ADVERTISEMENT

Is Iowa landing recruits that can compete with Penn St for the next coming years?

This has been discussed before, but maybe it needs to be discussed again? Tom Brands as well as Tom Ryan both commented on the ability to be able to do what Fale at F*** st is getting away with. Some on this board dug real deep into the compliance Dept in happy hole.

Once again, you only need to look at what has taken place over there to know something is not the same as everywhere else! Will this NIL crap help or hurt remains to be seen. this year alone they brought in 3 transfers to fill holes. They have 2 AA type wrestlers at Heavy and 197. 125 has been a merry go round that never stops and they have brought in and lost so many high end guys it is almost a joke to think about!

None of this has ever been done before. Hell they were talking about Manville being a "black shirt" (whatever in hell that is???) JR.!!!! They have taken the ivy league gray shirts added that. goes on and on...... Bottom line is, $$$$$ has to be coming from somewhere???
Just wise investments..

With the current climate of the world, especially now with the Olympics in China, and the ill treatment of human rights there, I may find this one more offensive. Either way, it has been sent to the IOC in the hopes that you and your evil ways will be cancelled.

My hopes in joining this group was finding a fanbase that was acceptive of everyone's differences. A place where we all would type in unity and sometimes sing Kum'by'ya. Sadly, you people are the farthest thing from that. I also really feel bad for this "Carl" guy. He's treated like crap on a regular basis in here, and you people encourage it.

I just don't know if I can continue here.

But I must give a little credit though. My son and I were at the dual this weekend against Wisconsin. I was SO impressed with some of the crowd. I think it was the heavyweight match, the WI kid was really tired. I mean he could barely keep his head up when he was on bottom. I heard so many people screaming at the coaches and the ref to get him a pillow! My son was SO excited that he too began yelling it, " GET THAT MAN A PILLOW!" Now that is the type of caring I was hoping to find in this room. I guess I was wrong....

So disappointed right now.
Cesspool is just an anagram for disappintment. Or something close.......... Maybe............. ;)

Reactions: ao_coachphil
With the current climate of the world, especially now with the Olympics in China, and the ill treatment of human rights there, I may find this one more offensive. Either way, it has been sent to the IOC in the hopes that you and your evil ways will be cancelled.

My hopes in joining this group was finding a fanbase that was acceptive of everyone's differences. A place where we all would type in unity and sometimes sing Kum'by'ya. Sadly, you people are the farthest thing from that. I also really feel bad for this "Carl" guy. He's treated like crap on a regular basis in here, and you people encourage it.

I just don't know if I can continue here.

But I must give a little credit though. My son and I were at the dual this weekend against Wisconsin. I was SO impressed with some of the crowd. I think it was the heavyweight match, the WI kid was really tired. I mean he could barely keep his head up when he was on bottom. I heard so many people screaming at the coaches and the ref to get him a pillow! My son was SO excited that he too began yelling it, " GET THAT MAN A PILLOW!" Now that is the type of caring I was hoping to find in this room. I guess I was wrong....

So disappointed right now.
You had me worried for a moment, that you were turning soft on us - then I read your Kum'by'ya and Karl comments, and I was relieved :)

It extremely well known but the brand might not carry the weight the way it once did. Like ND or USC football compared to Alabama for example .
But it is still significant.
As far as wrestling goes, the majority of NIL deals are going to be local though since Wrestling doesn't carry the national appeal like football. So I'm not sure this matters to this point. If Iowa can locally produce NIL money as PSU can produce it locally at least in a similar manner. I think it speaks more to the point someone made abotu Iowa hiring an NIL marketing professional to make sure we are producing these deals for our athletes/recrutis

Reactions: Longbeard4097
Once we have the facility done if we can bankroll the HWC to match the level of psu then we will be fine.

3 transfers to fill holes
Hildebrandt and who else? He's tall for a 125 but still only counts as one.

Dean didn't fill a hole, given Beard AA'ed last year.

True PSU has AA caliber backups at 197 (Beard) and 285 (SNevills). But unlike Iowa, PSU lacks AA caliber freshmen whose redshirt they could pull to fill a hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpat
This has been discussed before, but maybe it needs to be discussed again? Tom Brands as well as Tom Ryan both commented on the ability to be able to do what Fale at F*** st is getting away with. Some on this board dug real deep into the compliance Dept in happy hole.

Once again, you only need to look at what has taken place over there to know something is not the same as everywhere else! Will this NIL crap help or hurt remains to be seen. this year alone they brought in 3 transfers to fill holes. They have 2 AA type wrestlers at Heavy and 197. 125 has been a merry go round that never stops and they have brought in and lost so many high end guys it is almost a joke to think about!

None of this has ever been done before. Hell they were talking about Manville being a "black shirt" (whatever in hell that is???) JR.!!!! They have taken the ivy league gray shirts added that. goes on and on...... Bottom line is, $$$$$ has to be coming from somewhere???
Is it anything like:

- pulling two redshirts at 125 because redshirts don’t really matter when you have such riches; losing one best wrestlers on the planet to injury and just inserting a backup that immediately beats AA-level wrestlers?

- Sitting the #3 guy and title contending former transfer at 133 because you again have a top level backup and again don’t need worry about his redshirt because you have such riches?

- manning 141 with a title contending transfer while a freshman 3x state champ and son of a world champ / Olympic silver medalist waits his turn?

- being so loaded at 149 that a senior with a career record of 70-21 and that won three matches at nationals in 2018 only sees starting action on senior day, where he almost takes out a top 5 guy?

- having a backup at 165 that almost beat your 4-time all American starter in a season opening tournament as a freshman?

- getting a 2x NAIA national champ to transfer in at 174 and pulling his redshirt for an open tournament that he could have wrestled at unattached because, again, who needs redshirts when you just reload every year with transfers and top level recruits?

- having two guys at 184 that have been ranked when named the starter?

- having a backup at 197 that was a two-time state champ with 220 high school wins, went 19-2 as a freshman wrestling unattached and was the junior national runner-up?

- Having a back-up HWT that hasn’t wrestled since beating a ranked guy at the Scuffle?

I don’t know how Iowa is expected to compete with such shortcomings.

Is it anything like:

- pulling two redshirts at 125 because redshirts don’t really matter when you have such riches; losing one best wrestlers on the planet to injury and just inserting a backup that immediately beats AA-level wrestlers?

- Sitting the #3 guy and title contending former transfer at 133 because you again have a top level backup and again don’t need worry about his redshirt because you have such riches?

- manning 141 with a title contending transfer while a freshman 3x state champ and son of a world champ / Olympic silver medalist waits his turn?

- being so loaded at 149 that a senior with a career record of 70-21 and that won three matches at nationals in 2018 only sees starting action on senior day, where he almost takes out a top 5 guy?

- having a backup at 165 that almost beat your 4-time all American starter in a season opening tournament as a freshman?

- getting a 2x NAIA national champ to transfer in at 174 and pulling his redshirt for an open tournament that he could have wrestled at unattached because, again, who needs redshirts when you just reload every year with transfers and top level recruits?

- having a backup at 197 that was a two-time state champ with 220 high school wins, went 19-2 as a freshman wrestling unattached and was the junior national runner-up?

- Having a back-up HWT that hasn’t wrestled since beating a ranked guy at the Scuffle?

did we make you a hawk fan!? thanks for the compliments

Is it anything like:

you did leave out 157 though..im sure you'll think of something

did we make you a hawk fan!? thanks for the compliments
Just pointing out that Iowa is just as loaded, if not more, as PSU to a post accusing PSU of cheating. Really the only difference between the two teams is how high the AAs are. Iowa has better depth, PSU maybe a bit more star power (at least withSpencer Lee missing action).

you did leave out 157 though..im sure you'll think of something
:) didn’t see quite the same level backup there. I’m sure I’ll live to eat those words. I’ll say this… that research was an eye-opener; you guys are stacked. I didn’t check eligibility at 285, so you might need something there after this year, but otherwise… wow.

Just pointing out that Iowa is just as loaded, if not more, as PSU to a post accusing PSU of cheating. Really the only difference between the two teams is how high the AAs are. Iowa has better depth, PSU maybe a bit more star power (at least withSpencer Lee missing action).
Put the bong down. You're definitely loaded.

Just wise investments..
OH LORD REALY!?!??!
Hildebrandt and who else? He's tall for a 125 but still only counts as one.

Dean didn't fill a hole, given Beard AA'ed last year.

True PSU has AA caliber backups at 197 (Beard) and 285 (SNevills). But unlike Iowa, PSU lacks AA caliber freshman whose redshirt they could pull to fill a hole.
They brought in Hildebrandt, Head wrap concussion guy, and dean this year. They brought in kirk last year. AA caliber freshman is called REAL RECRUITING!
Is it anything like:

I mean really???? IOWA does real recruiting AND builds talent. Out of ALL the guys you are talking about. How many were top 10 recruits? Top 20?? How about top 5 P4P in their weight classes??? This is extremely different then what I am talking about!

Yes IOWA had to pull redshirts. I am sure that was a last resort. This is how the system is suppose to work. A kid comes in recruited to replace a kid going out. He has a year to redshirt and get use to college and college wrestling etc.... IF need be, or if he is your best option, you pull his shirt.

Waaaayyyyy different then having an AA type guy, who HAS TO BE taking up some scholly $$$$. Yet you recruit OVER him and do so at the three hardest weights to fill to boot!

Some fools keep bring up Desanto, and Eierman. Had Iowa already have 2 AAs at these weights, it is highly doubtful that the would or even could, make an offer to bring these guys in. Fale and F*** st, have used a slush fund, games, gimmicks, shirts, walk years, leap years, etc.... and made a mockery of everyone else.

It is very much like the Yankees under George H. Just look at 125. It is beyond remarkable what has happened at that weight over the last several years. They have brought and lost so much top talent, you have to shake your head. Top recruits from NY, NJ, IOWA, PA, and on and on...... HOW????? Once more, how did they get a guy who is "retired" and another retired and coaching to jump in?

Just for fun, since you seem to be one with some answers? Just give me ANY wrestling team, from ANY time, that did ANY of these things? Give me just ONE team that had a heavy weight who was an AA type, and then they brought in a transfer over him? Do the same at 197!

Give me ONE team, that lost a TOP wrestler in the nation at any weight. Then went on to sign a top P4P kid every year, for the next 4-5 years!!!! OH, when that did not work out, they brought in an AA that was not wrestling at the school he was in for the last 4 years!!!

GOOD LUCK, do your research, I will wait.

OH LORD REALY!?!??!

They brought in Hildebrandt, Head wrap concussion guy, and dean this year. They brought in kirk last year. AA caliber freshman is called REAL RECRUITING!

I mean really???? IOWA does real recruiting AND builds talent. Out of ALL the guys you are talking about. How many were top 10 recruits? Top 20?? How about top 5 P4P in their weight classes??? This is extremely different then what I am talking about!

Yes IOWA had to pull redshirts. I am sure that was a lot resort. This is how the system is suppose to work. A kid comes in recruited to replace a kid going out. He has a year to redshirt and get use to college and college wrestling etc.... IF need be, or if he is your best option, you pull his shirt.

Waaaayyyyy different then having an AA type guy, who HAS TO BE taking up some scholly $$$$. Yet you recruit OVER him and do so at the three hardest weights to fill to boot!

Some fools keep bring up Desanto, and Eierman. Had Iowa already have 2 AAs at these weights, it is highly doubtful that the would or even could, make an offer to bring these guys in. Fale and F*** st, have used a slush fund, games, gimmicks, shirts, walk years, leap years, etc.... and made a mockery of everyone else.

It is very much like the Yankees under George H. Just look at 125. It is beyond remarkable what has happened at that weight over the last several years. They have brought and lost so much top talent, you have to shake your head. Top recruits from NY, NJ, IOWA, PA, and on and on...... HOW????? Once more, how did they get a guy who is "retired" and another retired and coaching to jump in?

Just for fun, since you seem to be one with some answers? Just give me ANY wrestling team, from ANY time, that did ANY of these things? Give me just ONE team that had a heavy weight who was an AA type, and then they brought in a transfer over him? Do the same at 197!

Give me ONE team, that lost a TOP wrestler in the nation at any weight. Then went on to sign a top P4P kid every year, for the next 4-5 years!!!! OH, when that did not work out, they brought in an AA that was not wrestling at the school he was in fro the last 4 years!!!

If you think I’m doing MORE research, you’re nuts. I now know more about your roster than I ever thought I would. I’ll respond only to your comments at 125… it sure felt like we were close to swapping some of those guys.

Last edited:
OH LORD REALY!?!??!

Yes IOWA had to pull redshirts. I am sure that was a last resort. This is how the system is suppose to work. A kid comes in recruited to replace a kid going out. He has a year to redshirt and get use to college and college wrestling etc.... IF need be, or if he is your best option, you pull his shirt.

Give me ONE team, that lost a TOP wrestler in the nation at any weight. Then went on to sign a top P4P kid every year, for the next 4-5 years!!!! OH, when that did not work out, they brought in an AA that was not wrestling at the school he was in for the last 4 years!!!

Sometimes fewer words are better.

Berge (aka "headwrap concussion guy") did not transfer. Also, Berge approached PSU with SDSU's blessing to take a hiatus from his coaching role.

Dean was not brought in to fill a hole. He left Cornell before the season started because he didn't want to risk the Ivy League sitting out another Covid year. He approached PSU without any guarantee of a spot.

I agree two guys (so far) who weren't on the roster at the beginning of the year arrived and filled holes.

Most on HR don't have a problem with it, and expect Iowa would do the same.

Sometimes fewer words are better.

Berge (aka "headwrap concussion guy") did not transfer. Also, Berge approached PSU with SDSU's blessing to take a hiatus from his coaching role.

Dean was not brought in to fill a hole. He left Cornell before the season started because he didn't want to risk the Ivy League sitting out another Covid year. He approached PSU without any guarantee of a spot.

I agree two guys (so far) who weren't on the roster at the beginning of the year arrived and filled holes.

Most on HR don't have a problem with it, and expect Iowa would do the same.
Transfers are part of it now. That said, I see three guys in the starting lineup that didn’t start their careers there. On both squads.

Reactions: Sullivan
:) didn’t see quite the same level backup there. I’m sure I’ll live to eat those words. I’ll say this… that research was an eye-opener; you guys are stacked. I didn’t check eligibility at 285, so you might need something there after this year, but otherwise… wow.
I think its safe to say Iowa will be looking hard at the portal at 157 this year. Robles is the only backup listed (I think he ends up at 165 anyway and all of the 149 don't seem to have the size yet)

Edit: this offseason*

In an interview Damion Hahn said that Berge wanted to wrestle for SDSU first, but wouldn't be eligible. The only path to competition for him was to wrestle at PSU. Hahn gave him his blessing to pursue it. PSU was not Berge's first choice.

Is it anything like:

This is only because the NCAA really doesn't give a sh-- about wrestling. Their 9.9 scholarships are a joke and so is their team having 100?? guys in the wrestling room on no scholarships and yet just lucky they have a sugar daddy as a booster.. NIL at its best.

Just wise investments..
I'm a PSU grad and alum, if my son wrestled and PSU wanted him Iowa wouldn't have a chance. Mainly due to geography. Traveling like 900 miles to see matches compared to 25-125 miles is a big difference in time and money spent. Close to home means I see 1/2 or more of his matches. Scholarship money wouldn't be my concern.

I'm a PSU grad and alum, if my son wrestled and PSU wanted him Iowa wouldn't have a chance. Mainly due to geography. Traveling like 900 miles to see matches compared to 25-125 miles is a big difference in time and money spent. Close to home means I see 1/2 or more of his matches. Scholarship money wouldn't be my concern.
Would your son get a say in the matter or nah?

Scholarship money wasn't a consideration for us when our son made his decision. He lives and goes to boarding school there in PA. Has for three years. PSU wanted him. As did a couple other programs. Honestly, I would have supported him 100% had he chose PSU. It would have been the easy decision to make. However for him, Iowa was the RIGHT decision to make. We live in GA. It's 1000 miles either way to Iowa City, or to Happy Valley. And I'm sure I'll be on a plane often. Bottom line though, for us, it was about my son and his dreams and goals. My wants and desires were never a factor.

Scholarship money wasn't a consideration for us when our son made his decision. He lives and goes to boarding school there in PA. Has for three years. PSU wanted him. As did a couple other programs. Honestly, I would have supported him 100% had he chose PSU. It would have been the easy decision to make. However for him, Iowa was the RIGHT decision to make. We live in GA. It's 1000 miles either way to Iowa City, or to Happy Valley. And I'm sure I'll be on a plane often. Bottom line though, for us, it was about my son and his dreams and goals. My wants and desires were never a factor.
I get that, however my son grew up a PSU fan and wanted to be an engineer. He went to Lehigh (he wasn't a wrestler btw). He went to Lehigh and got his Masters degree in 5 years. He works for an aerospace company in Texas. The small amount of loans he had to take out , 45K, he paid back in 2 years. Either way you were traveling to two great schools, for Jr. I was traveling in my hypothetical 25-125 miles.
So for him it would have been his favorite school , dad's school, and closest geographically for currently the best wrestling school in the last ten years or so.
A lot goes into selecting school that goes beyond money. I think Zain Retherford lived app 125 miles from PSU for another example.

Reactions: ao_coachphil
Would your son get a say in the matter or nah?
Of course he would be he was a diehard PSU fan. Iowa was never on his radar academically or Sport wise ( fandom only, he was no D1 athlete). He was probably at fifty home football games prior to him starting college at Lehigh. Which is another great wrestling school with a great engineering program. Again, both were close to home.
The amount of money he might have gained with a full or partial ride to Iowa ( hypothetically of course) would have to really outweigh PSU. And again imagination wise if he was that talented PSU would probably offer the same and I can see my kid at least half of his matches.

Reactions: Gobblin
Of course he would be he was a diehard PSU fan. Iowa was never on his radar academically or Sport wise ( fandom only, he was no D1 athlete). He was probably at fifty home football games prior to him starting college at Lehigh. Which is another great wrestling school with a great engineering program. Again, both were close to home.
The amount of money he might have gained with a full or partial ride to Iowa ( hypothetically of course) would have to really outweigh PSU. And again imagination wise if he was that talented PSU would probably offer the same and I can see my kid at least half of his matches.
To be fair, Lehigh and PSU are higher ranked for Engineering than Iowa and close to home. the kid is actually a rocket scientist now, he works at a place in Texas. He's always worked hard and got his dream job. All I'm trying to say there are multiple factors in choosing a school. With what he got scholarship wise Lehigh could have given him a partial athletically and it would have cost him and me nothing.

It's very true you are not going to win a title these days with just home grown talent however you are probably going to need 10 guys that are or close to being All Americans, and probably 5 guys in the top 4. If you can get say 3 of those guys in state every year it's going to be a lot easier to find 7 of those guys out of state than finding all 10 out of state. It's also going to be easier to get guys from Illinois and Minnesota to come to Iowa City than to get guys from New Jersey and California. Local talent is just one piece of the puzzle but it can be an important one.
Think about that…. Pull three top guys from in state EVERY YEAR?

How about three instate hammers every four years and seven top studs from out of state every four years as well?

To be fair, Lehigh and PSU are higher ranked for Engineering than Iowa and close to home. the kid is actually a rocket scientist now, he works at a place in Texas. He's always worked hard and got his dream job. All I'm trying to say there are multiple factors in choosing a school. With what he got scholarship wise Lehigh could have given him a partial athletically and it would have cost him and me nothing.
Save it for the Rocket Science forums.

Think about that…. Pull three top guys from in state EVERY YEAR?

How about three instate hammers every four years and seven top studs from out of state every four years as well?
I guess I meant those numbers on a rotation every 4 years. Or I guess having a lineup reflecting that percentage.

Reactions: el dub
I guess I meant those numbers on a rotation every 4 years. Or I guess having a lineup reflecting that percentage.
Right on. I should have figured as much. But this is the cesspool, biatches…

top 5 p4p:

Iowa (1 guy) - Marinelli #3

PSU's (3 guys)

Kerkvliet #1
Brooks #2
Bartlett #4

-------

Iowa's top 10 p4p starters:

Marinelli #3
Ayala #7
Warner #7
Kemerer #8

PSU's top 10 p4p starters:

Kerkvliet #1
Brooks #2
Bartlett #4
Berge #6
Lee #9
Starocci #9

Keep in mind, this year it's fairly close. In most of past decade, the disparity has been much wider, even more heavily in PSU's favor.

Reactions: bourbon n blues
top 5 p4p:

Iowa (1 guy) - Marinelli #3

PSU's (3 guys)

Kerkvliet #1
Brooks #2
Bartlett #4

-------

Iowa's top 10 p4p starters:

Marinelli #3
Ayala #7
Warner #7
Kemerer #8

PSU's top 10 p4p starters:

Kerkvliet #1
Brooks #2
Bartlett #4
Berge #6
Lee #9
Starocci #9

Keep in mind, this year it's fairly close. In most of past decade, the disparity has been much wider, even more heavily in PSU's favor.
RBY was #12. Beard was #11 FWIW

Reactions: bourbon n blues
Ayala was #5 on Flo's final big board and #4 on Willie's final big board. 1 below SVN on Flo's and one above SVN on Willie's.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT