ADVERTISEMENT

Is it just me or does Sullivan look more comfortable in the pocket?

I know I know he’s only been in on special packages but he just seems more confident and comfortable while under center… I wish they would split the time up at least to see what he actually can do instead of being put in for a series or two plays … he just is quicker and reads things faster than Mac seems to do.
You are reaching for straws here. Sullivan hasnt had much real time trying to drive the team down the field. Look at his northwestern videos to see what he looks like. I remember him from last year's game looking competent running their offense. He had to face a top defense and he did ok

Not sure how one can come to that conclusion based off the limited sample size.

Hand off for a TD, roll out flip to a te for a TD, and then he slipped and fell on the last play.

I'm not sold on 12 but it's not as if he couldn't have done any of those things.

We are racing to get timing and routes correct, splitting time is not a good idea. I mean I hope they are working him in practice on timing as well, but you have to go with the qb who is closer at this point, We are getting into the schedule now. I suspect one of these times he is going to bootleg or otherwise throw it into the end zone, because.............. nobody has seen him do it yet and so do not fear it. I think we have some tricks up our sleeve that will get used this season. Rumor has it our punter can throw pretty well as well. Everything in good time my friends everything in good time.

I realize it was a LONG, LONG time ago, but this is a true story anyway:

Hayden Fry was hired in December 1978. There was no portal. No college free agency. He had to build a team, a program, out of the players the previous coach had left behind. So Hayden installed a kid who had been a 5th-string DB as the starting QB, Phil Seuss from Des Moines. Hayden installed a totally new offense, the power I, to replace the Wing-T Iowa had been running. And in the first game of his first season in 1979 Iowa faced a good Indiana team led by Lee Corso--not Illinois State, not UNI, not Arkansas State, not North Texas. And Seuss, that former 5th-team DB turned QB, went 17-30 for 227 yards.

Iowa's receivers got open. And when they did, the first-year QB got them the ball. FWIW.

Given the packages he's being used on Sullivan has a lot less to manage while under center,.. he should look comfortable.

Reactions: kceasthawk
I know I know he’s only been in on special packages but he just seems more confident and comfortable while under center… I wish they would split the time up at least to see what he actually can do instead of being put in for a series or two plays … he just is quicker and reads things faster than Mac seems to do.
When the QB knows he can use his legs to either buy time or get away from pressure, they seem much more comfortable.

I see where McNamara's QBR is second from the bottom in the B1G. My hope is that if they see the offense going south in the OSU game they don't wait until Iowa is down by 40 to replace him. I know that is pessimistic, but after rewatching the ISU and Minnesota games the guy just doesn't have it.

Last edited:
I realize it was a LONG, LONG time ago, but this is a true story anyway:

Hayden Fry was hired in December 1978. There was no portal. No college free agency. He had to build a team, a program, out of the players the previous coach had left behind. So Hayden installed a kid who had been a 5th-string DB as the starting QB, Phil Seuss from Des Moines. Hayden installed a totally new offense, the power I, to replace the Wing-T Iowa had been running. And in the first game of his first season in 1979 Iowa faced a good Indiana team led by Lee Corso--not Illinois State, not UNI, not Arkansas State, not North Texas. And Seuss, that former 5th-team DB turned QB, went 17-30 for 227 yards.

Iowa's receivers got open. And when they did, the first-year QB got them the ball. FWIW.
And his son was a QB. If installed today, he would go 5-19 for 37 yards.

Sullivan started 10 games for Northwestern, 5 each in '23 and '22. Was a 70% passer, with a good TD/INT ratio. Definitely enough there to be confident about giving him more than goal line duties.

Come on. He’s got another 1.5 years before he even gets the basics down of the Iowa offense. Right now, he’s just a got few red zone plays memorized so that’s why we’re only seeing him in limited action.

He's had one pass attempt in his 3 games. It went for 2 yards and a TD.

He has 3 rushes for MINUS 2 yards. I guess that means he sucks in the pocket? Of course not.

Bottom line is this: we don't have a large sample size size to draw any conclusions.

He's had one pass attempt in his 3 games. It went for 2 yards and a TD.

He has 3 rushes for MINUS 2 yards. I guess that means he sucks in the pocket? Of course not.

Bottom line is this: we don't have a large sample size size to draw any conclusions.
Exactly- I guess I love his quickness under center even if it’s for a yard or 2 but he needs reps as he is the future of Iowa QB… we need a guy that can evade the rush and give us a chance … I think Mac is doing well but of course he could do better like anyone in any position

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT