ADVERTISEMENT

Is it FOX? Or is it people "hear what they want to hear?"

I don’t watch much Fox. I watch some to keep up with the new language and the right wing talking points. I am curious if Fox was the voice urging everyone that we would be out of gasoline soon. Hence creating a crisis that didn’t need to happen.

No a lot of it was local news in those areas affected by the disruption. At least here in NoFla that was the case. But this morning I’m not seeing jammed lines at gas stations. Just the news that the pipeline is open again has allayed fears.

Remember: the quote is "good people on ALL sides".

Not BOTH sides.

The Nazis recognized that he referred to them as "good people" which is absolutely correct.

All sides. Ergo, Nazis and white supremacists are "good people". What does Scott Adams say about that? Imma guess he completely ignores that ugly fact.
Joes Place, can you acknowledge you have the quote wrong?

Reactions: goldmom
Everyone believes what they want to hear.

How many of you progressives believed that Rebekah Jones was a gallant whistleblower and believed Ron DeSantis was hiding deaths.

Hell, how many of you still do?

There isn't one shred of evidence of that, there never was, she's a full on conspiracy theory grifter criminal, but many of you guys loved you some of that, because it fit what you wanted to believe.

When was the last time you heard anybody say, on here or any other time discussing politics, “Oh I might have got that wrong. You have changed my mind.”?

The number is likely somewhere between zero and nil.

I don’t watch much Fox. I watch some to keep up with the new language and the right wing talking points. I am curious if Fox was the voice urging everyone that we would be out of gasoline soon. Hence creating a crisis that didn’t need to happen.
More facebook and the game of telephone

How many of you progressives believed that Rebekah Jones was a gallant whistleblower and believed Ron DeSantis was hiding deaths.

There isn't one shred of evidence of that, there never was, she's a full on conspiracy theory grifter criminal, but many of you guys loved you some of that, because it fit what you wanted to believe.
And because they thought she was "hawt". She's an unbalanced person who sought notoriety. She's now living in the D.C. Area...wonder why she moved, who might have hired her and who paid for her move?

Reactions: Nole Lou
When there's a Nazi/White Supremacist demonstration, and one of the Nazi's runs a bunch of people over, and your response is "there are very fine people on both sides", that's not a big stretch, bro.

In fact, it was literally a dog whistle for the Nazis and white supremacists, indicating support for them, rather than clearly calling out their position as un-American.

To Be fair.... during the riots last year CNN had live broadcasts saying that the protests were peaceful.... while in the background there were buildings burning.

To be fair, the incoherent mush mouth dialogue lends itself to interpretation. Your’s being colored by pro-Trump bias and Joe’s being colored by anti-Trump.
Did Trump say what Joe’s Place said he did (actual words) or did Joe’s Place change it to what he ‘heard’?

Reactions: SIXERS24
As time goes on I think you'll find more and more people rely on lefties for the truth.
Most who actually care about the truth already do.

Unfortunately, FOX, Team Trump, and others on the right have labeled the truth "fake news" and have made "alternative facts" even more acceptable than actual facts in the minds of way too many Americans.

I hadn't heard of that one until you made a thread about it. Part of the issue, might be to what level are each side' s respective theories promoted and where?

Are the theories promoted by prominent leaders and popular outlets? Are they still promoted after being shown to be silly, nonsensical or completely unsupported?

That's one aspect that Trump set a new low on. Politicians always had a reputation for twisting facts, or even occasional outright lies, but they generally didn't keep repeating them after it was discredited.

Trump on the other hand would surge on undeterred by facts or reality, the lies just repeated and doubled down on.

Another issue with how quickly nonsense theories can spread is that conservatives are quick to reject the MSM as fake news. They have been conditioned that way, so news will have to be obtained elsewhere.

Unfortunately that means outlets like Fox News, Infowars, Newsmax and the like.

While the rest of us can consume the same general reality from any number of MSM sources where nonsense less often runs rampant.

So yeah, liberals fall for stuff, but they aren't sending Qanon to Congress or raiding pizzeria's to stop Hillary Clinton's child trafficking ring.

All media does it, but tucker in particular is a master at finding one particular sound bite and twisting it well beyond the meaning of the entire statement.
Really the only newsman on FOX is Chris Wallace, I like his 1:00 Sunday show. Trump isn’t a big fan of him so that tells you Wallace doesn’t spread lies.

Last edited:
Reactions: sober_teacher
Did Trump say what Joe’s Place said he did (actual words) or did Joe’s Place change it to what he ‘heard’?
Trump did not say all sides. He said both sides. Seems to be a benign distinction.

Again, saying Neo-naziism and the anti-Semitic chants were wrong, disgusting and have no place in our civil society, but people that don’t want to tear down civil statues are not neo-nazis and have a argument that should be debated is different than saying there are good people on both sides.

Reactions: RileyHawk
I hadn't heard of that one until you made a thread about it. Part of the issue, might be to what level are each side' s respective theories promoted and where?

Are the theories promoted by prominent leaders and popular outlets? Are they still promoted after being shown to be silly, nonsensical or completely unsupported?

That's one aspect that Trump set a new low on. Politicians always had a reputation for twisting facts, or even occasional outright lies, but they generally didn't keep repeating them after it was discredited.

Trump on the other hand would surge on undeterred by facts or reality, the lies just repeated and doubled down on.

Another issue with how quickly nonsense theories can spread is that conservatives are quick to reject the MSM as fake news. They have been conditioned that way, so news will have to be obtained elsewhere.

While the rest of us can consume the same general reality from any number of MSM sources where nonsense less often runs rampant.

So yeah, liberals fall for stuff, but they aren't sending Qanon to Congress or raiding pizzeria's to stop Hillary Clinton's child trafficking ring.

You hadn't heard the accusations that Ron DeSantis and Florida are hiding death counts and fired Jones as a whistleblower? Really?

How about...

NPR

CNN https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/us/florida-coronavirus-data-dashboard/index.html

MSNBC

ABC https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/concerns-erupt-integrity-floridas-covid-19-website-70774527

I mean...pick a mainstream outlet, and they interviewed her or reported on her charges. I mean...just pick one and you can find it. And not one mainstream media outlet debunking her, which would be easy.

You know, like the anti-vaxxers and the election truthers, they're "just asking questions."

But there is no way you can't claim that she and her charges have been treated very credibly. There's a reason at least half the liberals on that thread think there is something to the charges that DeSantis is hiding deaths, even though it's been thoroughly debunked and she's a complete liar and hoaxer. And that's because the media has presented her uncritically, and the accusation fits what they want to believe.

Remember when people on the left insisted Trump said Nazis were 'very fine people'?

People hear what they want.
You can show them the entire quote and it doesn't matter to some.
Seen it over and over here.

Scott Adams had an interesting write up on the phenomena.
You say... I only hear what I want to?
lisa-loeb-nine-stories-stay-i-missed-you-official-music-video.jpg

Reactions: globalhawk
You know, if you thought about it - I know that can be a stretch - I bet that some of those “other people” Left home that morning without the slightest knowledge that there would be some loons in “Nazi” garb who would show up and fall in with them.
And, yet, when they saw them, they continued to march WITH them, rather than decide to "turn around and head back home".

That actually happened, because otherwise, there would have been "no good people" on that side.
#FACTS

The plural of pizzeria is pizzerias, not pizzeria's.

Reactions: ThorneStockton
You should read the Scott Adams essay I linked.
You're doing exactly what he predicted you would in response.

It's literally because he has no defense, bud.

When the Nazis recognized that as a calling-card supporting them, you truly have no leg to stand on. Claiming he wasn't supporting Nazis, when the Nazis recognize it isn't a winning position.

Joes Place, can you acknowledge you have the quote wrong?

Yes. I got it wrong. The quote is still inappropriate.

Because the "good people" on the Nazi side should have gone home when they saw the Nazis.

And, the Nazis, themselves, have even asserted that quote signaled "support" for them.

DeSantis is a horrible, slimy excuse for a human being.

Who cares if some particular accusation is off base - assuming it even was off base. That's like excusing a murderer because he was innocent of 1 out of 20 killings.

To Be fair.... during the riots last year CNN had live broadcasts saying that the protests were peaceful.... while in the background there were buildings burning.
Sounds like something said by someone who gets his info on CNN from FOX, Breitbart or Alex Jones.

Speaking of Alex Jones, where is OiT these days?

Trump did not say all sides. He said both sides. Seems to be a benign distinction.
Indeed.

The icing on the cake is that he NEVER denounced the Nazis, directly. He would not, because they are his supporters.

Which is explicitly WHY they viewed his comment as signaling support for them. Something Scott Adams will not acknowledge, and is gaslighting people pretending that's not an issue.

It's a HUGE issue for the leader of America and the Free World.

Reactions: RileyHawk
You hadn't heard the accusations that Ron DeSantis and Florida are hiding death counts and fired Jones as a whistleblower? Really?

How about...

NPR

CNN https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/us/florida-coronavirus-data-dashboard/index.html

MSNBC

ABC https://abcnews.go.com/Health/wireStory/concerns-erupt-integrity-floridas-covid-19-website-70774527

I mean...pick a mainstream outlet, and they interviewed her or reported on her charges. I mean...just pick one and you can find it. And not one mainstream media outlet debunking her, which would be easy.

You know, like the anti-vaxxers and the election truthers, they're "just asking questions."

But there is no way you can't claim that she and her charges have been treated very credibly. There's a reason at least half the liberals on that thread think there is something to the charges that DeSantis is hiding deaths, even though it's been thoroughly debunked and she's a complete liar and hoaxer. And that's because the media has presented her uncritically, and the accusation fits what they want to believe.

Christ. I'm sorry I'm here in the Midwest and missed your Florida woman story. Can't believe I missed that 8 minute NPR segment either. I guess that proves it though, way to avoid the rest of the post.

This does fit perfectly with your "everyone hears what they want to hear" line. I suspect it's comforting to know that the MSM is out to get you, they lie, you're being victimized, they went against your team. You've proven it.

Reactions: Dr. Spaceman
Indeed.

The icing on the cake is that he NEVER denounced the Nazis, directly. He would not, because they are his supporters.

Which is explicitly WHY they viewed his comment as signaling support for them. Something Scott Adams will not acknowledge, and is gaslighting people pretending that's not an issue.

It's a HUGE issue for the leader of America and the Free World.
Honestly all he would do is throw a word salad bar out there and you take what you want from it. He’s a salesman that’s what they do

Reactions: Joes Place
Honestly all he would do is throw a word salad bar out there and you take what you want from it. He’s a salesman that’s what they do
Can Scott Adams, or anyone else, produce a direct quote where he directly denounced and distanced himself from Nazis?

Anything along the lines of "These are not people who represent my views, or what America stands for"

Anything, at all?

In this case, Facebook is more likely than Fox.
This. My right wing neighbor is probably too right wing for fox news. Facebook is a different story.

My wife told her I was getting my 2nd COVID vaccine shot today. She implored her to tell me to be sure and check my life insurance policy before I got the shot because some life insurance policies aren't paying if you DIE from the COVID vaccine...

Read that again. That's not an auto-correct mistake.

All I could say to my wife is something I've said before... She should be banned from the internet.

Reactions: Funky Bunch
Funny that Scott Adams doesn't see it the way the neo Nazis saw it. They literally rallied behind the quote, which pretty much debunks anything Scott Adams wants to claim here.
You know how Scott Adams was able to predict the responses? They are the obvious chain of logic that links them all together. He then throws in the word hoax and now has them all on the hook that it isn't the people walking side by side with the Nazi that are the problem but the ones calling them out on it.

For Joe’s Place it changes the meaning, and he is, as OP observed in the other situation, clinging to a fake memory to justify it.

Again, saying Neo-naziism and the anti-Semitic chants were wrong, disgusting and have no place in our civil society, but people that don’t want to tear down civil statues are not neo-nazis and have a argument that should be debated is different than saying there are good people on both sides.
‘Both sides’ referred to the protest for and against removing the statue and renaming the park.
He gave a clear denunciation of the neo-Nazis and white nationalists. It was just not included in the original reporting, and even when confronted with it people cling to their initial, preferred, reality.
As evidenced in this thread.

So to OPs question, it’s more about the human condition than Foxnews.

You know, if you thought about it - I know that can be a stretch - I bet that some of those “other people” Left home that morning without the slightest knowledge that there would be some loons in “Nazi” garb who would show up and fall in with them. Are they responsible for that tiny group who were so thrilled they got to wear their mail order “nazi” stuff and leave their basement? No. I hope you’re smart enough to realize that on some level but I have my doubts.
Unite the Right was billed as a white nationalist rally. What would you expect at a that type of rally. It was reported Gavin McInness declined to go because it was too racist for him.

For Joe’s Place it changes the meaning
No. It does not.

And, one more try: Can you or Scott Adams explicitly quote where Trump denounced Nazis and white supremacists? In clear, unequivocal, language.

Because the Nazis have rallied around his statements as though he supports them. And Scott Adams doesn't seem to want to touch that fact with a 100-ft pole.

Sounds like you are taking about the November election.
Repubs are even eating their own over this topic.
Do you love yourself some of that - or has QAnon not given out their daily briefing.
So much about lying in this thread.

Unite the Right was billed as a white nationalist rally. What would you expect at a that type of rally. It was reported Gavin McInness declined to go because it was too racist for him.

This is correct. It was well known ahead of time that this white nationalist rally was going to take place. In fact, the UVA President sent out an email to all staff and students a week ahead of the rally advising them to steer clear for their safety. Hard to believe there were many "good" or "fine" people showing up to support a statue.

Reactions: McIlraveysMullet
Christ. I'm sorry I'm here in the Midwest and missed your Florida woman story. Can't believe I missed that 8 minute NPR segment either. I guess that proves it though, way to avoid the rest of the post.

This does fit perfectly with your "everyone hears what they want to hear" line. I suspect it's comforting to know that the MSM is out to get you, they lie, you're being victimized, they went against your team. You've proven it.

I posted those to your point that liberal media or mainstream media doesn't give a platform to wackos and conspiracy theorists on the other side.

That's clearly not true. Rebekah Jones has been amplified everywhere on mainstream/liberal media. Ditto a discredited grifter/liars/crooks like Michael Avenatti. Virtually every conspiracy theory about Trump was given significant air time, and now the same for Desantis.

As for me addressing the rest of your post...I am not and never have been a defender of Newsmax, MAGA, capitol invaders, Tucker Carlson or any of that. You'll have to look elsewhere for a conservative that defends that wing.

What I do disagree with is this idea that conservatives are somehow mentally more open to conspiratorial thinking or confirmation bias than progressives. It's a human condition, its called confirmation bias.

On that thread I started, more liberals give credence to Rebecca Jones than conservative give credit to the election being stolen. Confirmation bias is a human thing, and you can't overcome it without actively trying to.

I DO however believe that currently Republicans have a bigger problem with conspiratorial thinking than progressives, because agents on the GOP side are purposely and aggressively operating to encourage and harness it among the percentage of wack jobs on their side. It's repulsive. And it's not even in the service of electoral victories, its in the service of one guy and his close cadre. And also grifting. Of course there's always grifting behind it.

There isn't a commensurate effort on the left right now...yet. But if you bounce back a couple years, when progressives believed anything and everything anyone came up with on Trump/Russia, and still believe despite the Mueller report...I would have said it was pretty damn even.

I just think the "we believe in facts, they believe in conspiracies" line being taken now is utter bullshit, and has been proven again and again that liberals and conservatives have confirmation bias.

Why do liberals think COVID is way, way worse than it is? Studies have shown that liberals overestimate the seriousness of COVID by more than conservative underestimate it? Why is that, with the facts so readily available?

I just want people to call bullshit on bullshit, whether its on their their side or not. It would go a hell of a long way toward reducing the current dysfunction. This idea that "progressives don't bullshit, and when they do progressives don't believe them" is just not true, nor productive.

Sounds like you are taking about the November election.
Repubs are even eating their own over this topic.
Do you love yourself some of that - or has QAnon not given out their daily briefing.
So much about lying in this thread.

I have called bullshit on "stop the steal" a million times, at every opportunity.

Are you willing to do the same on your side?

Oh, wait, I know your answer..."My side doesn't bullshit. We're about facts."

So carry on.

Reactions: goldmom
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT