ADVERTISEMENT

Is Josh Dix This Year's Austin Ash?

IowasLaw

All-Conference
Nov 19, 2019
It was great to see the Hawks back on the court last night and even greater to see some new faces on the roster see their first minutes on the court. Although the Hawks failed miserably recruiting the portal, they did bring in 2 freshmen who already appear poised to receive playing time.

So what's the deal with Josh Dix? It looks like Iowa beat out a few Big 10 teams for his services before his gruesome leg injury. That injury occurred months AFTER Keagan Johnson's "undisclosed injuries," yet miraculously Dix is already fully healed and ready to sprint up and down the court while Johnson has vanished from the face of the earth.

Unfortunately, I did not like what I saw from the guy in his first outing. Despite playing just 13 minutes, he managed to chuck up 8 shots in his first outing. He went 0-5 from 3 and just 2-8 overall. Accuracy aside, it was more the selfish way he played that got under my skin. It was reminiscent of my least favorite Hawk of all time, Austin Ash, who immediately shot the ball every single time he touched it, whether double teamed at half court or if a teammate was wide open beneath the basket.

Hopefully the 0-5 shooting and ball hog tendencies were just first game jitters and there are many, many better days to come for Dix. But I've never seen a true freshmen so full of himself that he'd step into his first ever game and immediately start wildly shooting up bricks. Teammates will definitely notice.

Yes, Ash's chucking could rub some people the wrong way.

This was different though. Dix was wide open on almost all of those. They were shots he is supposed to take. Fran even said in the post game interview that he wants Josh to keep firing. He looked good in the exhibition game an hit a couple smooth 3's. Just wasn't hitting last night. Probably some first game jitters. And a couple of those were almost too wide open which can cause the shooter to overthink a little. I do think Josh's shot is a little flat at this point. Hopefully he can add a little arc as he perfects his craft. He'll be a good player though

You must be fun to be around.
Fran failed using the portal but 2 nice freshmen with good playing abilities?
Go ahead and berate a true freshman (Dix) getting used to a new system.
But it was great to see the hawks back on the court!!!!

It was great to see the Hawks back on the court last night and even greater to see some new faces on the roster see their first minutes on the court. Although the Hawks failed miserably recruiting the portal, they did bring in 2 freshmen who already appear poised to receive playing time.

So what's the deal with Josh Dix? It looks like Iowa beat out a few Big 10 teams for his services before his gruesome leg injury. That injury occurred months AFTER Keagan Johnson's "undisclosed injuries," yet miraculously Dix is already fully healed and ready to sprint up and down the court while Johnson has vanished from the face of the earth.

Unfortunately, I did not like what I saw from the guy in his first outing. Despite playing just 13 minutes, he managed to chuck up 8 shots in his first outing. He went 0-5 from 3 and just 2-8 overall. Accuracy aside, it was more the selfish way he played that got under my skin. It was reminiscent of my least favorite Hawk of all time, Austin Ash, who immediately shot the ball every single time he touched it, whether double teamed at half court or if a teammate was wide open beneath the basket.

Hopefully the 0-5 shooting and ball hog tendencies were just first game jitters and there are many, many better days to come for Dix. But I've never seen a true freshmen so full of himself that he'd step into his first ever game and immediately start wildly shooting up bricks. Teammates will definitely notice.

Dix has excellent shooting form, I am not concerned at all about his first go-around. I really like that he has confidence. Seems pretty similar to where Sandfort started out last year.

Reactions: Ismellarat

You really thought this theory deserved 4 paragraphs?

Do you not have anything worthwhile to do?

Seriously? Is this just a troll attempt?

You write pretty well and therefore would appear to have some intelligence.....but how could you reach those conclusions. Was it just based on surface level statistics?

Are you actually an ISU fan just working the disinformation, sow division, try to start stupid sh....stuff?

Last edited:
He certainly gives us a different perspective. Some analyses are awfully pie in the sky. He goes in the other direction.

Reactions: Hendy hawk
OGC.1e7202dec050d241e25b963c1107d86f
The intentional attention-grabbing comparison to Austin Ash in the title gives it away.

Apparently didn't pay attention to the exhibition game either?

You write pretty well and therefore would appear to have some intelligence.....but how could you reach those conclusions. Was it just based on surface level statistics?

Are you actually an ISU fan just working the disinformation, sew division, try to start stupid sh....stuff?
WOB or autocorrect? (sew division)

Reactions: perryhawk
Dix will be a solid player for Iowa. I do wish Fran would would take a more Wisconsin type approach with his younger players. Instead of telling a kid who clearly needs to develop his shot to the college game speed to keep shooting I wish instead he wouod say if you want to play learn to play defense and do the small things first. Leave the scoring to the guys that have developed.

Its like Fran is all offense and nothing else. Wisconsin has turned a lot of avg to below avg athletes into stingy defenders that know how to impact the game doing the small things. Guys like Dix under Fran seem to spend all their energy on shooting and never develop defensively. If they're natural shooters shooting will come around a lot easier. The other college game skills don't come naturally unless you work your butt off at them.

JFC

Of course too early to writeoff Josh Dix, but the wing position does look crowded going forward, so hard
to see him making impact in next 2 years.

In terms of pure 3pt shooting, the two Sandfort brother's look like they are better wing prospects. Josh would have to prove he has better guard skills/defense to give him and edge over Peyton this year and both Peyton and Pryce next year.

if I had to bet on prospects of Josh Dix vs Pryce Sandfort, I'd go with Pryce as the better prospect because Pryce
has the look of a pure shooter.

Pryce Sandfort 43% from 3pt line, 90% fT shooter as High school jr
Dix 38% 3pt from 3pt line, 73% from FT line as High School jr.

Shooting 73% from FT line is red flag for a pure shooter. Shows a lack of concentration/consistency.

Jury is out on Dix....maybe he becomes a Gatens type player...or maybe he develops like Josh Ogelsby.

Reactions: IowasLaw

I didn't even watch the game and can tell this post is stupid.

I didn't see Dix take any bad shots, so I don't understand your comparison to Ash who would routinely shoot from anywhere on the court, most of which were of the horrible shot selection variety. Dix is a good shooter but probably was just a little too amped up last night. Most nights those open looks are going to fall.

Austin Ash is your least favorite Hawkeye? That's some real emotion for a guy who seemingly worked hard, was a good teammate, and liked to chuck up a few shots in garbage time. I can think of a few others over the years who should make that list, but I'm sure they won't fit with your general agenda.

I liked what I saw. He was open so he shot the ball. They just weren't falling but I love the fact that he had no hesitation. They will definitely start to fall for him.

OP should stick to his diatribes on the football program because he seems to have very little knowledge of McCaffery's basketball team. I thought every one of the shots Dix took was justified and I suspect Fran did as well. I'd bet some night soon, Josh will nail a fistful of threes. We need to remember that we are talking about a young man, coming off a horrific injury, playing his first true game at home in front of his fans and cut him a little slack if he was a bit tight. Just like anyone else on their first day of a new job, he will adapt and become more comfortable and eventually succeed.

I wish Dix had red-shirted a la CJ Fredrick. Like CJ he needs a year of weight training to get his body ready, imo. It was huge for CJ who was transformed into a great frosh player by redshirting.

I wish Dix had red-shirted a la CJ Fredrick. Like CJ he needs a year of weight training to get his body ready, imo. It was huge for CJ who was transformed into a great frosh player by redshirting.

Dix looks physically ready, IMO.

He still might. Good point about the weight training to get his body ready. I do really like what I saw in him. He moved well on both ends of the court. His shot will fall and it will then start to come in bunches as his confidence grows. Another solid weapon on the floor.

OP should stick to his diatribes on the football program because he seems to have very little knowledge of McCaffery's basketball team. I thought every one of the shots Dix took was justified and I suspect Fran did as well. I'd bet some night soon, Josh will nail a fistful of threes. We need to remember that we are talking about a young man, coming off a horrific injury, playing his first true game at home in front of his fans and cut him a little slack if he was a bit tight. Just like anyone else on their first day of a new job, he will adapt and become more comfortable and eventually succeed.
He doesn't have much knowledge of the football team either. He's a pro troll.

Reactions: nelly02
He doesn't have much knowledge of the football team either. He's a pro troll.

ADVERTISEMENT