ADVERTISEMENT

Is Iowa St the Only Team...

Good assessment, but we would probably be in the top 5 or 6 if we went undefeated through the end of Dec. Winning 2 of the 3 in the MSU, Wisky, ISU stretch would be great. I will now be disappointed if we lose to any of the other teams before the end of the year.
Be ready to be disappointed. I hope not but never having an off night is pretty tough...Oh, and don't bet your house on them winning all their non conference games. It's cold in a tent this time of year....:D

left on Iowa's schedule that could keep this team from going undefeated in the non-conference schedule? Games in Iowa City on Dec. 6th.
Most on this board predicted a 8-3 record at best...
Cyclones will have Lard and Talley back (they're suspended until Dec. 1) but not Young or Wigginton. Absence of the latter is a big deal.

Whether they will challenge Iowa is problematic. Should know more after the next three days. ISU is on Maui, plays Arizona today, either Gonzaga or Illinois tomorrow, then either San Diego State, Xavier, Auburn or Duke on Wednesday. On paper, should go 0-3.

Two Top 15 teams. Yes, it is early but both were ranked.
But as the announcers kept saying as Oregon beat Syracuse: Oregon played a bad game against Iowa. Well, they did and Bol sat a lot for various reasons
left on Iowa's schedule that could keep this team from going undefeated in the non-conference schedule? Games in Iowa City on Dec. 6th.
Most on this board predicted a 8-3 record at best...
Don't know but the ISU BB team kept Randy P from the Texas football game. He must have gone straight to Maui.

Be ready to be disappointed. I hope not but never having an off night is pretty tough...Oh, and don't bet your house on them winning all their non conference games. It's cold in a tent this time of year....:D
I was agreeing with CanadaHawk, who was basically pointing out that there are challenges ahead. We both doubt that the Hawks will be undefeated in non-conference, but we should win all but ISU, which looks like a toss up to me. After last year, I am not going to make lofty predictions. I would be very happy if the Hawks have only 1 or 2 losses at year end. We do need to win at least one of MSU and Wisky, which is going to be tough.

Reactions: chuck285
I was agreeing with CanadaHawk, who was basically pointing out that there are challenges ahead. We both doubt that the Hawks will be undefeated in non-conference, but we should win all but ISU, which looks like a toss up to me. After last year, I am not going to make lofty predictions. I would be very happy if the Hawks have only 1 or 2 losses at year end. We do need to win at least one of MSU and Wisky, which is going to be tough.
@MSU is very likely going to be a tougher game than ISU in Iowa City, especially if Wiggington is out.

@MSU is very likely going to be a tougher game than ISU in Iowa City, especially if Wiggington is out.

No doubt, people aren’t stating that because this discussion involves remaining non-conference opponents.

Winning at MSU is going to be very, very difficult.

the isu game isn't a gimme for the 'clones. But if they get some of their players back that are currently out, they should be the favorites.

I am not ready to make any predictions either let alone a lofty one but it will be self-inflicted if the effort and attitude do not stay what it was in NYC. I am watching a lot of BB right now and there is a look to this team, physically they look stronger, they are big across all 5 positions minus JBo and very mature looking compared to other teams....Oregon and UConn being two of them....let's not kid ourselves...those 2 teams are very talented but did not match up.

We have guys who can knock down the 3 shot and it's deep who on the roster can do this most impressive might be our 6'11' center.

I could be totally wrong but starting and leading with Tyler, there are not too many talents out there physically like him. Of course, Duke and other teams have a lot of very good talent, heck Fordham has that lights-out shooting guard but like Fran Franschilla was commenting the other night that Syracuse has a player who is physically like Tyler but he needs to watch video to play like Tyler is playing right now. Fran F was saying Tyler is a linebacker playing BB....attack, attack, attacking the rim....tough to stop w/o fouling.

Garza is unique too with his skills at 6'11".....and the emergence of Connor at the PG position is huge....hope his NYC play continues. JBo will shoot better than what he has so far. He missed some 3 shot gimmes against UConn.

We'll see what happens starting tomorrow night but the look, attitude, and play of this team are very impressive to me compared to the many other teams I am watching to date. Gotta play hard...

Last edited:
Not really even looking ahead that far to Iowa State yet. We have the ACC/B10 challenege and then 2 very important conference games against other ranked teams before we even get there. If you offered me a win over Wisconsin OR Iowa State at home I'd take Wisconsin in a second.

ISU gets a long break and some easy wins after Maui (deservedly so)

the isu game isn't a gimme for the 'clones. But if they get some of their players back that are currently out, they should be the favorites.

Yes they will give Iowa all it wants with their current roster and will be even more difficult if more of them return. Appears to be a good matchup, but things change quickly early in the season.

Who has fans that boo from tip to buzzer? Yes, they are the only one.

Can't even have the volume on for one of their games anymore it's so bad. Absolutely unlike any other team in the country. Embarrassing.

Yes they will give Iowa all it wants with their current roster and will be even more difficult if more of them return. Appears to be a good matchup, but things change quickly early in the season.
That game doesn't always go according to form. Iowa won two games in the past 20 years at Iowa City (2000 and 2016) when they were nowhere near as good. I can't think of any similar upsets that went the other way, but it's probably happened.

Interesting. Last I heard they were going to hold him out until conference play starts.
The graphic ESPN used during the telecast today said "early December" but I haven't heard that anywhere else. I can't imagine Prohm would bring him back before he's ready and risk hobbling him for the conference games.....especially the way the guards are playing in his absence.

Not really even looking ahead that far to Iowa State yet. We have the ACC/B10 challenege and then 2 very important conference games against other ranked teams before we even get there. If you offered me a win over Wisconsin OR Iowa State at home I'd take Wisconsin in a second.

ISU gets a long break and some easy wins after Maui (deservedly so)
Not a long break, really. Play Nebraska-Omaha next Monday. Don't know if they're any good or not. Then three games, including Iowa, the week after that.

He won’t play almost for certain
Not accurate at all as he is out of his boot and rehabbing. It is possible that he makes it back prior to the Iowa game but will not be pushed because depth will be good.

Not a long break, really. Play Nebraska-Omaha next Monday. Don't know if they're any good or not. Then three games, including Iowa, the week after that.

Iowa State will be Iowa's fourth Power 5 game in 9 days, coming right off a trip to East Lansing. ISU is always a tough game, regardless. It's still pretty difficult to anticipate what the results of those games might be and how it affects momentum, but there's no doubt which will be the fresher team.

That's just to try and fool Iowa. They want a big boost when he takes the floor against Iowa that night...
If it's his first game back that would be even better for Iowa. I think some acclimation is in order.

I was in Des Moines last week and I think his name was Andy Phale (spelling?) on NBC and he went on and on about ISU. His commentary was hilarious...he said ISU controls their own destiny to the NC...and said if they win the next game, then the next, the next, and the next then on to the NC...they control their own destiny! LOL I was like well very true man...I mean if they win them all for the rest of the season...YES they would win it all! Wow this early in the season???!! LOL

Yep, that's what Andy does........he is a very smart and funny guy and this is just one example of his sense of humor.

Reactions: Birky
Pitt could be a problem. Glad we’ve got 3/4 of this P5 run of teams at home.

Not entirely sure what to make of Pitt as of yet, except we know that by this time last year they had already lost to Navy and Montana before getting throttled by Penn State so it's probably fair to say they're a marked improvement from the 0-19 ACC team from last year. It's probably one of those where you feel pretty good about it getting at home but would be really sketchy about it on the road.

Guys, I am telling you Pitt isn't good. They won't be a problem. At home Iowa should win by about 20 with the way they have been playing.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT