ADVERTISEMENT

Is Iowa St the Only Team...

IllQChawk

HR All-American
May 29, 2001
left on Iowa's schedule that could keep this team from going undefeated in the non-conference schedule? Games in Iowa City on Dec. 6th.
Most on this board predicted a 8-3 record at best...

left on Iowa's schedule that could keep this team from going undefeated in the non-conference schedule? Games in Iowa City on Dec. 6th.
Hawks had an unexpectedly excellent tourney performance. A welcome surprise.

Those two games, though, aren't enough yet to establish them as a completely transformed team.

They are still capable of reverting to prior form or having a very off night.

Hawks had an unexpectedly excellent tourney performance. A welcome surprise.

Those two games, though, aren't enough yet to establish them as a completely transformed team.

They are still capable of reverting to prior form or having a very off night.
True, but this group appears to have grown up in a big way. They played 2 neutral/road games against quality opponents and housed both. Iowa didn't just win, they dominated both teams. Something is different about the team this year.

I’m as happy as anyone about Iowa’s start this year. However one thing I have learned about Frans teams is that they can drop fast.

Because of that I’m going to enjoy each good game until a complete quality season is put together.

I’m as happy as anyone about Iowa’s start this year. However one thing I have learned about Frans teams is that they can drop fast.

Because of that I’m going to enjoy each good game until a complete quality season is put together.
Agreed. The Hawks had a great weekend and surprised ALL of us ....let’s not get way ahead of ourselves.

Two Top 15 teams. Yes, it is early but both were ranked.

Connecticut wasn't ranked. They beat Syracuse who was ranked.

Connecticut is currently not that good of a team. They have a few pieces though to make a run at the bubble.

Reactions: studed
I count seven that could potentially keep us from going undefeated in the non-conference schedule. It’s basketball.

ISU is definitely good, but I think they end up with some chemistry issues.
If Iowa can frustrate them early I think it’s a fairly easy win.

UNI, ISU and Pitt. The in state teams are always a toss up.

Pitt is undefeated. They play St Louis on Wednesday. The Billikens are tough. They are undefeated as well And will be playing at home. If Pitt gets by them. Then they will be a good opponent..

Seems like it’s all about handling success and adversity. And trust me, adversity is coming. Happens to every team, every year. Hope we don’t see the same story we’ve seen before with Fran coached teams.

Nice run/streak, ranked, positive attention...then a collapse. Be it team chemistry, playing too tight, worried about not losing instead of winning.

Reactions: yiana and And1Hawk
I was in Des Moines last week and I think his name was Andy Phale (spelling?) on NBC and he went on and on about ISU. His commentary was hilarious...he said ISU controls their own destiny to the NC...and said if they win the next game, then the next, the next, and the next then on to the NC...they control their own destiny! LOL I was like well very true man...I mean if they win them all for the rest of the season...YES they would win it all! Wow this early in the season???!! LOL

Pitt could be a trap game being right before the run of WI, @MSU, ISU and right after an expected laugher at home vs ‘Bama St. @MSU on paper could be our toughest game of the year. UNI will be tough because it’s around finals time more than anything else and our first meeting vs Mr. Green. If by some miracle we got by all those teams unscathed, we could approach the top 10. But don’t expect it to happen.

Pitt could be a trap game being right before the run of WI, @MSU, ISU and right after an expected laugher at home vs ‘Bama St. @MSU on paper could be our toughest game of the year. UNI will be tough because it’s around finals time more than anything else and our first meeting vs Mr. Green. If by some miracle we got by all those teams unscathed, we could approach the top 10. But don’t expect it to happen.
Good assessment, but we would probably be in the top 5 or 6 if we went undefeated through the end of Dec. Winning 2 of the 3 in the MSU, Wisky, ISU stretch would be great. I will now be disappointed if we lose to any of the other teams before the end of the year.

Reactions: CanadaHawk
Good assessment, but we would probably be in the top 5 or 6 if we went undefeated through the end of Dec. Winning 2 of the 3 in the MSU, Wisky, ISU stretch would be great. I will now be disappointed if we lose to any of the other teams before the end of the year.
Do think we’ll need health and scoring standout games from a variety of our guards to sustain any kind of a run. Garza/Cook/Kriener are starting to establish themselves as a tough matchup issue for any team (even Bol Bol). But they need consistent support on the outside. One thing to gain confidence in is that Iowa was able to withstand a tidal wave of guard pressure vs UConn that would have crushed us last year. Yeah, there were 18 TOs but we won and caused 15 TOs for the Huskies. Last year’s Iowa squad would have set a record for TOs vs that UConn team and the score would have been shameful.

Do think we’ll need health and scoring standout games from a variety of our guards to sustain any kind of a run. Garza/Cook/Kriener are starting to establish themselves as a tough matchup issue for any team (even Bol Bol). But they need consistent support on the outside. One thing to gain confidence in is that Iowa was able to withstand a tidal wave of guard pressure vs UConn that would have crushed us last year. Yeah, there were 18 TOs but we won and caused 15 TOs for the Huskies. Last year’s Iowa squad would have set a record for TOs vs that UConn team and the score would have been shameful.
Agree.
It seems very likely that the 2017-18 Hawks would have been unable to withstand the athleticism and pressure from the uconn backcourt and would have wilted. Again, this is an example of the toughness and ability to stay more cool that Connor brings to this year's squad.

I dont think anyone quite knows about Iowa St yet. Obviously two guys still on suspension. Another two guys....including arguably their best offensive player are injured.

ISU is likely a good example of a team that will get better with time assuming they dont lose anyone else as playing with 8 guys (4 true freshman) is pretty tough.

Last edited:
We obviously need guys to stay healthy, but we played as well as we did as a team without any of the guards, except Connor, really playing that well. JoeW also didn't play as well as he will as he gets a little more experience against top college players. Our interior guys were damn impressive.:)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT