ADVERTISEMENT

Is it more the wide receivers than Petras?

fml-sylvester.gif

Last year we had our best WR corps in years and they were having about the same production they’re having this year. I am not a Petras hater but it seems like he is just much more comfortable throwing to TEs and RBs.
Last year was an anomoly. Petras is light years ahead of where he was at this time in 2020 and it shows. The oline and receivers? Not so much, but it's getting better. Blocking has to improve (Oline and receivers) or the winning streak will end.

To offer up another angle to the Petras stinks discussion, could it be that the wide receivers just aren't very good and not giving much to throw to?
How about we don't throw anybody under the bus ... acknowledge that we played against some good defenses in the first 2 games ... and allow the fact that ALL of the guys on O will ultimately improve and "come together."

Reactions: HFan1981 and F5n5
I’ve re-watched a few of the broken plays where he has to move out of the pocket and on many, it doesn’t look like the receivers are doing much to come back to him/show him an open target/provide good angles. O-line, receivers and QB are all factors here.

To offer up another angle to the Petras stinks discussion, could it be that the wide receivers just aren't very good and not giving much to throw to?
No way- if you go back to Tracey’s (sp?) freshman year I BELIEVE… he was running some AWESOME routes and didn’t get score on a long 80 yard Touchdown against Wisconsin? He’s had some nice games and Nico R is one of the best possession receivers Iowa’s had in a little while - the others need time to grow and mature like K Johnson and Armand Bruce - what I was hoping for is to see that 6’3 or 6’4 kid out of Michigan who needs to touch the ball.. can’t say enough about our TE play I am very pleased with LaPorta and Lachey - we have some damn good depth at TE and WR… it’s just the matter of the line blocking a tad bit better and our receivers running crisper routes… BUT Petras needs to quit that indecisive happy crappy feet as it looks like his heads spinning around ready to rocket off his neck with confusion at times… he’s got all the damn tools in the world to be a great QB … but most of his battle me thinks is mental … once he gets that down he will be a better QB…

The offensive line is loaded with talented individuals. They are learning how to block as a unit/team. It doesn't happen just because you are talented, it takes live action. This group will continue to improve and should look like a completely different animal in 3-4 weeks.

While Petras has his issues that have been hashed out in many other threads, I think there are questions about the wr group. One thing that really stands out to me is that the guys getting PT are all built like typical slot receivers. I haven't looked at all of their program heights(which are historically inflated anyway), but they appear to mostly be under 6'. Unless they were a bunch of Tyreek Hills(which they definitely are not) I think that's an issue to not have any tall/large bodied guys on the perimeter for fades or who can outjump, outsize, outfight a CB for the ball. The walk-on Ritter is the only one with some size.

**WARNING**
"OP's Mom" joke alert!!
LOL! So true!

However, all the finger pointing by fans is just a little ridiculous.

With barely even digging deep into footage ... I noticed Charlie Jones biffing on no fewer than 2 blocks. One block could have sprung Ragaini ... and another block was on the right side ... where otherwise there was a great wall of blockers for Goodson. The latter block, had it been made, would have prevented early penetration ... and Goodson would have made a good early down gain.

If I spotted 2 missed blocks by Jones from casual watching ... you better believe that Tracy and Ragaini likely missed on some blocks too. And, in some of those cases ... they may simply have been out of frame of the cameras.

Especially, in the first 2 games, the Hawks were playing against good defenses ... but undoubtedly, the OL was having some issues. That was both understanding and forgivable too ... lots of moving parts and lots of new starters.

Obviously, there is also the issue of blocking by LaPorta ... route-running by most of our targets. Goodson still has ground to make up in pass-pro. Petras obviously has improvements to make. He needs to continue to work on going through his progressions ... calming himself down when he sees something ... so that he'll make a good throw/decision. On top of all that, Brian has improvements to make too ... adapting to what the defense is doing ... making better 2nd half adjustments.

The recognition isn't just that everybody HAS to improve ... but it's also important to recognize that everybody is CAPABLE of making that improvement. Fans have a tendency of expecting instant results ... all while forgetting that they're getting upset about young guys who are still learning the game.

Guys focus on the "little picture" ... we'll see positive incremental improvement through each and every game ... and the Hawks likely will have a darn fine season.

Lastly, many fans are putting the cart before the horse in thinking that this might be a CFP team. It's certainly a hope ... but it should hardly be an expectation. The squad has a lot of improvement to make for that to happen ... and they likely DON'T have enough time to make those improvements (by the time they're needed).

It would be nice if there was a simple answer. Some plays it's the OL, some it's the receivers, and some it's the QB. Some plays it's more than one of those.

I think on some plays he gets about 2.5 seconds to get rid of ball. Is that long enough? You sure as heck aren't looking at your second or third option with that limited amount of time.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT