ADVERTISEMENT

Is it me or is Dolph more critical of things when he is doing basketball

JRHawk2003

HR King
Jul 9, 2003
Him and Bobby were really telling Hurley to cool it down. Saying what a bad look it is when you are losing by 20 lol. He also used to really get on Hightower. Don't notice it as much in football it seems to me.

Yeah,.. I think Dolph has taken to tipping a few before games....

Perhaps cuz he can actually be heard in bball behind the bench? Maybe gets more emotionally involved....who knows

Easier game for him to do. Only 10 guys playing and easier to identify who they are than in fball. Yes, things are moving faster/more constant, but that doesn't mean he's keeping up. During dead-ball situations--when Douchebag Hurley was going off--he has a chance to espouse more of what he's thinking than having to explain who was open down field and why Nate dumped off to the safety valve (sorry, had to) between plays.
Of course this is all completely dependent on how many commercials he has to work in during the broadcast.

Reactions: HawkweyeinSATX
Easier game for him to do. Only 10 guys playing and easier to identify who they are than in fball. Yes, things are moving faster/more constant, but that doesn't mean he's keeping up. During dead-ball situations--when Douchebag Hurley was going off--he has a chance to espouse more of what he's thinking than having to explain who was open down field and why Nate dumped off to the safety valve (sorry, had to) between plays.
Of course this is all completely dependent on how many commercials he has to work in during the broadcast.

Good point. There are probably less commercials to work in for hoops. Man does he do a lot in football.

Dolph has his issues, but I do appreciate that he is less a homer than some of the play by play guys aout there.
Particularly in contrast to the complete tool that does the ketchup and mustard crowd's games.

I can't stand when radio announcers are complaining about officiating, especially in basketball. Just tell me where the ball is going. I'm listening because I can't see, and I don't know whether it was a bad call or not because it's not going to change anything. There's enough stoppages in a basketball game to provide editorial commentary. I just need a Doc Emrick style account of what's going on, and too often I feel like Dolph misses possessions entirely. Walters complains even more but at least misses less of the action doing so.

Reactions: TRHawkeye145
What gripes me is Dolph uses golf and baseball and hocky terms to describe basketball plays. It is confusing.

Dolph has his issues, but I do appreciate that he is less a homer than some of the play by play guys aout there.
Particularly in contrast to the complete tool that does the ketchup and mustard crowd's games.

I can say this is true. John Walters gets very critical of the officials in basketball games I've listened to. I usually only want to hear the score if I'm driving somewhere, but then I usually listen longer. He is the epitome of a homer. I'd much rather enjoy listening to Dolph and Bobby.

Reactions: RocknRollface
Loved his fresh off the rack hat on the Ferentz show last night. Tags still on and everything. Lol.

What gripes me is Dolph uses golf and baseball and hocky terms to describe basketball plays. It is confusing.

Yes he does.

"Hooks a pass, lobs a shot, scoops a layup"?

I don't know why he thinks he needs to add descriptions like that. It only serves to be confusing.

Just say WHERE the ball is moving , not how, and if it gets shot just say if it goes in or not.

Reactions: hooper56
How can you listen to him do play by play? I'm amazed he's kept his job for so long as he's awful at calling a game. You rarely have a clue as to what is happening.

I listen to the radio broadcasts for all of Iowa's games, even those that are televised. It's an old habit that I developed before the massive explosion of sports on tv. If I want to hear the television commentators, who, in my estimation, are usually not up to the Iowa radio broadcast team, I can always watch the games from my DVR.

I listen to the radio broadcasts for all of Iowa's games, even those that are televised. It's an old habit that I developed before the massive explosion of sports on tv. If I want to hear the television commentators, who, in my estimation, are usually not up to the Iowa radio broadcast team, I can always watch the games from my DVR.

I would do that if it weren't ahead of the televised broadcast. I think Bobby is fantastic and we are lucky to have kept him away from bigger offers.

Dolph is more relaxed sitting court side for basketball.
He is able to have better chemistry with Bobby Hansen.
Dolph can see the court action and get more involved.

Dolph is high above the stadium in press box for football.
Ed Podolak knows so much more about football and he
becomes the focal point of the broadcast. Dolph has a
difficult time focusing on the football plays due to his
vision from afar.

I can't stand when radio announcers are complaining about officiating, especially in basketball. Just tell me where the ball is going. I'm listening because I can't see, and I don't know whether it was a bad call or not because it's not going to change anything. There's enough stoppages in a basketball game to provide editorial commentary. I just need a Doc Emrick style account of what's going on, and too often I feel like Dolph misses possessions entirely. Walters complains even more but at least misses less of the action doing so.

How freaking great would it be to have Doc do just one Hawkeye football and basketball game?! Nobody better to listen to IMO.
The best story I've heard about Doc was on Dan Patrick one morning where he talked about a time he went to a good friend of his son's youth hockey game. I think it was the kid's birthday and Doc did the play-by-play over the PA system.

I would do that if it weren't ahead of the televised broadcast. I think Bobby is fantastic and we are lucky to have kept him away from bigger offers.

I use an app on my phone TuneIn Radio and connect via bluetooth to my soundbar. With the app I can pause and rewind the audio along with the DVR. It needs to be adjusted during the game sometimes, but it is easy to do.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT