store.”

Reactions: DooBi
Love HyVee. Mostly because I know where everything is and it’s close to my house. Also close friends with some higher ups and they’re really great people.

Reactions: Pinehawk
It beats Kroger (and any Kroger owned grocer).

Kroger’s is the styrofoam of grocers.

If you watch “Stranger Things” you have seen the upside-down world. In one of the upside-down scenes you will see a Kroger in the background. It’s the only grocery store in the upside-down.

More RC Cola is sold at Kroger’s than any other grocery chain.

Kroger’s ads in the Sunday paper feature water-chestnuts and Spam every week.

Kroger’s generic brand has its own generic brand.

Anyone can get a job at Kroger by passing their famous “two-fingers to the jugular vein” test.

Kroger’s Accounting department patented the word “Deli” as “Delicatessen” was deemed inefficient.

All Kroger’s customer service counters include TicketMaster services. However, you can only purchase Nickleback and MLS tickets.

Dry-cleaning service at Kroger still comes out a little wet.

At Kroger, you can get fresh Mac & Cheese to take home but it’s meant to be microwaved. You can also get coleslaw to-go but you’ll have to refrigerate it first.

Every Kroger shopping cart has one wheel that’s jammed with hair.

The Kroger employee manual specifically states never to play Rod Stewart or Richard Marx music in the store to avoid agitating customers and employees.

It’s just meh.

Reactions: THE_DEVIL
The local Hy Vee added a Starbucks so when they remodeled they narrowed the aisles where you can barely get past another cart and quit carrying several items.

Reactions: Moral
I like Hy Vee's usually - much like fast food chains, each store has its own reputation and pluses-minuses. Here in CR - some are great, some are "oh hail no".

I just wish they weren't so damn expensive. Haven't been to "my Hy Vee" in over 2 months now.

I like Hy Vee's usually - much like fast food chains, each store has its own reputation and pluses-minuses. Here in CR - some are great, some are "oh hail no".

I just wish they weren't so damn expensive. Haven't been to "my Hy Vee" in over 2 months now.
Club Publix in Tally was a wonderful place for sightseeing while grabbing some morsels

I guess, objectively, it is one of the better regional chains. Clean stores, good customer service, relatively wide selection.

But I have complaints. It’s run out so many other stores, it’s prices are kind of ridiculous. It has also cornered the market on liquor, at least here in the Quad Cities, which sucks, because while they have some high end stuff, they still don’t carry anywhere near the selection a solid standalone independent liquor store does.

We need a Binny’s here. That would be a license to print money, especially if they had more rare stuff HyVee won’t carry.
If you want selection try the hy-vee on Kimberly in between bett and the mall in Davenport. My BIL and I were in a scotch quest and their selection was pretty good. But yeah, we could find what we wanted. As far as being premium, no. When they start lamb kabobs from behind the meat counter then maybe I will consider it. That to me is the hoity toity litmus test.

No they don't. Most HyVees shit on Publix.
Sure they do.

NOV19-We-Are-Laughing-Eyman.gif

With all of the renovations, id say yes. They now have fire ovens, sushi counters, live cooking classes and so on. Their fresh bread bakery is awesome.

Reactions: Hawkfan757
Sure they do.

NOV19-We-Are-Laughing-Eyman.gif
I’ve been to both with my parents living in North Carolina for the past 25 years. They are basically the same chain. In southern terms, fresh market is more what I consider premium, and nationally, Whole Foods.

Thanks for the response, seriously.

Like I said, I like Hy-Vee and think they do well. Almost too well, in small and mid-sizes metros, because they kill competition. Even St’ Louis based Schnuck’s couldn’t compete here in the QC. It’s awesome for bigger metros like the twin cities and Milwaukee, that have other competition. But I feel like we in Iowa are all consigned to the “company store.”
Despite my previous posts, The new one in prairie trail in ankeny is pretty different and nice. They sell dry-aged steak which they age in-house at the store, which is pretty rare.

I'm not sure what I would expect in a "full service" grocery store that I don't get at the nicer Hy Vee's. Sure, Binny's is a much better liquor store, I think Fareway has better meat, Whole Foods, Trader Joe's probably have more specialty high-end stuff - but I'm not really into shopping at multiple stores. Hy Vee is a great store.

I work too hard for my money to throw some of it away shopping at HyVee...but their Hynese does rock and for the time being is worth the money.

HyVee has tried to make themselves a "premier" chain. I remember when Dahls tried to do this locally in the DSM area and went tits up trying.

Don't shop at Aldis but they are interesting. Used to be anyone but the poors wouldn't be caught dead in one...now they are the fashionable place to be seen going into.......that has had to take something away from HyVee.

• Haha
Reactions: RileyHawk
It beats Kroger (and any Kroger owned grocer).

Kroger’s is the styrofoam of grocers.

If you watch “Stranger Things” you have seen the upside-down world. In one of the upside-down scenes you will see a Kroger in the background. It’s the only grocery store in the upside-down.

More RC Cola is sold at Kroger’s than any other grocery chain.

Kroger’s ads in the Sunday paper feature water-chestnuts and Spam every week.

Kroger’s generic brand has its own generic brand.

Anyone can get a job at Kroger by passing their famous “two-fingers to the jugular vein” test.

Kroger’s Accounting department patented the word “Deli” as “Delicatessen” was deemed inefficient.

All Kroger’s customer service counters include TicketMaster services. However, you can only purchase Nickleback and MLS tickets.

Dry-cleaning service at Kroger still comes out a little wet.

At Kroger, you can get fresh Mac & Cheese to take home but it’s meant to be microwaved. You can also get coleslaw to-go but you’ll have to refrigerate it first.

Every Kroger shopping cart has one wheel that’s jammed with hair.

The Kroger employee manual specifically states never to play Rod Stewart or Richard Marx music in the store to avoid agitating customers and employees.

It’s just meh.
I've been a Kroger customer for 25 years. Urban Kroger stores suck. Suburban Kroger stores are great.

Reactions: golfinghawkeye
Hyvee has always been a quality chain. However, they are slipping and rather quickly. You can certainly tell they've expanded rapidly and have looked at ways to cut corners to maintain expansion rate.

We're lucky in Cedar Rapids area, most of the HyVee stores are very nice, I'm in Marion now and the one there is awesome. But they have good competition in the area with the two Targets, 3 Wal-Marts, and I think 4 Fareways now if I'm counting right. You throw in the Aldi's and they can't get to out of control on pricing.

A true liquor store chain would be awesome though, we have Benz in downtown Cedar Rapids that carries pretty much anything you would ever want to find but they have no real competition other than HyVee liquor stores but they don't have the selection Benz does so they have no real reason to keep their prices down.

TOO FUC$ING EXPENSIVE!!!! Guess I’m just a poor but a while back I picked up an 8 pack of Gatorade for $7. Same thing was at Walmart for $5. I never go there unless it’s Sunday and I can’t wait. People that go there consistently are apparently fine with throwing money away.

Reactions: nbkm and Moral
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT